Extended Controls - Shortcut App toggle

This is a discussion on Extended Controls - Shortcut App toggle within the Droid X Apps forums, part of the Droid X Extras category; If you use Extended Controls ("EC"), you are probably very aware of the toggles related to different settings, such as Bluetooth, Brightness, Airplane Mode, GPS, ...

Thread: Extended Controls - Shortcut App toggle

X Lurker Achievements:
    3 months registered31 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Question Extended Controls - Shortcut App toggle

If you use Extended Controls ("EC"), you are probably very aware of the toggles related to different settings, such as Bluetooth, Brightness, Airplane Mode, GPS, Silent/Vibration, etc., as you can see in this sample pic:

For toggling those basic settings I actually prefer Quick Settings, but the "Shortcut App" toggle in ec seems like it could be very helpful to put a bunch of shortcuts to apps together.

I am trying to use the "Shortcut App" toggle in Extended Controls to fit more shortcuts (more than the default 4 across that my Droid X allows) on one home screen.

An example of what I mean is shown on the top of the pic on the right:
    ExtCont-examp.jpg
    On the bottom-left of the pic above, you can see the EC settings for this bar. If you click "+ Add new toggle", and scroll to the bottom of the resulting screen, you will see the option to add a "Shortcut App" toggle to the EC bar (as shown on the bottom-right of the pic above).

My question stems from what happens when you click the "Shortcut App" option.

When you do that, the Droid X loads a list of all of the executable files from programs loaded on your Droid (can take a few moments) as shown on the left of this pic:
    ExtCont-executables.jpg
    At first, this seems easy, thinking that you will just select the program name as you are used to it appearing. However, when you click on the title of the app name, you realize that each program has one or more executable files that actually make the program run.

So, when you click on the name of a program, it actually expands to reveal the underlying executables, which are named in crazy ways that only somewhat make sense to the non-developer.

As an example, let's use the Dialer app. All I want to do is put a link to open the Dialer app in the EC bar that I am creating. But, the left side of the pic above shows what happens when I click on the Dialer app, revealing the many executable files that run the Dialer app program.

So, to get the shortcut to the app to appear in the EC bar, I have to select the correct executable file that runs the program. Choose incorrectly and it can make the app crash or it only loads a portion of the app.

(Another example is trying to get the Maps as one of the toggles in the EC bar.)

So... My first question is, how can I find out what each of the executable files does for each program?

The problem gets worse when you click on "All" (as opposed to "Executable"), which includes many more of the underlying program files. An example of the many different files for Dialer are shown below.

Which leads to question #2: How can I find out which of the 52 different sub-files for the Dialer app actually launch the Dialer program as I am used to seeing it?

ExtCont-DialerAll.jpg

Whew... am I nuts or is that more confusing than it really needs to be?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I my Droid X! Why did I ever waste time on Blackberry?

Current phone: Droid X

Android version: 2.3.3
    System: 4.5.596.MB810.Verizon.en.US
    Trashed: Blackberry Curve 8330

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Agent X
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 2.6%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    ummm, ini mini mini moe!

(my finger landed on 12 key dialer lol! sorry not to make fun, but thats interesting.)
    Addicted to technology but don't always get it!

Remove Ads

Ads