Launcher Pro + live wallpaper = lag?

This is a discussion on Launcher Pro + live wallpaper = lag? within the Droid X Apps forums, part of the Droid X Extras category; Hey all. Normally LP is SUPER fast for me. Instant scrolling, it's buttery smooth and I have no hiccups usually. I've always avoided using LWP's ...

Thread: Launcher Pro + live wallpaper = lag?

X Informant Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Launcher Pro + live wallpaper = lag?

Hey all. Normally LP is SUPER fast for me. Instant scrolling, it's buttery smooth and I have no hiccups usually.

I've always avoided using LWP's on my Moto Droid because it didn't have enough memory to have a smooth experience. I remember that Nexus One owners didn't have the same problem, LWP's were smoother, probably due to it having a faster processor and more RAM. DINC users have more RAM too, and they said LWP's work smoothly on that phone.

On my Droid X using the stock motorola launcher, LWP's are smooth and scrolling/overall performance is unaffected. However, with Launcher Pro installed, regular wallpapers work fine, but LWP's cause a good deal of lag/slowdown, especially when scrolling, and a little bit in menus (like hitting the menu button from the homescreen).

Anyone else have a similar experience with Launcher Pro?

Just wondering if it is this way for anyone else... it's really kind of a big deal to me, but maybe not enough to keep me from using LP, especially since I paid for Launcher Pro Plus and like the new widget(s) that it comes with.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Informant
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered3 months registered31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm not seeing that. I haven't been running a LWP, but I just experimented with a few (grass, maps, smoke) and didn't see any slowdowns with those. I scrolled between pages, opened the menu. Ok, I just messed with the App Drawer, and there appears to be a subtle frame rate drop with a LWP. It's also happening with the stock launcher too, just a different transition effect. I'm running the new Launcher Pro Plus.

X Informant Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Alright, so it just seems that it still makes enough of an impact on memory usage to inhibit performance, even if it's only slightly on the X as compared to somewhat severaly on the original Droid.

Seems to confirm my suspicions.

X Lurker Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I had major lag using LWP without Launcher Pro. I went to a static wallpaper and lag seems to have disappeared.

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points500 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    It lagged for me befrore. Tried it again today and it doesn't seem to lag, though i still hate their widgets. I thought I saw a thread saying we could use the moto widgets in LP now but I don't see them.

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 71.4%
    Achievements:
    Your first Group500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Member #
    Liked
    358 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BOWIE View Post
    It lagged for me befrore. Tried it again today and it doesn't seem to lag, though i still hate their widgets. I thought I saw a thread saying we could use the moto widgets in LP now but I don't see them.

That is with LP+ the paid version.

Remove Ads

Ads