Genie Widget (News and Weather)

This is a discussion on Genie Widget (News and Weather) within the Droid X Apps forums, part of the Droid X Extras category; This was posted about a month ago with the original 2.1 gallery, but I wanted to give this its own thread. For those of you ...

Thread: Genie Widget (News and Weather)

X Conveyor Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times

Genie Widget (News and Weather)

This was posted about a month ago with the original 2.1 gallery, but I wanted to give this its own thread. For those of you coming from a Droid 1, this won't be anything new.

For those X owners who haven't had an Android device in the past, this is a very cool widget that came stock 2.1. Motorola removed it and gave us an unergonomic alternative to a news widget, and a weak weather widget.

The widget has three options, seen in the first image. News only, Weather only, and News & Weather combined.

Clicking on the weather will bring you snapshot for the day an overview of the rest of the week.

Tapping the screen here toggles between this view and a graph showing the temperature and humidity. There is a sliding bar that you can move to view the source-data for the graph at any given time.

Tapping on a news article from the widget brings up an overview of the topics in that article's category. Tapping on any article here brings it up in a (usually) nicely formatted non-browser window.

The settings, of course, allow you to select from preset news categories, as well as add custom categories of you own. You can set your weather manually or use geolocation.

The file is attached below and is INSIDE the zip. This is not a case where you change the extension from zip to apk. Extract the apk from the zip.

You will need to have Unknown Sources checked in Settings->Applications in order to install programs outside of the market.

Happy Birthday Spray, I'm Disappointed in You.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Lurker
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 70
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I agree that this app deserves its own thread. It is a MUST have for me and I'm sure others would appreciate what it offers. I don't use the news option, but having a detailed hour by hour weather report AND a summary for the rest of the week is so convenient. If you ride a motorcycle, this app is great to help judge the risk of riding in rain throughout the day.

Agent X
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Overall activity: 1.2%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    Old thread.. Sorry but I guess this is the place to discuss. I just rediscovered this widget. Remember it when my X was stock a month ago (was 2.2 from factory).

The widget shows up in my list just named "News and Weather".
    I wasn't sure if it was a google or motorola widget but I guess post one clarifies that.

I'm actually using it now, replacing both fancy and beautiful clock/weather with this and another clock for a nice clean look along with smooth calendar. Those three occupy my main home now.

I'm digging it.. It's simple clean and appears to work nice. If the background had some customization it would be absolutely lovely, but as is, it's not bad.

Not sure I understand the original post.. So was there a previous version that was cooler? Mine on my 2.2 X looks exactly like above actually.

Agent X
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    This comes stock 2.2... might be called something else in the widget list, but in system/app there is GenieWidget.apk

I personally love the Android Weather widget (not this one - the one with actual weather photos)... I love the pictures
    Troubles installing OTA 2.3.340 Update? Click Here

Installed the GenieWidget.apk on my Droid Razr, but when I try to create the widget it force closes

Nevermind, problem solved: Got a better version of GenieWidget.apk on this thread Geniewidget.apk [Archive] - xda-developers Direct link to apk is http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37774032/GenieWidget.apk

Remove Ads

Ads