Sipdroid - Free VOIP Via Google Voice

This is a discussion on Sipdroid - Free VOIP Via Google Voice within the Droid X Apps forums, part of the Droid X Extras category; cool, has anyone noticed that 3g calls are laggy? This is probably normal, or it could be because I have poor 3g reception in my ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Sipdroid - Free VOIP Via Google Voice

X Operative Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    cool, has anyone noticed that 3g calls are laggy? This is probably normal, or it could be because I have poor 3g reception in my office.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Technician X
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 421
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    157 times
    Mine haven't been.

Try it in EVDO only mode and see if it makes a difference.

You can also change the audio codec in the settings if you do have signal issues. Change the 64 kbit codecs to never use.

X Operative
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Would really only use it with wi-fi?

Technician X
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    157 times
    Actually it works really well over 3G. That was my experience anyways. Phone calls only use ~1.2 MB per minute, which 3G easily carries.

X Operative
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Snow, I just noticed my question mark in my last post. I meant, I'd really only use it on WIFI because Google Voice already works over 3G and GV has better calling rates than Skype. Mind you, it occurs to me that if we were data roaming in Canada, calling over 3G with SIPdroid would be a lot better than roaming call rates so I stand a bit corrected.

X Informant
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Also, if you want google voice to work purely over IP, remove your mobile from the call forwarding in google voice settings. Just leave Google Chat checked. That way whenever a call is placed to your google voice number, the call will only forward to your phone via sipdroid.

I'm not seeing this in Google Voice Settings. Where would that be? And "purely over IP"....is that just using WiFi instead of 3G? This was really cool, by the way. I mistakenly thought that Google Voice was always not using my phone minutes. Glad I didn't use it a lot before I learned all this from your tutorial! Thanks!

edit: I found the Google Voice Settings....option found when I signed into my Google acct. on the computer, not on the phone. So, if I just leave Google Chat checked and uncheck my mobile #, I'll still get the call to my phone but it'll just be free? Or does it matter if mobile is checked or not to make it free for incoming calls?
    Last edited by jumphour; 01-09-2011 at 04:26 PM. Reason: found answer

Technician X
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    157 times
    Correct. If mobile is unchecked, incoming google voice calls forward through sipdroid and will be free.

I included the EVDO only instructions so you could confirm your settings are correct and you weren't somehow calling using cellular minutes. If sipdroid works in EVDO only mode, there is no way it can make calls except over data. It's just a self check to make sure you set it up right, that's all.

Technician X
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    157 times
    Are the rates better than free? Because this places free calls, and just uses your existing data plan. And google voice does NOT call over data. It works by calling the number you dial, then calling your phone, and connecting the two calls. It most definitely uses minutes, unless you have free incoming.

That's what makes the sipdroid implementation worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by nycebo View Post
    Snow, I just noticed my question mark in my last post. I meant, I'd really only use it on WIFI because Google Voice already works over 3G and GV has better calling rates than Skype. Mind you, it occurs to me that if we were data roaming in Canada, calling over 3G with SIPdroid would be a lot better than roaming call rates so I stand a bit corrected.

X Lurker Achievements:
    31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    HELP !

I also "messed up" the Google gmail account address, I tried it with my own gmail account for testing on my friend's phone but now SIPDROID won't let me change it. I've tried uninstall and reinstalling it three times and my old gmail account seems to be STUCK in the app.

X Lurker Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have sort of the same problem. I entered the wrong google voice password upon setup and there is no where i can correct it so therefore SIPdroid is not working for me. When I uninstall and reinstall it says Trunk Already in use. How can I change that!
    Quote Originally Posted by edpeng426 View Post
    HELP !

I also "messed up" the Google gmail account address, I tried it with my own gmail account for testing on my friend's phone but now SIPDROID won't let me change it. I've tried uninstall and reinstalling it three times and my old gmail account seems to be STUCK in the app.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Ads