PDA

View Full Version : 720P Video Testing Droid X vs. Panasonic HMC-40

DebianDog
10-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Yes I know it is not a "fair" fight but I just got the camera off eBay for a song and was curious how it stacked up head to head. Short 1 minute clip camera in each hand. Droid X fails hardest in stabilization. Never realized it was that bad. Also since it was kind of dark outside you can see the X adds a bit of gain (noise). Autofocus fails like it does on the camera, even with the majority of the screen on a near object it focuses on the background or splits the difference. Not sure there. The "good" camera seems to add a bit of red. I am going to have to look in to that.

All footage was imported in to an Apple ProRes 422 sequence then exported using the YouTube share option in Final Cut (MPEG4 at 1280x720 8K datarate). Footage shot in overcast conditions with light rain.

Be sure to watch it in HD. I think you have to go to the Youtube site for that (Double click video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQGhPBoOrzk

Masterxace
12-06-2010, 04:45 AM
My droid x takes the most grainy pictures. Wish I knew your settings or something.

maybish
12-06-2010, 04:59 AM
Mine takes really grainy pics too. I've played with the settings for hours. The only way to get good pics and video is to have lots if lighting

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

DebianDog
12-06-2010, 06:19 AM
Yes even with my new 3 chip HD camera the lighting if more important than it was before with my 3 chip SD camera. If I would have dropped like $3,000 I would have a better LUX rated camcorder.

As I have always said for "real" pictures and video use a real device (camera or camcorder). The Droid does great for a "phone".

dvdcatalyst
12-06-2010, 09:55 AM
Wow, that is a big difference. besides the stabilizing, the Droid X recording also looks a bit "washed out" and "blurry".

Could you do a video-compare with both placed on a fixed surface, such as a tripod or a table of some sorts, which *should* eliminate the stabilizing issue, and might give a good look on the overall image quality. Something with some fast-movements might also help.

DebianDog
12-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Yes I planned to since my HMC-40 video setting were kind of messed up. It looks better now than it did there. I will see if i can bust it out tomorrow.