gorilla gadgets extended battery REVIEW... includes size, weight, measurements

This is a discussion on gorilla gadgets extended battery REVIEW... includes size, weight, measurements within the Droid X Accessories forums, part of the Droid X Extras category; firstly, this review is for the battery sold by gorilla gadgets specifically for the droid x. personally, i can't do without this battery on a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: gorilla gadgets extended battery REVIEW... includes size, weight, measurements

X Informant Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

gorilla gadgets extended battery REVIEW... includes size, weight, measurements

firstly, this review is for the battery sold by gorilla gadgets specifically for the droid x. personally, i can't do without this battery on a daily basis. i went from worrying about screen brightness every day to being able to use it in the sun (full brightness) without any worries or cares. and, for $25 you really can't beat the value. it matches the exterior finish of the droid x better than other third party extended batteries. its a 3500mah battery so it'll last you more than twice as long as the original battery, even though i tend to use my phone more now, and im also more inclined to leave my data syncing on etc...

benefits:
    you wont ever run out of battery life. ive tried taking video, streaming youtube videos, and other things. where before i could drain the battery in a good 6 to 7 hours and be looking for a charger, i have not yet been able to go through this entire battery in a 12 hour period no matter how much i use it.

drawbacks:
    its slightly heavier, and bulkier. you can feel it in your pocket more than you could before. that being said, i still use it at the gym in mesh shorts and it isnt any different to me even on the treadmill for music listening and/or checking news stories etc..

approx measurements:

the camera part comes out to about 1/2 (4/8) inches
    the battery part comes out to about 5/8 inches
    the thinnest part at the bottom with the speaker comes out to be about 3/8 inches.

thats 5/3 thicker than the original thickness of the battery section.

if i had to say anything, this battery is a great value, even for those who won't use it all the time. given that most phones nowadays are power hogs, i think the droid x is great at consuming tiny amounts of power when its idle. but, who wants an amazing phone that has that many capabilities that you're going to keep in your pocket all the time? id rather be able to use it all i want all day especially on sunny days, say at the amusement park or something like that.

pictures/comments:

as you can see in the above picture, it sits on the battery alone when you set it down. im not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but please note that with the physical buttons on the droid x (sitting on a flat surface not holding the phone) it will actually tilt when you try to click them. in my opinion the biggest drawback to the battery but still not a big deal.

just so you can get an idea of how big this thing really is. and how ugly it is lol... it looks better than the seidio batteries though, that's for sure.

so you can compare it with the original battery and its extra thickness. SLIGHTLY more than twice the size. sorry about the bad quality my extra camera is not very good

another comparison both batteries side by side. note that it is the original bh5x, not the bh6x

(i apologize for the wait on the weight, i'll get back to you on this once i borrow my friends jewelry scale)
    Last edited by fade2green514; 05-12-2011 at 05:19 PM.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Agent X
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Hello. Thanks for the pics, as they are handy. Just a heads up, there is already a thread on this. Mods will probably merge it. I've personally had this battery for quite some time and love it as well..I prefer the size because it seems to fit better in the hand Here is the thread I was talking about.
    Gorilla Gadgets 3500 mAh Review

3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    yes i would agree, there are other opinions on the internet about this battery including ones in this forum. however, when buying the battery i couldn't find any thorough reviews about it, with pictures, benefits and drawbacks. not only that but nobody else measured the batteries in comparison with the phone. on top of that, nobody had the weight comparison which i will be posting soon ... hopefully tonight if my friend texts me back.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    97 times
    Only one question? Is the batt temp sensor working property? I have an eBay one and it says that the temp stay around 84f I know that's not the case tho.
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift; that's why they call it the present. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    yes the battery temperature sensor works perfectly on it, liberty 2.0.1 battery info is currently reporting 24 degrees celsius.

for the record 84 degrees fahrenheit is not unacceptable. batteries tend to run pretty warm compared to room temperature. (24 celsius is 75 fahrenheit)
    Last edited by fade2green514; 05-12-2011 at 06:53 PM.

Agent X
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fade2green514 View Post
    yes i would agree, there are other opinions on the internet about this battery including ones in this forum. however, when buying the battery i couldn't find any thorough reviews about it, with pictures, benefits and drawbacks. not only that but nobody else measured the batteries in comparison with the phone. on top of that, nobody had the weight comparison which i will be posting soon ... hopefully tonight if my friend texts me back.
    Agreed. Great review here. And EVERYTHING works with this battery. Its a great deal. I would suggest also getting the external wall charger from them as well. Will help out and can be a life saver if you need to sbf and your battery is dead.

LiBeRtY TWOpointZEROpointONE

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    yea i thought about getting the external wall charger myself but i dont ever use up this battery in a day so i dont feel like ill really ever use it.

in fact, ive used it for two days straight probably medium amount of use, i wouldn't say light use because i was listening to music for awhile. this was with syncing turned off btw. the battery level ended up at around 20% (below 30% but before the warning for 15%)

for instance today im at around 78% battery life according to circle battery widget, and i unplugged it around 8 hours ago. ive been doing plenty of texting and playing some music on my computer speakers with it...
    Last edited by fade2green514; 05-12-2011 at 08:21 PM.

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Overall activity: 0.4%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    The other thread that was linked actually does have a lot of good info and comments on the battery which would have been good if you posted this there. Nonetheless a good post. I have the ebay "version" which the exact same thing only direct from the exporter and even cheaper yet than the GG store. I used my DX last weekend on a motorcycle trip using GPS for several hours. Recorded part of a ride with a GPS app, listened to music, and normal use...and it just lasts. I get a solid two work days worth of use when using this battery and I run with the DX and this batt in an SPI belt a couple times a week listening to Pandora and tracking the run so it does it does work. I won't go back to the stock battery unless this one dies and I have to wait for another one of these to come in.

X Operative
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Have you tried this in the car dock? Does it fit? I would love a big battery but use the car dock often.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Agent X
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TekWarren View Post
    The other thread that was linked actually does have a lot of good info and comments on the battery which would have been good if you posted this there. Nonetheless a good post. I have the ebay "version" which the exact same thing only direct from the exporter and even cheaper yet than the GG store. I used my DX last weekend on a motorcycle trip using GPS for several hours. Recorded part of a ride with a GPS app, listened to music, and normal use...and it just lasts. I get a solid two work days worth of use when using this battery and I run with the DX and this batt in an SPI belt a couple times a week listening to Pandora and tracking the run so it does it does work. I won't go back to the stock battery unless this one dies and I have to wait for another one of these to come in.
    +1 on that...but I'm biased because I started that thread lol

LiBeRtY TWOpointZEROpointONE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads