PDA

View Full Version : Steinheil Ultra Crystal screen protector install and review

Garemlin
07-17-2010, 04:34 PM
Just arrived in the mail today. I must say I am really impressed with how fast it shipped considering it was just released on July 14th.

Package contents:
It comes with two screen protectors. That is it and that is all you need. It came packaged in a large envelope and sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard.

Installation:
Installation was a snap. Took a total of five minutes from package open to install complete. I installed mine in the bathroom with the shower running on hot to create a humid environment. This helps keep dust down. I cleaned my screen with a microfiber cloth and a few squirts of eyeglass cleaner. After that I cleaned it again. That is just the OCD in me. I laid the protector down on the screen to make sure it fit and to see what alignment would be before removing the protective film. Peeled part of the back film away and aligned it with the top and slowly applied it downward using a credit card to smooth it as I went. When application was done I used the credit card to smooth out the edges. Then I peeled the top protective layer off. Finished!!!

Results:
I must say that I am extremely impressed with these protectors. I have a regular Steinheil on my Droid and it was cut just very slightly big so it never laid flat on one corner. Not the case here. There is only a very slight gap at the top and bottom. When I say slight I mean hairline. Unless you look really close you can't even tell that a protector is installed. There are zero bubbles or raising. Clarity is unaffected. Touch is just slightly less smooth than bare glass but nothing that affects performance. And nowhere near anything like you get from went apply films.

Conclusion:
I highly recommend. Get over to SGP Store and order one now.

SGPStore.com (http://www.sgpstore.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=droid+x&x=0&y=0)

EDIT:

Removal and Reinstallation:
Well the situation came up that I had to return my X for a new one. I know the regular Steinheil could be carefully removed and reapplied so I figured the same would apply for the Ultras. Well that is actually the case. Removed it from the first one and it went on the new one with zero issues. Just like it was a brand new protector.

This is what I did:
-Took a piece of scotch tape and ran it across the very bottom edge of the protector when looking at it in portrait mode. I left a tiny bit of overhang. I then too another piece and ran it straight down the middle of the protector from top to bottom leave about an inch overhang. Be sure to use good Scotch brand tape. Not that gummy generic junk. Then I gently pulled the top piece of tape back pulling the protector with it. Comes off with zero issues or residue. It was going to be sitting out for a few hours so I put it in a tupperware container with the lid on to prevent any dust. Then when I got home with the new phone I just held both ends of the tape and lined the protector up with the top edge and slowly laid it back down on the screen. I used a business card to smooth out any bubble as opposed to using a credit card which may scratch the protector. That is it. Good as new.

UPDATE:

Well I had to take back phone number two so obviously the Steinheil had to come off. Went back on phone number three just like it was brand new.

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j442/garemlin/DSCN0526.jpg

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j442/garemlin/DSCN0528.jpg

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j442/garemlin/DSCN0530.jpg

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j442/garemlin/DSCN0535.jpg

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/members/garemlin-albums-mics-pics-picture205-dscn0526.jpg

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/members/garemlin-albums-mics-pics-picture207-dscn0528.jpg

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/members/garemlin-albums-mics-pics-picture206-dscn0535.jpg

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/members/garemlin-albums-mics-pics-picture204-dscn0530.jpg

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/members/garemlin-albums-mics-pics-picture203-dscn0534.jpg

pacmantravis
07-17-2010, 05:23 PM
Nice, thanks! Ordered one of these on the 15th, hope to get it soon.

bamfsig45
07-17-2010, 05:24 PM
Didn't order mine till yesterday so i wont get them till next week. Thanks for the review.

LowNSlow
07-17-2010, 05:37 PM
I have one on order as well. How easy is it to wipe your prints off of it? I've used other brands in the past and it took a bit of effort after prints were caked on so to speak.

BigN8ive
07-17-2010, 06:15 PM
I am not sure about this particular ultra crystal protector but for my droid I used the anti-fingerprint protector from steinheil. I loved it, I have one on the way for my x. It works for me because I am ocd about prints on my screen. It does have a little bit of a texture (almost matte finish) but the trade off for not having to wipe the screen is worth it to me.

Garemlin
07-17-2010, 06:15 PM
I have one on order as well. How easy is it to wipe your prints off of it? I've used other brands in the past and it took a bit of effort after prints were caked on so to speak.

To be totally honest it is a little harder to get fingerprints off than the bare screen. But it is a fair trade-off IMO. Not like you have to scrub or anything. Just have a couple of micorfiber cloths handy. I have one in the car, one in the tour pak of my bike and one in the house.

LowNSlow
07-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Sound good. I had to ask because there was a line in their product description about fingerprint removal. Just wanted to know if it was marketing or not.

WcHorse
07-17-2010, 06:23 PM
You said you had a regular one on your Droid so how does the transparency differ between the two since the newer one is the Ultra Clear version? Also, from your pictures it does not appear to have any "orange peel effect" but can you notice any with your naked eye? Thanks.

Garemlin
07-17-2010, 06:30 PM
You said you had a regular one on your Droid so how does the transparency differ between the two since the newer one is the Ultra Clear version? Also, from your pictures it does not appear to have any "orange peel effect" but can you notice any with your naked eye? Thanks.

Well in all honesty comparing the two is difficult because of the screen size difference. I just held them both side by side and they both look pretty much crystal clear. Can't say one is better than the other. Also you will not get orange peel with these because they are rigid. They are not like the soft films that Zagg, Ghost Armour, PhantomSkinz, etc all use. The orange peel effect with all of those usually comes from bad installation. It is usually caused from using the squeegee, dry, too much or with too much pressure to try to get bubble out. You will not get it with these because they apply dry.

WcHorse
07-17-2010, 06:36 PM
Well in all honesty comparing the two is difficult because of the screen size difference. I just held them both side by side and they both look pretty much crystal clear. Can't say one is better than the other. Also you will not get orange peel with these because they are rigid. They are not like the soft films that Zagg, Ghost Armour, PhantomSkinz, etc all use. The orange peel effect with all of those usually comes from bad installation. It is usually caused from using the squeegee, dry, too much or with too much pressure to try to get bubble out. You will not get it with these because they apply dry.

Awesome. Thanks for your prompt reply.

pacmantravis
07-17-2010, 06:41 PM
I checked my mail and saw that I got the ultra clears!

I can confirm everything said in the review.

I can only tell that there is a screen protector on when I look at the edges. It's MUCH clearer than the Zagg I have on my TomTom and on my Omnia; way easier to apply as well.

Now all I need is a case that will fit the car mount.

statik
07-17-2010, 07:06 PM
How does the protector do against scratches to the film itself is what I really like to know. Anyone care to take one for the team and test these Crystal shields out for us?

Garemlin
07-17-2010, 07:16 PM
How does the protector do against scratches to the film itself is what I really like to know. Anyone care to take one for the team and test these Crystal shields out for us?

Buy a set of two, send me one and I will be glad to test the one I have installed.

Martimus
07-18-2010, 01:09 AM
I just ordered both the Ultra Crystal and Anti-Fingerprint screen protectors from SGP. It'll be interesting trying to decide which one to use! LOL

Cukies
07-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Going to buy the Ultra Crystal and Anti-Fingerprint when i get the money.

elecga
07-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Knew I should have ordered one the other day, looks like Ultra Crystal is currently sold out :(

thescreensavers
07-18-2010, 02:41 PM
I just ordered both the Ultra Crystal and Anti-Fingerprint screen protectors from SGP. It'll be interesting trying to decide which one to use! LOL

Yea I would go with the clear one.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/attachments/droid-accessories/1857d1263665102-steinheil-anti-fingerprint-blur-steinheil-blur.jpg

Martimus
07-18-2010, 03:04 PM
Yea I would go with the clear one.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/attachments/droid-accessories/1857d1263665102-steinheil-anti-fingerprint-blur-steinheil-blur.jpg

Thanks! I may take you up on that suggestion!

Rhith
07-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Looks like a great screen protector! I'm currently using the Anti-Glare verizon screen protector. Was going to hold off since I had a Zagg pre-ordered (used them before and it is in the mail now) But I'm thinking about just keeping this on here.
But if I ever decide to change protectors I'll certainly give Steinheil a look

thescreensavers
07-18-2010, 10:57 PM
So I guess Ill be buying one of these when they come back in stock, Right now I am using some cheapo screen protector that I got for 2 bucks which sucks lol.

imronburgundy
07-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Ordered mine the other day. Hopefully it comes soon. I bought some of the Verizon screen covers for the meantime.

android
07-19-2010, 03:03 PM
Received my Ultra Clear films today, they appear to be high quality and go on quite easily and for the most part look and work great on the X.

No matter how clean I made the screen, there was always on or two minuscule dust particles caught under the film, which caused bubble(s) to form, which could not be squeegeed out due to the dust sticking to the film. Lifting the film to remove the one particle caused a static attraction to other particles.

I have a clean desk area to work around, but since I don't have an ISO clean room, I would probably need several more attempts to get the film down without any dust infiltration.

Good product...time will tell on scratches and fingerprints.

Garemlin
07-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Received my Ultra Clear films today, they appear to be high quality and go on quite easily and for the most part look and work great on the X.

No matter how clean I made the screen, there was always on or two minuscule dust particles caught under the film, which caused bubble(s) to form, which could not be squeegeed out due to the dust sticking to the film. Lifting the film to remove the one particle caused a static attraction to other particles.

I have a clean desk area to work around, but since I don't have an ISO clean room, I would probably need several more attempts to get the film down without any dust infiltration.

Good product...time will tell on scratches and fingerprints.

That is why in my review I stated the best place to install is in the bathroom with the hot shower running. The humidity keeps the dust particles down.

thescreensavers
07-19-2010, 03:55 PM
^ You are supposed to run the shower get some steam in the room, turn off the shower and when the steam starts to cool off, thats why you do it, since the hot steam will cool off and weigh down the dust particles in the air.

I never heard of it being done with the Shower running.

Garemlin
07-19-2010, 08:12 PM
^ You are supposed to run the shower get some steam in the room, turn off the shower and when the steam starts to cool off, thats why you do it, since the hot steam will cool off and weigh down the dust particles in the air.

I never heard of it being done with the Shower running.

Worked for me on three different occasions. Either way there is moisture in the air which will keep dust particles from floating.

LowNSlow
07-19-2010, 08:16 PM
I installed my SGP anti-fingerprint with the shower on full hot. I was about 5 feet away by the sink. No dust, no problems.

the5rivers
07-19-2010, 09:37 PM
Just a heads up, its available to order again.

thescreensavers
07-20-2010, 12:12 AM
^ Sweet in for one. Cant wait, The cheapo one I have now has some bubbles lol, its a wet application which I did dry.

Worked for me on three different occasions. Either way there is moisture in the air which will keep dust particles from floating.

Oh I see it worked for you, but just saying.

GotADV
07-20-2010, 12:29 AM
Just installed mine. Had to pull some dust off, but not too bad. I like that they give you 2 sheets.

BlakeDC
07-20-2010, 12:37 AM
Anybody have any pictures of the Invisible shield installed? just the screen coverage.

CadillaC
07-20-2010, 12:44 AM
sweet...thank god i check back on here tonight...just ordered mine :)

Matrices
07-20-2010, 07:50 AM
Dang... here I am thinking my first post on any of these Droid forums is going to be giving someone some useful info ;) I too, just noticed that they were again available for purchase. I've used Zagg on my last few phones, and had it on my /cough... Omnia. I can completely relate to how it feels like the sensitivity on the screen just isn't quite "there" with a Zagg protector. I'm hopeful this thing is as good as it sounds, Garemlin. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jaxidian
07-20-2010, 11:19 AM
What are thoughts on the full-body skin that includes the ultra clear screen protector? Is it protective enough to go naked otherwise or is it more-or-less pointless?

mach330
07-20-2010, 03:25 PM
got my ultra crystal clear last night. finally tried the bathroom method to install to help prevent lint. it does work. i did get one stupid lint at the very bottom (not on the screen ,but on the verizon logo, so it's ok). i had it on my dinc and droid. i can't use anything else but steinhel. feels like glass.

didiwags
07-21-2010, 12:40 AM
I am jealous! That looks great. I have the horrible ones from Verizon!!

buzzkill
07-21-2010, 01:16 AM
To be totally honest it is a little harder to get fingerprints off than the bare screen. But it is a fair trade-off IMO. Not like you have to scrub or anything. Just have a couple of micorfiber cloths handy. I have one in the car, one in the tour pak of my bike and one in the house.

looks amazing thanks for the review but my only question is why are you installing it in your bathroom? lol

have you tried like a big screen tv clean solution from monster to get the prints off?

mach330
07-21-2010, 02:58 AM
the main issue with this is the lint. it's unavoidable unless you do the bathroom trick. the moisture/mist from the bathroom will limit the amount of lint in the air. the bubbles are no problems, it's just the lint that gets in there no matter how much you clean it out.

omnicious
07-21-2010, 04:33 AM
Anyone know if it leaves a sticky residue when you remove it? That's my number one gripe with screen protectors. Also I would not suggest go with only these around the whole phone. They do little to actually soften impact.

Garemlin
07-21-2010, 06:06 AM
Anyone know if it leaves a sticky residue when you remove it? That's my number one gripe with screen protectors. Also I would not suggest go with only these around the whole phone. They do little to actually soften impact.

Not at all. Nothing to clean off the screen either.

imronburgundy
07-21-2010, 08:41 AM
Maybe I'm just an idiot but each time I try to install,i get bubbles underneath. I've tried everything even the hot shower trick.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

mach330
07-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Maybe I'm just an idiot but each time I try to install,i get bubbles underneath. I've tried everything even the hot shower trick.

the hot shower method is for the lint. can't help you with bubbles there. bubbles should be no problem if you install it slowly. inch by inch, use the squeegie. this is by far the easiest to install without bubbles. just take your time.

omnicious
07-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but they give you two protectors in a box right?

imronburgundy
07-21-2010, 03:26 PM
Ok you've convinced me to try it again when I get home...will update if I can install without bubbles or not

mach330
07-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but they give you two protectors in a box right?

yeah you get two. cuz they know you'll mess up your first one. lol

Aaron636r
07-21-2010, 08:38 PM
I ordered their anti finger print covers. They match up well...came nicely. however, really makes the screen look dull and not very clear. I'm all about clarity of screens so I took mine off and may or may not use them.

omnicious
07-21-2010, 11:41 PM
I wanted to know if the Anti Fingerprint one helps with looking at the screen outside in the sun.

mach330
07-21-2010, 11:48 PM
I wanted to know if the Anti Fingerprint one helps with looking at the screen outside in the sun.

i highly doubt it. it's harder to see inside compare to crystal clear so i can't imagine it being easier outside.

omnicious
07-21-2010, 11:57 PM
i highly doubt it. it's harder to see inside compare to crystal clear so i can't imagine it being easier outside.Yeah but the Anti Fingerprint also reduces a lot of glare so I figure that might help.

rolandct
07-22-2010, 12:17 PM
I just put mine on, I'd give it a 8 out of 10. I think the installation part is a little over blown, I did it at my work desk which is dirty and dusty without any issues, you just have to do it quickly (not rush, but don't make it a project) and none of that should matter much too much. I also like the look and feel. Where I took points off is the cut/size. I like it a little small as I prefer the trade off of easier installation and I think the width is OK, but the length/height is a little too short. You will notice a small gap unless you perfectly center it. However it isn't enough to really bother me, that's why I would still recommend this cover to anyone. For basically the same money as the crappy Verizon ones you can get these, a no brainer.

Ultra Crystal model

Matrices
07-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Thus far, this has to be the best protector I've used. I got mine yesterday, and mine went on without a hitch! Crystal clear for real! However, I got overconfident when I went to put the second protector on my wife's DroidX (yeah... she was jealous so we picked her one up also lol). I had to lift the corners up several times to get out dust particles that were creating little bubbles. The tape strips they supply really don't do much when you're trying to remove a single dust particle - it took several attempts. Unfortunately, I was too "cool" to try the shower method, so I paid for it with the extra effort ;). Her's only has a very very minor blemish on the upper right corner where I had to peel it back with my fingernail since the plastic squeegie wasn't enough to life the film once it was in place. Had I been smarter about this, it would have gone a lot more smoothly I feel. Overall incredibly impressive clarity and feel with these protectors. Garemlin, thanks again for the suggestion!

pastrygirl
07-23-2010, 11:48 AM
The included stickers lift the protector very easily, if you need to correct something.

Jaxidian
07-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Just got mine in today. Will apply it tonight after I get home once I get the wife in the shower for some steamy action... ;) (Just don't tell her that it's to put a screen cover on my phone!)

Lightninrod
07-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Garemlin: Please clarify/explain "rigid" in this sentence:

Also you will not get orange peel with these because they are rigid.

Jaxidian
07-23-2010, 01:19 PM

This is fairly hard plastic rather than a plastic film material. Think credit card flexibility instead of cling wrap/Press & Seal wrap.

captainhits
07-23-2010, 09:59 PM
I got the anti fingerprint and as I mentioned in another thread HATE IT because it makes the screen look dull and ugly. The opacity of these compared to the verizon are night and day. The verizons are much clearer even though they are anti glare. I cant use the Crystal Clear because they are glare mirror nightmares; Just look at every picture of the install he posted. I wish there was something with the properties of the verizon protiector but obviously covering the whole screen. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Garemlin
07-23-2010, 10:04 PM

Well the Zagg and other wet apply are like a thick piece of plastic wrap. Flor like a wet noodle. The Steinheil holds it shape. Think a crystal clear business card.

southernbuck
07-24-2010, 09:53 AM
"Package contents:
It comes with two screen protectors. That is it and that is all you need. It came packaged in a large envelope and sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard."

Question--it comes with two screen protectors for the $13.99 price??? When I go to the site to order it, I can't find anything that indicates qty 2

Garemlin
07-24-2010, 10:10 AM
"Package contents:
It comes with two screen protectors. That is it and that is all you need. It came packaged in a large envelope and sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard."

Question--it comes with two screen protectors for the $13.99 price??? When I go to the site to order it, I can't find anything that indicates qty 2

Two protectors for the shown price is standard for Steinheil. It was that way with the regulars for my Droid and the Ultras for the X. Clarivue does the same thing.

southernbuck
07-24-2010, 10:19 AM
Two protectors for the shown price is standard for Steinheil. It was that way with the regulars for my Droid and the Ultras for the X. Clarivue does the same thing.

Thank you for the quick reply and your review was outstanding.....the info you provided sold me!!!!

its_just_aj
07-24-2010, 02:57 PM
just got mine today and installed it as soon as it got it. heres my install review and after install review...

install was no longer than 5 minutes it came with the 2 protectors, the screen wipe, the squeegee, and to my surprise lil stickers to lift up the screen protector...
i did exactly what Garemlin said in the instructions and it worked excellent! (thanks again)
screen looks like its not even there @ first glance except if u look at the edges bc of the smaller size for easier install (which helped).

OVERALL: great screen look, touch, quality, and price from ::cretouch.com::
ive had Zagg on itouch, BB Bold, tried the Phantom Skinz wet application on the Droid X prior to this (very messy n heart pounding IMO)
Steinheil is the better off the 3 due to ease of installation, quality

**these are my personal experiences that scared me and MAY scare others during/after application (just wanted to share for those who upon install see the same instances i did)**

1) After fully installing the screen protector on the X, i began to squeegeeing the screen protector and i guess i applied TOO much pressure on the given tool and FTW i put a big divet in the screen! :mad:....
BUT when i left the divet alone and proceeded to squeegee the rest of the bubbles out i began to examine the divet aka dent in the screen protector and remembered that there was that final layer that is on the screen protector you needed to pull off to complete...so i crossed my fingers and hoped that the divet was on this only and VIOLA!!! it was...thank god!

so my point is, dont be too scared to apply alot of pressure upon squeegeeing but dont put too much! :p

2) As i peeled of the final layer on top of the screen protector, i then noticed what appeared to be small "bullet hole in glass"-like marks on my screen protector (about 4 pencil point sized ones)...if u never seen a bullet hole in glass, google it i guess...back to the story....
FTW again....i know what dust looks like trapped under the screen protector since ive applied so many in previous devices, so i kno that wasnt it...

at first i tried wiping it off with the given wipe...nope...then i tried to apply glasses cleaner then wipe...nope...then i tried to squeegee the thing out...nope... :mad:...so as i was about to lift the screen protector up and try to have a look but this was my last resort, so i dunno how it came to me but i tried to apply finger pressure on it thinking it was a tiny bubble that the squeegee didnt get and thus my big fingerprint went on top...wiped the fingerprint and magically it disappeared!!! did it to the other 3 and it worked!!! thank god!

the point of that was if u experience the same "bullet-like" symptoms try the 'its_just_aj fingerprint and wipe" technique...lol

Lightninrod
07-24-2010, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the quick answers J and G.

Garemlin
07-24-2010, 08:09 PM
Updated my original post to now include removal and reinstallation instructions.

thescreensavers
07-24-2010, 09:27 PM
Just installed it, other then a tiny mark which I might of put in somehow, its great. It is Very Clear you cannot tell its even there!

This is so much better then the saran wrap kinds which have horrible orange peal and distort the clarity of the screen.

http://i25.tinypic.com/263hd15.jpg

infiniteraiders
07-24-2010, 10:22 PM
Ordered mine earlier today. Hopefully it comes in by Tuesday the latest.

bofh
07-26-2010, 01:29 PM
Just ordered an ultra crystal one.

Jaxidian
07-26-2010, 02:01 PM
This is fairly hard plastic rather than a plastic film material. Think credit card flexibility instead of cling wrap/Press & Seal wrap.

I need to correct my statement now that I have installed mine. It was much more flexible than I thought it would be. Instead of being rigid like a credit card versus plastic wrap, a better comparison might be construction paper versus notebook paper. It was very flexible still, but it didn't just instantly lose its form.

didiwags
07-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Finally ordered mine today!!! Glad I could go through this ebay buyer and save on the shipping!!!

InfamousDX
07-26-2010, 07:32 PM
I much prefer these dry installations. I agree with whoever said height-wise, it is a bit short. It could be better. Installation was a snap and the results are great. Looks like it's not even there.

klebron23
07-26-2010, 09:16 PM
Just installed mine, need to work out a little bit of bubble on the edge but other than that looks great! Highly recommend!

meth0d
07-27-2010, 02:28 PM
Got my X and Ultra clear today!...it went on super easy and looks awesome, feels fine to me also.

eljoker
07-27-2010, 05:22 PM
I think ive given up on zagg, which one of these is the best?

xximanoobxx
07-28-2010, 10:12 PM
Ordered mine on ebay, 2 days ago, got it today, install was super easy! I love it so far!

ajc2892
07-29-2010, 01:25 AM
Just curious, which ebay seller did you guys buy this protector from?

Think this is right? llol

SGP Steinheil CRYSTAL Screen Protector MOTOROLA Droid X - eBay (item 330455530450 end time Aug-26-10 12:06:20 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/SGP-Steinheil-CRYSTAL-Screen-Protector-MOTOROLA-Droid-X-/330455530450?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item4cf0af3bd2#ht_2059wt_911)

didiwags
07-29-2010, 04:08 PM
Ordered mine on ebay got it today and it was easy to install!!! Looks great although I now have to get used to the nice screen. I had the Verizon ones and I HATED it but of course now I am used to the matte feeling!! But I wont have any problem going back to a nice glass screen!

jtdiddy
07-29-2010, 04:16 PM
Yea the zagg gives off a rubbery feel on the phone and screen I returned mine and got the ultra crystal

I wonder how strong is the stock gorilla glass vs one of these protectors.

omnicious
07-30-2010, 03:58 PM
Just put my own. Wow much easier than the wet apply ones I used to use. I spent most of the time just making sure there wasn't dust on the screen before the put the thing on. Great product.

grdm
07-30-2010, 11:15 PM
the main issue with this is the lint. it's unavoidable unless you do the bathroom trick. the moisture/mist from the bathroom will limit the amount of lint in the air. the bubbles are no problems, it's just the lint that gets in there no matter how much you clean it out.

Mine came with "DUST REMOVAL STICKERS" did you guys not get those too? If you get any specs of lint or dust underneath, you lift up that part of the protector, with a pin if you have to, and then you use the DUST REMOVAL STICKERS to remove the particles underneath. I had about 4 and the stickers took every single one out.

Am I the only one who realized what they were for?

BOWIE
07-30-2010, 11:40 PM
Mine came with "DUST REMOVAL STICKERS" did you guys not get those too? If you get any specs of lint or dust underneath, you lift up that part of the protector, with a pin if you have to, and then you use the DUST REMOVAL STICKERS to remove the particles underneath. I had about 4 and the stickers took every single one out.

I got them too and used one. It seems to pull away the silicone layer so, I'd highly recommend avoiding getting dust on it in the first place, but use the sticker if you really need to.

thescreensavers
07-31-2010, 12:00 AM
Just curious, which ebay seller did you guys buy this protector from?

Think this is right? llol

SGP Steinheil CRYSTAL Screen Protector MOTOROLA Droid X - eBay (item 330455530450 end time Aug-26-10 12:06:20 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/SGP-Steinheil-CRYSTAL-Screen-Protector-MOTOROLA-Droid-X-/330455530450?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item4cf0af3bd2#ht_2059wt_911)

Looks like it

Yes all of them come with 4 dust removal stickers, 2 per protector, I had to use one as I was lucky and a piece of hair fell in lol

rolandct
08-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Just to add to anyone on the fence I've had the Ultra Crystal on for over a week and live it, just be very care on lining it up vertically to try and center it well so you don't even notice that it is a little short.
Not that it matters since I use the protector for my tastes, but I have had many other tell me they didn't even notice there was a screen protector even after I told them. Most importantly it preforms well.
As for fingerprints a quick light rub against your shirt/pants makes them pretty much disappear when the screen is on and barely noticble with it off. However if even the hint of fingerprints disturbs you to the point of frustration then you might want to skip this one. Or you can seek therapy. ;)

Captain Ramsey
08-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Is there any point to the full body screen or did most of you just purchase the front screen protectors?

I'm debating between the two. I'm reluctant to buy the full body ones because I can envision myself wanting an extended battery for the DX when they come out (I'd rather have a large obnoxious battery than a slim one that goes dead....) and I'd imagine the larger battery door wouldn't be supported by the full body set currently being sold.

rolandct
08-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Is there any point to the full body screen or did most of you just purchase the front screen protectors?

I'm debating between the two. I'm reluctant to buy the full body ones because I can envision myself wanting an extended battery for the DX when they come out (I'd rather have a large obnoxious battery than a slim one that goes dead....) and I'd imagine the larger battery door wouldn't be supported by the full body set currently being sold.

It'll probably still work on the official extended battery cover, but why risk it. I will say I have dropped my phone a couple times already including one big one that did nothing to the phone body. My old HTC Imagio would have definitely scratched or chipped on one of those. The screen is covered so nothing happened as I would expect.

droidXchick
08-02-2010, 07:45 PM
thanx so much for sharing the Ultra screen protector. As a new X owner, I found the Verizon protectors hard to keep clean which impacted on the clarity of the screen image. I'm ordering them NOW !!

phimuskapsi
08-03-2010, 01:36 AM
Just wanted to say that this screen protector is awesome. Got it after reading the review. Few notes on the installation.

When I started I misread what was being shown and took off the green protector and the back protector. Got it all fingerprinted and fuzzed up but soap and warm water actually cleaned it completely. So if that happens, don't throw it out! Let it dry.
Anyway. Once I got it clean, I popped it on pretty simply, and used the squeege they give you to get rid of all air bubbles. Looks amazing. Just like nothing is there.

Also wanted to comment on the feel of the protector. It feels slightly more resistant than the normal glass at first, but given a little time, I think it actually makes the touch more responsive. Maybe it's just a placebo effect.

hatchin
08-03-2010, 01:51 PM
I had the Verizon anti-glare protector and now this ultra crystal clear one and this one is way clearer and responds to your fingers better. Both protectors take away a small amount of clarity from the screen imo though.

ajc2892
08-03-2010, 04:56 PM
I just received my protector and I was very satisfied with the installation. I did the whole shower humidity trick and it worked ! No dust particles were on the screen when I was installing.

I'm very satisfied with it, it's like there's nothing even there. However, I do have complaint, it does feel a tad bite awkward using Swype now. My thumb doesn't slide as easily across the protector. It adds a little grip to it. Other than that it's great!

imronburgundy
08-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Wow, i think i win the idiot of the year award. So I tried the Steinheil when i first got the phone. Couldn't figure out how everyone elses did so good. I took off the 2 green sheets surrounding the outside and put it on. My screen protector kept looking like it had water underneath it. Used a zagg for a week or so, then finally figured out... duh, there's another clear piece you have to remove to apply the steinheil protector. What an idiot I felt like. On another note, this is truly the best screen protector i've ever used!

thescreensavers
08-03-2010, 07:44 PM
My Ultra Clear now has a battle wound :(

http://i37.tinypic.com/30ddrgj.jpg

ajc2892
08-04-2010, 01:05 AM
I must say, however, the screen does collect some sort of grease from fingers/ears. It won't clear well just using your t-shirt. Other than that it's very nice.

nojogray
08-04-2010, 12:39 PM
I got mine, put one on and loved it. Hands down the best I've ever used.

Unfortunately, my cat ruined the first one (don't ask) so I went to put on the second one. I squeegeed all of the bubbles out but noticed one speck of dust. So I pulled the dust remover stickers form the kit and tried those to no avail. I even tried scotch tape since it is stickier and it still will not get the speck out. I will try the soap and water trick mentioned earlier when I get home, but at this point I am at my wit's end. Does anyone else have a good suggestion out there?

nojogray
08-04-2010, 07:00 PM
It worked great! A little warm water and soap did the trick. I thought that the adhesive was gone it was fine. Thanks for the tip.

imronburgundy
08-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Does anyone know what to expect with wear and tear on these? Do they scratch easily? How soon will i have to switch out for the other supplied protector in the box? Its awesome though.

supahrob
08-08-2010, 12:38 AM
Just got mine - followed the steps here (shower, etc) and install went great. Mine is a little off center, but no biggie - the Body Glove case covers the edges so I can't really tell anyway. I was extremely happy to take off the junky Verizon one I had before :)

Take care,
Rob

meanstreak
08-09-2010, 09:14 PM
Just got mine - followed the steps here (shower, etc) and install went great. Mine is a little off center, but no biggie - the Body Glove case covers the edges so I can't really tell anyway. I was extremely happy to take off the junky Verizon one I had before :)

Take care,
Rob

Just got mine today but the first install had a few bubbles got most of them out and noticed that one was caused by dust which I removed but I kept fussing with the screen and it just got worse with each attempt. I put on the second one and it is flawless although I did have to get a piece of dust. It is perfect though I left some tiny space at the bottom. I prefer it that way as opposed to a gap at the top so that there was no chance of hitting up against the hard keys. My hard case covers the sides so it looks very neat and you really would not know I have a screen protector installed. I rinsed off the first screen with water and put the plastic back over it. If I ever need to install it I will wash it again and see if I can salvage it.

Oh and the touch response is perfect... possibly more to my liking actually.

jedge
08-11-2010, 12:52 AM
Just got mine today but the first install had a few bubbles got most of them out and noticed that one was caused by dust which I removed but I kept fussing with the screen and it just got worse with each attempt. I put on the second one and it is flawless although I did have to get a piece of dust. It is perfect though I left some tiny space at the bottom. I prefer it that way as opposed to a gap at the top so that there was no chance of hitting up against the hard keys. My hard case covers the sides so it looks very neat and you really would not know I have a screen protector installed. I rinsed off the first screen with water and put the plastic back over it. If I ever need to install it I will wash it again and see if I can salvage it.

Oh and the touch response is perfect... possibly more to my liking actually.

Got mine today.
Same thing, i had one tiny spot in the top left that wouldn't lay flat, tried to get it out and fussed with it and it got worse. The little stickers that come in the package to pick up dust/hair specs were a life-saver. If you need to lift the protector up a bit to get a spec, DON'T use your fingernail or the squeegee, use the sticker to peel it up! And remember that sometimes the crud isn't on the screen, it's on the bottom of the protector. So anytime i saw a tiny spec, i'd mark the spot and use the sticky tab on the screen then flip it and use on the protector bottom, then smooth it flat... worked every time.

AsterDroid
08-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Got mine today. Install was pretty simple and my only issue is a spec of lint up by the top but you cant notice it when the phone's on. Also it does attract a fair amount of lint but no biggie. I've kept the factory protector on since i took it out of the box so I never felt the screen naked, but boy does it feel sweet now. I'm so glad I read on hear before purchasing another protector.

hollovoid7
08-12-2010, 12:24 AM
Gotta add to it, I got this protector and its the best ive ever used on any phone. The first one I buggered up (and mind came with no dust removal stickers for some reason), but the second one went on flawlessly, and it not noticeable whatsoever. Fingers slide nice on it, but I dont have anything to compare it to really, I didnt even put the battery in the phone before I put the protector on when I got 2 weeks ago (hehe virgin screen).

thethickness
08-12-2010, 01:30 PM
So I was trying to clean my steinheil, and the static from lifting it caused a ton of dust to camp out under the protector. I tried the warm water trick, but now it looks worse. How do you dry the steinheil, without dust attracting or water spots.

Any suggestions?

movadoevo8
08-12-2010, 01:33 PM
I installed mine last week n can't even tell i have a screen protector.

jedge
08-12-2010, 01:51 PM
So I was trying to clean my steinheil, and the static from lifting it caused a ton of dust to camp out under the protector. I tried the warm water trick, but now it looks worse. How do you dry the steinheil, without dust attracting or water spots.

Any suggestions?

I followed the OP's advice and installed mine in the bathroom with the shower running on hot, the humidity should help control dust.

I would try cleaning it again in a very humid environment, then dry it off with a clean towel, then use the microfiber cloth to get any water spots and/or dust off. Then try installing it again.

So, i've had mine on for a couple days now and don't notice it at all. It's just as easy to touch-navigate, there's no perceptible thickness or ridge to the protector whatsoever, and it's still crystal clear from any viewing angle. Fingerprints are a bit harder to clean off, but i don't have any dust problems.
What i have noticed, is that i'm alot less paranoid about slipping it into a pants pocket or stowing it in my car armrest temporarily. I'm glad i bought it.

deadsolo
08-13-2010, 12:54 PM
Just installed mine. It was super easy and looks great, definitly recomend everyone get one.

thecta
08-13-2010, 01:11 PM
Ok...how much moolah will a pack of these cost me? Just curious. And where are most of you buying them?

Timmy
08-13-2010, 01:18 PM
Ok...how much moolah will a pack of these cost me? Just curious. And where are most of you buying them?

$13.99 +shipping for 2 screen protectors.

SGP Steinheil ULTRA CRYSTAL Screen Protector for MOTOROLA Droid X [Verizon] (http://www.sgpstore.com/product_info.php/cPath/21_67/products_id/1500)

EDIT: Just noticed they're currently out of stock.

pylex
08-13-2010, 07:31 PM

Thanks for pointing that out. I did not think that was their intended purpose.

pylex
08-13-2010, 07:44 PM
Just installed mine. Installation went fine. The material seems a bit too stiff and has a tendency to lift at the edges. It does not come off, it just does not stick well to the outer 1/4 mm of the screen. Under certain lighting conditions there is a slight color shift taking place. Certainly a good quality product. Not sure I would buy it again.

I will keep it on as long as it lasts (oh yes, there is the spare one as well), after that I will go bareback.

Update:
By the way, I made a slight modification to Garemlin's suggestion of installing it in the bathroom while having the hot water run. I took a hot, steamy shower prior to installation, did not want to waste precious water.

Another thing to note is that removing the adhesive backing from the screen protector too fast generates static electricity, which ends up attracting dust. Remove the backing nice and slow with the adhesive side down.

Hope this helps!

BeK
08-13-2010, 07:48 PM
I picked up some of these for my Droid X and my wife's Incredible. They look amazing, as if you have no screen protector on your phone at all. Super clear!

BOWIE
08-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Just installed mine. Installation went fine. The material seems a bit too stiff and has a tendency to lift at the edges. It does not come off, it just does not stick well to the outer 1/4 mm of the screen. Under certain lighting conditions there is a slight color shift taking place. Certainly a good quality product. Not sure I would buy it again.

I will keep it on as long as it lasts (oh yes, there is the spare one as well), after that I will go bareback.
I had this problem and ended up returning mine. Now that the screen is bare again, I realize just how visible the Steinheil really was. Going back to the naked screen is so much clearer and vivid. That's not a knock on Steinheil, just protectors in general. However, I want to protect it with something so I'm going to try a couple other brands.

Jaxidian
08-13-2010, 10:18 PM
By the way, I made a slight modification to Garemlin's suggestion of installing it in the bathroom while having the hot water run. I took a hot, steamy shower prior to installation, did not want to waste precious water.

I had my wife take a shower while I was applying mine. Other than being distracted by her hotness, it worked perfectly. Never had a single speck of dust!

knoll
08-14-2010, 02:53 AM
I first had the verizon screen protector just until I bought a better one, then I bought the anti-fingerprint from steinheil b/c Ultra Crystal was sold out. The anti-fingerprint one killed the screen resolution and what not. Then I applied the Ultra Crystal tonight and it is about 100% better, I can barely tell it is on there and my fingers run smoothly on it.

pylex
08-14-2010, 04:04 PM
Could not take the hazy/milky appearance it lent under sunlight conditions. Have gone completely unprotected.

Garemlin
08-14-2010, 07:31 PM
Just made an update to the OP. Had to take back my second X. The Steinheil went right back on number three as easily and as clean as the first. So one protector has now seen three phones.

Bobby
08-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Very nice review and pics, Im definitely gonna get this one after my phone gets replaced. I currently have the SKINOMI TECHSKIN but its trash... Feels like an orange peel, the installation is a mess and it doesnt work for crap! If I get a key right now and scratch it hard it would prob get all pudgy like when your bed is made and then u jump on it and the sheets get all wrinkled. Anyways, I wish I had bought this one instead of this trash I got. Ill do a comparison when I get mine and keep you guys updated but again, I wouldnt recommend skinomi to anyone.

Hoyt
08-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Thanks for all the info. I got mine ordered today. Still might put the cheap Verizon ones I have coming with the phones on until these get here. Phones should be here tomorrow by 3:00.

melinda1c
08-25-2010, 10:22 PM
Love this screen protector. Went on super easy and looks great can't even tell it's there. Much better that the generic walmart brand.

iDr0id
08-25-2010, 10:57 PM
Has anybody gotten the full body one? I really dislike wet apply, as it seems like a pain and i probably wouldnt do it right. Wondered if this one just stuck on

Crazy
09-05-2010, 11:38 PM
I just ordered mine... I got a few questions though.

1.) How long did it take you guys to get yours? (Mine is first class)
2.) How does this screen protector perform outside, especially in sunlight?
3.) It is bubble free/easy to remove bubbles? Because I've had a bad experience with Zagg's invisibleshield.

Thanks!

UnlikelySalsero
09-06-2010, 02:03 AM
I just ordered mine... I got a few questions though.

1.) How long did it take you guys to get yours? (Mine is first class)
2.) How does this screen protector perform outside, especially in sunlight?
3.) It is bubble free/easy to remove bubbles? Because I've had a bad experience with Zagg's invisibleshield.

Thanks!
I just replaced my Zagg with S ultra chrystal and it's an upgrade. Ordered on Thursday, arrived on Saturday.

Had to install mine twice because I had it too high first time. Second time I started at bottom (by buttons) and it is almost perfect. The slight ridge of the buttons provide an excellent guide.

Love the slide with Swype, smoother glide than with Zagg. Clearer too.

Was fine in car (sunny outside) but didn't pay attention to direct sunlight.

Highly recommended.

Synyster
09-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Is the anti finger print worth getting? I don't mind fingers prints that much, I can't really ever see them and its not hard to get rid of. But when I'm outside the its impossible to see my screen unless I have full brightness on.

UnlikelySalsero
09-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Is the anti finger print worth getting? I don't mind fingers prints that much, I can't really ever see them and its not hard to get rid of. But when I'm outside the its impossible to see my screen unless I have full brightness on.

I've had the Ultra Chrystal on for a few days now. It does show some prints when off, but not enough to notice when it's on and they are wiping off easily... Overall I really like it because it's so close to no protector from a visual standpoint.

I have read the anti-finger print version is not as clear, but since I haven't used it I can't provide direct feedback. I have no idea how the "anti-print" protectors do their job.

Ghostrecon
09-07-2010, 02:01 PM
I have this cover and a coworker of mine saw my Droid X for the first time and asked me if I was going to put a screen protector on it. lol It's such a great screen protector mine has no bubbles under it and looks just like a bare glass screen. I fully recommend this protector.

Cukies
09-08-2010, 10:57 PM
My zagg is making weird marks on the screen cover. Im going to get the SGP screen cover today.

psychotic_penguin
09-10-2010, 08:58 PM
After a couple of mishaps I finally got my Ultra Crystal on and it's absolutely perfect, thanks for the heads up this is by far the best screen protector I've ever had.

Captain Ramsey
09-12-2010, 08:28 PM
This product actually does it's job.

I dropped my Droid-X onto concrete today :( It dinged the heck out of the screen protector but nothing managed to penetrate it and damage the underlying glass.

I'll be ordering another one of these without hesitation.

Bobby
09-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Im looking for someone that wants to spare a new protector. We split the price or the other way around. PM me so we can work it out.

Droid X Does... sometimes
09-15-2010, 03:03 PM
Why 3 phones? We have non charging issues and hot blue and red pixels when using camera and video. So waiting for phones to arrive. Interested in ur problem phones? If u don't mind. Thx for the review, but are they anti glare too? I can't see how they would be, how is the out in the sun use win these things? Are there any out here which help with the crappy glare outside in the sun? Thx a bunch.

AndroidScott
09-15-2010, 03:38 PM
What are thoughts on the full-body skin that includes the ultra clear screen protector? Is it protective enough to go naked otherwise or is it more-or-less pointless?

The "full body" skin from Zagg is a joke. It's made up of a bunch of separate pieces that you stick on various parts of the phone. Looked ridiculous. Once I had it installed, I couldn't wait to take it off. Returned it to Zagg for a refund.

AndroidScott
09-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Wow, i think i win the idiot of the year award. So I tried the Steinheil when i first got the phone. Couldn't figure out how everyone elses did so good. I took off the 2 green sheets surrounding the outside and put it on. My screen protector kept looking like it had water underneath it. Used a zagg for a week or so, then finally figured out... duh, there's another clear piece you have to remove to apply the steinheil protector.

First a question, and then some comments.

Maybe I get second prize in the "Idiot of the Year" contest, but I can't seem to figure out if my Ultra Crystal Clear protector has a protective cover on it that gets peeled off after installation. It doesn't appear to have one, and the instructions don't mention anything about peeling another layer off after installation. There was only a tab to peel the backing...no tab for a secondary layer. And, the protector looks GREAT as is, with no bluish tint or distortion whatsoever. I've tried using my fingernail along the edge to see if another layer will peel off, but nothing comes off and I don't want to "bugger" the edge of the protector. I've even tried to see if there was a secondary film on the other protector shipped in my kit. It sure doesn't seem like there is. So, can anyone confirm for me that the recently shipped (September, 2010) Ultra Clear protectors have the secondary film that has to be removed?

Now a comment or two. I had a Zagg screen protector. Hated it from the minute I installed it. Waited a day or two, and finally pulled it off and returned it. I then ordered the SGP Ultra Clear. Installation was a breeze. The shower method worked great (except my glasses started to steam up!). No lint or dust whatsoever. The fit is perfect. Unless you study the screen, you can't tell there is a screen protector on it!

So, if someone can help me out with my question about the secondary film, I'd appreciate it. Thanks all!

EDIT: The answer to my question may be at this link. It was posted by SGP on YouTube about three days ago. It's for a <cough>iPhone</cough>, but there does not appear to be a secondary film, at least in this video. Watch the video carefully, as the installation of the Ultra Clear screen protector is just part of what's going on. I'd appreciate hearing the opinions of others, though. http://tinyurl.com/2devwhh

AirJordan
11-05-2010, 04:04 PM
I messed up my installation pretty bad. There is a lot of dust underneath the protector, the only option I have is to wash it, as mentioned earlier in this thread. Could anyone explain how to do this? Do I mix hot water and soap into a bowl and soak the screen protector in it? Any help is appreciated

pimpannara
11-15-2010, 07:12 PM
how does this product do against fingerprints? debating between getting the antifingerprint or ultra crystal right now...

yoyoche
11-17-2010, 10:07 PM
Do what I did get 1 of each.

eaglescout1998
11-19-2010, 01:38 AM
I ordered the Ultra Clear and botched the installation twice. In spite of all of my efforts, I could not get rid of the bubbles.

Frustrated, I took the phone to Best Buy and put on the Zagg. The feel is no different than the Verizon protector. I can live with orange peel.

drummer
11-19-2010, 11:45 AM
They used to have two tabs but I believe they got rid of the surface protection later. I found this frustrating when I ordered more so I returned them. I don't know why they would remove the layer and extra tab, it made it easier to put it on cleaner. They also never changed the packaging instructions so it is very misleading

bd1212
11-27-2010, 05:49 AM
Ordered this yesterday on Amazon along with an Incipio case, hoping they'll both be here by Wednesday the latest.

I could not for the life of me, figure out how to order this screen protector via the direct site. I'd add it to my cart, fill out the info, click on "Get Quote" and then it'd show the shipping stuff and whatnot. Now here's where I got confused. There was no checkout, proceed to checkout, place my order or any button referring to checking out and placing my order, so I had to use Amazon instead.

Can anyone explain to me how I should go about ordering directly from the SGP Store?

Also, I've shopped online hundreds of thousands of times and never had an issue with any website... Except now. So yeah, can someone please explain?

Thanks.

Now, back on topic. I can't wait to receive this case... This paired with an Incipio Silicrylic case will be the ultimate protection package. Anyone else rocking their DX with this screen protector and Incipio Silicrylic combo?

Also, OP, your links to the pics are broken and aren't displaying anything. Please fix. ;)

pat3ck
11-28-2010, 08:26 AM
I plan on getting a screen protector for my Droid X and my brother likes his SGP Steinheil screen protector for his iPhone, so I might take the same route.

bd1212
11-29-2010, 07:08 AM
Ordered this yesterday on Amazon along with an Incipio case, hoping they'll both be here by Wednesday the latest.

I could not for the life of me, figure out how to order this screen protector via the direct site. I'd add it to my cart, fill out the info, click on "Get Quote" and then it'd show the shipping stuff and whatnot. Now here's where I got confused. There was no checkout, proceed to checkout, place my order or any button referring to checking out and placing my order, so I had to use Amazon instead.

Can anyone explain to me how I should go about ordering directly from the SGP Store?

Also, I've shopped online hundreds of thousands of times and never had an issue with any website... Except now. So yeah, can someone please explain?

Thanks.

Now, back on topic. I can't wait to receive this case... This paired with an Incipio Silicrylic case will be the ultimate protection package. Anyone else rocking their DX with this screen protector and Incipio Silicrylic combo?

Also, OP, your links to the pics are broken and aren't displaying anything. Please fix. ;)

Bump. Can someone please answer my question? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

johnbom
12-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Bump. Can someone please answer my question? Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't order directly from their website, at least not for a little bit. They've transitioned to a new platform, and are having some issues. Your problem seems to have been fixed if you read their FB page.

I had a problem with my account not appearing on the site after my order. Growing pains, I'm sure...

They do not ship same day, so if you have ordered from them or will, keep your expectations low.

I have received mine, but wasn't too confident with the ordering process.

joeyjackpot
12-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Thank god this came with two - I ruined the first one because i thought the protector was the film and the film was the protector - but when i got the second one on - OH MY F-CKING GOD! This is amazing! my screen is clear!

I had no real idea of how TERRIBLE the ones at verizon are - both size and blur factor - but I look at my phone now and i'm AMAZED every time. Highly recommended! I bought off ebay for $13 free ship got here in like 3 days.

silv3rskeeter
12-03-2010, 11:52 AM
i have the incipio silicrylic case combo with the steinheil ultra crystal screen protector, works perfectly together. the screen protector is amazing but its not 100% scratch proof, i somehow got a tiny hair mark on mine already, not sure how but it must have been sharp. there havent been any scratches ever since then. im not sure if i should install the 2nd protector yet or to wait for more scratches which isnt likely to happen.

bd1212
12-05-2010, 01:34 PM
I'd wait for more scratches. Wait for a couple more scratches to appear and then you should replace it with the second screen protector.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

Ultra Droid
02-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Just arrived in the mail today. I must say I am really impressed with how fast it shipped considering it was just released on July 14th.

Package contents:
It comes with two screen protectors. That is it and that is all you need. It came packaged in a large envelope and sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard.

Installation:
Installation was a snap. Took a total of five minutes from package open to install complete. I installed mine in the bathroom with the shower running on hot to create a humid environment. This helps keep dust down. I cleaned my screen with a microfiber cloth and a few squirts of eyeglass cleaner. After that I cleaned it again. That is just the OCD in me. I laid the protector down on the screen to make sure it fit and to see what alignment would be before removing the protective film. Peeled part of the back film away and aligned it with the top and slowly applied it downward using a credit card to smooth it as I went. When application was done I used the credit card to smooth out the edges. Then I peeled the top protective layer off. Finished!!!

Results:
I must say that I am extremely impressed with these protectors. I have a regular Steinheil on my Droid and it was cut just very slightly big so it never laid flat on one corner. Not the case here. There is only a very slight gap at the top and bottom. When I say slight I mean hairline. Unless you look really close you can't even tell that a protector is installed. There are zero bubbles or raising. Clarity is unaffected. Touch is just slightly less smooth than bare glass but nothing that affects performance. And nowhere near anything like you get from went apply films.

Conclusion:
I highly recommend. Get over to SGP Store and order one now.

SGPStore.com (http://www.sgpstore.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=droid+x&x=0&y=0)

EDIT:

Removal and Reinstallation:
Well the situation came up that I had to return my X for a new one. I know the regular Steinheil could be carefully removed and reapplied so I figured the same would apply for the Ultras. Well that is actually the case. Removed it from the first one and it went on the new one with zero issues. Just like it was a brand new protector.

This is what I did:
-Took a piece of scotch tape and ran it across the very bottom edge of the protector when looking at it in portrait mode. I left a tiny bit of overhang. I then too another piece and ran it straight down the middle of the protector from top to bottom leave about an inch overhang. Be sure to use good Scotch brand tape. Not that gummy generic junk. Then I gently pulled the top piece of tape back pulling the protector with it. Comes off with zero issues or residue. It was going to be sitting out for a few hours so I put it in a tupperware container with the lid on to prevent any dust. Then when I got home with the new phone I just held both ends of the tape and lined the protector up with the top edge and slowly laid it back down on the screen. I used a business card to smooth out any bubble as opposed to using a credit card which may scratch the protector. That is it. Good as new.

UPDATE:

Well I had to take back phone number two so obviously the Steinheil had to come off. Went back on phone number three just like it was brand new.

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/members/garemlin-albums-mics-pics-picture205-dscn0526.jpg

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/members/garemlin-albums-mics-pics-picture207-dscn0528.jpg

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/members/garemlin-albums-mics-pics-picture206-dscn0535.jpg

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/members/garemlin-albums-mics-pics-picture204-dscn0530.jpg

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/members/garemlin-albums-mics-pics-picture203-dscn0534.jpg

Wow! You certainly got your money's worth out of that investment. :big smile:

-Mike

Garemlin
02-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Wow! You certainly got your money's worth out of that investment. :big smile:

-Mike

And then some. I didn't bother posting because it was becoming redundant, but I actually had to get a fourth X. Went right on that one too. LOL