PDA

View Full Version : Removing the Bloat 2.2 OTA - (3 Ways) Super Easy & Safe, Safe & Easy, Free

Pages : [1] 2

DebianDog
09-29-2010, 03:29 PM
Disclaimer:
This is at your own risk. I, nor the DroidXforums take any responsibility for any harm this may cause your phone.

(Original Credit to TAYPOTTS and Abe21599 for this thread. Updated for 2.2 OTA and other finds)

Note: If you remove bloat and do not rename as shown you can no longer update your phone. i.e. when the next update comes out you will have to rename or "unfreeze" all your apps before updating to the next version. If you deleted apps you will have to find them somewhere and reload them. You have been warned. :p

If you DID delete them already here is a list of apps you can download and recover (http://www.chadhaney.com/droidXDefault/).

Step one: Get root (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/8268-droid-x-2-2-ota-1-click-root-available.html). If you do not want to do this, you can not remove bloat. Sorry.

DO NOT REMOVE or RENAME:

Verizon Backup Assistant
Blur Files (corp directory, files, voice commands, etc) until we get a 2.2 SBF File. Note: An SBF file is a full copy of the OS and everything and will make your phone like new again. You CANNOT use the SBF from 2.1 on your OTA 2.2 phone you will "brick" it.

Safe to RENAME:

Amazon Mp3
City ID
CarDock
Kindle
Blockbuster
NFS (you can actually delete this without root or anything just a regular app)
Verizon Visual Voicemail (if you remove this it WILL disable the Voicemail button on your dialer)
HelpCenter
3G Mobile Hotspot (mynet.apk)
News
News and Weather
Weather
Android Live Wallpapers
eMail and Gmail (if you use another mail program like K9)
Social Networking (If you do not use the internal Facebook, etc found in accounts)
VZ Navigator
Print to Retail
I am sure I missed some but if they never start and I never see them running who cares

How to:

Very Easiest - buy Titanium Backup for Root (http://www.appbrain.com/app/titanium-backup-%E2%98%85-root/com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup) and "Freeze" Apps you do not want running. Make sure "Chuck Norris" option is on. No, I am not joking.

http://tapa.tk/mu/487ca427-93ef-c67d.jpg

Second Easiest - buy Root Explorer app (http://www.appbrain.com/app/root-explorer-%28file-manager%29/com.speedsoftware.rootexplorer) from the Market. This is like the "Files" app on your phone but can see all of the system files, and change any file you see. BE CAREFUL!
Open Root Explorer

Find System and open
Find app and open
Click the Mount R/W to change to Mount R/O (in the upper right corner)
Find the "bloat" app and change the name to .bak
Example: CityID.apk ---> CityID.bak

"Old school" - AKA the "free" way - Terminal mode

Connect phone (make sure USB Debugging is turned on)
Open CMD/Terminal
Navigate to your Tools folder (from your Android SDK)
Type in "adb shell" you should see a $ sign
Type in su (this gives you permission)
Type "mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system"
Type in the command that relates to the app you want to rename

Example:

If you wanted to rename CityID:
/system/bin/mv /system/app/CityID.apk /system/app/CityID.bak

When down remount your filesystem
type "mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system"

Some Apps like My Verizon are odd it's directory is /data/app/com.vzw.hss.myverizon.apk and is also in /system/app/MyVerizon.apk

In other words, you may have to just search around until you find it.The LitSpliff List
Disclaimer: Removing some of these may limit the functionality of your phone...you have been warned. everything on the list i have been able to confirm by at least two sources, but i have not tried to mv them all myself. I take no responsibility for your results.

* 3G Mobile Hotspot /system/app/Mynet.apk
* AdService /system/app/AdService.apk
* Amazon Mp3 /system/app/amazonmp3_1.8.11_signed_zipaligned.apk
* Android Live Wallpapers, Live Wallpaper Picker, Magic Smoke Wallpapers /system/app/LiveWallpapers.apk, /system/app/LiveWallpapersPicker.apk, /system/app/MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk
* Bluetooth services /system/app/Bluetooth.apk, /system/app/BluetoothDun.apk
* Blockbuster /system/app/Blockbuster.apk
* Calculator /system/app/Calculator.apk
* CarDock /system/app/CarDock.apk
* CityID /system/app/CityID.apk
* Clock widget /system/app/ClockWidget.apk
* com.motorola.photowidget /system/app/PhotoWidget.apk
* Desk Home /system/app/Dock.apk
* DLNA /system/app/DLNA.apk
* Emergency Alert /system/app/cmas.apk
* Firmware Over the Air (FOTA) /system/app/Fota.apk
* FM Radio /system/app/FMRadioService.apk
* FMRadioService /system/app/FMRadioService.apk
* Gmail /system/app/Gmail.apk
* Help Center /system/app/HelpCenter.apk
* Kindle /system/app/redding-7648-signed-zipped.apk
* Madden NFL football (2.2 only) /system/app/Madden.apk
* MediaShare /system/app/homeshare.apk
* MediaSync /system/app/MediaSync.apk
* Music Visualization Wallpapers /system/app/VisualizationWallpapers.apk
* My Verizon /system/app/MyVerizon.apk, /data/app/com/vzw.hss.myverizon.apk
* News widget /system/app/NewsWidget.apk
* NFS Shift (2.1 only) (remove through application manager)
* Skype Mobile /system/app/Skype_mobile.live.apk
* Social Messaging /system/app/SocialMessaging.apk
* Social Networking /system/app/FriendFeed.apk
* Social Share /system/app/SocialShare.apk
* Social Status /system/app/StatusWidget.ap
* Sound Recorder /system/app/SoundRecorder.apk
* Sticky Notes /system/app/StickyNoteWidget.apk
* Swype Keyboard /system/app/Swype.apk
* Talk /system/app/Talk.apk
* Toggle Widgets /system/app/ToggleWidgets.apk
* Video Editor Lite /system/app/ArcVideoEditorLite.apk
* Verizon Visual Voicemail /system/app/Vvm.apk
* VPN Services /system/app/VpnServices.apk
* VZ Navigator /system/app/com.vznavigator.DROIDX.apk
* Weather /system/app/WeatherWidget.apk
* Work Contacts /system/app/WorkContacts.apk

omnicious
09-29-2010, 03:38 PM
Umm...wouldn't installing FlyX also be a way to get rid of bloat?

DebianDog
09-29-2010, 03:39 PM
Umm...wouldn't installing FlyX also be a way to get rid of bloat?

If you want to trust what Birdman did/does. Load ROM manager and a Bootstrapper sure. ;)

I would rather delete what I think is bloat.

omnicious
09-29-2010, 03:41 PM
If you want to trust what _birdman_ did/does. Load ROM manager and a bootstrapper sure. ;)Is there reason not to?

DebianDog
09-29-2010, 03:50 PM
Is there reason not to?

other than Birdman currently has his work on hold for the X until a real SBF comes out, no. The same way we are playing it safe here. Until a real SBF comes out, if your "really" screw up your phone there is no recovery other than using the "fake"/created SBF and hoping it works.

I am not even sure you can load Fly X on top of 2.2 OTA via the ROM manager yet. Anyone else know?

omnicious
09-29-2010, 03:57 PM
other than Birdman currently has his work on hold for the X until a real SBF comes out, no. The same way we are playing it safe here. Until a real SBF comes out, if your "really" screw up your phone there is no recovery other than using the "fake"/created SBF and hoping it works.

I am not even sure you can load Fly X on top of 2.2 OTA via the ROM manager yet. Anyone else know?I see. I do know the answer to that question and it is yes. FlyX does work through ROM Manager on 2.2 OTA.

DebianDog
09-29-2010, 04:10 PM
OK cool. Good to know.

REARless
09-29-2010, 04:22 PM
Last time I looked FlyX removed Swype because of Birdman's dislike of the Swype developers. Fine, but I really like using Swype.

Abe21599
09-29-2010, 04:28 PM
Last time I looked FlyX removed Swype because of Birdman's dislike of the Swype developers. Fine, but I really like using Swype.

you can do pretty much everything FlyX has to offer without installing flyX

DebianDog
09-29-2010, 04:32 PM

He put swype back as an option. No disrespect to his hard work but, I would rather remove apps myself and know EXACTLY what I did instead of relying on Birdman or anyone else to decide what is, or is not, bloat to me.

kdkinc
09-29-2010, 05:44 PM
How does either freezing,deleting,or renaming improve the phone performance overall ???
With the way Android controls ram won't Android remove (turn off) programs your not using if you need more ram??
Thank You for the 3 choices.
I prefer Titanium freezing. Every time their's a update people are running around trying to find APK's

Abe21599
09-29-2010, 05:48 PM
while android does a good job managing stuff running in the background, its still there. freezing (or removing, renaming) just eliminates that. and no stupid City ID anymore :)

tony1208
09-30-2010, 12:19 PM
whats social networking under i cant find it

chonface
09-30-2010, 12:53 PM
ok so i wanna be safe and put the three i deleted back on (amazon, kindle, city id)

how do i put them back?

DebianDog
09-30-2010, 01:23 PM
whats social networking under i cant find it

Looks like
http://tapa.tk/mu/aeccab36-c7a9-bbf1.jpg

Swyped on my X

CoppellStereo
09-30-2010, 05:17 PM
i have multiple social apps, social messaging, social messaging service, social networking, social sharing, social status. is it ok to freeze/rename all of those?

DebianDog
09-30-2010, 06:17 PM
If you didn't use any of those. Sure.

Swyped on my X

CoppellStereo
09-30-2010, 07:26 PM
i was just making sure it's ok because i hear bad things can happen if you mess with blur files

scubapelli
10-01-2010, 04:20 AM

I am not even sure you can load Fly X on top of 2.2 OTA via the ROM manager yet. Anyone else know?

Yep, it will work. It takes forever on the first boot (5 minutes or more) but it will eventually boot. If not, clear cache and try again. Backup the current rom prior.

TommyV
10-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Using Root Explorer, the only three I can't find on the list are 3G Mobile Hot Spot, Kindle, and NFS. (?)

minderasr
10-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Quick question. When I use TitaniumBackup to freeze Amazon MP3, it no longer appears in the app drawer. However, it still shows up in running applications. Anyone else seeing this? Am I doing something wrong?

DebianDog
10-01-2010, 08:21 PM
If you force stop it. It starts?

Swyped on my X

minderasr
10-01-2010, 09:29 PM
Eventually, yes.

ColdSteele
10-02-2010, 01:14 PM
i renamed the backupassistanceclient.apk to .bak several days ago... i havent noticed anything wrong, is this the one i should not have renamed? what may go wrong if one does?

greasemonkey
10-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Using Root Explorer, the only three I can't find on the list are 3G Mobile Hot Spot, Kindle, and NFS. (?)

OK the 3g mobile hot spot is called mynet.apk kindle is redding-7648-signed-zipped.apk not sure on NFS

hoops8
10-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Is there a list somewhere that shows the location of all the apk's listed in the 1st post? Thanks.

mikeyscislo
10-06-2010, 11:32 PM
when I renamed the files to .bak from .apk, they still appeared in the launcher. is that normal?

Ro6d33zy
10-07-2010, 12:55 AM
First of all, I've been a reader on the forum for a few months, and just recently created a profile. Great job!

Now my question about Freezing Bloat..... I've frozen most off the bloat apps, but am wondering why lol? Their not in my app drawer any more, but I haven't gained any memory on my phone, obviously since they weren't uninstalled.... So what should I expect, where should I see improvement? Now that their not self booting all the time, I could expect a battery boost, and probably a cpu boost. But is their anything else that this does that Is truly beneficial?
SENT VIA: DROID X - OTA 2.2 FROYO - ROOTED

DebianDog
10-07-2010, 06:56 AM
The "bloat" just won't run ever. You will have the other programs (the ones you actually use) sitting in memory.

Although the Android OS is designed to keep the memory pretty full. I do like tweaking it a bit with AutoKiller Memory Optimizer - Android app on AppBrain (http://www.appbrain.com/app/autokiller-memory-optimizer/com.rs.autokiller)

Greg
10-09-2010, 01:04 AM
Quick questin regarding the social network one. Is it safe to freeze all of the social networks? Like "social messaging", "social messaging services", "social sharing" & "social status"

DebianDog
10-09-2010, 08:49 AM
If you do not use any of those services. Sure!

Swyped on my X

Greg
10-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Thanks, I'm concerned about doing something I shouldn't and not being able to fix it.

the_Fiddler
10-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Which one of the social services (if any) controls pulling facebook avatars for contacts? I like having people's pictures in contacts, but thats the only aspect of those features I use.

Also, what about these apps, that are not mentioned on either of the lists:

Voicemail 1.2
Sticky Note 2.2
Motorola Services 2.2
Motorola Storage Monitor 2.2
MotoLocate 2.2
Messaging 2.2
MediaShare
MediaSync
Email Engine 2.2
DLNA
DlnaSystemService 1.0

the_Fiddler
10-11-2010, 02:43 PM
So something I did seems to have disabled the texting app. It seems to start, I see the contacts list start to load, then it just disappears, back to the homescreen. It seems like I can send a text by going to contacts, selecting the person, then the mail icon/button. I defrosted several social "messaging" programs and one other, but still nothing. Its annoying to not be able to see the conversation. Any idea what I might have done?

EDIT: Sorry, I'm new to this rooted stuff. I'm using Titanium Backup Pro. And I've done very little, other than install titanium and a few other root-only apps, backup with titanium and freeze a few apps. I tried restoring the texting app, but it only lets me select "Data Only" to restore. And that doesn't seem to do anything. My texting is still broken. Please help!

DebianDog
10-11-2010, 03:30 PM
I froze the texting app and I am still receiving texts. I use handcent. I would guess one of the blur applications.

Swyped on my X

the_Fiddler
10-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Okay, thanks. I may try Chomp or Handcent. I unfroze everything and it seems to work now. Wasn't getting sound in phone calls either. After unfreezing everything and rebooting, it all seems good now. I think that list needs updated, or perhaps another forum has a more comprehensive list of what you can freeze and what you can't/what you'll loose if you freeze/remove some stuff?

DebianDog
10-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Well I have everything on that list frozen. I can only go with what I know. If you knew exactly what you turned back on maybe I could track it down.

litspliff
10-12-2010, 05:09 AM
:confused: quick question...my terminal emulator lets me su, but my /system/apps directory is read only. how do i get write access witj terminal? do i have to use adb/adk to do this? i dont want to plug in every time i mv an adk file.

litspliff
10-12-2010, 06:03 AM
using adb shell from my ubuntu box....same problem.

"Read-only file system \n #"

why read only?
i am in debugging PC mode.

not sure whats going on.
this bloat is killing my buzz.

DebianDog
10-12-2010, 06:34 AM
Yes you must remount the file system R/W with the 2nd two methods. The title of this thread was written that way for a reason: It is true! ;)

the remount command is

adb shell
mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system

the_Fiddler
10-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Well I have everything on that list frozen. I can only go with what I know. If you knew exactly what you turned back on maybe I could track it down.

All the ones I listed: ?

Voicemail 1.2
Sticky Note 2.2
Motorola Services 2.2
Motorola Storage Monitor 2.2
MotoLocate 2.2
Messaging 2.2
MediaShare
MediaSync
Email Engine 2.2
DLNA
DlnaSystemService 1.0

w00tn3ss
10-13-2010, 08:14 AM
Hey.. i downloaded flyx and I want to get 3G MObile hotspot back... How can i do this? I restored my phone.. that didnt work. HELP!

Abe21599
10-13-2010, 04:32 PM
take mynet.apk and put it back in system/app/ (or is it data/app? not positive) and give it rw-;r--;r-- permissions

psychotic_penguin
10-13-2010, 10:49 PM
Or worst case scenario purchase the team Black Hat app and download it from there

litspliff
10-14-2010, 09:42 PM
im not looking for easy...im trying to learn something.

am i correct in assuming the read only remount command would be:
mount -o r,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
?

does it default back to read only after reboot (fstab style)?

Abe21599
10-14-2010, 10:08 PM
you need mount -o ro

and yes a reboot remounts it as read only

litspliff
10-15-2010, 11:28 AM
awesome..that sound you hear is the dying scream of some spyware called vz navigator...for some reason it needs access to edit your text messages (check out its permissions...what a pile).

one more bloat related question....

unremovable browser bookmarks--how do i get rid of them?

backwoods99
10-18-2010, 01:50 PM
I used the second method and it worked great for removing several programs, but now my scrolling is glitching. There is a hesitation.
I renamed the file extensions for

/system/app/
blockbuster
cardock
cityid
com.vznavigator.droidx
myverizon
newswidget
skype_mobile.live

/data/app/
com.amazon.kindle-1

I've rebooted twice now, and this problem wasn't there before I rooted it.

Suggestions?

DebianDog
10-18-2010, 01:54 PM
None of those apps have to do with scrolling. My current build does not even have those apps available to run ;) It has got to be something else.

Have you pulled the battery?

backwoods99
10-18-2010, 01:57 PM
yep, removed the battery. I cannot figure out what could have changed it. I am wondering if I should go back and unroot to try it again.

DebianDog
10-18-2010, 02:01 PM
rooting just changes permissions and adds 2 files (su and busybox) again nothing to do with scrolling.

Backup you apps and factory reset if nothing else is working is what I would do.

sxty8chrgr
10-19-2010, 02:19 AM
I deleted the bloat through titanium backup, is this also another way or did i mess up something.... the apps are gone, but its my first time playing with this stuff...

DebianDog
10-19-2010, 06:43 AM
I deleted the bloat through titanium backup, is this also another way or did i mess up something.... the apps are gone, but its my first time playing with this stuff...

If you use Ti Backup they are frozen not "deleted". You can unfreeze them at any time. You would do this say before an upgrade to 2.2.1 or 2.3, whatever they are gonna call it.

Bobby
10-19-2010, 05:49 PM
DROID X's FroYo 2.2 OTA SBF has been released.
OP you think you can update that list? :D

intercept440
10-20-2010, 10:11 PM
ok im rooted and using root explorer i just renamed the bloat apps.

when im done doing that do i leave the R/O mode on or do i switch it back to r/w?

thnaks

XxXxX
10-20-2010, 10:39 PM
Anyone know the name to the media share .apk file so I can remove. Thanks

Sent from my DROIDX

DebianDog
10-21-2010, 07:08 AM
Anyone know the name to the media share .apk file so I can remove. Thanks
Sent from my DROIDX

Dang, sorry, usually you can look up a package in the market via Titanium backup with a long press but this ROM has that package already removed. But I learned something.

ok im rooted and using root explorer i just renamed the bloat apps.

when im done doing that do i leave the R/O mode on or do i switch it back to r/w?

thnaks

You should change it back for safety but it wont "hurt" anything if you forget. It will reset next reboot.

litspliff
10-21-2010, 07:53 AM
few questions...

i am trying to find descriptions for individual apk files but google just gives me crap results. is there a list out there already?

what is the difference between apk and odex files?

should i rename both the odex and apk, or just the apk?

(OFF TOPIC) is there a mobile version of this forum? (sucks with android browser)

thanks in advance.

litspliff
10-21-2010, 09:03 AM
this is the "safe to remove" list i've been able to compile (with file names) from my research over the last couple of hours. please correct me where i am wrong and fill in the blanks. a lot of people post which apps are safe to remove, but i had a hard time finding a definitive list with file names. hopefully someone finds this helpful, and can help me make it more accurate.

* 3G Mobile Hotspot /system/app/Mynet.apk
* AdService /system/app/AdService.apk
* Amazon Mp3 /system/app/amazonmp3_1.8.11_signed_zipaligned.apk
* Android Live Wallpapers, Live Wallpaper Picker, Magic Smoke Wallpapers /system/app/LiveWallpapers.apk, /system/app/LiveWallpapersPicker.apk, /system/app/MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk
* Bluetooth services /system/app/Bluetooth.apk, /system/app/BluetoothDun.apk
* Blockbuster /system/app/Blockbuster.apk
* Calculator /system/app/Calculator.apk
* CarDock /system/app/CarDock.apk
* CityID /system/app/CityID.apk
* Clock widget /system/app/ClockWidget.apk
* com.motorola.photowidget /system/app/PhotoWidget.apk
* Desk Home /system/app/Dock.apk
* Emergency Alert /system/app/cmas.apk
* FM Radio /system/app/FMRadioService.apk
* Help Center /system/app/HelpCenter.apk
* Home ?
* Home screen tips ?
* MediaShare ?
* MediaSync /system/app/MediaSync.apk
* Music Visualization Wallpapers /system/app/VisualizationWallpapers.apk
* My Verizon /system/app/MyVerizon.apk
* News widget /system/app/NewsWidget.apk
* NFS Shift (remove through application manager)
* Print to Retail ?
* Setup Wizard /system/app/Setup.apk(?)
* Skype Mobile /system/app/Skype_mobile.live.apk
* Social Messaging /system/app/SocialMessaging.apk
* Social Networking ?
* Social Share /system/app/SocialShare.apk
* Social Status /system/app/StatusWidget.ap
* Sound Recorder /system/app/SoundRecorder.apk
* Sticky Notes /system/app/StickyNoteWidget.apk
* Swype Keyboard /system/app/Swype.apk
* Talk /system/app/Talk.apk
* Toggle Widgets /system/app/ToggleWidgets.apk
* Video Editor Lite ?
* Verizon Visual Voicemail /system/app/Vvm.apk
* VPN Services /system/app/VpnServices.apk
* VZ Navigator /system/app/com.vznavigator.DROIDX.apk
* Weather /system/app/WeatherWidget.apk
* Work Contacts /system/app/WorkContacts.apk

disclaimer:
removing some of these may limit the functionality of your phone...you have been warned. everything on the list i have been able to confirm by at least two sources, but i have not tried to mv them all myself. i take no responsibility for your results.

i am also working on a full breakdown of the filesystem with file/directory descriptions. if you are interested in helping with such a thing, PM me.

edit:
if you can't see the filenames, scroll the code window to the right...sorry i spaced it to far....

XxXxX
10-21-2010, 11:11 PM
Dang, sorry, usually you can look up a package in the market via Titanium backup with a long press but this ROM has that package already removed. But I learned something.

You should change it back for safety but it wont "hurt" anything if you forget. It will reset next reboot.

It's cool i found it, the media share.apk file is called homeshare.apk Thanks guys hope this help u too.

Asharad
10-21-2010, 11:15 PM
Thank you. I finally built up the nerve to try this. CityID and a few others are gone! Yea!

Bobby
10-22-2010, 10:00 PM
I removed music.apk and doubleTwist and Winamp seem to play music without a problem, Im gonna remove conversations.apk and see if I get text messages.

litspliff
10-23-2010, 12:09 PM
I removed music.apk and doubleTwist and Winamp seem to play music without a problem, Im gonna remove conversations.apk and see if I get text messages.

when using terminal, i suggest not using rm...use mv to rename (.old, .bak, .etc).

this way you can just rename the files if you need to recover your bloat for OTA upgrading or warranty service.

does anyone know if its safe to rename FOTA.apk? i dont want verizon to have the ability to flash my phone.

litspliff
10-23-2010, 12:44 PM
It's cool i found it, the media share.apk file is called homeshare.apk Thanks guys hope this help u too.

i don't have homeshare.apk in my /system/app folder....is it somewhere else?
i have a MediaProvider.apk, and HomeSyncWizard.apk.

alemane213
10-23-2010, 09:44 PM
I finally rooted my X & have downloaded titanium back up root free, now do I back up my stuff before I do anything. Before I freeze applications?

litspliff
10-24-2010, 10:34 AM
I finally rooted my X & have downloaded titanium back up root free, now do I back up my stuff before I do anything. Before I freeze applications?
always backup before making changes to your system....always. period.

for those of you that would like a good reason to go through the trouble of rooting and removing bloat, here's an unremovable piece of spyware called vznavigator. think my words are too harsh? you have to be root to keep it from running (can't uninstall, and if you force stop it, it will restart itself 5 minutes later when you're no longer paying attention).

as for the spyware claim... read permissions...screenshot provided.

full size image here (http://www.dynatron.org/howto/DroidX/images/vznavigator.jpg)

2 minutes after taking this screenshot, i issued these commands to disable the software....

su
mv /system/app/com.vznavigator.DROIDX.apk /system/app/com.vznavigator.DROIDX.apk.old
mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
exit
exit
i like leaving the app menu open when i issue the mv command across the wire...you can actually see the icon disappear from the list as soon as you hit enter!

1sheldon1
10-24-2010, 11:14 AM
does anyone know if its safe to rename FOTA.apk? i dont want verizon to have the ability to flash my phone.

I have mine frozen and so far I haven't seen any negative effects. I'll post if that changes.

alemane213
10-24-2010, 01:53 PM
always backup before making changes to your system....always. period.

for those of you that would like a good reason to go through the trouble of rooting and removing bloat, here's an unremovable piece of spyware called vznavigator. think my words are too harsh? you have to be root to keep it from running (can't uninstall, and if you force stop it, it will restart itself 5 minutes later when you're no longer paying attention).

as for the spyware claim... read permissions...screenshot provided.

full size image here (http://www.dynatron.org/howto/DroidX/images/vznavigator.jpg)

2 minutes after taking this screenshot, i issued these commands to disable the software....

su
mv /system/app/com.vznavigator.DROIDX.apk /system/app/com.vznavigator.DROIDX.apk.old
exit
exit
i like leaving the app menu open when i issue the mv command across the wire...you can actually see the icon disappear from the list as soon as you hit enter!
what do I use to back up my phone?

DebianDog
10-25-2010, 10:29 AM
what do I use to back up my phone?

MyBackupPro or Titanium

alemane213
10-25-2010, 09:15 PM
MyBackupPro or Titanium

Got it... thanks

litspliff
10-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Fota.apk disable confirmed. had it renamed for a day now...no negative effects as of this post. thanks
for the report.

has anyone found a way to delete sticky bookmarks?

Bobby
10-26-2010, 06:42 PM
Im gonna have to install all the stocks app back. I just found out like a LOT of people where calling me lately and I never got the calls. Also, my phone reboots at random times...

Perm
10-29-2010, 10:32 AM
this is the "safe to remove" list i've been able to compile (with file names) from my research over the last couple of hours. please correct me where i am wrong and fill in the blanks. a lot of people post which apps are safe to remove, but i had a hard time finding a definitive list with file names. hopefully someone finds this helpful, and can help me make it more accurate.

I found your list infinitely helpful... I think they should edit the top post of this sticky with this list you created. Having the app names isn't helpful if you do not have the corresponding .apk to accompany it.

wateroksnmud
10-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Ok, new to the forums, the droid, and "hacking". I'm going "old school" as to learn. When in terminal (mac obviously) I'm typing su and it's asking for a password. It's not my admin password. I did a google search and it came across a post that said to type sudo su. My admin password worked for that but it did not open the $, instead it brings me to "sh-3.2#"

Are there anymore guides that might walk a beginner?

litspliff
11-01-2010, 12:15 PM
It soundz like you are becomming root on your mac, not your phone. first, enable usb debugging on your phone (settings,applications,development,check usb debugging). then plug in and set your usb connection to "pc mode". make sure you have adk installed on your mac and run "./adb shell" from the tools directory in your android development kit. once you have adb shell running, then you have a terminal on your phone.

holmes
11-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Code to remove and restore selected bloat "old school"

CMD Prompt:

adb shell
Once in adb shell:

su
cd /system/app/
mv CityID.apk CityID.apk.bak
mv MyVerizon.apk MyVerizon.apk.bak
mv CarDock.apk CarDock.apk.bak
mv Blockbuster.apk Blockbuster.apk.bak
mv HelpCenter.apk HelpCenter.apk.bak
mv com.vznavigator.DROID2.apk com.vznavigator.DROID2.apk.bak
mv amazonmp3_1.8.11_signed_zipaligned.apk amazonmp3_1.8.11_signed_zipaligned.apk.bak
exit
exit
And to restore the bloat:
CMD Prompt:

adb shell
Once in adb shell:

su
cd /system/app/
mv CityID.apk.bak CityID.apk
mv MyVerizon.apk.bak MyVerizon.apk
mv CarDock.apk.bak CarDock.apk
mv Blockbuster.apk.bak Blockbuster.apk
mv HelpCenter.apk.bak HelpCenter.apk
mv com.vznavigator.DROID2.apk.bak com.vznavigator.DROID2.apk
mv amazonmp3_1.8.11_signed_zipaligned.apk.bak amazonmp3_1.8.11_signed_zipaligned.apk
exit
exit

tech_head
11-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Good ole shell scripting.

BTW - As someone who disabled Social Networking - DON'T DO IT!!
I just froze it in Titanium Backup and had to do a factory reset. Social Networking is needed to support OTA Updating!

You have been warned - again.

ryant35
11-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Ok so I rooted last night with VISIONary and when I try to rename an app like Amazon MP3 with Root Explorer it tells me that the files are readonly and I cannot rename, delete, or move the files. What am I doing wrong, I read this whole thread and this hasn't been mentioned before.

CT9A
11-08-2010, 04:35 PM
What if you want to unroot?
Do you need to change all the names back before unrooting?

litspliff
11-09-2010, 12:12 AM
Ok so I rooted last night with VISIONary and when I try to rename an app like Amazon MP3 with Root Explorer it tells me that the files are readonly and I cannot rename, delete, or move the files. What am I doing wrong, I read this whole thread and this hasn't been mentioned before.

read again...specifically posts 38, 39, 40, 45, 46, 66

you need to mount your file system for read/write.

What if you want to unroot?
Do you need to change all the names back before unrooting? no, but you may need to change them back for OTA system updating (from motorolla/verizon).
android market will work fine either way.

DebianDog
11-09-2010, 06:41 AM
I found your list infinitely helpful... I think they should edit the top post of this sticky with this list you created. Having the app names isn't helpful if you do not have the corresponding .apk to accompany it.

OK no problem.

ryant35
11-09-2010, 10:39 AM
read again...specifically posts 38, 39, 40, 45, 46, 66

you need to mount your file system for read/write.

no, but you may need to change them back for OTA system updating (from motorolla/verizon).
android market will work fine either way.

Ok I got it, simple enough in Root Explorer, I just want's sure how to set it. Thanks.

Offspring
11-10-2010, 01:14 AM
OK, so I'm new to the rooting of the Droid X. I've rooted it, I installed the free version of Titanium Backup, just so I could check it out. My question is this: for programs such as Blockbuster, if I make a backup of it and then delete it, will that completely hose me? Would it be better to also get Root Explorer and make a copy of the default programs (VZNav, Amazon, NFS, Blockbuster) and then uninstall them, then when a new update comes out copy them over and do it all over again?

I know it sounds like a lot of work, but since I don't see many updates coming very often, it seems like the best method.

ryant35
11-10-2010, 03:14 AM
OK, so I'm new to the rooting of the Droid X. I've rooted it, I installed the free version of Titanium Backup, just so I could check it out. My question is this: for programs such as Blockbuster, if I make a backup of it and then delete it, will that completely hose me? Would it be better to also get Root Explorer and make a copy of the default programs (VZNav, Amazon, NFS, Blockbuster) and then uninstall them, then when a new update comes out copy them over and do it all over again?

I know it sounds like a lot of work, but since I don't see many updates coming very often, it seems like the best method.

No don't delete the file, you will need it to unroot or update. Just rename the .apk file to bak. Then you can go back and rename all the files to download the next update.

Jason-
11-15-2010, 03:26 PM
Is removing the bloat also suppose to remove in the icons in the apps folder?

ryant35
11-15-2010, 03:34 PM
Is removing the bloat also suppose to remove in the icons in the apps folder?

Do you mean the app drawer?

If so, that's what I read in this thread, and that's what happened to my app drawer.

Jason-
11-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Do you mean the app drawer?

If so, that's what I read in this thread, and that's what happened to my app drawer.

Yes. All my icons are still there after hitting "freeze."

joeyjackpot
11-15-2010, 03:53 PM
Unless you know what the function of an app is and you know you don't use any part of it (and neither does your phone's OS), don't freeze it. I wouldn't touch most of the Social ones because I'm not entirely sure of their functions, so I can't be sure my phone isn't using them.

The location of all the system apk files is system/app in Root Explorer

Files that you have renamed from .apk to .bak will still appear in your app drawer until you reboot your device. Always reboot after renaming/reinstalling system applications.

Renaming from .apk to .bak isn't uninstalling the program from your entire phone, it's just renaming the actual program file to prevent it from running... so when you change it back to .apk, the program is still installed.

It's the equivalent of renaming an .exe on Windows instead of using a formal uninstall. The program and its shortcuts are still integrated into your OS's shell, but the actual program cannot be executed when it can't find the target program file. On our phones, it hides the program from showing up in the drawer. On windows, it would just tell us the shortcut is broken.

The reason we do this with bloat is because the programs will need to appear as wholly installed when upgrading our OS, so then we simply rename the file to .apk, and voila, our phone sees the program as installed. Rename the executable file to .bak after upgrade, and voila, our phone thinks the program isn't installed. All without actually deleting the files.

ryant35
11-15-2010, 03:57 PM
Yes. All my icons are still there after hitting "freeze."

By freezeing all you are doing is stopping the apps from running in the background. If you want them gone you need to rename the apk file to bak for each app with root explorer. Don't delete the files, as you will need rename them before you update the android OS.

tech_head
11-16-2010, 01:52 PM
After you freeze you will need to power cycle the phone to have them disappear.
Leave the social apps alone.
I know from experience, you don't want to touch them.
You will not be able to do OTA updates at all and sometimes even after the "thaw" they don't work properly.
I had to do a factory reset after freezing everything "social".

You were warned.....

raf66
11-20-2010, 10:30 AM
Please help. I deleted Blockbuster app before realizing that I needed to rename or freeze it so I can enjoy updates. Is there a way to reclaim it?

ryant35
11-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Please help. I deleted Blockbuster app before realizing that I needed to rename or freeze it so I can enjoy updates. Is there a way to reclaim it?

This looks like the file you need
BLOCKBUSTER.apk (http://www.mediafire.com/?sqsj7m22d7yqq56)

raf66
11-20-2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks a lot ryant35. Is there a list of bloatware that came with the phone that I can check to make sure I didn't accidentally delete another app? Thanks again for your help.

Abe21599
11-20-2010, 07:17 PM
i mean its all here.
http://www.chadhaney.com/droidXDefault/

but im not sure about what apps come on it to begin with..

idontliketolose
11-21-2010, 05:03 PM
I did the same thing and deleted a bunch of apps. After i realized I should have done a backup I went through the list of stock droid x apps and wrote down a list of what I deleted so that I know what to reinstall. so my question is that when an update is available can i just go back to my list and reinstall the apps to get the update or should I just reinstall them now and rename them like shown at the top of the page just to be safe??? thanks in advance for any help on this :)

DebianDog
11-22-2010, 12:26 PM
I did the same thing and deleted a bunch of apps. After i realized I should have done a backup I went through the list of stock droid x apps and wrote down a list of what I deleted so that I know what to reinstall. so my question is that when an update is available can i just go back to my list and reinstall the apps to get the update or should I just reinstall them now and rename them like shown at the top of the page just to be safe??? thanks in advance for any help on this :)

Do it now or do it later ;) Worse case you SBF back to stock then upgrade then restore your apps back. That's what I did with the 2.2 upgrade. I was not sure what state my phone was in so... as my friend says, "I punted".

raf66
11-23-2010, 09:20 AM
Forgive my ignorance but what does "SBF back to stock" mean?

DebianDog
11-23-2010, 01:48 PM
Forgive my ignorance but what does "SBF back to stock" mean?

There is an SFB file where you can use RSDlite to flash you phone back to new "out of the box".

idontliketolose
11-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Cool thanks!

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

joeyjackpot
11-23-2010, 03:21 PM
Quick questin regarding the social network one. Is it safe to freeze all of the social networks? Like "social messaging", "social messaging services", "social sharing" & "social status"

nope.

krze
11-24-2010, 02:41 PM
Question: Does anyone know what programs are used to update your contacts profile pictures? My phone is sync'd to my Facebook and it automatically added everyone and added their pictures from their Facebook profiles. But now my phone doesn't update the pictures any more in my contacts, it has older profile pictures. I'm wondering if I froze something that stopped it from updating my contacts pictures from Facebook?

Thanks!

Droid-Xer
11-24-2010, 07:02 PM
Question: Does anyone know what programs are used to update your contacts profile pictures? My phone is sync'd to my Facebook and it automatically added everyone and added their pictures from their Facebook profiles. But now my phone doesn't update the pictures any more in my contacts, it has older profile pictures. I'm wondering if I froze something that stopped it from updating my contacts pictures from Facebook?

Thanks!

I believe all the social apps are bundled together in TiBackup. Perhaps in the Facebook settings itself you might need to update them or in the my accounts they might need to be synced.

minderasr
11-27-2010, 10:52 AM
The LitSpliff List

this is the "safe to remove" list

Some additions/corrections I've found. You had FMRadio.apk listed twice. You need to rename/freeze both kindle related apk's to remove it entirely. The same goes for my verizon. QuickOffice? I don't use it. Added the Social Networking apk.

* FM Radio /system/app/FMRadio.apk
* Kindle /system/app/redding-7648-signed-zipped.apk, /data/app/com.amazon.kindle-1.apk
* My Verizon /system/app/MyVerizon.apk, /data/app/com.vzw.hss.myverizon-2.apk
* Quick Office /system/app/QuickOffice.apk
* Social Networking /system/app/FriendFeed.apk

HTH

minderasr
11-27-2010, 10:55 AM

Just a head's up. I have a custom ringtone (mp3), which would not ring if I had music.apk renamed/frozen.

minderasr
11-27-2010, 10:59 AM

Homeshare.apk (or anything with "homeshare") doesn't exist on my Droid X.

budmonster
11-28-2010, 01:40 AM
when you freeze an apk it doesn't actually delete the file so you never saving space, right? all your doing is "hiding" the app. i want to permanently remove the app. im on a rom and i have a backup.

edit: im on a rubix blurry 1.5.2 rom. when i open TB, it shows 2 backupassistant.apk. v1.0 and v2.2.1, which do I remove?

budmonster
11-28-2010, 11:53 PM
can anyone answer the above posts?

also, there are so many bloatware threads on different forums thats it getting confusing. does anyone know of a thread somewhere, that has all the apps that you can/cant remove on one page? and it just keeps getting updated? going through 50 pages to find out what i can remove is a hassle.

thx-BUD

DebianDog
11-29-2010, 05:05 AM
when you freeze an apk it doesn't actually delete the file so you never saving space, right? all your doing is "hiding" the app. i want to permanently remove the app. im on a rom and i have a backup.

edit: im on a rubix blurry 1.5.2 rom. when i open TB, it shows 2 backupassistant.apk. v1.0 and v2.2.1, which do I remove?

You do not remove ANY app. There is no reason to you have a 16 GB phone for petes sake plus another 16 GB external. Just leave them be.

budmonster
11-30-2010, 07:31 PM
You do not remove ANY app. There is no reason to you have a 16 GB phone for petes sake plus another 16 GB external. Just leave them be.

I know that. I just really think it would be usefull if someone with knowledge of what can be "froze" and what cant could post 1 giant updated list? Its hard going through all these pages trying to find what apk goes with what and application and if you can freeze it or not.

vulcaninvt
11-30-2010, 08:17 PM
Looking to be pointed in the right direction. I am new to the Motorola world and rooting etc. I do no want to do anything crazy with my phone, I would like to use the Titanium backup to go through the process of freezing the apps that I do not want running and maybe down the road removing the apps. First I need to root my phone, if I could be steered in the direction to do that, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

wicked
11-30-2010, 08:21 PM
Looking to be pointed in the right direction. I am new to the Motorola world and rooting etc. I do no want to do anything crazy with my phone, I would like to use the Titanium backup to go through the process of freezing the apps that I do not want running and maybe down the road removing the apps. First I need to root my phone, if I could be steered in the direction to do that, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

Everything you need to root can be found here http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/12081-rooolers-guide-root-unroot-backup-rom-sbf-overclock.html
I suggest using z4root (http://www.appbrain.com/app/z4root/com.z4mod.z4root2) method. good luck :)

msu
12-01-2010, 02:03 PM
OK, I have a question. I have frozen some of these apps with TBU. Shouldn't they not be showing up when I go into the app drawer???

Droid-Xer
12-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Do a reboot and it should remove them. Also be sure chuck norris mode is enabled in the menu settings of TiBackup

msu
12-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Do a reboot and it should remove them. Also be sure chuck norris mode is enabled in the menu settings of TiBackup

Bingo, I didn't have Chuck Norris Mode selected!! Thanks, I'm still learning all the ins and outs of TTB.

Droid-Xer
12-01-2010, 02:22 PM
No problem. Chuck Norris fixes everything!

msu
12-01-2010, 02:39 PM
No problem. Chuck Norris fixes everything!

Although it seems that the only one that keeps showing up after two reboots and checking to make sure it is frozen is Amazon mp3??

Droid-Xer
12-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Yes that app and sometimes kindle reappear. Not sure why. It did that to me even after I completely removed them, until they eventually disappeared. They aren't running though. With some launchers you can hide them from the app drawer.

joeyjackpot
12-01-2010, 04:13 PM
if you rename the apks in root explorer they all go away :)

msu
12-01-2010, 04:26 PM
if you rename the apks in root explorer they all go away :)

It is not that big of a deal, was just making me go Hmmmm. But, I will keep this in mind.

joeyjackpot
12-01-2010, 04:52 PM
I only say that because apparently there are some apps that don't "thaw" properly. Never had a problem with the rename trick.

I have a severe distrust for Titanium Backup.

msu
12-02-2010, 02:30 PM
I only say that because apparently there are some apps that don't "thaw" properly. Never had a problem with the rename trick.

I have a severe distrust for Titanium Backup.

Ok, I will bite. What is the distrust with TBU?

I just did a factory reset, so I will probably rename them this time around.

joeyjackpot
12-02-2010, 02:37 PM
When i first got TBU, I used it to backup all my bloatware and then delete it. It still showed them in my list of apps just crossed off meaning, i felt, that it recognized they used to be installed but are now only backed up.

What it actually meant was, the program just backs up DATA for the programs, and then deletes the APK entirely with no backup - even when rooted. Nowhere in the UI is this made clear. The UI looks like some crap from the movie Hackers. Like, what people in 1990 thought computers would look like in 2000. You have to BUY it to freeze apps which apparently doesn't always work and then thawing doesn't always work. Why buy that program which is (i feel) very unclear about how it functions when I can just rename the apks myself w/ root explorer?

DebianDog
12-02-2010, 03:22 PM
When i first got TBU, I used it to backup all my bloatware and then delete it. It still showed them in my list of apps just crossed off meaning,

It has changed A LOT even in the last month or so. Freeze is a lot better since they added "Chuck Norris" mode. It backs up and restores system/user apps or apps+data.

When you freeze an app it will remain in the app list till you reboot. That is a caching issue not related to a limitation if TBU.

joeyjackpot
12-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Chuck norris mode was available and enabled when i did it back then... just dont trust it since it doesn't explain itself and doesn't work how i imagine it working from the way it describes itself!

When I rename an app, it goes away from app drawer after reboot - every time - people report amazon and kindle magically reappear with Titanium.

You're allowed to like it and champion it all you want - I don't like it because it didn't do what I thought it was doing based on the way things were labeled and with a lack of documentation.

It may back up APKs for system files when you pay, but i had free version, and nowhere did it tell me it wasn't backing up APKs... don't need to discuss much further why i didn't like it and why i still don't like it, i think i've been clear, not really looking for a reason to come back around to it either.

gravybird
12-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Chuck Norris is so tough, he doesn't do push ups! He lays on his stomach, and pushes the world down!

BoostinBen
12-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Okay so someone please certify this for me, to make absolutely certain I do this properly. This is my first day on any sort of Android device, as I just came from the iPhone 4. I have rooted my X, which came with 2.2 pre-installed, and have downloaded (donated, too) Titanium Backup. Freezing applications and rebooting will remove them from the apps drawer but will allow me to easily "unfreeze" them down the road when I want to perform an update, correct? I do not want to do something that will not allow me to update to a new system version down the road very easily. Thank you.

wicked
12-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Freezing applications and rebooting will remove them from the apps drawer but will allow me to easily "unfreeze" them down the road when I want to perform an update, correct? I do not want to do something that will not allow me to update to a new system version down the road very easily. Thank you.

Yes that is correct. I do the same thing. I'd rather be able to "DEFROST" an app than deleting and having to reinstall/flash them.
That way any future OTA updates won't be such a headache...

BoostinBen
12-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Yes that is correct. I do the same thing. I'd rather be able to "DEFROST" an app than deleting and having to reinstall/flash them.
That way any future OTA updates won't be such a headache...

Thank you very much for the prompt response, wicked :)

Droid-Xer
12-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Okay so someone please certify this for me, to make absolutely certain I do this properly. This is my first day on any sort of Android device, as I just came from the iPhone 4. I have rooted my X, which came with 2.2 pre-installed, and have downloaded (donated, too) Titanium Backup. Freezing applications and rebooting will remove them from the apps drawer but will allow me to easily "unfreeze" them down the road when I want to perform an update, correct? I do not want to do something that will not allow me to update to a new system version down the road very easily. Thank you.

Correct. In the settings menu of titanium backup, check mark chuck norris mode to ensure most frozen apps won't reappear. And yes you can always defrost needed apps later.

NEODARK
12-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Awesome thread, thanks for the info :D

the_Fiddler
12-20-2010, 01:52 AM
eMail and Gmail (if you use another mail program like K9)
What if I use Gmail, can I get rid of the Email app and still be okay? Does that get rid of the texting app?

DebianDog
12-20-2010, 02:11 AM
Messaging is the text app

Yes you can freeze e mail

Beamed from my DroidX

Blueduck3285
12-21-2010, 05:54 AM
as it stated in the OP, for the "free/old school" option, I get to the $ and type su but says "permission denied".

Any thoughts?

PS running DroidX stock, just want to get rid of the stupid blockbuster app and a couple other preloaded bloatware.

DebianDog
12-21-2010, 09:10 AM
as it stated in the OP, for the "free/old school" option, I get to the $ and type su but says "permission denied".

Any thoughts?

PS running DroidX stock, just want to get rid of the stupid blockbuster app and a couple other preloaded bloatware.

are you rooted? Do you have su enabled for the terminal app?

Droid-Xer
12-21-2010, 09:48 AM

Any thoughts?

Yes, you need to he rooted. Use the z4 root in my signature courtesy of wicked.

curtdragon
12-21-2010, 01:19 PM
Great thread. Good to have a nice list of apps to remove.
You might want to add a few items to the list:
Magic Smoke Wallpapers
Kindle
MAdden NFL 11

I get the same thing with the Amazon MP3, there must be a second APK associated with it.

Droid-Xer
12-21-2010, 01:21 PM
Great thread. Good to have a nice list of apps to remove.
You might want to add a few items to the list:
Magic Smoke Wallpapers
Kindle
MAdden NFL 11

I get the same thing with the Amazon MP3, there must be a second APK associated with it.

Ya I think the list was just for 2.2 the madden came on 2.2.1, so insure it'll he updated. The amazon is a pain in the associated to remove. If you use TiBackup ensure chuck norris mode is on.

curtdragon
12-21-2010, 01:28 PM
Yeah Chuck Norris is on. All the other apps froze no problem just Amazon is hanging out. I think I had this issue with my Droid as well
Once again great thread, phone seems to run faster but it

Droid-Xer
12-21-2010, 01:35 PM
Yeah Chuck Norris is on. All the other apps froze no problem just Amazon is hanging out. I think I had this issue with my Droid as well
Once again great thread, phone seems to run faster but it

What!?! Nothing gets by Chuck Norris!! JK ya on 2.2 amazon and kindle gave me problems, then they miraculous quit popping up.

ryant35
12-21-2010, 01:45 PM
I can't get ride of Amazon mp3 either, it is still on the apps drawer, but it does crash when I try to open it.

I went back to TI and check Chuck Norris mode and defrosted it and froze it again and it's still in the apps drawer.

Droid-Xer
12-21-2010, 01:47 PM
I can't get ride of Amazon mp3 either, it is still on the apps drawer, but it does crash when I try to open it.

I went back to TI and check Chuck Norris mode and defrosted it and froze it again and it's still in the apps drawer.

A few apps are persistent and don't disappear when frozen. You can always rename them in root explorer or terminal emulator if it bothers you.

ryant35
12-21-2010, 01:54 PM
A few apps are persistent and don't disappear when frozen. You can always rename them in root explorer or terminal emulator if it bothers you.

That's what I did the first time I rooted before the last OTA update, before I got TI. I forgot I could do that.

hlaalu
12-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Is there a reason why Backup Assistant and Sync Service are not on the list? Unless you use the verizon backup, there is no reason to have these running IMO. Sync Service is only for the verizon backup, I made a test contact while all of these were frozen and it still showed up instantly in my gmail account on my computer. Just wondering if anyone else ditched these too?

DebianDog
12-21-2010, 02:15 PM
If I remember correctly you phone did not run right if they were not there. This may have changed.

Droid-Xer
12-21-2010, 02:24 PM
If I remember correctly you phone did not run right if they were not there. This may have changed.

Ya, something like that. They were needed for other blur apps to run correctly.

hlaalu
12-21-2010, 02:24 PM
Hmmm I'll post up if my phone freaks out.

joeyjackpot
12-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Backup assistant is needed, though I can't remember why. It does more than just sync with BA, it caused major problems when removed though on 2.1

Droid-Xer
12-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Backup assistant is needed, though I can't remember why. It does more than just sync with BA, it caused major problems when removed though on 2.1

We'll find out soon enough if it freaks out on 2.2.1!!

hlaalu
12-21-2010, 02:28 PM

If you remember why let me know so I can see what to look for because I'm not having any problems so far. I'm also using launcher pro, maybe that has something to do with it.

joeyjackpot
12-21-2010, 02:31 PM
Looked it up: removing backup assistant bricks your phone in the event of a factory reset. The phone tries to run it as a part of the activation process and you will have to SBF to re-activate (or even really boot your phone) after a factory reset.

Just remember - "my phone doesn't seem to be going haywire the minute I freeze this app" doesn't mean "this is okay to remove"

Abe21599
12-21-2010, 02:32 PM
If you remember why let me know so I can see what to look for because I'm not having any problems so far. I'm also using launcher pro, maybe that has something to do with it.

well heres where it started. u can read thru and find out why..
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/1347-removing-bloat.html

hlaalu
12-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Removing backup assistant bricks your phone in the event of a factory reset. the phone tries to run it as a part of the activation process and you will have to SBF to re-activate (or even really boot your phone) after a factory reset.

Well in that case I'm going to unfreeze because I'll probably forget all about it if I do a reset down the road. Thanks!

hlaalu
12-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Actually one last question, if they are "frozen" then would they still show up for a factory reset?

joeyjackpot
12-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Factory Reset doesn't touch system files or your operating system, nor your SD card. It only erases user data on the phone's internal storage... so it will not even look at your frozen system apps.

Blueduck3285
12-21-2010, 09:33 PM
are you rooted? Do you have su enabled for the terminal app?

Yes, you need to he rooted. Use the z4 root in my signature courtesy of wicked.

I used Z4 Root (worked great on 2.3). Grabbed the terminal app, after typing in most those apps, I saw the root explorer (Super Manager - Android Apps and Tests - AndroidPIT (http://www.androidpit.com/en/android/market/apps/app/gpc.myweb.hinet.net.TaskManager/Super-Manager)) and slapped myself. Used it to rename the rest of the apps. Thank you both and I am loving this freaking phone!

the_Fiddler
12-21-2010, 10:41 PM
I've found other places that says its okay to remove BlurUpdater. Can anyone tell me what BlurUpdater is called in Titanium? I can't find a way to view the .apk filenames in Titanium, and it displays a little bit different names in the list.

I'm seeing the sync indicator consistently in the status bar and I'm guessing its because BlurUpdater keeps trying to update the social apps, etc. But since they're frozen it just continually tries to sync them. Not a huge deal, but I think its causing other random slow-downs and temporary freezes.

Droid-Xer
12-21-2010, 11:03 PM
I've found other places that says its okay to remove BlurUpdater. Can anyone tell me what BlurUpdater is called in Titanium? I can't find a way to view the .apk filenames in Titanium, and it displays a little bit different names in the list.

I'm seeing the sync indicator consistently in the status bar and I'm guessing its because BlurUpdater keeps trying to update the social apps, etc. But since they're frozen it just continually tries to sync them. Not a huge deal, but I think its causing other random slow-downs and temporary freezes.

Its updater.apk in TiBackup. Freeze this to stop updates.

the_Fiddler
12-22-2010, 01:51 AM
Hey all, I like being able to buy music on my phone, so in case you didn't notice, the latest update of Amazon MP3 gets rid whatever is causing it to auto run, so it should only launch when you open it now:

New in v1.8.29: ...App no longer starts in the background unless “Auto-resume downloads” is enabled
Just update it, then you don't need to freeze/rename it, unless you just really don't want to see it in your app drawer.

Its updater.apk in TiBackup. Freeze this to stop updates.
Thanks, I froze it, but I'm still getting that dang syncing indicator stuck up there. Any other ideas? I wonder if I've just missed something else on the list that's trying to sync but I froze whatever app is associated with it?

EDIT: don't know if this matters, but I'm stuck on the 2.3.320 leak. I was on the OTA 340, but screwed something up and SBF'd the leak. In retrospect I might not have needed to SBF at all, a factory reset might have done it, but its too late for that now and I haven't found any path back to 340.

shanehillsr
12-22-2010, 08:45 AM
Hey all, I like being able to buy music on my phone, so in case you didn't notice, the latest update of Amazon MP3 gets rid whatever is causing it to auto run, so it should only launch when you open it now:

Just update it, then you don't need to freeze/rename it, unless you just really don't want to see it in your app drawer.

Thanks, I froze it, but I'm still getting that dang syncing indicator stuck up there. Any other ideas? I wonder if I've just missed something else on the list that's trying to sync but I froze whatever app is associated with it?

EDIT: don't know if this matters, but I'm stuck on the 2.3.320 leak. I was on the OTA 340, but screwed something up and SBF'd the leak. In retrospect I might not have needed to SBF at all, a factory reset might have done it, but its too late for that now and I haven't found any path back to 340.

I found the sbf on droidlife.com just search for 2.3.340 or what ever the number is.

Sent from my DROIDX

Droid-Xer
12-22-2010, 08:46 AM

The sync indicator will disappear on its own. Kinda annoying but it will pop up every now and then. Especially when using TiBackup.

the_Fiddler
12-22-2010, 11:43 AM
Unfortunately it doesn't. Its there w/in 10 min and doesn't go away. Just woke up. Its been there all night. Not a huge deal as my batt life seems good. But I've had some random slowing and momentary freezes that I don't remember having before. So I was troubleshooting this to see if fixing it would help w the slowing.

Droid-Xer
12-22-2010, 11:47 AM
On switchPro widget (.99 in market) there's a toggle for the sync. You might try this. I use switchpro for all my connections, wifi, BT, gps, etc.

BaconXBits
12-25-2010, 07:37 PM
I'm trying to root my Droid X, and the application linked in step 1 just hangs at "waiting for device..." after executing am5.bin. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be happening, but the Windows USB connect/disconnect sound effect went off several times before getting stuck at where I am now. Also, how might I go about enabling Windows Media Sync? I can't seem to find it anywhere, and Google isn't helping at all.

Also, Verizon recently added Madden 2011 (Madden.apk) to the list of unremovable bloatware (came with my new Droid X). Thought that might be worth pointing out.

Droid-Xer
12-25-2010, 07:58 PM
I'm trying to root my Droid X, and the application linked in step 1 just hangs at "waiting for device..." after executing am5.bin. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be happening, but the Windows USB connect/disconnect sound effect went off several times before getting stuck at where I am now. Also, how might I go about enabling Windows Media Sync? I can't seem to find it anywhere, and Google isn't helping at all.

Also, Verizon recently added Madden 2011 (Madden.apk) to the list of unremovable bloatware (came with my new Droid X). Thought that might be worth pointing out.

Download the z4 root app on your phone, install it and run for root. For most people root is achieved in seconds, but for some several tries are needed. Here's the link http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/13259-z4root-download-links-get-your-root-here.html

When connected to your computer, pull thestatus bar down, click usb connection and then select windows media sync.

BaconXBits
12-25-2010, 09:02 PM
Download the z4 root app on your phone, install it and run for root. For most people root is achieved in seconds, but for some several tries are needed. Here's the link http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/13259-z4root-download-links-get-your-root-here.html

When connected to your computer, pull thestatus bar down, click usb connection and then select windows media sync.
Sorry for my noobiness, but how do I install .apk files downloaded from my computer? Googling led me to various apps like "apkInstaller" and "quick app install," which both crash (the latter is actually just a black screen) upon opening (despite positive reviews).

Thanks for the help so far!

Droid-Xer
12-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Its easy to just download on the phone. I do everything on my phone.

wicked
12-25-2010, 09:11 PM
once downloaded to your pc, plug phone in to pc via usb cable and pull down your status bar and click "usb connections" set it to "usb mass storage"
one open just drag the apk from your pc desktop to the root of your SD card. pull down your status bar again and click on usb connections and set it to "charge only"

give it a few seconds then open up file manager it's the app called "Files" in your app drawer. once open click on "Phone files" and scroll down till you find the "apk"
click and install... a pop up might open up asking you to allow apps installed out of the marker and just click it

BaconXBits
12-25-2010, 11:14 PM
Got everything working, thanks guys!

wicked
12-25-2010, 11:23 PM
glad to hear it :)

adam2dot0
12-26-2010, 02:55 AM
Renaming "MediaSync.apk" or deleting it will cause the MTP service to fail when connecting to your PC. Your PC won't see the SD card when connecting in Media Sync or PC modes, it will only see it in Mass Storage mode.

WugFresh
12-26-2010, 03:29 AM
WugFresh's guide to removing the bloat:

Step one: Download GummyJar ROM
Step two: Backup lame stock ROM with all that bloat
Step three: Wipe data/cache and install GummyJar

Tada! No more bloatware.

-WugFresh

Sent from my DROIDX

Droid-Xer
12-26-2010, 03:37 AM
+1 that's what I did. I was on stock rom on the latest update for about 2 minutes. Then aosp heaven.

AZLuvV
12-26-2010, 04:08 AM
Noob here. Question... I used the free version of titanium backup to delete 3g mobile hotspot. Then, I read that if I deleted bloatware instead of renaming that I would no longer be able to receive system updates. I downloaded the mynet.apk (3g mobile hotspot) to recover but am unable to install. Anything?

WugFresh
12-26-2010, 04:22 AM
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacking-guides/13997-how-install-3ghotspot.html#post131508

Thats a guide for installing 3G hotspot and the 3G hotspot patch.. just follow the instructions for the first part.

You can also follow my instructions here:
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-general-discussion/13030-new-2-3-340-ota-update-failed-5.html#post126215

For restoring all the system files needed to get updates if you accidentally messed something up or deleted it.

*Dont follow those instructions if you have already updated to version 2.3.340, they only apply if you are on version 2.3.15, but I will make new instructions when the next update comes out so no worries.

-WugFresh

Sent from my DROIDX

AZLuvV
12-26-2010, 04:24 AM
take mynet.apk and put it back in system/app/ (or is it data/app? not positive) and give it rw-;r--;r-- permissions

Okay, I understand I have to put mynet.apk in that folder but how do I get permission to do that?

AZLuvV
12-26-2010, 04:25 AM
Cancel that sorry

AZLuvV
12-26-2010, 04:30 AM
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacking-guides/13997-how-install-3ghotspot.html#post131508

Thats a guide for installing 3G hotspot and the 3G hotspot patch.. just follow the instructions for the first part.

-WugFresh

Sent from my DROIDX

I might have a big problem. I don't have a computer right now. Is there any way to just paste the app into the folder where it needs to be and install it from there?

Also, is it true that I won't be able to get my ota system updates if I don't have this stupid worthless app?

WugFresh
12-26-2010, 04:31 AM
Check my updated post

-WugFresh

Sent from my DROIDX

WugFresh
12-26-2010, 04:33 AM
You dont need a computer to do that. And yes, you need to have all stock files to receive updates regardless what they are. That is why I provided those instructions in the seccond link of my original response to your question.

You can do it the way you want, but you need two files:

Mynet.apk and
Mynet.odex

Then you place them in the folder
/system/apps

And then install the apk from there

-WugFresh

Sent from my DROIDX

AZLuvV
12-26-2010, 04:37 AM
Yeah I should probably refresh before posting. Thanks man. You guys are smart.

WugFresh
12-26-2010, 04:41 AM
Have you received the latest update?

-WugFresh

Sent from my DROIDX

WugFresh
12-26-2010, 04:43 AM
If you are confused in anyway just ask whatever question you have.. its all good.

-WugFresh

Sent from my DROIDX

AZLuvV
12-26-2010, 04:45 AM
Have you received the latest update?

-WugFresh

Sent from my DROIDX

If you mean 2.2.1 ota, yes.

WugFresh
12-26-2010, 04:52 AM
Then don't worry about it. There won't be an update for a while and when there is I will post detailed instructions on how to make it work.. no matter what you messed up. If you want Mynet.apk back on your phone now for piece of mind.. then I can walk you through it.

-WugFresh

Sent from my DROIDX

Droid-Xer
12-26-2010, 04:56 AM
There's always SBF. So hakuna matata!!

AZLuvV
12-26-2010, 04:59 AM
Then don't worry about ****. There won't be an update for a while and when there is I will post detailed instructions on how to make it work.. no matter what you ****ed up. If you want Mynet.apk back on your phone now for piece of mind.. then I can walk you through it.

-WugFresh

Sent from my DROIDX

Thank you so much! I downloaded mynet.apk... Can't download mynet.odex (link from chadhaney.com leads to text).

Unable to move anything to system/app.

WugFresh
12-26-2010, 05:00 AM
There's always SBF. So hakuna matata!!

Yes. Thats a nicer way of putting it. Lol. In the original post (OP) of this thread theirs a link to all the files. Just download Mynet.apk and Mynet.odex and put them in:
/system/apps

And then install the apk

-WugFresh

Sent from my DROIDX

WugFresh
12-26-2010, 05:01 AM
Thank you so much! I downloaded mynet.apk... Can't download mynet.odex (link from chadhaney.com leads to text).

Unable to move anything to system/app.

Ok.. one sec

-WugFresh

Sent from my DROIDX

AZLuvV
12-26-2010, 05:04 AM
Once I rooted my x I couldn't stop tweaking it. Its like a scab I can't stop pickin at. Rooted successfully with z4root and from there I was on a mission to unverizon my phone.

WugFresh
12-26-2010, 05:10 AM
Download this (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/attachments/droid-x-hacking-guides/5720d1292939501-how-install-3ghotspot-3ghotspot.zip)

1. Download ROM Manager from the app market
2. Download DroidX Bootstrapper from the app market
3. Open Bootstrapper and select 'Bootstrap Recovery', it will ask you for super user permission which you should grant.
4. Open ROM Mananger and select 'Flash ClockworkMod Recovery'
5. A popup window will come up, select 'Droid X', it will ask you for super user permission which you should grant
6. Open Bootstrapper and select 'Reboot Recovery' and it will boot into clockwork recovery [alternatively you can do a battery pull and boot up to get into clockwork recovery mode]

**Clockwork recovery is a black screen with small green writing, all menu navigation is done with the volume keys and selection is done with the camera button. The touch screen is unresponsive.**

-Select 'install zip from sdcard'
-Then 'choose zip from sdcard'
-Navigate to the correct zip package
{in this case its the 3g hotspot zip, located in [/sdcard/downloads] ... or [/sdcard/'whatever browser you use'/downloads]}

-Select>apply zip>yes
-wait until install completes
-use the back button twice
-Select reboot system

Tada!

Droid-Xer
12-26-2010, 05:30 AM
How to use droid x bootstrap is in my signature along with a free download of the app. FYI

AZLuvV
12-26-2010, 05:38 AM
Download this (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/attachments/droid-x-hacking-guides/5720d1292939501-how-install-3ghotspot-3ghotspot.zip)

3. Open Bootstrapper and select 'Bootstrap Recovery', it will ask you for super user permission which you should grant.
5. A popup window will come up, select 'Droid X', it will ask you for super user permission which you should grant
6. Open Bootstrapper and select 'Reboot Recovery' and it will boot into clockwork recovery [alternatively you can do a battery pull and boot up to get into clockwork recovery mode]

**Clockwork recovery is a black screen with small green writing, all menu navigation is done with the volume keys and selection is done with the camera button. The touch screen is unresponsive.**

{in this case its the 3g hotspot zip, located in [/sdcard/downloads] ... or [/sdcard/'whatever browser you use'/downloads]}

-Select>apply zip>yes
-Select reboot system

Tada!

Can I do this without bootstrapper? I have backup everything app which I believe does the same thing. No card for app purchase.

WugFresh
12-26-2010, 05:47 AM
No. Bootstrapper is single handedly the most important app that you will ever get.. and it does something that no other app can do. It is involved in almost ever single process that you will undergo as a root user.

In Droid-Xers signature there is a link for instructions on how to set it up and a link to get the app for free.

-WugFresh

Sent from my DROIDX

AZLuvV
12-26-2010, 05:54 AM
All finished. You guys should take over verizon tech support. Thanks :)

WugFresh
12-26-2010, 06:05 AM
Nice. Glad it worked.. No problem. And once you root the people on this forum are your tech support because verizon wont help you deal with these kind of problems. Luckily for you, the end user is like five hundred times better at solving problems than some person following a standardized guide of trouble shooting procedures... we are the people who actually use these phones, and we will spare you the stupid questions and get right to the answer... plus we will use our own intuition... for these reasons DROIDX forums does something that no tech support is capable of, and its actually way better for everyone. This forum is filled with smart people who know way more than me, so don't hesitate to ask questions if you are ever really confused or getting fustrated.

All I ask is that as you learn, if someone else asks a question that you know how to solve then try and help. Then it all comes full circle..

Have a nice day.

-WugFresh

Sent from my DROIDX

AZLuvV
12-26-2010, 06:45 AM
Okay... So I thought I did it. Mynet.apk is in system/app. Ran it... Install failed. Mynet.odex does not appear. Thought it worked cause I saw the apk in the folder.

Mybad.oops

AZLuvV
12-26-2010, 12:08 PM
I'm almost certain now that its because I don't have the mynet.odex in system/app. I tried the link on chadhaney.com but it leads to a page full of text. The mynet.odex link does not download anything. Even if I do download it... I can't put anything in the system/app folder. I know I sound real dense right now so I appreciate ask your help. When I figure this out I write a detailed guide to solving this same issue the way that I did it. If I ever do.

Abe21599
12-26-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm almost certain now that its because I don't have the mynet.odex in system/app. I tried the link on chadhaney.com but it leads to a page full of text. The mynet.odex link does not download anything. Even if I do download it... I can't put anything in the system/app folder. I know I sound real dense right now so I appreciate ask your help. When I figure this out I write a detailed guide to solving this same issue the way that I did it. If I ever do.

youre getting all that text bc its a binary file. try right clicking it and saving it.

theres this
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rs-guides/13386-how-reinstall-deleted-system-apps-bloatware.html

WugFresh
12-26-2010, 12:27 PM
Its all good. Your guess might be right. You might need to download both the Mynet.apk and the Mynet.odex because the Mynet.apk that I linked to you is deodexed which means it contains the info thats normally in the odex file; its kinda similar to compressed archive files vs uncompressed on. Windows. Sorry for giving you the wrong thing.

Thats not the only site you can get stock files from. Give me a seccond and I will find another location.

Wait.... what file explorer are you using? ... you actually need root explorer... you need to be able to mount your system for read/write access.

If you cant buy that then you can use terminal commands, and download a free terminal app.

-WugFresh

Sent from my DROIDX

AZLuvV
12-26-2010, 12:29 PM
Save the page? I'm not using a computer bc don't have one.

WugFresh
12-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Yeah, i'm not on one either otherwise I would zip them for you.

-WugFresh

Sent from my DROIDX

WugFresh
12-26-2010, 12:42 PM
Oh.. just download the link on the chadly page that says the zip package of all the system files at the top of the list.

It will take a little while but that will take care of your download problem.

Basically what your going to do is follow exactly whats in the link abe posted except your downloading the full zip package to your phone which your then going to extract, and then get your Mynet.apk and Mynet.odex from there.

If your trying the do it for no money, the other modification your gonna need to make to those instructions is using terminal to mount your system for read/write access.... but if you got root explorer it would be way easier and its worth purchasing because its the best file explorer for people with root access and you will need to use it all the time.

-WugFresh

Sent from my DROIDX

AZLuvV
12-26-2010, 04:12 PM
Yes! I bought root manager and moved both the apk and odex. Hit install... Failed. But I am excited that I got this far.

WugFresh
12-26-2010, 04:17 PM
You gotta press the 'mount R/W' button in the upper right corner so that it reads 'mount R/O' before you try and install it.

Your almost there.

-WugFresh

Sent from my DROIDX

AZLuvV
12-26-2010, 04:24 PM
Tried it. No difference. I did change the permissions as indicated in abes instructions. He lists installing the apk before changing the permissions. ?

WugFresh
12-26-2010, 04:28 PM
Go back to your home screen
Menu button > settings > applications > check 'Unknown Sources'

Try again.. the permissions should have nothing to do with it installing (I think), that just changes it into a system app so thst after you install it you can't uninstall it normally like the rest of the bloat.

If it doesn't work you may want to enable all the permissions, then install and then set them back... I dont think it matters but its possible.

-WugFresh

Sent from my DROIDX

AZLuvV
12-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Unknown sources was checked. I tried enabling all permissions but you were right, it didn't do anything.

AZLuvV
12-26-2010, 04:35 PM
My heart is pounding I'm soo close!

WugFresh
12-26-2010, 04:43 PM
What error are you getting.

Is it just saying... install unsuccessful.?

-WugFresh

Sent from my DROIDX

AZLuvV
12-26-2010, 04:50 PM
Application not installed

Droid-Xer
12-26-2010, 05:07 PM
Did you press the search button during update install to determine where error is?

AZLuvV
12-26-2010, 05:10 PM
I don't understand

WugFresh
12-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Droid-Xer.. he's not installing the update, he already did. He's just trying to restore Mynet.apk, not that it matters because we will have a new stock files zip way before the next update.

-WugFresh

Sent from my DROIDX

Droid-Xer
12-26-2010, 05:11 PM
oops...for the tbh hotspot?

WugFresh
12-26-2010, 05:13 PM
AZzLuvv I will package you a new zip to flash

-WugFresh

Sent from my DROIDX

WugFresh
12-26-2010, 05:14 PM
Not even.. he just wants to have all the stock back.

-WugFresh

Sent from my DROIDX

WugFresh
12-26-2010, 05:15 PM
But isnt the one in roolers guide deodexed? Or is the same.

-WugFresh

Sent from my DROIDX

WugFresh
12-26-2010, 05:24 PM
@AZzLuvV

1. Use Root Explorer and navigate to [/system] and select 'mount R/W' so that the button now reads 'mount R/O'
2. Now go back to my original instructions.. the one where you use the 3G hotspot zip package and bootstrapper, and follow those exactly. It should work now.

-WugFresh

Sent from my DROIDX

AZLuvV
12-26-2010, 05:44 PM
Same as last time. Application not installed. No odex in system/app

WugFresh
12-26-2010, 05:46 PM
Ok... delete the Mynet.apk and the Mynet.odex and give me one sec.

-WugFresh

Sent from my DROIDX

WugFresh
12-26-2010, 06:08 PM
Download: 3GHotspotWugFresh.zip

[/sdcard/tapatalkforumsdroidx/3GHotspotWugFresh.zip]

-Select>apply zip>yes
-Select reboot system

AZLuvV
12-26-2010, 08:04 PM
I don't know man. Tried it. Deleted tried again and I did it like 3 more times. Same thing and now I can't download the zip.

AZLuvV
12-26-2010, 11:00 PM
!!! I found the answer !!!

Droid x

How to restore/reinstall/recover 3g mobile hotspot (system app: mynet.apk).

Must have for this method:

bootstrapper
Root explorer
Androzip

Don't be stupid like me. Make backups before changing anything.

Make a backup.

Go to chadhaney.com and click on

Get "1.113.516 default files here" link. Then click on "zip package of all apps" link above the alphabetized app list. This will download a zip file of a bunch of system apps. This guide concerns mynet.apk.

When finished, open androzip and navigate to sdcard/download/ and click on droidxdefaultapps_1.113.516........ This will either automatically extract the files to androzip or you will need to specify a file. I used sdcard/androzip.

Next, open root explorer. Make sure that the button on the upper-right reads "r/o". Navigate to sdcard/androzip/ and move mynet.apk to /system/app/.

Click on mynet.apk and install. There a are no odex files associated with this method and I didn't have to change any permissions (although you might wanna look into doing that. I'm not sure of the propose for doing that.

(thanks Droid-Xer and WugFresh... it was just the wrong link.)

Mybut.happy :)

AZLuvV
12-26-2010, 11:01 PM
PS

BUY ROOT EXPLORER!

WugFresh
12-27-2010, 12:20 AM
Nice. Glad you got it to work.

FYI, you don't need androzip.. RootExplorer can extract zip files

And now that its installed, you should change the permissions to turn it back into a system file... in order for you to receive updates in the future, you need to have all the system files intact... just having mynet.apk wont cut it. Changing file permissions wont mess up your installation now that you allready did it. Permissions:

User: Read/Write
Group: Read
Other: Read

I'm happy for you that you got it to work and that you figured out the final solution on your own. Did the post I made with the 3GHotspotWugFresh.zip not work.? Because then I should take that down.

Happy to help.

-WugFresh

Sent from my DROIDX

AZLuvV
12-27-2010, 01:02 AM
No. it didn't work. The only reason I used androzip is because root explorer would extract files to "extracted" folder but when I went to the folder nothing was in it. It did this many times before I remembered I had androzip.

AZLuvV
12-27-2010, 01:06 AM
I meant no the zip file did not work. The apk I needed was found in 1.113.516 default apps not 2.2.1 @ chadhaney.com

Hopefully it serves my purpose in reinstalling it.

WugFresh
12-27-2010, 02:05 AM
Ok. Just change file permissions and your golden. But if you ask me, you should backup your stock ROM and move on to custom ROMs, that's the real benefit of root.

-WugFresh

Sent from my DROIDX

DebianDog
12-27-2010, 09:29 AM
Ok. Just change file permissions and your golden. But if you ask me, you should backup your stock ROM and move on to custom ROMs, that's the real benefit of root.

TRUE THAT my brother!

AZLuvV
12-27-2010, 03:44 PM
I know, I know. But I just love adw. I'm soo attached to my setup. And I still am not confident that I'm backing up properly. Suggestions?

stixx2002
01-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Using Titanium, does anyone know what files to freeze to get rid of the "Media Share" function?

Droid-Xer
01-04-2011, 02:21 AM
I believe thats dlna

WugFresh
01-04-2011, 03:03 AM
I'm pretty sure its media sync.

Media share relies on DLNA... so if you don't use it, you can freeze:
MediaSync.apk
DLNA.apk
DLNAservice.apk

Or just install a custom ROM and stop worrying about freezing apps that you dont need.

{{ WugFresh }}

DJJayito
01-07-2011, 02:40 PM
I want to save this thread, so I am just replying for that purpose. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR CREATING THIS!

ryant35
01-07-2011, 02:42 PM
I want to save this thread, so I am just replying for that purpose. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR CREATING THIS!

Next time you can subscribe to the thread from the thread tools button at the top of the page that we the rest of us don't come see that you subscribed... :)

RugerDog
01-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Next time you can subscribe to the thread from the thread tools button at the top of the page that we the rest of us don't come see that you subscribed... :)
Its amazing how many people dont know this but then again I still get emails featuring the amazing dancing baby ;)

I really haven't done much other than rooting with z4root (Root Explorer, Cache Cleaner, Bootstrapp etc.). Ive got over 340 apps, if I remove "bloat ware" will it improve performance or speed??

ryant35
01-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Its amazing how many people dont know this but then again I still get emails featuring the amazing dancing baby ;)

I really haven't done much other than rooting with z4root (Root Explorer, Cache Cleaner, Bootstrapp etc.). Ive got over 340 apps, if I remove "bloat ware" will it improve performance or speed??

The bloatware does run in the background, so yes it will free up memory. Will it be enough to be noticeable? I don't think so but every little bit helps.

Droid-Xer
01-08-2011, 10:27 PM
You will notice a difference in both battery life and UI smoothness.

nycebo
01-09-2011, 09:59 AM
The bloatware does run in the background, so yes it will free up memory. Will it be enough to be noticeable? I don't think so but every little bit helps.

It's more than noticeable on my end, but then again, I removed a heck of a lot of bloatware after carefully considering what I actually used and what I never plan to use. Think of it like a individually created custom ROM. Indeed, the DX runs smoother and the battery definitely lasts longer. Heck, that social message and friend feed garbage (for me at least) was totally a hog.

speops38
01-10-2011, 02:27 PM
Ok folks I have root with the z4root, installed bootstrap,rom manger,titanium backup, ran bootstrap then froze some stuff listed. I still shows up in app draw. and what should i be doing next?

DebianDog
01-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Ok folks I have root with the z4root, installed bootstrap,rom manger,titanium backup, ran bootstrap then froze some stuff listed. I still shows up in app draw. and what should i be doing next?

rebooting

Droid-Xer
01-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Ensure chuck norris mode is on in the settings

speops38
01-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Yep took a minute but figured it out and had chuck on the job!!!!!

Droid-Xer
01-10-2011, 05:38 PM
nothing gets by Mr. Norris

budmonster
01-16-2011, 02:49 AM
is this the most up to date list out there? with all the current apps you can freeze/remove?

DebianDog
01-16-2011, 05:24 AM
Why what is missing?

Beamed from my DroidX

ryant35
01-16-2011, 12:37 PM
is this the most up to date list out there? with all the current apps you can freeze/remove?

There isn't any new bloatware on the phone, the only new app is the Madden game which you can freeze if you don't want it. I'm not sure if that one is bloatware or if you can uninstall it.

CrAsH_OvErIdE
01-16-2011, 09:33 PM
I uninstalled it. Gone. No problem. Then I uninstalled Titanium.

Back me up. I'm going in....

CrAsH_OvErIdE
01-16-2011, 09:36 PM
I also got rid of Kindle and Amazon and Skype.

Back me up. I'm going in....

rigacci
01-20-2011, 10:57 AM
Hey!
I have a Droid 2 Global that I rooted and then installed Root Explorer.

I have been successful in renaming all of the apps I did not want but Amazon MP3 still shows up in the App list and it opens up as well.

I have rebooted at least 3 times. Had the same thing with Kindle but that disappeared after a reboot.

Am I missing an apk file? I renamed the Amazon MP3 apk file (the long file name one). I even moved it to my sd card (and moved it back, after it still showed up.

What does anyone think?

DR