How to downgrade an app?

This is a discussion on How to downgrade an app? within the Droid X Apps forums, part of the Droid X Extras category; Hi, Can anyone tell me how to downgrade an app? I'm hoping this is possible on a non-rooted phone. Alternatively, is there an app similar ...

Thread: How to downgrade an app?

X Informant Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

How to downgrade an app?

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to downgrade an app? I'm hoping this is possible on a non-rooted phone.

Alternatively, is there an app similar to Qik? The latest version will not record videos on my Droid X. Force-close after pressing the red record button.

I usually don't update my apps simply because of this situation. Unfortunately, since I'm unable to backup my apps I'm forced to update them when the Droid X itself decides to no longer cooperate.

Thanks,

David

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Member #
    Liked
    786 times
    Actually its best to contact the developer if you have problems with an app. On market go to the problem app and email dev in order to make them aware of any problems. Most devs are great at fixing bugs in their apps. Not sure about the video question though. Go to settings>manage applications>all tab>select the problem app and force stop then clear system. Then try the app again.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the advice. I've already tried force closing and clearing the cache of the app as well as sending an email to the developer. I was just hoping to find a way to get the app working today, since I'm on vacation, seeing many beautiful sites for a few more days and I was hoping to be able to share video of them using the app which worked beautifully before.

At least I'm not using it for business.

Another question then, I guess....... .

Is there any way to keep my current version of an app so that, in the event that my device requires a factory reset I can reload the old version back on? I *really* want to find a way to use this thing at work but I can not be at the mercy of some developer who releases a buggy upgrade when my boss is asking for results. I need to have a way to handle things myself in the event that someone else screws them up, which clearly happens on the Android market.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Member #
    Liked
    786 times
    You would have to root and use an app called titanium backup. It allows you to backup an app after every update, if you wanted, and restore the backups as you wished. Or perhaps you CAN use astro file manager (free app on market). I know you can back up apps on there as well. I haven't really messed with it too much since I prefer titanium backup. Give it a try.

X Operative
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 142
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    I would just go back to the market and select my downloads, the find the app your talking about, select, the you should see unistall updates. That should get you back to one previous.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Droid X Rooted W/ 928Droid BGX

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Member #
    Liked
    786 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lthelwpn View Post
    I would just go back to the market and select my downloads, the find the app your talking about, select, the you should see unistall updates. That should get you back to one previous.

I've never seen that option. Just checked it and the only options are to open or uninstall. You can also see more apps from the dev, their website, email, and flag as inappropriate. Not sure which option you're talking about.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lthelwpn View Post

I don't think this is an option since I just factory reset the phone as well (due to a different problem). Since then I didn't actually install updates, I just installed a newer version...

I think Titanium Backup is going to make the most sense at this point. Until now I haven't had a reason to root the phone. I don't mind paying $20 for the 3g hotspot but *THIS* is a problem which is quickly destroying my feelings about the phone.

I'll probably be rooting shortly. Hoping that it does not cause problems with anything else that I am currently doing/using. I've seen "for use on rooted phones only" before but not certain if I've seen "not for use on rooted phones."

David

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Member #
    Liked
    786 times
    Nope, rooted phones have the same access as nonrooted, except with root you can make changes to the framework of the phone. For example, you can get free wireless tether, remove unneeded apps, and backup your entire system, framework and all. Its quite easy and painless now.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks. I'll be working on that tonight.

David

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Member #
    Liked
    786 times
    Check out the stickied posts under hacks for some real nice info on rooting.

Remove Ads

Ads