PDA

View Full Version : First impressions of the Seidio Rugged case (text only)

Reaver74
09-16-2010, 07:45 AM
I received my Seidio rugged case yesterday (while away on a business trip) and just installed it. **EDIT** Pictures posted below...

My first impressions are mixed. The rugged setup is a combination of the Surface case and the "rugged" overlay and exoskeleton. Good for protection, but VERY bulky. The combination of the two cases leaves a 5 millimeter (almost .200") lip around the screen...in other words, the screen is recessed almost a quarter-inch below the face of the case. As you can imagine, it makes it pretty difficult to reach the buttons and outer edges of the screen. The buttons themselves are uncovered (good if you like to be able to see them when illuminated, bad if you want them covered/protected), but are recessed enough that it would be unlikely any damage could occur. The screen would most likely be impacted well before the buttons would.

The case is well made and fits fairly well, especially the Surface case. The silicone portion of the Rugged case fits well, but the exoskeleton (which is a plastic piece that clips over the corners and sides of the case) doesn't quite seat properly on the lower left corner. I'll chalk that up to user error, as I'm sure I could finagle it into place.

The camera cover flap pins back as promised, and looks to be fairly effective for covering the camera lens.

Button access for volume and camera shutter is adequate, especially if you know where they are from use. There is a small, raised, elongated-oval shape over the buttons to let you know where they are otherwise. The tactile feel is good, and there is no doubt that the buttons are being pressed.

The holster is a vertical-type that secures the phone at the bottom, with a large (almost comically so) hook that secures it over the top of the phone. The hook does have a sliding lock on the back side that will prevent it from being released accidentally, but it is a bit difficult to access the lock while the phone is on your side.

Summary:

Pros - Good protection, multiple layers give you options for amount of protection desired, very good holster and retention system

Cons - VERY bulky, case makes full phone access difficult

Grade - B+ This would be a great case without the 1/4 inch recess, which makes using the phone more difficult than it should be.

http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af297/lknissel/Seidio/SeidioRuggedComponents.jpg
http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af297/lknissel/Seidio/SeidioRuggedHolster.jpg
http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af297/lknissel/Seidio/SeidioRuggedDepth2.jpg
http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af297/lknissel/Seidio/Rugged-phonecomparison.jpg
http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af297/lknissel/Seidio/rugged-phoneside.jpg

psychotic_penguin
09-16-2010, 09:26 AM
Nice review, do you have the means to ost some pictures?

Reaver74
09-16-2010, 10:41 AM
Nice review, do you have the means to ost some pictures?

Thanks! Pictures have been added (sorry for the quality - some are a bit dark).

zoomdroid
09-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Thanks for reviewing! BTW, do you have an extended battery? I wanted to know if anyone tried installing the extended battery and door on their X and putting it into this case. I was thinking of modifying the case by cutting out the surface case to fit the battery since it will have the protection of the rugged case. Has anyone tried this yet?

Also, Would you mind taking a picture of the naked phone in your hand along with a similar one in the case. This would give us a visual on how much larger the phone is in our hands with the case on. Thanks!

Reaver74
09-16-2010, 03:34 PM
Thanks for reviewing! BTW, do you have an extended battery? I wanted to know if anyone tried installing the extended battery and door on their X and putting it into this case. I was thinking of modifying the case by cutting out the surface case to fit the battery since it will have the protection of the rugged case. Has anyone tried this yet?

Also, Would you mind taking a picture of the naked phone in your hand along with a similar one in the case. This would give us a visual on how much larger the phone is in our hands with the case on. Thanks!

I don't have an extended battery, but I can tell you there is no room to spare with the Surface case underneath. When I originally put the case on, the exoskeleton didn't fit quite right in the corner. When I took it back off, I noticed the surface wasn't quite seated all the way; there was about a half-millimeter gap in the corner. It latched with a little wiggling, but I don't see how an extended battery/cover would fit. It's feasible to remove part of the back of the surface case, especially since the exoskeleton will cover that portion of the phone, in addition to the thick silicone cover that fits over top of the surface case.

Honestly, I've repackaged the case for possible shipment back to Seidio, so I won't be able to get any more pictures. The last two pictures are side-by-side shots of the case next to the phone. The very last shot speaks volumes on how much thickness the Rugged case adds to the phone. You're basically adding about a quarter-inch plus in every direction.

Why am I sending it back? The lip the case leaves around the screen is unacceptable to me. It makes the buttons hard to reach; the case itself is close to the buttons, and the lip makes it feel like you're curling your fingers underneath the silicone to press them. In addition, trying to select emails in the gmail window (the checkboxes on the left side of the screen) is tough to do with the Seidio case on. You can't get quite close enough to the edge, and it keeps selecting the email rather than the checkbox. It's a great case for it's intent, but I don't see myself staying with this one...it's just a bit too much.

KevenW
09-16-2010, 05:08 PM
come on otterbox!! now they need to get on the ball and get it out so we can see a review and make our decision on which to get!

PA452
09-16-2010, 05:58 PM
The problems you're having contacting the edge of the screen and the buttons, is that only with the rugged portion of the case on? Or with the Surface too?

PA452
09-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Mine should probably arrive tomorrow. I hope I find it a little more reasonable, because I'm tired of dealing with cases. I had a feeling though that the rugged case was going to be a bit much to stick in my pocket.

Bottom line though, it's a big phone. Thin, but it's a big area. I guess most any rugged case is going to be extremely bulky.

zoomdroid
09-17-2010, 02:37 AM
I don't have an extended battery, but I can tell you there is no room to spare with the Surface case underneath. When I originally put the case on, the exoskeleton didn't fit quite right in the corner. When I took it back off, I noticed the surface wasn't quite seated all the way; there was about a half-millimeter gap in the corner. It latched with a little wiggling, but I don't see how an extended battery/cover would fit. It's feasible to remove part of the back of the surface case, especially since the exoskeleton will cover that portion of the phone, in addition to the thick silicone cover that fits over top of the surface case.

Honestly, I've repackaged the case for possible shipment back to Seidio, so I won't be able to get any more pictures. The last two pictures are side-by-side shots of the case next to the phone. The very last shot speaks volumes on how much thickness the Rugged case adds to the phone. You're basically adding about a quarter-inch plus in every direction.

Why am I sending it back? The lip the case leaves around the screen is unacceptable to me. It makes the buttons hard to reach; the case itself is close to the buttons, and the lip makes it feel like you're curling your fingers underneath the silicone to press them. In addition, trying to select emails in the gmail window (the checkboxes on the left side of the screen) is tough to do with the Seidio case on. You can't get quite close enough to the edge, and it keeps selecting the email rather than the checkbox. It's a great case for it's intent, but I don't see myself staying with this one...it's just a bit too much.
No problem, from your description, sounds like I am waiting for the otterbox. Thanks again!

Breezer23
09-17-2010, 03:06 AM
It looks a bit ridiculous to be honest with you. I just bought the Innocase from Best Buy and it is fantastic! Case is built like a rock and the feel of the Innocase surface is quite cool. It sounds like Seidio in general has issues with building too close to the screen's edges - Innocase is a bit too close.

Reaver74
09-17-2010, 08:02 AM
The problems you're having contacting the edge of the screen and the buttons, is that only with the rugged portion of the case on? Or with the Surface too?

Just with the rugged, really. The surface does leave a bit of a lip (maybe a millimeter or two), but not that much. The problem I have with the Rugged is that it's the thickness of the surface case PLUS the thickness of the rugged case. If they had made a rugged standalone, it would probably be reasonable. It really is a great case, I just can't deal with how awkward the phone is with the case.

Reaver74
09-17-2010, 08:09 AM
Mine should probably arrive tomorrow. I hope I find it a little more reasonable, because I'm tired of dealing with cases. I had a feeling though that the rugged case was going to be a bit much to stick in my pocket.

Bottom line though, it's a big phone. Thin, but it's a big area. I guess most any rugged case is going to be extremely bulky.

The rugged is NOT a pocketable case, in my opinion. It's silicone (so it's "tacky" to most surfaces), and it's BIG. If you look at the last picture, the case is uniform thickness all the way down. Keeping in mind that the cases add about 1/4-inch all around, that means that there is a quarter-inch added to the camera bump, and the rest of the case maintains that thickness down to the bottom of the phone (more or less). It really makes the phone feel huge. To be honest, when I had the holster on, I felt like I had a laptop strapped to my side...kind of ridiculous-feeling.

Reaver74
09-17-2010, 08:17 AM
It looks a bit ridiculous to be honest with you. I just bought the Innocase from Best Buy and it is fantastic! Case is built like a rock and the feel of the Innocase surface is quite cool. It sounds like Seidio in general has issues with building too close to the screen's edges - Innocase is a bit too close.

I agree...the Innocase Surface portion fits very well. I don't think it's so much an issue with the case being too close to the screen, they just need to bevel the edges a bit to make it more accessible. If you absolutely need the heavy-duty protection, it's worth it. It's just a little much for my needs.

Reaver74
09-17-2010, 08:21 AM
No problem, from your description, sounds like I am waiting for the otterbox. Thanks again!

I contacted Otterbox to see how much of a lip (or how depressed) the screen area is, and their response was "Maybe a millimeter or two", which I think would be reasonable. Judging from the pictures on their site, the case looks to be beveled around the screen, which would allow your finger to access the edges of the screen much more easily. Plus, the buttons are covered by the case, so accessing them should be easier, too.

PA452
09-17-2010, 10:37 AM
I wonder if the Otterbox would be pocketable.

I'm starting to think maybe I should have waited for the Seidio Active. I assume that would add slightly more protection than the rugged, but still be fairly thin and pocketable.

Reaver74
09-17-2010, 11:54 AM

I'm starting to think maybe I should have waited for the Seidio Active. I assume that would add slightly more protection than the rugged, but still be fairly thin and pocketable.

The Rugged is the highest amount of protection, followed by the Active and then the Surface. In comparison terms (Seidio/Otterbox) it goes Rugged/Defender, Active/Commuter, Surface/Impact from greatest to least protection.

I'm thinking the Seidio Active is the ticket. It doesn't look like Otterbox is going to offer a holster for the Commuter series, just the Defender. I don't know if I want that much extra bulk from the Defender just for a holster, and I really dislike Otterbox's built-in screen protector. What we really need is a best-practice combination of the two!

Lee27519
09-17-2010, 01:58 PM

If their case for the Droid X is like their case for the Blackberries, then the Commuter case was pocketable for the Storm. There's no way the Defender case is pocketable unless you're wearing cargo pants or some equivalent.

From the description by the OP, the Seidio Rugged seems comparable to the Otterbox Defender.

Keep in mind, these cases are built with protection in mind, not convenience.

PA452
09-17-2010, 02:16 PM
I just got my Seidio Rugged a moment ago. I haven't even pulled it apart yet to put it on my phone. But right from the start, I'm happy to see that I think the Rugged being too big for a pocket is a highly subjective opinion.

First thing I did was take the holster off and stick the whole thing in my pocket. Honestly, it feels fine to me. Now, I do wear relaxed fit jeans.

Next thing I guess I'm about to find out is just how bad having that lip is going to be for working at the edge of the screen.

Reaver74
09-17-2010, 03:21 PM
I just got my Seidio Rugged a moment ago. I haven't even pulled it apart yet to put it on my phone. But right from the start, I'm happy to see that I think the Rugged being too big for a pocket is a highly subjective opinion.

First thing I did was take the holster off and stick the whole thing in my pocket. Honestly, it feels fine to me. Now, I do wear relaxed fit jeans.

Next thing I guess I'm about to find out is just how bad having that lip is going to be for working at the edge of the screen.

You're right..."pocketable" is definitely subjective. It would fit in the pocket of my dress slacks, but not in a pair of my jeans. It's all in how tight or loose your clothing is; cargo shorts wouldn't be a problem at all, but a pair of 501s would look like the "Sticky Fingers" album cover. ;)

I'm glad that part works out for you...let me know your thoughts on the button/screen access with the case on. I'm interested in hearing someone else's take on it...

PA452
09-17-2010, 05:52 PM
Well, it definitely is big with the rugged case on. It's still pocketable, but it looks and feels massive. I'll still probably leave the rugged part on for a while and see if I get used to it.

As said, the buttons that are covered by the rugged case still work extremely well. I'm personally not having an issue getting to the edge of the screen. I used the check boxes on Gmail as a test since that was specifically mentioned as an issue. I had no problem at all clearly hitting those check boxes. If something else was really close to the edge, I can see it being a problem, but I don't think I've ever seen a control so close to the edge.

The one thing I have to agree with is that pushing the physical buttons at the bottom is a bit awkward with the rugged case on. At least I can't use the motion I used to always use, by reaching from the bottom. It's not a big deal though. I have a feeling I'll get used to it very quickly.

Surface only:

Rugged addition:

PA452
09-17-2010, 06:03 PM
I just realized one other disadvantage to the rugged case. I can't see the green indicator LED from a distance anymore unless I'm lined up with the slot in the case at the top.

PA452
09-17-2010, 06:18 PM
I also must admit I feel like I'm holding a big box up to my head when making a call. But the DX felt pretty big even with no case to me.

PA452
09-17-2010, 11:33 PM
After having it in the rugged case all night, I've discovered that pulling down the alert screen I do have to pay a little more attention. A couple times I went to quickly, casually pull down the alert screen and I didn't get it because my finger hit that lip of the case.

It's not a problem to pull it down, I only had the issue because I did it fast and wasn't used to the new case yet though.

ricepuddin
09-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Cons:
1) Lip makes it a P.I.T.A. to drop the notification bar
2) It's not MOLLE compatible
3) when on my Duty belt and Civilian belt the top of the clip digs into my side and i have to move it close to my stomach so it doesn't dig.

Pros:
1) I have dropped it 5 times, onces in the engine bay of my car. Not a scratch
2) I forget the screen protector is there and it stays pretty clean
3) I like the tough look of it
4) camera cover has kept oil and other fluids off.

Bottom line: if you want a case to make your X look pretty, your probably looking in the wrong place. If you want a durable case that allows you to beat the hell out of your phone with out a worry well then here it is ( at least until the Otter comes out, then we will see)

PA452
09-21-2010, 10:57 AM
About the screen protector that comes with it...

I used to use the Verizon anti-glare SP. I really liked it except that it only covered the part of the screen that is used. It left the border unprotected. I thought that was stupid. So when I got the new one from Seidio, I was very happy to see it was cut precisely to fit the entire face of the phone. I still like that, but now I'm learning just how nice that anti-glare surface was. This one has noticeably more glare, and it also takes on fingerprints and smudges much, much easier than the first one I used.

kb51
10-01-2010, 02:59 AM
The rugged is NOT a pocketable case, in my opinion. It's silicone (so it's "tacky" to most surfaces), and it's BIG. If you look at the last picture, the case is uniform thickness all the way down. Keeping in mind that the cases add about 1/4-inch all around, that means that there is a quarter-inch added to the camera bump, and the rest of the case maintains that thickness down to the bottom of the phone (more or less). It really makes the phone feel huge. To be honest, when I had the holster on, I felt like I had a laptop strapped to my side...kind of ridiculous-feeling.It's tacky now probably not for long

dude846
10-01-2010, 07:00 AM
See, that bothered me as well. VZ only gave enough screen protection for the touchable parts, not for the entire glass. It looks second-hand as a quick fill and overall its just not appealing at all - to look at, or to put on.

ambulance dude
10-01-2010, 08:22 AM
I got my Rugged case yeaterday, and so far I love it. My wife even likes the way it looks. Being a paramedic, my phone goes through hell, being dropped, banged, etc...., but with this case, I feel like I dont have to worry about it. My partner on the truck has an IPhone with an Otterbox, he watched me put on my Rugged, went to a computer and ordered a Rugged for his phone. I like the look and feel to it. The belt clip is nice and big and surely will fit any duty belt. I will admit that the way I pull down for notifications and use of hard keys has changed a bit, but I am allready used to it. Overall, I give this case an A+!:banana: