PDA

View Full Version : Best DVD/Video Head Unit for Bluetooth Streaming (A2DP)

msu50000
09-22-2010, 05:11 PM
Just got my new droid X last week and I love the phone. My current vehicle has an aux input and it sounds great when listening to mp3s from my phone. I'd like to know though if anyone has any idea of a good video head unit for the car that has Bluetooth streaming capabilities? I've tried to search and only came up with a couple options. I don't really need the navigation option as I'm not a fan of Kenwood's, Alpine's or Pioneer's nav software, I'm not looking to spend $1k or anything as I've seen some video head units for the $300-$500 range online that do everything I would need, just not with the A2DP protocol for BT. Any input is greatly appreciated.

tracey
09-24-2010, 08:02 AM
Just look on Crutchfield's website. You can choose the features you want to narrow it down by on the left hand side. The $420 Pioneer one does not have A2DP appparently, just FYI. It looks like the Clarion ones do. The Kenwood probably does but it is over $500. There is also a JVC one. I will say I have the JVC xr810 which I bought from Crutchfield and it has included bluetooth. I stream Pandora and mp3s through bluetooth with it, and since the 2.2 update it will also display track info on the head unit. You can skip and pause using the head unit as well. But just know the avrcp 1.3 controls don't seem to be supported by the droid X. I have read somewhere that the X has avrcp 1.3 (which my JVC supports), but I have paired my phone with just about every bluetooth cd player that I see and I have yet to find one that will work with those controls (that would be selecting folder/group, setting random and repeat). So to do that stuff you'd have to actually use the phone itself. Pretty easy for me since I use a car dock.

msu50000
10-01-2010, 01:06 AM
Thanks for the info Tracey, I appreciate it. I like the JVC unit you have. I've been using my Nav on the X over the past week and I'm not to thrilled with it, I might consider going up in price for the right unit at this point. I just like to have no wires anywhere in the car if I can help it.

droidlicous
10-06-2010, 06:50 AM
What do you not like about the Google navigation? Just curious

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

iDr0id
10-06-2010, 07:17 AM
Find what you.want on crutchfield then google it foe the best price

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

msu50000
10-07-2010, 05:49 AM
Droidliscious, I work for an oil company and am constantly traveling. Most of the places I go don't have addresses, usually just an intersection in the middle of nowhere with directions from there. On my TomTom and Garmin nav units I can quickly and easily save my current location and name it, for instance some of the rigs I stop at I will save the location on the main road where the dirt road that leads to the road meets it. Usually the dirt road isn't even on the map. With the X, I can't do that or at least I haven't figured out how to do it without adding a contact. Which while driving is not ideal. It's just not convenient with one or two presses to add a location with the X.