Vaporware UI's / Home Replacements - Ambitious and Never Cease to Amaze me

This is a discussion on Vaporware UI's / Home Replacements - Ambitious and Never Cease to Amaze me within the Droid X Apps forums, part of the Droid X Extras category; So I've been following a thread or two on development of a new 3D-style UI called Claystone.. Don't see any mention of it in here ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Vaporware UI's / Home Replacements - Ambitious and Never Cease to Amaze me

Agent X
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Overall activity: 1.2%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    So I've been following a thread or two on development of a new 3D-style UI called Claystone.. Don't see any mention of it in here so figured I'd post up a link in an already created thread.
    Claystone Beta 3- 3D Android home screen replacement and media player - xda-developers

"What is unique about this home screen replacement is a 3D user interface with embedded viewers for video, photos, file browsing, web browser, YouTube, contacts, RSS news feeds, and more. The UI was designed for browsing content while you are viewing content. "

..Looks pretty groovy. May give this new beta 3 a try for giggles.
    I need two DX's.. One to try rom's on and one for MIUI because it's THE daily driver for me so I'm not messin' with it.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 125
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Just found a new one called sweeter home. Started a thread in the app section about it. Customization possibilities seem endless. In beta so have to download from their site. Posted a couple screenshots, one is a premade theme and the other is one I'm working on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Agent X
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    Interesting.. That one I thought had been around for a while but was defunct.. But if they just updated a beta, I guess they're not dead yet. Nice I'll hunt for your thread.

oh... On that home screen check out some of Kimbo Price's older screenshots in Sweeter Home, I think.. Pretty cool!
    I need two DX's.. One to try rom's on and one for MIUI because it's THE daily driver for me so I'm not messin' with it.

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 125
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Yeah I guess it has been around for awhile, but they just released beta 2 to the public in April I think. I've got a theme I'm working on atm and man this thing is in depth, up to ten layers and just so much you can do with it. Hope they don't give up on it cause I see the possibility of this thing being the new standard in home replacement for people that like to have things just the way they want them.

I use my X on a daily "BASIS"

Agent X
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    Guys.. No joke.. I gotta tell ya. I figured why not. I dl'd the latest *Spark UI from market which still considered a beta. I remember trying it some months ago and it was buggy, laggy and had weather location issues among others. Since then they've obviously improved it. I'm actually considering rocking it for a while. Here's some brief impressions:

- Weather location business.. FIXED, and it pulls from Weatherbug which I like.

- Feeds and feed animations.. FIXED, and no more weird scrolling anomolies. Can be improved by inclusion of controls over sources like other readers. Might be there and I haven't found yet. Looks and performance on my ApeX'd phone are so far outstanding.

- No Widgets?!?!?! Wrong.. Bottom right dock button (android guy) pops up a left/right scrolling home allowing icons and widgets! VERY nice touch. Granted in this UI, about all you'd need are battery % and power toggles. I have widgetsoid and a min text clock running and that's all so far. For the 4 (I think) screens there, I think ideas of grouped app shortcuts. hmmm.

- Quick app access.. Place your favorites for quick access in a left/right scrolling "4x1" section provided just under weather. Works flawlessly and easily modded. On my phone (mileage may vary), getting to the mod screen to select apps was extremely quick, which is a pet peev of mine.

- Dockbar modification.. None that I know of but the icons provided are clean and match the UI so I personally am good with it.. "One less thing", to quote Forest Gump.

- Locations.. Even my horse n' buggy town was available for weather and deals. This was a huge gripe in the earlier version. I don't know if the app gave the choice by my actual location, but I was cheezing like a cheshire cat when I saw my town.

- Status of the development. Extremely active. They're on Twitter and consistently tweeting about shows etc in the industry, so whether work is being done, hehe the lights are certainly on at HipLogic and they're ambitious on advancing *Spark. Hint: More tweets about the UI development would really be interesting for those watching the product.

- Social feeds (FB and Tw).. Not bad. They show the feed, but tapping on one either only takes you to the main screen of the app, or the link in the status update. Taking that interface one step further possibly to the actual feed expanded or within another app (at that feed) would be more complete.. Even if just how Launcherpro+ or Blur widgets open social feeds would be adequate given the complexity of the task, I think. My thought was "keep in mind, we're still beta".

So I'm impressed highly and pleasantly surprised after a less than huge first impression long ago.. The UI is by concept a lot like slide-screen, except a more conventional android graphics look with your wallpaper and minimal white text. I've played with it just a little bit but it appears to perform extremely well and looks fabulous with maybe just a couple quirks that may be by design as opposed to a bug (tastes differ I suppose). I'll try to get some screenshots later. I recommend a try. A good hour or two of it and it will definitely grow on you. As a "vertical scrolling, feed-based" UI, I think this product would be THE Windows Phone 7 killer. The sections are actually something besides large 1x1 or 2x1 tile icons as glorified versions of the app drawer in the current android WP7 emulator UI's. *Spark is on a completely different level.

It's a free beta so there are ads in the feed screens which detract from it's sharp looks but that's to be expected for free beta.
    Would I run and purchase a full-blown final version? If it were even better than this one with a bunch of controls over feeds, I do believe I'd hang up the hat on LP or ADW and run with *Spark. I think it's that cool.
    Last edited by bsbabcock; 05-04-2011 at 10:16 AM.

Agent X
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    96 times

Screenshots as promised

What I can't show you is the windows phone style rotation/animations of the feeds on the main screen, similar to blur status widgets

Tap Weather to open expanded Weatherbug supplied data for multiple user-spec'd locations

Feeds: Social, News, Sports Scores

*Spark "shortcut screen" or "home screen" by tapping little Android (7 4-row screens provided)

*Spark App Drawer, vertical scrolling

And Gratuitous pic of my cool new dialer in ApeX GB 2.0.0

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bsbabcock; 05-04-2011 at 10:08 PM.

Agent X
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    So it appears the one in the post above *Spark UI, I think may be dead, which is a shame.. It was vertical scrolling with an almost WP7 feel. I think it had a lot of potential.

In contrast, it appears Claystone Launcher is now out of beta and in the market. I've run it.. Pretty cool. The 3D launcher thing is starting to take off it appears. Also some themes popping up for it. UI development is still alive and well it appears.
    https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Great thread. It's a shame there aren't more cool ideas like these out there.

That Claystone thing looked ok except for the lack of feedback in swiping. You have to go all the way across the screen and then the new page just pops up instead of scrolling across. However, it got me thinking... is there anything out there that scrolls in 2 directions (X and Y)?

Moto's tri-profile thing is great. Having 21 home screens rocks. But I've never actually used other profiles because it's slow to switch between them, I'd rather just consolidate and/or use the app drawer vs hitting settings, then profiles, then picking the right one, then scrolling to the desired page. (god that sounds lazy of me lol!) Being able to scroll up and down as well as left and right would rock.
    Nextel i1000+ -> Motorola Razr V3 -> Droid X

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Remove Ads

Ads