PDA

View Full Version : Amazon App Store - Good for the Android Ecosystem?

JohnDroid
09-29-2010, 12:15 PM
http://img.droidforums.net/img/amazon-app-store.jpg

To say that the Android Market could be improved would be an understatement. A number of App-Assistance sites have sprung up to fill the hole that Google has been unable to fill: Clean interface, Information you need, Screenshots, Ratings, etc.

But they all live a little to be desired as well. That's where Amazon is hoping to have an impact on the market. They seem to think they can develop and administer an App store that will change the buying experience. And at the same time, I'm sure they are hoping to improve upon the Android experience to stick it to Apple just a bit and keep the competing iPad from becoming a threat to their digital book sales at the same time.

So, will this be a Win/Win for both Android and Amazon? Let's hope so... and just to sweeten the pot a little bit more, Business Insider (http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-why-amazons-android-app-store-is-great-news-2010-9) has a few points as to WHY this might be a match made in heaven for everyone involved.

Amazon has a great software backend, they should be able to improve Application Discovery easily.
Amazon accepts payments in more countries then Google. A problem that has kept Google from opening up the market to other countries and has (some speculate) increased piracy.
Amazon has a great website to promote Apps on. Lots of eyeballs.
Amazon has the ability to set their own rules, so possibly no 24 hour return.
Amazon has incentive to make sure that only quality products show up in their market. Money. They get nothing for supporting free apps, while Google does. So quality should be much higher.

I'm very excited to see what Amazon has cooking for this app store. What are your feelings? Looking forward to it or think it's a bad idea? Let us know!

DebianDog
09-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Don't think it will make a difference for us here in the USA. It will be nice for the developers, especially in other countries

hchsim
09-29-2010, 01:18 PM
when will Amazon launch their Android Apps store? I would certainly be interested to see how it pans out.

UnlikelySalsero
09-29-2010, 01:40 PM
http://img.droidforums.net/img/amazon-app-store.jpg

To say that the Android Market could be improved would be an understatement. A number of App-Assistance sites have sprung up to fill the hole that Google has been unable to fill: Clean interface, Information you need, Screenshots, Ratings, etc.

But they all live a little to be desired as well. That's where Amazon is hoping to have an impact on the market. They seem to think they can develop and administer an App store that will change the buying experience. And at the same time, I'm sure they are hoping to improve upon the Android experience to stick it to Apple just a bit and keep the competing iPad from becoming a threat to their digital book sales at the same time.

<snip>
I'm very excited to see what Amazon has cooking for this app store. What are your feelings? Looking forward to it or think it's a bad idea? Let us know!

I think it will help... At a minimum it will provide some decent competition for the Google Market, pushing Google to improve too.

It gives us another choice for buying apps. Having Amazon (a huge marketing brand name itself) promoting Android apps is a win.

Just as important, there are still huge sets of people on "feature phones" who will move to either Android or iPhones in the next few years. People actually buy phones for the cool/functional apps.

Amazon will reach some of those people in a way that Google hasn't so far. That reinforces Android having another giant in the space. Amazon's existing user base will see more ads for Android apps/phones and that is a win for us.

Amazon have an opportunity to build a better store. They have a strong track record for selling.

Google built the Market from scratch, guessing how it would be used, now Amazon has a decent real-world market and is starting with a cleaner slate (plus the leverage of their existing sales/marketing/user community experiences).

All that to say Amazon moving into the neighborhood will be good for all of us.

omnicious
09-29-2010, 03:00 PM
If Amazon's market can allow me to sort apps based on price/rating/downloads then it's already leaps and bounds ahead of Android Market.

DebianDog
09-29-2010, 03:36 PM
If Amazon's market can allow me to sort apps based on price/rating/downloads then it's already leaps and bounds ahead of Android Market.

AppBrain Android Market (http://www.appbrain.com/) does not "do it all" but it is a lot easier than the market.

omalyn
10-02-2010, 02:00 PM
I think it is a great idea. I have long been a fan of the Kindle and my purchase info is already on file at Amazon. Can't wait to check this one out.

psychotic_penguin
10-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Agree with DD...App Brain is alot easier

gman
10-03-2010, 01:44 PM
The Android marketplace is really broken when it comes to support of the developers themselves. It won't be hard for amazon to put something up to make it attractive to developers. And like any market if you attract the develoeprs then by default the customers will follow.

Through my limited exposure to the marketplace as a dev, I seem to encounter a new problem almost every day:
- No real way for developers to get support when something goes wrong with the market. You can email them but they usually respond with a "We are looking into it" then weeks can go by before you get any response. In many cases they suggest you ask your question in the android public forum to see if one of the other developers might know how the fix the problem with the marketpalce. Seriously?
- Android Market takes their 30% but unlike the Apple Marketplace leaves it up to the developer to deal with domestic and international tax laws. If you sell an app you need to be a big business or at least hire a CPA to keep yourself legal. On Apple marketplace they take care of this for the developers making it MUCH easier for independent developer to produce applications without having to become a business major. Seriously, how many dev's want to have to worry about whether they need to process a VAT when selling to England? Whole purpose of marketplace should be to shield developer from such issues.
- Copyprotection/Licensing mechanisms provides by the android marketplace are basically in a beta state. They work sometimes and not others and are easily broken.
- Documentation provided for settings in Android Marketplace seems to be inadequate or out of date from the current version that of the marketplace the developers deals with. In the developer console the settings and functions don't behave as documented.