There’s an App for That. But Why?

This is a discussion on There’s an App for That. But Why? within the Droid X Apps forums, part of the Droid X Extras category; In my opinion, there are many unneeded “apps.” Over the long holiday weekend I spent some extra time going over my new phone. My wife ...

Thread: There’s an App for That. But Why?

X Informant
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Lightbulb There’s an App for That. But Why?

In my opinion, there are many unneeded “apps.”

Over the long holiday weekend I spent some extra time going over my new phone. My wife calls it playing. Along with having the phone for about a week, it was OTA upgraded to Gingerbread a few days ago.

The pre-installed Gmail app. was lacking in features. For example, selecting a batch of messages for deletion was not available. Out of curiosity, I logged into m.google.com and clicked the Gmail link. Most of the features I was missing were there - with no app. I found pretty much the same thing with Google Reader.

For pre-installed apps the internal weather app/widget is satisfactory. Sure, there aren’t many customizations, but it gets the job done without installing another app.

The Motorola widget for date/time is lame - if only due to no option for a vertical display and no choice for black as a background color. There’s a horizontal display showing time over date. Anything other than that displays the time, date and a calendar. Way too large and impractical for day to day use. I will continue my search for a simple time/date/temp widget.

The Android News & Weather app is simple but effective. News and weather are accessed through a series of tabs once you click the widget. The news comes from Google’s News page. If you are logged in to your Google account, it gives you your custom selections.

Don’t get me wrong, the Google News page is fine. But, I prefer to choose my own feeds. I’m a fan of The Associated Press and Reuters. That’s where the Google Reader comes in handy. And, because I can access it through the Google mobile site there’s no app to install.

I know I may miss out on features like notification. But, it’s not too often I have to know the very second a message arrives or a news story breaks.

Those are my thoughts. What do you think?
    Joe Check out my Droid X 960 x 854 Wallpapers HERE.
    • System version: 4.5.596.MB810.Verizon.en.US
    • Model number: DROIDX
    • Android version: 2.3.3
    • Baseband version: BP_C_01.09.12P
    • Kernel version: 2.6.32.9-g34b306d
    • Build number: 4.5.1_57_DX5-26
    • ERI version: 5
    • PRL version: 30069

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    573 times
    I've used stock apps and other basic apps and thought they were fine. Until I tried a different app for one of those functions. Weatherbug for example. MUCH better than TWC's app, which I used since I got my x. Or TweetDeck or Tweetcaster instead of the stock Twitter app. Or lots of things. Once I tried the more fully-featured apps I realized how much better they are.

It's a case of "you don't know what you're missing..." Free apps are cheap to try and easy to remove if you don't want them.

That said, there is a ton of crapola out there
    "FEZ aims to create a non-threatening world rich with ambiance,

a pleasant place to spend time in."

Remove Ads

Ads