Using gps charger for droid x

This is a discussion on Using gps charger for droid x within the Droid X Accessories forums, part of the Droid X Extras category; Installed a mount for my droid x on my hayabusa. Have a gps car charger installed on the bike bc i normally have my gps ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using gps charger for droid x

X Operative
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 4.6%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Using gps charger for droid x

Installed a mount for my droid x on my hayabusa. Have a gps car charger installed on the bike bc i normally have my gps on it. I ordered a mini usb to micro usb cable so i can use the same charger to charge my droid x on the bike. Will the charger work fine without causing damage to the x? Should be the same voltage, but figured i would check before i try it so i don't damage my phone if it won't work
    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Supporting Member
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 900
    Overall activity: 0.9%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Member #
    Liked
    392 times
    Yes, as long as the voltages are stepped down then it should be fine. The bigger problem is with the vibration of the bike, esp. if you are mounting it in the bars. Many phones and GPS's made for cars, have suddenly died this way, since they are not built with this purpose in mind. Personally, I leave my phone in my pocket or tankbag wired into my helmet for music/phone etc, and use my Garmin 2610 for Nav. since it was made to take the vibs...
    Where my time is spent away from the office!

Technician X
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Overall activity: 0.7%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    88 times
    Mike what would be a max voltage? I don't see any info on my OEM charger

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Agent X
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 70
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    5VDC, just about all USB chargers have the same voltage.
    ---
    Liberty 3 -- too many roms too little time.

X Operative
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    If the GPS power adapter doesn't have the USB +/- DATA pins tied together, the DX won't go into charge mode. So if you try it and it doesn't work, that's why.

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Overall activity: 10.5%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by h8isgr8 View Post
    If the GPS power adapter doesn't have the USB +/- DATA pins tied together, the DX won't go into charge mode. So if you try it and it doesn't work, that's why.
    I just dissected a Moto car charger that died prematurely. It has only two wires - red and black. Thus it shouldn't matter if the USB signal pins are tied together because they don't go to the phone anyway. I believe that only applies to Moto AC chargers. Else, the PC's USB port wouldn't charge the phone. From Wikipedia, "A maximum of 5 unit loads (500 mA) can be drawn from a port in USB 2.0, which was raised to 6 (900 mA) in USB 3.0." Most folks are still on 2.0 which is why the phone charges more slowly that with the AC adapter. Faster with the Moto drivers, but still more slowly than on AC.

You can try the GPS charger. It may or may not work. The DX has an earned reputation for being very picky about chargers in general. I've tried a multitude (both AC and DC) with very mixed results. Other than genuine Moto branded chargers, the only one that's worked for DC is an IGO charger and required adapter plug ($$) that we got at Rat Shack for my wife's Fascinate.

The Moto AC adapter that came with my DX is rated at 5.1V @ 850mA. It's hard for me to believe that 100 millivolts is enough of a difference to prevent other chargers from working. But anything is possible.

Final thought: Automotive (and motorcycle) electrical systems are notoriously filthy/nasty/dirty - from an electrical noise perspective, so proceed with caution. If it were my phone, I wouldn't.

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Overall activity: 0.5%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Do yourself a big favor, don't waste your time playing around with any other charger other than the Motorola Genuine charger if you intend to use the Droid X for GPS. I have tried 5 different chargers including a genuine Verizon one and none can charge the phone faster than the GPS can drain it besides the Genuine Motorola one. Everyone says things like all chargers are the same, etc., they all have the same voltage, etc., it isn't true. The genuine moto unit charges the phone way way faster than any of the others.

X Conveyor
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fsand View Post
    Everyone says things like all chargers are the same, etc., they all have the same voltage, etc., it isn't true.
    HA! Next time someone says that, show them these:Guts_bot.jpgGuts_top.jpg

The Moto charger (Top - before it died) was one sophisimacated device. A LOT of engineering went into that one. Maybe too much.

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Overall activity: 0.5%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sweller View Post
    HA! Next time someone says that, show them these:Guts_bot.jpgGuts_top.jpg

The Moto charger (Top - before it died) was one sophisimacated device. A LOT of engineering went into that one. Maybe too much.

I wish I had those pictures when they did this to me. I had to use the laymans way (explained below). This all started because my GPS cradle failed. I went to the VZW store and explained my phone was no longer charging through the cradle. They gave me a new VZW charger. It still didn't charge. They then swapped my cradle. Not knowing any better at the time I kept the VZW charger and the new cradle. As the days went by I noticed my phone really wasn't charging well, it kinda seemed to be charging but it never charged up fully like it used too and some days it even seemed drained beyond when I put it in the cradle. It took me a few days to zero in on the issue but I figured out that the VZW charger was the issue. When I went back to VZW to complain I was told the chargers were the same and there was no difference etc. So I took the laymans approach to prove the point. I charged my phone at home to 100%, got in my car and plugged it up for the day with the GPS on and used it all day. With the VZW charger the phone was drained to about 30% at the end of my day. Next day I did the same thing with the Motorola charger. At the end of the day my battery was still fully charged. I then went back to the VZW store and presented them with the facts. They opened an essentials pack and replaced my charger.

X Conveyor
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    You're not alone. Layman's terms seems to be the only way to communicate with the in-store minions (ironically).

When I bought my first personal cell, it was in-store. It was junk and the "Service Department" fixed it three times. Frustrated, I called VZN Customer Care. They noted the account and instructed me to take it back and insist on a replacement. After a bit of "elevated" discussion (the store's rent-a-gorilla threatened to call the cops :-P), the manager produced a white-box phone. ultimately, I was banned from the store. So I called VZN Customer Care, related the whole thing to them (ironically again, the store manager's notes agreed with my story - though with slightly different embellishment), and VZN gave me three months of free service.

The moral of my story? "The squeaky wheel gets the grease", "The customer is always right", "If at first you don't succeed ...", yadda, yadda, yadda. I believe that we (Americans) are by and large apathetic consumers. We don't do enough to demand more for our money, so we tend to take what we get.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads