QuickClock Advanced Official Feedback and Help Thread

This is a discussion on QuickClock Advanced Official Feedback and Help Thread within the Droid X Apps forums, part of the Droid X Extras category; Howdy Everybody! Welcome to the official thread for feedback and help regarding my app, QuickClock. I greatly appreciate all feedback, and the more detailed it ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 57 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: QuickClock Advanced Official Feedback and Help Thread

App Developer
    Developer
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times

QuickClock Advanced Official Feedback and Help Thread

Howdy Everybody!
    Welcome to the official thread for feedback and help regarding my app, QuickClock. I greatly appreciate all feedback, and the more detailed it is the more helpful it is likely to be. Below I will include a copy of the full and most recent help file. If ever you have any questions, you may post them here, PM me, or use any of the other contact methods listed on the About screen within the app.

Thanks & take care,
    Paul

A Request
    If you've used QuickClock, please post your thoughts as comments on the Market. They carry a lot of weight with users browsing the market looking for overclock apps, because knowledge is power!

Getting Started with QuickClock

The Short Version:
    1. Calibrate > Automatic > Wait
    2. Main menu > Overclock > Touch 'Profile' and make you selection

A wonderful video made by DebianDog: Overclocking Your Phone Using QuickClock, a Beginners Guider

Common Issues & How to Solve Them

I think that last version update broke the app!

Mayyybe, but try a fresh install first and see if that helps out.

Android Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > QuickClock Advanced > Remove
    Market > QuickClock Advanced > Install

This calibration is taking forever and it's testing negative VSEL?!

The app most likely was not actually given root access. Check on that in Superuser's list and log then wipe both Superuser's and QuickClock's app data by doing the following:

Android Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Superuser > Clear Data
    Android Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > QuickClock Advanced > Clear Data

I used the recommended settings but my phone still reboots!

Increase the Stability Buffer. It defaults to 15%, which works great for most people. Some can run lower, some need a little bump. If your device isn't stable and you think it's overclocking-related, try increase the stability buffer from the default of 15 to 20. You may also try bumping the Bare Minimum VSEL up by 1 or 2 in the Calibration menu using the Adjust button.

Whenever I reboot my phone, it's not overclocked anymore!

This is a safety feature to prevent your device from bootlooping. If you'd like for the settings to persist at boot, do the following:

Open QuickClock Advanced > Advanced menu > Boot > Read the dialog explaining the SDCard failsafe > Enable

I enabled the Boot option and now it just crashes every time it reboots!

I built in an SDCard failsafe so that even things get crazy, QuickClock will save your butt. If you set some unstable overclock settings to load at boot and your phone crashes shortly after booting into the Android OS, you just need to do this:

Remove your SDCard > Boot up the device > Disable the Boot option in QuickClock > Put your SDCard back in > Boot up the device

Getting Started, the Detailed Version

1. Open up the app and hit 'Calibration' then select 'Automatic' and ensure that all three boxes are checked so that the entire calibration process will run. *This is crucial if you want to get the most out of your phone's CPU.*
    - It begins at a universally functional setting at your device's minimum frequency then progressively sets the VSEL 1 lower every 10 seconds until the phone crashes. When the device reboots, the calibration will continue with the Max Speed Finder and will determine a reasonable max speed for your device. Once finished, QuickClock will know how low to set your voltages and how high to set your speeds.

2. Once the calibration is complete, head to the Overclock menu by hitting 'Overclock' from the main menu screen. Select a calibrated profile by touching the word 'Profile' or the name of the current profile next to it or by hitting the menu hardbutton and selecting 'Load Profile.' This will load and set to the CPU the calibrated profile of your choice.

3. If you'd like to customize your settings, put in whatever frequencies you would like to use as your four scaling points and hit 'Set CPU.' Make sure that your lowest speeds are at the top and your highest are at the bottom. If your requested speeds do not produce VSESL's exceeding 88 and are within the bounds of your device's minimum and maximum speeds, then the CPU will be reconfigured to the exact specifications you have given. If nothing crazy happens, confirm that you would like to keep the settings in the dialog that pops up. You may also check the box in the popup to save these settings to the currently selected profile.
    - If you have put in a speed that is too high for the phone, you may experience what people call 'turtling' where everything slows to a crawl. I've included an Anti-Turtler which requires you to confirm that you'd like to keep the settings. If you choose 'No' or do not say 'Yes' within 10 seconds, the default speeds and Stability Buffer will be loaded and set. It also checks for lag while counting down and will immediately revert to defaults if it is able to detect significant lag time. Once you've set your new speeds, try them out for a while. If you find they aren't actually stable then just increase that stability buffer a little bit, or likewise decrease the buffer if you think you could go lower. When doing this or any other testing use the 'Calculate' button to merely display the calculated VSELs without actually setting them to the CPU. This way you can preview and check things out before they get set.

I've implemented as many safeguards in the app as I could think of, but there's always the possibility of damage to your CPU when adjusting these kinds of parameters. So have fun with it, but be smart and be careful.

Scaling Constraints

Setting Min and Max

On the first screen of QuickClock you will see four numbers aligned left to right below the current frequency and VSEL. These are the currently available scaling frequencies. The '[' and ']' indicate the min and max constraints that you may change by simply touching the current min or max then selecting the new one(s). If you have the scaling constrained to one frequency alone, then touching that number will remove both the '[' and ']' to indicate that you must choose both min and max. First select your desired min and then select the max.

Using Profiles

Loading a Profile

To load a profile, simply touch the word 'Profile' or the name of the current profile on the Overclock menu and then select the profile you would like to use from the list that pops up. If you prefer to use the menu hardbutton, you may click the 'Load Profile' button there to access the same list. When you choose one, the profile will automatically be set to the CPU.

Saving a Profile

When setting the CPU configuration using the 'Set CPU' button, you may opt to update the currently selected profile using the checkbox in the Anti-Turtler dialog. To save the current CPU configuration to a different profile, touch the name of the current profile then select 'Overwrite.' Alternatively you may hit the menu hardbutton while in the Overclock menu and select 'Overwrite.' There are four profile slots available for your use, and by default they contain a variety of useful configurations. The profile slots are color-coded to give further identity to each profile and because colors are fun. If you choose to save a new configuration, the information previously in that slot will be overwritten. You will be prompted for a name, which you may leave the same or alter in as creative a fashion as you desire.

Exporting Profiles

If you would like your profiles to be exported for any reason, you may select 'Export' from the hardbutton menu on the Overclock screen. This will write all four profiles to one Zip archive (named as you choose) on the SDCard. The profiles are exported in the same format used by Droid Overclock and may, therefore, be imported into that app if you like.

Some Definitions

Bare Minimum Voltage/VSEL (BMV)

The lowest possible VSEL setting at a given frequency that will not immediately crash the phone. This is not a stable setting, rather it is a point of information used to calibrate the application in conjunction with the Bare Minimum Frequency and Stability Buffer.

Bare Minimum Frequency (BMF)

The frequency at which the BMV is found. Again, the combination of these two settings does not produce a stable result. That is where the Stability Buffer comes in.

Bare Minimum Pairing (BMP)

Any BMV and BMF pair. e.g. 15 VSEL @ 300 MHz one for me, but so is 66 VSEL @ 1400 MHz. They both are points at which lowering the VSEL by one would result in an immediate crash.

Stability Buffer (SB)

The percentage to increase calculated bare minimum pairings. This defaults to 15% (originally 13%, but that proved less stable on 2.2.1).
    Last edited by pandapaul; 07-20-2011 at 11:28 AM.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsThree FriendsCreated Album pictures100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    243 times
    Thanks for an incredible app Paul

X Operative
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 149
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    this might literally be the best app for my droid x.

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Question...

Am getting some stability issues. Namely occasional lockup or reboot into bootloop.

As suggested I went to increase the buffer from 15 to 20 and saved it to the profile. But if I back out and go back into quickclock and to overclock it shows it back at 15.

If I re-select the profile it goes back to 20 but again if I back out and go back to it then it shows 15 again.

Should I uninstall and reinstall? Because I an still getting occasional lockups and bootloops.

Thanks in advance

DX- rooted, strapped, OC'd, and themed how I like it.

X Operative
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Overall activity: 0.8%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Getsome122 View Post
    Question...

Am getting some stability issues. Namely occasional lockup or reboot into bootloop.

As suggested I went to increase the buffer from 15 to 20 and saved it to the profile. But if I back out and go back into quickclock and to overclock it shows it back at 15.

If I re-select the profile it goes back to 20 but again if I back out and go back to it then it shows 15 again.

Should I uninstall and reinstall? Because I an still getting occasional lockups and bootloops.

Thanks in advance

I am getting the same result. I tried leaving clock speeds at stock but use the lower vsels and I get freezes and have to reboot. I have stopped using the app because of this.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    332 times
    So just to be clear you set the buffer to 20 and re-ran your VSEL calibration?

If you have or have not: I would reset the whole thing by uninstalling and installing or Settings -> Manage Applications -> All -> Force Stop app and remove data for QC

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Did not re run vsel calibrations. Just changed the buffer in the profile as suggested by people on here and I think in the help file. Gotta recheck that.

Working on four lockups with reboots today now. Going to shut down quickclock for now till I have time to mess with it cause it was caught in a boot loop when my alarm was supposed to be going off today and I overslept an hr.

App Developer
    Developer
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Regarding Stability Buffer

Stability Buffers are saved to each unique profile. If you want to use a stability buffer of any particular value, you MUST save the profile. This will store the values and you should not have the issues you're describing. If you continue to, try uninstalling and reinstalling because things should be working just fine along those lines under normal operation

EDIT: Well I'll be damned! The overwrite function doesn't save the stability buffer, but the Set CPU autosave checkbox does! I'll have this fixed up in a jiffy for you guys! All apologies and keep the feedback coming! I'll always fix 'em if I can
    EDIT AGAIN: 1.7.0.3 should have this fixed up.
    Last edited by pandapaul; 07-12-2011 at 01:59 PM.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    459 times
    idk but i added a comment to help out

poeple comment on apps like handcent saying they now get 2 notifications and stuff like that. idiots like that dont deserve a smartphone IMO

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    332 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pandapaul View Post

Is this a joke app?? 1960s Atari text. Nothing and I mean nothing works. If you have a $750+ phone, don't trust this app.... its junk and dangerous...

I just don't know what would cause someone to post that. :-/
    I flagged it as spam and moved my rating to 5 stars to offset his silliness

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 57 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Ads