PDA

View Full Version : More Smartphone Buyers Choose Android Over iPhone [STATS]

JimMariner
10-15-2010, 05:09 PM
In the past six months, smartphone buyers in the U.S. were more likely to choose Android (http://mashable.com/category/android)-powered devices over any others, including iPhones.The Android platform has been strongly challenging (http://mashable.com/2010/08/02/android-outselling-iphone-2/) Apple’s mobile offerings for quite some time now, and the release of the shiny new Froyo (http://mashable.com/tag/froyo) (a.k.a Android 2.2) OS leaves little to be desired.

Software aside, Android-powered hardware is as diverse as it is impressive.
Android phones range from affordable models suitable for families with kids (e.g., Motorola’s Charm (http://mashable.com/2010/07/08/motorola-android-charm/), a surefire winner for the teen girl set) to high-powered, 4-inch, 8-megapixel superphones (http://mashable.com/2010/07/12/superphone/) fit to satiate the geekiest of gadget fiends (Droid X (http://mashable.com/tag/droid-x/) and Galaxy S (http://mashable.com/tag/galaxy-s/), anyone?).

All of those reasons, coupled with network diversity and relative affordability, have catapulted Android phones to a leading position for new gadget-buyers this year — no mean feat, considering that the iPhone 4 produced the “most successful iPhone launch ever (http://mashable.com/2010/07/20/apple-q32010-earnings/)” — which was accompanied by as much media hype as fan frenzy (http://mashable.com/2010/06/24/iphone-4-lines-video/).
Data from Nielsen (http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/online_mobile/android-most-popular-operating-system-in-u-s-among-recent-smartphone-buyers/) shows that despite a successful launch for the iPhone 4, Android devices still rose to capture 32% of the market of new smartphone buyers between January and August 2010.

http://cdn.mashable.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/new-android-purchases.png

Now, that’s not to say that Android is the number-one mobile OS just yet. While it’s popular as a choice for new devices, the iPhone predated Android phones by a few years, and Android phones didn’t truly become competitive with iPhones until recently.
For all smartphones, Android still holds third place (behind iPhone and BlackBerry (http://mashable.com/category/blackberry)); however, these numbers are likely to shift, given consumer purchasing trends.

http://cdn.mashable.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/android-iphone-blackberry.png

In the end, it’s hard to tell which mobile OS will come out on top, but we’re surprised that the diaspora of Android devices has made such strides in such a relatively short amount of time.
Have you bought an Android phone, an iPhone or a BlackBerry in the past six months? In the comments, let us know what prompted your decision and whether you’re happy with your choice.

Authored Jolie O'Dell (http://mashable.com/author/jolie-odell/)
Header image courtesy of Flickr, jesusbelzunce (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jesusbelzunce/).
Source (http://mashable.com/2010/10/15/android-iphone-popularity/)

maxpower
10-16-2010, 11:01 AM
I wonder if those curves will change once iPhone is on Verizon. I will most likely stick with Android as I am a very happy Android user but not everyone will. In my small world, it seems more people dislike AT&T more than the iPhone.

tk89
10-16-2010, 12:41 PM
I'm a former iphone user who switched over to a Droid X last month. So far, I LOVE my Droid X. I wouldn't go back to an iphone if they gave me one for free. That said, the inability to copy and paste from any app, any page of text, is a downer. I keep touching phone numbers on different apps waiting for the phone to automatically start dialling, but nothing, nada.

Another pain is trying to look up FedEx tracking numbers that have been sent to my email. There's no way for me to copy and paste the 16 digit number from my default Droid mail app to a webpage.

Other than that, I am sooo glad that I made the shift. Oh, and my extended battery lasts an insanely long time -- no more worries about recharging or power consumption on 3G.

surge
10-16-2010, 01:10 PM
The Iphone was not even a consideration for me. I didn't even look at one cause we don't have decent AT&T service around here. AT&T bought out Alltell in our area though and I expect the Iphone will be worth considering then, although not by me, I have the DX and am very happy with it. I was able to use a Blackberry and the original Droid and found the Droid was much nicer for my needs.

newdroidx
10-17-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm a former iphone user who switched over to a Droid X last month. So far, I LOVE my Droid X. I wouldn't go back to an iphone if they gave me one for free. That said, the inability to copy and paste from any app, any page of text, is a downer. I keep touching phone numbers on different apps waiting for the phone to automatically start dialling, but nothing, nada.

Another pain is trying to look up FedEx tracking numbers that have been sent to my email. There's no way for me to copy and paste the 16 digit number from my default Droid mail app to a webpage.

Other than that, I am sooo glad that I made the shift. Oh, and my extended battery lasts an insanely long time -- no more worries about recharging or power consumption on 3G.

get copy and paste from the market. then just long hold and boom you have options = )

DebianDog
10-17-2010, 12:49 PM
Not to be a total Apple fanboi but

The iPhone is one phone. How many Droid phones are there? 20-30??
The only reason I did not buy an iPhone in the first place is AT&T. Service BLOWS here. When iPhone comes to VZ I would bet you will see a shift
If 4G LTE comes out on the iPhone first I guarantee a shift.

That being said, biggest and most popular is not always best. I am a Mac user for petes sake ;)

tk89
10-18-2010, 12:20 AM
get copy and paste from the market. then just long hold and boom you have options = )

Awesome! Thx for the tip --

Dragon
10-18-2010, 02:13 AM
Yes the Iphone will give the network a run for their money ...I have a droid X and have so many problems out of it, that's is not even funny anymore..and the idiots at verizon store here, won't do nothing about cause they don't have problems with the Droid X....

The screen quits, at least once a week...Have taken photos on the camera and that are lost in (outer or cyber space). The droid is not all that a great operating system...Cause if you read all the complaints on here and other forums about the problems the phones have. You will see that all this hype will not last. The Iphone is a proven phone in every sense of the word. Has been proven way to many times. The phone is quicker than any droid on the market, including the precious droid X and the HTC incredible...

I've never gotten one because of the shi**y network and in the process of moving to att just to get the hell away from the f**ked up droids...

The droid will not last....You will see....As the saying goes, nothing last for ever...and even the iphone will disappear one day...

And Apparently copy and paste was never even consider for the droid operating system and that is a must have for any computer today.

dr. nate
10-18-2010, 06:02 PM
I haven't had any problems with my Droid X (knock on wood). However I am an avid MacBook Pro user and have found that my Droid supplements my laptop just fine. I do like the iPhone, but I would not make the move to an iPhone before LTE is here in Houston and I've been able to evaluate both the Android phones that are out and the iPhone to make my decision. I was a BlackBerry user for the past seven years, but made the switch because I wanted a more enjoyable media and web experience that the BlackBerry Tour or Storm 2 just couldn't deliver.

-Nate

DebianDog
10-19-2010, 10:35 AM
It is not like iPhones are not selling ;)

Quarterly iPhone unit sales reached 14.1 million, up 91 percent from the year-ago quarter, and the company also sold 9.05 million iPods during the quarter, representing 11 percent unit decline over the year-ago quarter. Apple also sold 4.19 million iPads during the quarter."We are blown away to report over $20 billion in revenue and over $4 billion in after-tax earnings - both all-time records for Apple," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "iPhone sales of 14.1 million were up 91 percent year-over-year, handily beating the 12.1 million phones RIM sold in their most recent quarter. We still have a few surprises left for the remainder of this calendar year."

domate
10-20-2010, 10:58 AM
In the end, it’s hard to tell which mobile OS will come out on top, but we’re surprised that the diaspora of Android devices has made such strides in such a relatively short amount of time.
Have you bought an Android phone, an iPhone or a BlackBerry in the past six months? In the comments, let us know what prompted your decision and whether you’re happy with your choice.

I held out for almost 3 years until I decided on the Droid X. I was a long time BB owner who just didn't like the Torch.

In all honesty, the iPhone was never a choice for me. There is something arrogant about Jobs that simply rubs me the wrong way, add to that... Android's open source approach.

Jobs' latest 'rant' about fragmentation shows someone worried about the competition.

Cheers!

Dragon
10-20-2010, 11:53 AM
I have an X and would like to throw it through a window...It's POS and have regretting it everyday that I got it...

tk89
10-21-2010, 12:47 AM
lol...I felt that way about my iphone. It got so bad, especially after Apple's horrible approach to 3G and 3GS problems with ios4 that I wanted to throw my iphone through the Apple store window near my office.

I love my Droid X, though, and will hopefully never have to buy an Apple product again.

bkflex
10-21-2010, 11:36 AM
I have an X and would like to throw it through a window...It's POS and have regretting it everyday that I got it...

You are a consumer in a free society. Feel free to chuck the phone and get a new model. Then perhaps oblique commentary such as this would be unnecessary.

joeyjackpot
10-21-2010, 02:32 PM
You are a consumer in a free society. Feel free to chuck the phone and get a new model. Then perhaps oblique commentary such as this would be unnecessary.

:greendroid: likes this

pstgh
11-04-2010, 07:54 AM
I didn't want to have Steve Jobs tell me what is right or not right for my phone, so I went with Droidx- and I love it!!!!

Jobs is about as far from the 'open' platform as you can get. Well, I know he's been very successful, but that is just not for me.

wrenchdoctor
11-14-2010, 07:43 AM
Well I left the iPhone only because at&t doesn't have 3g in my area, I really miss the iPhone though. I got verizon and the Droid X and it is a great device loaded with features, and data on this network is leaps and bounds better. However, the HDMI port on the phone is fairly locked down by Verizon. The copy and paste thing mentioned earlier was an issue for me as well until I read this thread, thank you whoever posted the fix for that. The touch screen is not nearly as accurate, I miss click on this phone all the time as opposed to hardly ever with the iPhone. To make it even more annoying the auto correct rarely ever picks the right word to replace the mistype with. It almost as if the iPhone knew what you meant to say better. I take the good with the bad though. Overall I'm happy with the Dx. It will serve me well until either iPhone finally sees the Verizon network or AT&T gets with the program and puts 3g in my neck of the woods (albeit just in time for 4g).

Say what you want to about "open", but the iPhones software is absolutley top notch. Android doesn't touch it. Although things like love wallpaper and especially Widgets are really neat features that the iPhone missed out on. IMHO, apples biggest downfall is its unwillingness to part ways with at&t and their heavily criticized network. Their second biggest downfall..... if they didn't think of it, it sucks..... ie, swype, flash. Androids trump ios there in a big way since they are happy to acknowledge that "hey, that's a great idea, we need that".

The range of phones available on the android market is one of its greatest strengths, and possibly its greatest weakness at the same time. Its a double edged sword from hell. Take a look at almost any game, or nearly any app for that matter, look at the comments. It will inevitably come down to a split decision because it works great on some phones and force closes on the others, or not at all on others. Who gets froyo and who doesn't. All of apples eggs are in the same basket. When an app hits their market..... its going to work on YOUR phone. The ios update that basically trashed anything under the 3gs was a huge mistake on apples end, so they have their own problems to say the least. Overall, android is definatly on their way up in the world and rightfully so.

plumcrazy
11-14-2010, 01:48 PM

Only one i know is for a rooted phone. if anyone has a link to this (i cant find anything but for rooted) i would appreciate it

pstgh
11-15-2010, 06:39 AM
Well...you do what you need to do (as long as Steve Jobs approves) and I'll do what I need to do- the simple fact is that Android is growing faster in the marketplace because it is a better os. It is also improving itself faster, which will sustain its growth up and beyond the iphone's current market penetration.

wrenchdoctor
11-15-2010, 09:26 AM
If the os is that good why is rooting so common on this forum, your having to hack the os to do what you want to do. I guess that's what you meant by "doing what you have to". I've been dabbling with the thought of rooting my DX myself, just to overclock the CPU to make it a bit less choppy. But then my warranty is smoked, hence my dilemma.

But 25 or more devices vs a single device on a ****ty network is hardly an indicator of a superior os, just a superior network and marketing scheme. Mathematically speaking, it was just a matter of time.

Try taking the blockbuster app off your phone without a root and THEN talk to me about Steve jobs and asking permission.choose your evil, its all the same in the end

joeyjackpot
11-15-2010, 11:09 AM
I don't know why people get so scared of this magical voided warranty. There's a bajillion people on this forum who have exchanged bricked, modded, rooted phones. The insurance company doesn't care. Your warranty is "give me a new one free." Your insurance is "Give me a new one for $80". If you REALLY ruin your phone, it's still only $80 for a new one - insurance companies don't care how you break your phone.

Also, you can simply unroot before you exchange it. Verizon doesn't get a notification in their system when you root your phone. Someone AT verizon has to look at your phone, note it's rooted, and care enough to report it. And if you brick your phone, there's no way for them to even know if you were rooted since the moto froyo OTA update bricked a bunch of devices you can just claim that's what happened to you. You can also flash back to SBF before exchanging so your phone will appear stock. There is no reason to not root.

BigdaddyN8
11-15-2010, 12:27 PM
I get bored easy and have owned a Blackberry, Iphone, and now my first Droid phone X, I have to say they are all unique in their own ways. The BB was great and ran everything the way it was designed to. With the downfall of the BB market where everything costs money. Didn't have a lot of personalizing compared to the Iphone. The Iphone was nice and worked wonders for me and I held on to that phone for a year (which means a lot coming from me) Yes its not on the best provider but still a great phone. And also not very personalized for the user other than organizing your apps the way you like that was it. Very un formal in my opinion. Now for 2 weeks now I've have my first android phone the X. I must admit I am in love with this phone and haven't even scratched the surface of its capabilities. Very unique in all the widgets and changing of screens its incredible what these droids do. Not to mention the market has so many apps. Yes it has its own issues like everyone else, in my own personal study the Droid X is the best phone on the market for me. I will NEVER go any other way. Not to mention this forum is amazing. I would like to sit down and pick some of these peoples brains so I could learn even more about the X. I 100% back droid x and android phones. Thanks for reading. =)

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

joeyjackpot
11-15-2010, 01:44 PM
I get bored easy and have owned a Blackberry, Iphone, and now my first Droid phone X, I have to say they are all unique in their own ways. The BB was great and ran everything the way it was designed to. With the downfall of the BB market where everything costs money. Didn't have a lot of personalizing compared to the Iphone. The Iphone was nice and worked wonders for me and I held on to that phone for a year (which means a lot coming from me) Yes its not on the best provider but still a great phone. And also not very personalized for the user other than organizing your apps the way you like that was it. Very un formal in my opinion. Now for 2 weeks now I've have my first android phone the X. I must admit I am in love with this phone and haven't even scratched the surface of its capabilities. Very unique in all the widgets and changing of screens its incredible what these droids do. Not to mention the market has so many apps. Yes it has its own issues like everyone else, in my own personal study the Droid X is the best phone on the market for me. I will NEVER go any other way. Not to mention this forum is amazing. I would like to sit down and pick some of these peoples brains so I could learn even more about the X. I 100% back droid x and android phones. Thanks for reading. =)

glad to hear. I think sometimes people want to sit around and argue about which phone is "best". There is no "best". "Best for me" is the best way to put it.

BigdaddyN8
11-15-2010, 01:51 PM
Pretty much what I was trying to say. No need to argue just get the phone you enjoy and have fun. LoL

Martin030908
11-15-2010, 01:54 PM
+1 to "best for me".

that's how it should be. anyone can argue til they're blue in the face over what device is better and never win...

wrenchdoctor
11-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Good point Joey, I didn't think of it that way..... I still have reservations about it even still. My biggest things about rooting my device; besides the obvious advantage of overclocking the CPU and removing all the bloatware, what else that makes rooting so good? Is there another advantage to doing this? The phone is as customizable as I would want, I can set up things the way I like it now without. The root. I'm just looking to get rid of the glitches that I assume are Software related.

joeyjackpot
11-15-2010, 02:37 PM
I use root to remove bloat. I also used Adfree to get rid of ads in games and my browser. That caused some issues for a minute with not letting me connect to websites other than google, but when i toggled Data off then on again, it was fixed.

I also downloaded a program that changes my boot logo (instead of the Mororola M i had the android mascot guy) and one that is a Reboot button so i dont have to turn it off then turn it back on with the buttons, just one widget to restart my phone.

However, my phone got kind of glitchy after those two, so I deleted them. I also deleted adfree the program, but it already changed my hosts file, so i'm still adfree even without the program. There's plenty of other crap you can do with root, most of which I'm not interested in. But considering that rooting was a one click process with a free program that took under a minute, the little advantages it has for me are well worth the 2 minutes it took to do.

wrenchdoctor
11-15-2010, 10:16 PM
Sweet, ill be looking into that then, thanks for the handy info joey

Also, simple point vs counterpoint hardly warrants arguing, I was simply stating my point of view and the multiple reasons I stand where I do on the subject. Not just an unintelligent "its better cause its growing faster" like pstfh mindlessly threw out there without the slightest hint of why he feels its better. If there's something I'm missing there I'm glad to hear it.
Bigdaddy has it right though, in the end you choose what works best for you. The device/network has to be a combo you can work with, which is exactly why I chose the Droid x. I found it to be the best Verizon has to offer (I was torn between this and the fascinate). In the past, I settled on the network to have a great phone, now I'm with a great network and am simply settling on the phone. But the DX is hardly a bad compromise, I'm only critiquing here.