PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Recovery Service launched by Verizon

Ack
09-16-2010, 02:42 PM
http://static.droidnetwork.net/ack/dxf/verizon.gif

Starting today Verizon has just launched it’s new Mobile Recovery service for smartphones. The service provides such features as: locate phone using GPS, sound alarms, file a claim, remote lock, and remote wipe. The service is free for TEC (Total Equipment Coverage) subscribers and will work on Android, Blackberry, Windows Mobile, and webOS devices. TEC subscribers can go to www.mymobilerecovery.com (http://www.mymobilerecovery.com) to download the mobile recovery application or text “getmr” to 6967 for instructions on how to download the application. Still no word yet on if non-TEC customers can apply for the Mobile Recovery service.

DebianDog
09-16-2010, 03:09 PM
opps never mind

didiwags
09-16-2010, 03:16 PM
He says it is free for those with TEC!!!

Green
09-16-2010, 03:21 PM
He says it is free for those with TEC!!!

It's not free, it's included.

psychotic_penguin
09-16-2010, 03:23 PM
Unrecognized device please try again later.....bah

didiwags
09-16-2010, 03:30 PM
Unrecognized device please try again later.....bah

That sucks, I was able to DL no problem!!

psychotic_penguin
09-16-2010, 03:54 PM
Downloaded fine just got that message during setup, on my DX

yurdle
09-16-2010, 04:04 PM
think the message is because of froyo.... do you have froyo installed?

panchonb
09-16-2010, 04:21 PM
think the message is because of froyo.... do you have froyo installed?

I have Froyo installed and the message about not "supported device" appeared for me. I was wondering if that leak was causing it.
Anyone with Froyo gotten it to work?

psychotic_penguin
09-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Indeed I do, didn't even occur to me that it might not recognize the phone fingerprint, thanks.

CrashF16
09-16-2010, 04:27 PM
I got mine, and it seems to work w/GPS position and alarm.

My question...does this program make the phone report GPS position to the program server every 30 minutes (if that's the time frame you select in setup), or does it only do that once you have started to look for it via your computer?

GrillMouster
09-16-2010, 04:31 PM
It doesn't wipe all data & sd. It only wipes contacts. Boo.

cwrig
09-16-2010, 06:02 PM
I got mine, and it seems to work w/GPS position and alarm.

My question...does this program make the phone report GPS position to the program server every 30 minutes (if that's the time frame you select in setup), or does it only do that once you have started to look for it via your computer?

In your preferences on the phone app you can set the location options to different intervals. The default is 30 minutes. I suspect that would be a prtty sigificant drain on the battery to fire of gps every 30 minutes. I chnaged mine to an hour to see what effect it hason battery.

I tested the location service and alarm service and both worked as advertised.

The app on the phone though is completly not secure. Anyone who finds your phone could turn the GPS function off in the app. It is nto even pw protected.

droidlicous
09-18-2010, 09:31 AM
In your preferences on the phone app you can set the location options to different intervals. The default is 30 minutes. I suspect that would be a prtty sigificant drain on the battery to fire of gps every 30 minutes. I chnaged mine to an hour to see what effect it hason battery.

I tested the location service and alarm service and both worked as advertised.

The app on the phone though is completly not secure. Anyone who finds your phone could turn the GPS function off in the app. It is nto even pw protected.
Good Point.... Need a password protection in the next update. Since you install this not through Market we wont know when an update is due.

Bellringa
09-19-2010, 11:25 AM
I try to download but says error when starts to download. Anyone know how to fix this?

kenshin304
09-20-2010, 09:23 AM
Must be in response to HTC and there new service.

FunkUSMCRet
09-20-2010, 10:19 AM
http://static.droidnetwork.net/ack/dxf/verizon.gif

Starting today Verizon has just launched it’s new Mobile Recovery service for smartphones. The service provides such features as: locate phone using GPS, sound alarms, file a claim, remote lock, and remote wipe. The service is free for TEC (Total Equipment Coverage) subscribers and will work on Android, Blackberry, Windows Mobile, and webOS devices. TEC subscribers can go to www.mymobilerecovery.com (http://www.mymobilerecovery.com) to download the mobile recovery application or text “getmr” to 6967 for instructions on how to download the application. Still no word yet on if non-TEC customers can apply for the Mobile Recovery service.

Great find, thanks... take that back... unrecognized device. LOL, bet it's b/c I'm rooted and on 2.2. Going to try on my son's phone.

UPDATE: Read the entire thread, duh I'm a moron.
UPDATE II: Works as stated on my son's phone. Now I have more than one way of keeping tabs on his whereabouts. :)

fasthair
09-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Great idea but bad planning. Works as it says it does. But as others have stated it doesn’t wipe the whole phone. Plus if the GPS is off it cannot and will not doing anything to protect your phone. The app should have the ability to turn the GPS on if it is off via Verizon but it can’t. So If you don’t get to the service before the thief who stole it plays with it you are most likely SOL. The app also needs to be password protected and work in stealth mode so someone can’t see it working or disabled it.

At least it is free and does have a bit of value if you don’t run into these limits. For that reason I have choose to leave it on my phone not sure why since I have my GPS off most of the time to save battery power. The jury is still out if I will leave it on the phone.

Come on Big Red fix these flaws and you will have a first class recovery/protection service.

fasthair

CBGOODMAN200A
09-20-2010, 08:48 PM
It uses significant battery, even with the location check set to its longest (which is only 60 minutes). I think its because it is firing up the gps each time.

ionorick
09-21-2010, 01:43 PM
how can you check if you have the tec or not?

B360155
09-21-2010, 01:51 PM
It's the Total Equipment Coverage. Look on your monthly bill. On page 3 under "Charges", you should see an entry for "TEC Advanced Devices - Asurion..." @ $7.99 per month if you have TEC.

CBGOODMAN200A
09-21-2010, 04:18 PM
And for the third time, that I have noticed, my phone has restarted durring the scheduled location check. Great.

psychotic_penguin
09-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Got mine to work today, with 2.3.15 installed, the fingerprint shows it as a Droid 2, but i imagine with the OTA coming tomorrow alot of the build.props are gonna change and fix this potential issue.

WingRider
09-27-2010, 09:55 AM
This whole process is poor on Asurion's part and Verizon passes the buck as it's 'third party'.
9 days after activation of the TEC, I finally get a text message with a link to download the Mobile Recovery Application. But the text mentioned nothing about what it was or who it was from (Asurion). This being totally new to me, I guessed it was related to the TEC program, but when the link downloaded the app and failed to install because it was blocked because it was outside of the "Market", I became suspicious.

The link should have went to the MobileRecovery website where it would have been more understood as to what was going on, not to mention it contains the instructions and notes about why and what you have to do to allow the installation to succeed.
Since it failed, I went to their forum looking for answers only to find others with the same scenario, so I started calls with Verizon and ended up at Asurion. When I called Asurion, their phone menu system only provided a option that ended up with me talking to someone in claims that was rude. When I finally talked to someone that knew about the issue, the response was that they are aware of it and hopefully will release a fix this week. I asked 'how will I know when it's fixed?" She didn't know, I asked if they will send some type of notification? again, didn't know. I should just retry the process this week until it works.

I suspect as others that it's related to the Froyo update, but why hasn't Asurion posted the info somewhere as to the status of the problem and the fix?
Just really poor deployment of a service in my opinion.

jetfixer
09-27-2010, 02:50 PM
Not too sure of the reliability of this service. The other night it had my phone located in West Virginia while I was holding it in South Carolina. That would be a large area to try to find it in!

mmw68666
09-29-2010, 05:40 PM
I have official froyo and it worked like a charm for me

mmw68666
09-29-2010, 05:41 PM
It showed me as the droid x

mmw68666
10-09-2010, 09:38 PM
i got it with no problem

WingRider
10-10-2010, 09:16 AM
They got it fixed around 10-7 or 10-8 if I remember