PDA

View Full Version : Motorola announces the Motorola Droid Pro

danDroid
10-05-2010, 09:40 PM
http://www.droidforums.net/img/verizon-motorola-droid-pro.jpg

Verizon has officially announced the Motorola Droid Pro, the latest Droid which is aimed directly at business users. The words "Blackberry Killer" came to mind when I first laid eyes on this device. The new Droid Pro will feature push-email, corporate-level security, smaller screen, Flash support, and Android 2.2. Check out the entire press release here: Verizon Announces the Motorola Droid Pro - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/86763-verizon-announces-motorola-droid-pro.html) and for all discussions visit the Droid Pro Forum (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-pro-forum/)!

Usquanigo
10-06-2010, 08:32 AM
I must be missing something. What does this offer "buisness users" that the X does not? They mention Push Exchange and Calendar sync, my X does that (post 2.2), they also mention all the other things the X does - VPN, Flash, "PC-like web browsing", Android 2.2, 3G Wi-Fi Hotspot, DLNA....etc. All stuff the X has.

Looks like the only thing I'm seeing is remote wipe of the storage, which I suppose could be good for IT shops where companies buy large quantities of phones to hand out and manage. But a lot of buisness users supply their own phone and expense part of the bill, so that's not so useful there.

All in all, it looks like the same processor as the X (no word on RAM, I'm guessing same), with a tiny phyiscal keyboard, smaller screen and lower res camera.

More to the point, I don't see the benefit of this over the 2. If I were a user that needed a physical keyboard for whatever reason, between this and the 2, I'd go with the 2. It does all the same stuff, has a bigger screen, a better keyboard, and more internal storage with a larger pre-installed SD Card. Just seems like this "pro" is about a year too late or something. :confused:

CrashF16
10-06-2010, 09:21 AM
This will probably draw a ton of Blackberry users who are reluctant to give up their keyboard that they can type on with one hand while driving, walking, and bumping into stuff. Probably a good gateway device to bring them over to the Android side.

joeyjackpot
10-06-2010, 09:23 AM
I must be missing something. What does this offer "buisness users" that the X does not?

it looks like a blackberry.

Gee223
10-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Looks like a hurried job of trying to drive a coffin nail through RIM. They made themselves look like an easy target after the torch release, which actually HURT their market share. Droid Pro does not impress! It will be in the cheap bin within 3 months.

Usquanigo
10-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Looks like a hurried job of trying to drive a coffin nail through RIM. They made themselves look like an easy target after the torch release, which actually HURT their market share. Droid Pro does not impress! It will be in the cheap bin within 3 months.

The Torch 9800 hurt their market share? That's surprising. That seems to be the baddest a** BB there is. I can't quite explain it, but I feel there is an element of "cool" to BB's, however the pricing, capabilties, and physical dimensions (of keyboards and screens) have always left a lot to be desired. But the Torch seemed like they were finally getting somewhere. Unfortunately, it didn't quite nail it because of price (why pay iPhone 4 pricing for something with less screen (and less res) on AT&T? If they even just doubled the storage and halved the price, they'd have a winner (IMO), but combine that with an industry standard 3.7" screen size and it would rock).

I was a little surprised to see it be an AT&T exclusive though. I can say that that will help drop their market share by about 4 units fairly soon, as we are a Verizon shop, and while the C-level guys love their BBs, I've been flying the Droid banner and trying to sway them, and making progress. The killer is that the Storm II just can NOT compete on a $$ level with the Droid 2. Broken down on a rational level, reviews and complaints of the Storm aside, the CEO has now written off BB and will eventually go D2. The VP/COO will follow. Eventually the 2 sales people we suppleid with phones will as well, I'm sure. (though maybe DP now? Good lord.... that just hit me, "DP", what a name lol)

Show
10-06-2010, 10:25 AM
it looks like a blackberry.

I guess that's it

surge
10-06-2010, 11:33 AM
It's probably a good phone, but the 2 seems better and the X better yet. I don't want a physical KB.

Garemlin
10-06-2010, 11:53 AM
I personally think this one will do well for VZW. It is gonna attract those Blackberry users who wanted to jump to Android but didn't want to give up the Blackberry form factor.

Gee223
10-06-2010, 12:07 PM
The Torch 9800 hurt their market share? That's surprising. That seems to be the baddest a** BB there is. I can't quite explain it, but I feel there is an element of "cool" to BB's, however the pricing, capabilties, and physical dimensions (of keyboards and screens) have always left a lot to be desired. But the Torch seemed like they were finally getting somewhere.

Everyone was expecting something that could compete with the hardware of the current Androids or the iphone (intentionally not capitalized). The Torch has a low grade screen, slower processor and the memory isn't the greatest, especially with as much as OS6 takes just to run. The corporate world is RIMS bread and butter, but now others are enterprise capable, can do remote wipes, and have a pin lock making them viable alternatives with much more functionality. I did love my Storm until I started looking at the other toys out there. Once I started looking at specs I realized this was a turd even when it was new. I'm not surprised Big Red sent the Storm 3 packing before it even arrived, it was another turd. I like RIM, but they need to get off their buts and innovate.

Now the Playbook on the other hand... WOW!!! That is a win!

Usquanigo
10-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Everyone was expecting something that could compete with the hardware of the current Androids or the iphone (intentionally not capitalized). The Torch has a low grade screen, slower processor and the memory isn't the greatest, especially with as much as OS6 takes just to run. The corporate world is RIMS bread and butter, but now others are enterprise capable, can do remote wipes, and have a pin lock making them viable alternatives with much more functionality. I did love my Storm until I started looking at the other toys out there. Once I started looking at specs I realized this was a turd even when it was new. I'm not surprised Big Red sent the Storm 3 packing before it even arrived, it was another turd. I like RIM, but they need to get off their buts and innovate.

Now the Playbook on the other hand... WOW!!! That is a win!

It was really the price. If I was going AT&T, or had them already, then shelling out $200 for a phone with less than the iPhone4 doesn't make much sense. However, $99 would make sense, especially given all that it does have. And as I said, up the storage for that price and you really have something. Give it a better screen (like the D2), and it seems like a winner - to me. But I've never had a BB, so I don't have as much of a frame of reference.

The PlayBook's form factor is screwed. I'd take an iPad any day over that (personally). Ditto the Galaxy Tab, Dell Streak, or anything else like that.

smokecombs
10-06-2010, 03:24 PM
I have an X but all this "iphone killer" "blackberry killer" crap is lame. I like the android brand but I don't like all this monopoly talk, of them taking everything over. The consumer certainly doesn't win in those cases. Anyway, this phone just looks like a Blackberry. Nothing there that I can see that would make me give up a Blackberry unless it's cheaper.

Les
10-06-2010, 10:46 PM
The Droid Pro is a little blackberryish.. I do not like that... I will stick with my X!!!

didiwags
10-06-2010, 11:02 PM
Wow that is ugly!!!! And yes very blackberryish.....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jtdiddy
10-07-2010, 02:33 AM
I must be missing something. What does this offer "buisness users" that the X does not? They mention Push Exchange and Calendar sync, my X does that (post 2.2), they also mention all the other things the X does - VPN, Flash, "PC-like web browsing", Android 2.2, 3G Wi-Fi Hotspot, DLNA....etc. All stuff the X has.

Looks like the only thing I'm seeing is remote wipe of the storage, which I suppose could be good for IT shops where companies buy large quantities of phones to hand out and manage. But a lot of buisness users supply their own phone and expense part of the bill, so that's not so useful there.

All in all, it looks like the same processor as the X (no word on RAM, I'm guessing same), with a tiny phyiscal keyboard, smaller screen and lower res camera.

More to the point, I don't see the benefit of this over the 2. If I were a user that needed a physical keyboard for whatever reason, between this and the 2, I'd go with the 2. It does all the same stuff, has a bigger screen, a better keyboard, and more internal storage with a larger pre-installed SD Card. Just seems like this "pro" is about a year too late or something. :confused:

Actually, the pro has a bit more email features than the X. Apparently the pro syncs more folders like the sent and trash and also provides email widgets to the home screen.

If u goto to the moto site u can compare the X and the pro and see all the differences for yourself.

I for one am a bit angry that moto did not or is not making these pro email features available for the X, which is supposed to be their "flagship" android device....

Hello moto, alot of biz people use the X too...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk- Rooted 2.2 Froyo

joeyjackpot
10-07-2010, 08:41 AM
I agree about "iPhone Killer" and "Blackberry Killer"

iPhone was the everything-killer for a minute
Android is the iPhone monopoly killer
Blackberry is now being forced to innovate to stay in the game, and may not be able to really go there.

I don't want everyone on the same damn phone. I don't need another attack of the motorola razr or the iphone 3gs. let's here it for a little diversity and competition to drive innovation.

Windows Mobile/Palm OS killed themselves by failing to adapt and thinking they had a lock on people so they wouldn't have to change. I'm hoping they stay dead. I don't need to deal with microsoft or hp or any other PC makers trying to make phones anymore than I already have to.

Usquanigo
10-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Gotta 'love' Microsoft haters.... :rolleyes: Oy

Jtdiddy, my X syncs the sent items, by hitting the settings button, then Folders (you can also tap the account at the top, between the sync circle and new mail plus, that takes you straight into folders), I can see inbox, outbox, trash, sent, and all the outlook folders I've created. And this is going through the stock mail app, which has a most recent unread widget as well as shortcut right on the home screen. So again... I'm not seeing the difference.

However, I agree, the X should get whatever advances they come out with. But I wonder if that would reduce the marketability of new products. ::: shrug :::

One thing I wish it could do was sort mail by various criteria - date, sender, etc. Or even conversation thread style.

SingingSabre
10-07-2010, 09:53 AM
As a former Blackberry user (switched naught but last week!), I can attest to that keyboard. The keyboard is possible one of the greatest things of a BB, you can type only semi-looking with physical feedback as to where your fingers are in relation to the keys. Berries also have amazing email compatibility, I mean really amazing. They handle email as easily as other companies handle text messages. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how I want my email to be organized, so I know what to aim for with the DX...my Berry made it too easy and spoiled me for 2 years.

I, too, don't want a Blackberry or iPhone killer. I like the diversity in the phone world, it pushes technology and innovation. I love how my websites look on my DX's screen with flash, but they don't work on Berries or iPhones (alchemyphotography.com, check out the galleries...first 6 photos in the "concepts" gallery look amazing on the DX screen!).

What won me over with Android was the collaboration of Verizon, Motorola, and Google. I love the network of Big Red, I remember how solid my Motorola phones were of years past, and Google has become a bastion of positivity and innovation. That and Swype. Swype made me unafraid to lose my BB keyboard.

Now if we could just get some OEM software to sync up to a Mac...

Usquanigo
10-07-2010, 10:03 AM
As a former Blackberry user (switched naught but last week!), I can attest to that keyboard. The keyboard is possible one of the greatest things of a BB, you can type only semi-looking with physical feedback as to where your fingers are in relation to the keys. Berries also have amazing email compatibility, I mean really amazing. They handle email as easily as other companies handle text messages. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how I want my email to be organized, so I know what to aim for with the DX...my Berry made it too easy and spoiled me for 2 years.

Being a small shop without a BES, I have to say BB email handling is really NOT all that. It's just POP/IMAP, and anything can do that. iPhone and Android devices connect directly into Exchange. That alone makes the X more powerful when it comes to email, because it reduces so many supplemental hassles. My users learned to live with them, but they are definitely going to go Droid when they change phones - hands down.

Regarding the typing, you really should be looking at it, because you shouldn't be trying to type in a situation where you can't look, ya know? ;-) But that said, tap the mic key and speak what you want to type. If you're clear and enunciated, the phone will convert it exactly for you, no typing necessary at all. (it will take some geting used to, you can only do about a sentence or 2 at a clip, and it's a good idea to check it anyway, but then just hit the mic key again and add more - keep going as much as you want)

psychotic_penguin
10-10-2010, 12:51 PM
This will sell like hotcakes here where I live, almost everyone I know has a Blackberry they haven't embraced Android yet here in flyover country. I personally will be staying with the X.

MakaylaQ
10-11-2010, 12:49 AM
I like it! Some enterprise customers have said they'll never give up their Blackberry. Motorola is hoping the Droid Pro can change this. The Blackberry-style enterprise systems will make the phone much more business friendly. Nevertheless based on Android, though, the phone may have a distinctly different interface. Blackberry is certainly viewing the Droid Pro as competition. Can the two phones end up duking it out, or if one comes out on top is nevertheless to be determined. If you are going to take out a pay day loans to buy a Droid phone, this is one worth doing it for.

tony1208
10-11-2010, 11:29 AM
kinda reminds me of the centro...i guess the key pad is easier for the "business user" haha that or they trying to kill the black berry haha..i like it...wouldnt give up mt X for it thought :)

litspliff
10-12-2010, 05:14 AM
f'n weak. droid with a small screen and kiddie keyboard. cant see that flying off the shelf.

SingingSabre
10-12-2010, 09:50 AM
f'n weak. droid with a small screen and kiddie keyboard. cant see that flying off the shelf.

It's not about screen size for everyone. A physical keyboard can really help out and as long as the screen is large enough to do what you need, everything is good.

goldsmitht
10-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Not sure why all Phone Companies are going to the Blackberry style keyboard; got away from blackberry for that specific reason! My fat fingers need the DROID X style keyboards (touch screen) and personally like them much better!!!

zodder
10-19-2010, 09:20 AM
"Suppose"? Do you have any idea the amount of the fines for HIPAA related breaches? They are staggering. In health care, the ability to lock down phones and wipe them remotely is essential. My CEO lost her Tour about 3 weeks ago and within 2 minutes that phone was rendered useless to whoever stole it. If the info on that phone was able to be accessed, my company would have been screwed.

SingingSabre
10-19-2010, 09:29 AM
"Suppose"? Do you have any idea the amount of the fines for HIPAA related breaches? They are staggering. In health care, the ability to lock down phones and wipe them remotely is essential. My CEO lost her Tour about 3 weeks ago and within 2 minutes that phone was rendered useless to whoever stole it. If the info on that phone was able to be accessed, my company would have been screwed.

Exactly. I can't even post screen shots of my phone because I have names right on my dashboard, both of the company I work for with my day job (a fortune 200 company) and my side job (massage therapy). Thankfully, I do have the ability to remote wipe my phone.

Aleroniponi
12-24-2010, 01:17 PM
It's ok. I tried my friend's DP out and it works fine, if you like Blackberry's style of phone. The screen is a litttle on the small side, but the full QWERTY physical keyboard makes up for the fact.

Sent from my DROIDX