PDA

View Full Version : Verizon gearing up for Droid X Froyo?

danDroid
09-14-2010, 04:38 PM
http://www.droidforums.net/img/droiddoes-2.2x.png

A new page is appearing on the DroidDoes.com website indicating that Verizon "has" released Android 2.2 "Froyo" for the Droid X. This could be the first steps of prepping the websites for the new update. Unfortunately clicking through to the support area on VZW.com shows no update..... Stay Tuned!

Source: Droid 2.2 Update (http://www.droiddoes.com/2.2x/)

newdroidx
09-14-2010, 04:50 PM
Yeah that was the first thing I checked. Couldnt find it anywhere. Oh well, Ive been waiting this long, whats another 1,2,3,4,7 weeks??? AHAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:mad:

The-X-factor
09-14-2010, 05:02 PM
nice!!

fallenfeenux
09-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Looks like it, I'm reading the pdf from the support site :)

selrahc
09-14-2010, 05:18 PM
has anyone tried clicking the support link and its not loading? im thinking they're either updating the site or so many of us are trying to check it out

EDIT: nevermind its working now

heisenberg
09-14-2010, 05:31 PM
Nice, bout time for an official.But I'm gonna wait til easy root figures something out

yurdle
09-14-2010, 06:15 PM
has anyone tried clicking the support link and its not loading? im thinking they're either updating the site or so many of us are trying to check it out

EDIT: nevermind its working now

wasn't loading for me at first either... took a few refreshes..

yurdle
09-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Looks like it, I'm reading the pdf from the support site :)

lol so you know the pdfs that are up are the ones for the last update.. not froyo =p

Martin030908
09-14-2010, 07:31 PM
There's still no date mentioned on the site. Don't get too excited yet folks :)

DebianDog
09-14-2010, 07:50 PM
There's still no date mentioned on the site. Don't get too excited yet folks :)

So at this point I am looking forward to the depression people are going to have when they realizse that besides Flash and a few tweaks this update is no big deal.

Swyped on my X

Martin030908
09-14-2010, 07:52 PM
So at this point I am looking forward to the depression people are going to have when they realizse that besides Flash and a few tweaks this update is no big deal.

Swyped on my X
Froyo definitely has noticeable performance increases, but it's not going to reinvent the experience on the phone. :)

yurdle
09-14-2010, 07:52 PM
working VPN =) lol

marckus
09-14-2010, 07:59 PM

Swyped on my X

lol that's exactly what I was thinking. The update doesn't seem to be all that great except for the Flash.
Maybe if my arm turned robotic like the guy in the X commercial when I touch the phone after its been updated, then that would be a different story. Otherwise...

DebianDog
09-14-2010, 08:06 PM
Maybe if my arm turned robotic like the guy in the X commercial when I touch the phone after its been updated, then that would be a different story.

That's in version 3.0

Due out late Winter for the X

Swyped on my X

TommyV
09-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, but could someone tell me, or post a link to the advantages of Flash? I know I'll be able to watch any video on the web, but what else? What is a "Flash game"?

stdesign
09-14-2010, 08:53 PM
Here's a link to a 'Flash' game:

Penguin Jump game online for free - kids games (http://www.bgames.com/funny-games/Penguin-Jump.html)

I realize some may not know what these are all about, or may have even played one, but didn't know how it worked.

TommyV
09-14-2010, 11:37 PM
I have games now that look better than that.

TommyV
09-15-2010, 12:33 AM
I found a video that shows it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7a2o3CNnXY&feature=player_embedded

fallenfeenux
09-15-2010, 12:46 AM
lol so you know the pdfs that are up are the ones for the last update.. not froyo =p

oh haha..i didn't know, sorry...how embarassing...

Parasol
09-15-2010, 12:47 AM
The effort for them to create this freaking news, they could have finished up the update. It's not like it's a new major version!

Everyone knows what the hell 2.2 is suppose to bring. Just bring it!

luv2increase
09-15-2010, 08:47 AM
I have games now that look better than that.

It was just an example of a flash game lol

Not all games look the same.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Numb
09-15-2010, 09:27 AM
Finally, Motorola twitter said....

Motorola (MotoMobile) on Twitter (http://twitter.com/MotoMobile)

http://bit.ly/moto_android_upgrades

When is "late summer"?

I feel numb and loose.

meangreen82
09-15-2010, 09:51 AM
My guess is that due to the latest Flash security issue ALERT!! Adobe Flash Zero Day Vulnerability - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/80693-alert-adobe-flash-zero-day-vulnerability.html) they will probably not release the OTA update until after Flash is fixed (9/27 according to the link above).

mastertech007
09-15-2010, 10:24 AM
I'm at a toss up. Do I update when it hits and take a chance of no root or wait until it gets rooted and then update?????
Anyone else?

quadjacks
09-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Still no new update on the site. It is refreshing however to see a real official announcement! Thanks for the info!

cjacobs
09-15-2010, 11:40 AM
Lovella (Listening)
Lovella: Hi, my name is Lovella. How may I help you?
Chris Jacobs: Hello
Chris Jacobs: 2.2 :)
Chris Jacobs: When?
Lovella: Hi. How may I assist you today?
Lovella: I will be more than happy to check it for you.
Chris Jacobs: Awesome
Chris Jacobs: thank you
Lovella: May I know the model of the phone.
Chris Jacobs: Droid X
Lovella: Thank you.
Lovella: One more moment please, while I find that information for you.
Chris Jacobs: Ok tx
Lovella: You are welcome.
Lovella: Thank you for holding, my apologies for the delay.
Chris Jacobs: np

cjacobs
09-15-2010, 11:42 AM
Lovella: Android 2.2 is due for update in late summer.
Chris Jacobs: lol i knew that
Lovella: We do not have a specific date yet

TV1
09-15-2010, 11:56 AM
I just received an e-mail a couple days ago from Verizon about the Android update. It provided a link just like in the first post, but no go. WTF??? If you're going to send out a communication about Froyo coming and telling your customers to go update, then you better have the update ready to go!

DebianDog
09-15-2010, 11:58 AM
I just received an e-mail a couple days ago from Verizon about the Android update. It provided a link just like in the first post, but no go. WTF??? If you're going to send out a communication about Froyo coming and telling your customers to go update, then you better have the update ready to go!

DID you have an Android phone before?

melfunn
09-15-2010, 12:05 PM
Sounds more like early fall

Dragon
09-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Late Summer means when the fall starts...LOL....Don't believe nothing from google.

yurdle
09-15-2010, 01:26 PM
....Don't believe nothing from google.

huh??? what are you referring to? Google didn't say anything...

jstuart83
09-15-2010, 01:31 PM
huh??? what are you referring to? Google didn't say anything...
that's true the update has to do with Verizon not Google they produced froyo a while back its up to the phone developers and the carriers to release the update for there product

Dragon
09-15-2010, 02:37 PM
Whoever it is from, don't believe it.....they have never kept a release date yet and don't look for them to keep this one either....If they do, will be a first....Look how many times they delayed the last two release of OS....

Droidaholic
09-15-2010, 03:02 PM
I'd really like to believe it...but I know better. Of course I'd love to be wrong here.

GrillMouster
09-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Over on the DL site there's a post about a joint Moto-Adobe event taking place tomorrow. They're inviting people to join online and in-person. It revolves around creating and optimizing Flash content for Android devices. In the picture accompanying the article on the DL site it shows a DX running 2.2. The announcement of tomorrow's event, the photo attached to it, coupled with the "leak" of the VZW Support document for 2.2, and Moto's re-tweet of their 2.2 timeline, and recent "news" that Motoblur allows us to force download updates when they become available all lead me to believe that the official 2.2 for the DX will be released or announced tomorrow.
What can I say; I'm an optimist. Even if there's no mention of Froyo for the DX tomorrow, it should come out within the next seven days. They said it would be out by the end of summer, and next Tuesday is the last day of summer.

ToeJamm57
09-15-2010, 03:47 PM
I believe! But I'm also naive (does that rhyme? 2862

dancellabz
09-15-2010, 03:56 PM
Geez louise!

DebianDog
09-15-2010, 04:06 PM
It will be like Christmas morning tomorrow!!!

Well not for me. I never update anything Day 1. I have been in IT too long and know better. :p

tiburon03gt20
09-15-2010, 06:31 PM

Well not for me. I never update anything Day 1. I have been in IT too long and know better. :p

If your an IT guy, then why wouldnt u try it and if it doesn't work, use your knowledge to fix it or get rid of it? I dont know, but myself being an IT, that what i do. Its people like us that find bugs and know what to do with them! :)

Just my two cents!

DebianDog
09-15-2010, 06:41 PM
If your an IT guy, then why wouldnt u try it and if it doesn't work, use your knowledge to fix it or get rid of it? I dont know, but myself being an IT, that what i do. Its people like us that find bugs and know what to do with them! :)

Just my two cents!

Because I use my phone for WORK and am on call 24/7. I don't do "unknown outages".

I would rather you young bucks flush out all the issues then make an informed decision a day or 2 later.

You get 20 years in IT then see if you agree with me. ;)

Swyped on my X

hollywood
09-15-2010, 06:57 PM
Its people like us that find bugs and know what to do with them!

They're not bugs!!! They're features!!! (I'm IT too... That, and I work for HP. I know the drill. :p)

zachcr250
09-15-2010, 07:34 PM
My phone keeps saying its up to date but I keep saying it's not, dammit...

hub_cap
09-15-2010, 07:50 PM
My phone keeps saying its up to date but I keep saying it's not, dammit...

That hilarious :lol2:

brady.wassam
09-16-2010, 12:08 AM
I'm so tired of waiting for 2.2. When I bought my Droid X on launch date, I was told, and it was advertised as coming BY end of summer. Shortly AFTER I bought my phone it was advertised as early September. It's now the second half of September and I'm done waiting for Motorola. I'm going to demand my upgrade back towards a Fascinate!

Praetorian
09-16-2010, 03:17 AM
It would be killer if they added arrow keys for the keyboard. I always have trouble trying to drop the cursor in right where I need it...so editing takes forever sometimes. But I'm sure that isn't going to be in the update. My wife has the original droid on 2.2 and rubs it in...BUT I have the X heh heh heh.

DebianDog
09-16-2010, 03:35 AM
That's in your Droid now if you use swype. Blue swype key to SYM

http://tapa.tk/mu/aecf39a2-d68c-a164.jpg

Swyped on my X

UnlikelySalsero
09-16-2010, 03:41 AM
It would be killer if they added arrow keys for the keyboard. I always have trouble trying to drop the cursor in right where I need it...so editing takes forever sometimes. But I'm sure that isn't going to be in the update. My wife has the original droid on 2.2 and rubs it in...BUT I have the X heh heh heh.
If you are using Swype input, it's already available by swyping from Swype to SYM keys. That gives you a very handy keyboard for selecting/copy/paste operations. Lots of options and worth reading about in the help files.

EDIT: You gotta love this forum! While I was writing my reply, DebianDog was doing the same thing, but did it even better with a screen shot! And both of us were doing it in the middle of the night. Clearly something wrong with us (at least me!) I never saw his post until I posted my response.

Praetorian
09-16-2010, 04:32 AM
Thank you thank you thank you!!! I've been using swype for a while... Actually all my posts so far have been swyped. Thanks for the info.

Michaelwinne
09-16-2010, 05:44 AM
Lol jeez some people are too impatient. Sure I mean I want 2.2 just as much as the next guy, I have ever since the release date when my wife went in and picked up two of them, but I'm sure as hell not gonna return my phone for something else just cuz of an update lol

Les
09-16-2010, 11:18 AM
Well I am a impatient person... But i can wait for the update. It will be out soon and it did state by the end of the summer and the summer is not over yet 1 week left... So anyway it will come when it comes.. When it does i guarantee that people who have been impatient for this update will complain about it too... Someone always have to complain about something!

markiepaul
09-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Yeah, I've been waiting to complain until Fall. Using the first leak to hold me over. This board is gonna be hell when it finally does come out. I wish all the mods the best of luck lol

bishop73
09-16-2010, 01:59 PM
Other than the Flash, I'm really not looking forward to too much. That doesn't mean I'm not a tad disappointed in the numerous push backs and delays.

fraggy4
09-16-2010, 02:12 PM
I'm so tired of waiting for 2.2. When I bought my Droid X on launch date, I was told, and it was advertised as coming BY end of summer. Shortly AFTER I bought my phone it was advertised as early September. It's now the second half of September and I'm done waiting for Motorola. I'm going to demand my upgrade back towards a Fascinate!
For the record, the Fascinate is a much worse device and you're much better off waiting til the update than switching to that PoS.

Coop4200
09-16-2010, 02:21 PM

Sry BUT FLASH ALONE IS A HUGE DEAL FOR SOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DebianDog
09-16-2010, 02:31 PM
I have had Flash on my phone for over 3 weeks. But then I guess i don't consider being able to play Farmvillie "Life changing"

45 million iPhone users "somehow" deal without it 2937

rusky
09-16-2010, 05:00 PM
I've had 2.2 on my X for like the past month... Why don't you guys just install the leaked version if you're so impatient? Then when the OTA comes out, backup and reformat with the official 2.2. Problem solved.

xero149
09-16-2010, 06:07 PM
android 2.2 aka froyo has not been rolling out.....the roll out will start october 3rd and hopefully by the 2nd of november everyone should have it....and yes u can upgrade to the leaked version and flash back to 2.1 wen the ota comes i done it god knows how many times and it takes like 5 min....the truth is the leaked froyo has issues

riddler
09-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Just ran across this Droid 2.2 Update (http://www.droiddoes.com/2.2x/)

TheBoyPat
09-16-2010, 07:22 PM
I have had Flash on my phone for over 3 weeks. But then I guess i don't consider being able to play Farmvillie "Life changing"

45 million iPhone users "somehow" deal without it 2937

They also deal without a whole bunch of other features...that's the point in having an iphone...simplicity for simple people!

hollywood
09-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Just ran across this Droid 2.2 Update (http://www.droiddoes.com/2.2x/)

That's old news...

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-news/6788-verizon-gearing-up-droid-x-froyo.html#post60863

It's the veeeerrrrrryyyyyyyy first post in this thread...

mrklean59
09-16-2010, 07:52 PM
Try giving Skyfire browser a whirl... it does good with most flash sites ; )

Show
09-16-2010, 10:29 PM
I Just flashed back to 2.1 after having the leaked version since it surfaced. I never knew how smooth 2.1 really was. I enjoyed the flash, but I rather wait for the more stable version to arrive. The bugs in 2.2 are horrendous.

mustafaluigi
09-17-2010, 12:22 AM
That's old news...

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-news/6788-verizon-gearing-up-droid-x-froyo.html#post60863

It's the veeeerrrrrryyyyyyyy first post in this thread...

Ive said it before and ill say it again, people do not read the posts above them save for the few on the last page. The fact that this guy didnt even read the first post proves my point.

riddler
09-17-2010, 07:34 AM
I seen the screenshot ,didn't see the source link at the bottom of the post. :/

BadMedicine
09-17-2010, 12:45 PM
I just found this: Mobility - Official Motorola Droid X Android 2.2 Froyo Update Coming Next Week? (http://www.nynewspost.com/news/Official-Motorola-Droid-X-Android-2-2-Froyo-Update-Coming-Next-Week-1284741524/)

DebianDog
09-17-2010, 12:50 PM
I just found this: Mobility - Official Motorola Droid X Android 2.2 Froyo Update Coming Next Week? (http://www.nynewspost.com/news/Official-Motorola-Droid-X-Android-2-2-Froyo-Update-Coming-Next-Week-1284741524/)

> if media reports are to be believed.

What media reports? LOL

UnlikelySalsero
09-17-2010, 01:13 PM
> if media reports are to be believed.

What media reports? LOL

Yea, all this stuff is still the same nonsense, different day.

Until Verizon and/or Moto actually announce publicly it's all just more noise. Not via some hidden page, found page, tea leaves or smoke signals.

Of course they are gearing up, I suspect internally the roll-out team has been ready to deploy for at least a month, probably more.

There is always testing going on up until the last minute a major build is released. So announcing dates before it is actually green lighted means eating even more crow if they find another showstopper bug that requires another week or ten to address. They are still holding to their "late summer" time frame which is the most recent "official" notice.

Like half the people on this board, I'm signed up at Moto for the official release notice:
https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/34937

Along with that mail, we will be flooded with 400 people on this board telling us they have the OTA notice.

Until that official mail arrives, it's all a waste of time tracking all these rumors and "media reports"

DebianDog
09-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Lord.... I can't imagine the b*tching on the Moto forums... well I am bored. Heading over.

FMMFL
09-17-2010, 03:07 PM
I Just flashed back to 2.1 after having the leaked version since it surfaced. I never knew how smooth 2.1 really was. I enjoyed the flash, but I rather wait for the more stable version to arrive. The bugs in 2.2 are horrendous.

I couldn't agree more. I SBFd last night and was too tired to root and install 2.2
I was pleasantly surprised to see how well 2.1 performed. I forgot how great it ran. Especially with ADW.

luv2increase
09-17-2010, 03:44 PM
I couldn't agree more. I SBFd last night and was too tired to root and install 2.2
I was pleasantly surprised to see how well 2.1 performed. I forgot how great it ran. Especially with ADW.

I feel bad for you two. You went through a bunch of hassle for no reason. You should have done more research into a fix for your problems with 2.2 Why? Because there is a fix out which helps the small amount of people who are having problems to get their phone running "perfect".

What is this fix you may ask? The general consensus is that clearing the data/cache "AFTER" upgrading to 2.2 fixes all issues people are having.

I however have done two installs of 2.2 on two different Droid X devices without any problems whatsoever. We can attribute your problems to user-error.

My lack of any problems with the most recent upgrade which I did without flashing the SBF first is I believe due to flashing Tranquility's 2.3.3 ROM on top of the first rooted 2.2 available via ROM Manager.

Sometimes it can be fun to find solutions rather than giving up. :)

xero149
09-17-2010, 04:00 PM
how come in 2.2 when u try to bring the phone out of sleep the screen flashes for a sec before turning on.....also why does it get slow with live wallpaper.....something else i noticed was the in call ear volume is lower than 2.1 even when turned all the way up....noticed issues with Accelerometer....also comes out of sleep during a call and then my cheek hits the end call key....lol...major exchange issues!!!.....and the new unlock screen takes forever after u slide it.....i would say is my x but ive done it on a few of them mines, my sister, brother in law, my cousin....all have the same symptoms and all we're bought at different times

Nathan
09-17-2010, 09:58 PM
Will the Froyo update be automatic for rooted phones?

Dragon
09-18-2010, 12:50 AM
Not excited about it anymore, someone needs to the sh** together and release it already, since they say the end of summer...Hell, next week is the end of summer. Unless they are on another planet...Google and Verizon are so full of it..

jstuart83
09-18-2010, 01:35 AM
Google has nothing to do with it. This is the phone manufactures, which in this case is Motorola and the carriers problem

yurdle
09-18-2010, 01:40 AM
Yeah not quite sure why people keep blaming google..

They have done their part.

Sent from my Droid X

ToeJamm57
09-18-2010, 10:25 AM
"Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?"

kdkinc
09-18-2010, 05:05 PM
"Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?"

Never mind.................I pee'd myself waiting. Thanks Moto ...

rockface
09-19-2010, 07:06 AM
Change "Verizon gearing up for Droid X Froyo? (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-news/6788-verizon-gearing-up-droid-x-froyo-8.html)" to "Verizon giving up on Droid X Froyo? (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-news/6788-verizon-gearing-up-droid-x-froyo-8.html)" ;)

I did the update manually and, like the reports say, my Exchange Server connection stopped authenticating.
While I could have tried harder to fix it, i knew this was the reported bug with the last build, so i flashed back to 2.1 and am waiting for the OTA release.

2.2 was cool for the two days it was on my DX. But, to be honest, theirs not a BIG noticeable difference! There were no cool new app (like the Incredible got) the U.I. was no different (other than the 270deg flipping thing), and the JIT compiler did not fix the U.I. lags. All-in-all... it was a bust for me, and I went back to 2.1 while i wait for them to do it right.

If people are getting this excited over a .1 version release... wait till Android 3.0 comes out!
Lets just all get a grip.

Backnblack
09-19-2010, 07:12 AM
Everyone is complaining about a "leaked" version.... Hopefully the OTA will have these issues resolved.

southernbuck
09-19-2010, 07:14 AM
i am waiting for the OTA update as well....with things like this (and other things I can think of)...patience is a virtue

Pinzgauer
09-19-2010, 10:28 AM
I don't get it how people can see version 2.1 is ok. 2.1 is missing some major features. Just not having cut and paste a all applications is nonsense!!! Plus how could anyone say that having flash is not a major improvement is well.
Not updating the droid x has hurt Verizon's
reputation.
Maybe they do not care about the droid x user market but that's like Ferrari saying we don't care if our formula one race car Performance to list..

Pinzgauer
09-19-2010, 10:30 AM
I want 2.2 !!!

smokecombs
09-19-2010, 02:00 PM
I don't get it how people can see version 2.1 is ok. 2.1 is missing some major features. Just not having cut and paste a all applications is nonsense!!! Plus how could anyone say that having flash is not a major improvement is well.
Not updating the droid x has hurt Verizon's
reputation.
Maybe they do not care about the droid x user market but that's like Ferrari saying we don't care if our formula one race car Performance to list..
It's easy for me to understand...I mean it's a phone, plain and simple. Sure Flash and copy and paste would be cool, but in the end, it's still just a phone and even with 2.1 this phone does more than any phone I've ever owned previously. I mean I can think of hundreds of things the phone can't do, but those things aren't something someone would typically think of or expect a phone to do. I can wait cause basically I still have access to the internet, those rare times I need a phone for that, I can still take quick pics and video, and I can still make and receive phone calls. That's just me explaining that perspective, of how some people are satisfied with 2.1.

Usquanigo
09-19-2010, 03:42 PM
It's easy for me to understand...I mean it's a phone, plain and simple. Sure Flash and copy and paste would be cool, but in the end, it's still just a phone and even with 2.1 this phone does more than any phone I've ever owned previously. I mean I can think of hundreds of things the phone can't do, but those things aren't something someone would typically think of or expect a phone to do. I can wait cause basically I still have access to the internet, those rare times I need a phone for that, I can still take quick pics and video, and I can still make and receive phone calls. That's just me explaining that perspective, of how some people are satisfied with 2.1.

All of that is true. And IF 2.1 were the newest thing out there, OR if the X was a lower teir device, it would be fine.

But since it is intended to be a premier/top-of-the-line device, it should be among the first to get the upgrade, not one of the last.

Furthermore, a top teir device should never have been issued broken. And it was. And that exacerbates the delay of 2.2. I am a fan of OEM UIs, and happen to really like the X's stock interface. In fact, I rather DIS-like stock Android (and the idea of all phones from all OEMs on all carriers having the same UI is horrible to me). That said, Motorola screwed up and broke things. And that's just un-called for.

As it stands, Droid Doesn't. It doesn't connect to Exchange ActiveSync without encryption enabled. It doesn't connect to VPNs *with* encryption enabled. And that's not even getting in to the lack of Flash, or a "lower teir" device like the D2 shipping _with_ 2.2, and basically everything else in existance getting it first.

I was volunteered as a tester for my company, and wanted to move them away from RIM, and with us being a Verizon shop, and Win-Phone 7 not due out for a few months, Android was the only option. The new shinies of the DX and D2 were hard to pass up and everyone liked Motorola products. In a pinch, I fell for the screen of the X and went with that instead of the 2. Soon after I was wondering if I'd made the right choice as I pined away for over 2 weeks. Finally, on the 8th of Sept, I got it and was more excited that I had been since I bought my first brand new car.

Excited to show off just how much "droid does" and how it was a good investment (of money spent on me to have a new toy), and definitely the direction we should go - I ended up looking like a jackass, as I found, to my chagrin, that native apps won't sync to my Exchange server (and I can't enable SSL), and now all the "C Level" guys are having second thoughts about leaving RIM (to say nothing of my rep).

It works in stock 2.1, and other 2.1 OEM interfaces. Moto screwed up. And now they are killing us slowly by dragging their feet with the update (which I'm even starting to wonder if it will fix the problem).

I do NOT want to pay $20 for an app which should work natively. And I do NOT want to be forced to root my phone (and risk bricking it), and put on a raw 2.2 with it's hideous interface and lose one of the things I like about the phone. But will I have that choice? Will $200 (plus accessory costs) have been spent on an item that will never work as advertised? (oh, and at this rate, I'll be out of my 30 day return window by the time it ships, so will I be getting bent over for having faith and holding out....?)

firemcd
09-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Things I feel 2.2 will make a real difference with FOR ME; in order
#1 FLASH (in the background Queen's theme song from the early 80's Movie Flash Gordon plays momentarily and freakishly loud)
#2 Battery Usage Increase
#3 Ability to save to SD card/Mount Apps on SD card-at the moment my 16GB card is as functional as the battery cover
It is really getting OLD and TIRED hearing all these "Just be patient-2.2 really does not do much anyway!"
MOST of us who are the most angry about the delay only expect these 3 things I mentioned.
We do not think it will make our Droid X into a Tesla Roadster with time traveling abilities.
And as for the asinine "Just be patient!" trolls-
WE HAVE BEEN PATIENT BEYOND REASON!

Usquanigo
09-19-2010, 05:53 PM
We do not think it will make our Droid X into a Tesla Roadster with time traveling abilities.

God... I would HOPE it wouldn't turn into a useless, over-prices, over-hyped, planet killing, electrical grid straining glorified power wheel chair.

If anything, it should turn into a Corvette ZR1. Something with real performance (and a real engine).

:p

ToeJamm57
09-19-2010, 08:42 PM
DebianDog - if you are in IT then you would appreciate a word that I made up earlier this year. I work in healthcare, and we often get "upgrades" to our software systems that seem to break more than they fix or enhance. I created a new word for these "upgrades". I call them FUPGRADES. Feel free to use this at your leisure. I attempted to post it on Wikipedia but the editors removed it (sigh).

paulsg63
09-20-2010, 01:40 AM
"Hello, IT.... Have you turned it off and back on again?....." Roy

DebianDog - if you are in IT then you would appreciate a word that I made up earlier this year. I work in healthcare, and we often get "upgrades" to our software systems that seem to break more than they fix or enhance. I created a new word for these "upgrades". I call them FUPGRADES. Feel free to use this at your leisure. I attempted to post it on Wikipedia but the editors removed it (sigh).

AFcanesFan
09-20-2010, 02:06 AM
I feel you man, you made me realize that my reasons for wanting it were petty... Yeah if you are staking your business name on it, RIM is probably the best way to go... But man do they suck to use...

UnlikelySalsero
09-20-2010, 02:35 AM
<snip>

It works in stock 2.1, and other 2.1 OEM interfaces. Moto screwed up. And now they are killing us slowly by dragging their feet with the update (which I'm even starting to wonder if it will fix the problem).

<snip>

While I agree it can be very frustrating, Moto isn't dragging their feet on anything. They lose by it being later than they expected, but if you want to really lose, push software out the door before it's ready and the known issues are unsolved.

If Moto is like others, having enterprise software breaking for some firms has caused major sleepless nights for some software engineers and their managers. They have a team that is getting beat up daily for the delay. I've been in some of those meetings and it's like a cage match at points, with no good place to hide the tension.

Some technical issues are just not simple. Testing enterprise software is one of the toughest tech challenges out there. So many options, it makes testing a nightmare.

There are hundreds of possible configurations of Exchange, and firms can be running Exchange 2003/2007 or 2010. Your firm may be running a very vanilla setup or something extremely complicated and obscure, but right for your situation. Other firms can be supporting 10 users, 10 offices or 100,000 users across 10 time zones and 3 languages. Could be one Exchange server or twenty scattered around the globe. Sometimes I'm amazed anything works.

Waiting an extra two weeks or even two months is the right thing to do. Putting 2.2 on the DX before it shipped probably would have forced them to delay the hardware by a month or two. That may have been a win for some, but 95% of the people love the phone, because Exchange integration isn't their biggest feature.

I laugh at myself because at one level it's a phone, but we are all so tainted we expect it to be a texting, e-mail, camera, nav system and web browser, fully supporting everything we could do on a laptop... It has to support enterprise features but work well enough the average non-technical person can make it all work. If it fails at anything, I'm bothered until I remember what I had 12 months ago (a "feature" phone).

Some C level execs will not wait another couple weeks, but that is life. The smart ones know changing platforms is something that will be in place for X years. They really should give the eval a couple months anyway.

RIM has their own issues, or firms would never even consider a change. RIM is a leader today in many measures, but the trend lines are going in the wrong direction. Maybe they will pull it out, maybe not. (Lotus & WordPerfect owned markets in the past & lost them... but that's another history lesson WAY outside this discussion.)

All to say, I understand why people get frustrated, but X weeks later is much better than putting it out when there are know issues. Rushing things out the door because some people are unhappy about the delay often makes an existing problem even worse.

IF Moto gets it right when it's released, tomorrow or two months from now, the majority will forget the delay. And I wouldn't be surprised if it ships tomorrow or this week, and I won't be shocked if they wait another couple weeks IF they have enough known issues. Getting it out right is more important than a couple weeks delay.

YMMV

DebianDog
09-20-2010, 06:11 AM
Soooo tomorrow for sure then?

LOL

Swyped on my X

iresq
09-20-2010, 06:21 AM

LOL

Swyped on my X

It will definitely be tomorrow. The real question is which tomorrow.

southernbuck
09-20-2010, 07:10 AM

LOL

Swyped on my X

I'm ready!!!!!!!

movadoevo8
09-20-2010, 07:20 AM

Swyped on my X

Imo flash is a big deal... :)

Then again I've had flash on my droid 1 for months before it even came out lol n now been on the leaked version. So to me is meh. Lol....

Im going to wait on feed back before I consider updating so I don't lose root perhaps wait until the official OTA gets rooted.

Also never had to restore my droid x via sbs even though I have all the files, still kind of scared it might not work lol...

-DXed via Tapatalk-

southernbuck
09-20-2010, 08:33 AM
As I said earlier I am very anxious to get the OTA update, but my son did not notice much improvement on his 'Incredible'...in fact he said battery life is worse and he has all the same apps and similar daily usage. But many of you have already upgraded your X an have positive experiences of your own--so that's encouraging!!

Numb
09-20-2010, 09:35 AM
Twitter / Motorola: Happy Monday! We want to s ... (http://twitter.com/MotoMobile/status/25026928512)

Today's @Motomobile tweet started.

but, he's first tweet is not a droid x froyo news.

so we could wait a next week? :mad: :mad: :mad:

ToeJamm57
09-20-2010, 09:50 AM
"Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?"

LOL - this never get's old!!!

Usquanigo
09-20-2010, 09:57 AM
While I agree it can be very frustrating, Moto isn't dragging their feet on anything. They lose by it being later than they expected, but if you want to really lose, push software out the door before it's ready and the known issues are unsolved.

If Moto is like others, having enterprise software breaking for some firms has caused major sleepless nights for some software engineers and their managers. They have a team that is getting beat up daily for the delay. I've been in some of those meetings and it's like a cage match at points, with no good place to hide the tension.

Some technical issues are just not simple. Testing enterprise software is one of the toughest tech challenges out there. So many options, it makes testing a nightmare.

There are hundreds of possible configurations of Exchange, and firms can be running Exchange 2003/2007 or 2010. Your firm may be running a very vanilla setup or something extremely complicated and obscure, but right for your situation. Other firms can be supporting 10 users, 10 offices or 100,000 users across 10 time zones and 3 languages. Could be one Exchange server or twenty scattered around the globe. Sometimes I'm amazed anything works.

Waiting an extra two weeks or even two months is the right thing to do. Putting 2.2 on the DX before it shipped probably would have forced them to delay the hardware by a month or two. That may have been a win for some, but 95% of the people love the phone, because Exchange integration isn't their biggest feature.

I laugh at myself because at one level it's a phone, but we are all so tainted we expect it to be a texting, e-mail, camera, nav system and web browser, fully supporting everything we could do on a laptop... It has to support enterprise features but work well enough the average non-technical person can make it all work. If it fails at anything, I'm bothered until I remember what I had 12 months ago (a "feature" phone).

Some C level execs will not wait another couple weeks, but that is life. The smart ones know changing platforms is something that will be in place for X years. They really should give the eval a couple months anyway.

RIM has their own issues, or firms would never even consider a change. RIM is a leader today in many measures, but the trend lines are going in the wrong direction. Maybe they will pull it out, maybe not. (Lotus & WordPerfect owned markets in the past & lost them... but that's another history lesson WAY outside this discussion.)

All to say, I understand why people get frustrated, but X weeks later is much better than putting it out when there are know issues. Rushing things out the door because some people are unhappy about the delay often makes an existing problem even worse.

IF Moto gets it right when it's released, tomorrow or two months from now, the majority will forget the delay. And I wouldn't be surprised if it ships tomorrow or this week, and I won't be shocked if they wait another couple weeks IF they have enough known issues. Getting it out right is more important than a couple weeks delay.

YMMV

Yes, you are right that some things are not easy to fix. And one would normally assume that they are working hard on something like this. However.... on the other hand, as you said, the majority don't seem to care (apparently), so that incentive is lessened. Furthermore, it worked stock. How did changing the look break it? From the digging I've done, it appears that it does work on SSL enabled Exchange servers, and since that is the increasing majority these days, they probably checked that and called it good, only to find that the option to turn off SSL does not actually turn off SSL. How hard can it possibly be to fix that? It should also not hold off 2.2. That fix should be out on it's own ASAP. Or 2.2 should be out on it's own (to cover the rest of the people who don't care about Exchange connectivity), with fill disclosure and communication with the rest of us that do (about what's going on and why, etc.).

And again, you are right that it's a "phone", and looking at it from a historical view, it's bordering on ridiculous for us to expect so much out of them..... except there's a problem with that. The world has moved to a place where that not just expected, it's really required. At one time it might have been little more than a nicety, a bonus toy for well off people. But today, almost nobody has time to wait for getting around to fire up a laptop to connect and check messages. They need them instantly (or nearly so), with an ability to respond immediately where necessary. Taking that away now would be like taking email away 5 years ago, or taking phones away in the 80s. Buisness was done, and done well, before each of those innovations, but as they came online, they became integrated into the very fabric of society and now are crucial and indispensible.

I'm curious about the D2. Anyone have one of those? Does Exchange Active-Sync work without SSL on that? What about the 2.2 leak? That info may really adjust the light this is all seen in.

RIM does have issues.... it doesn't sync to Exchange. However, if the alternative on VZW only does POP/SMTP (or IMAP), why bother switching? This was an advertised feature, and an easy way to steal market share. (Shamefully, even Apple does a better job with this)

Interesting that you mention that it's amazing that anything works at all, in light of all the potential combinations of setups (although in the case of Exchange, it's really about SSL on or off here, but nevermind). I totally agree. Have felt that way and said it for a long time. However, it's not usually a good thing to say to a frustrated user who can't get something to work when they want it to. Been there, done that - usually it's a last resort for me when I don't have any fix or explanation for them and/or see their demand as over the top, but it's seldom received well. They don't care about complexity or myriad configuration possibilities - they simply want it to do what it's supposed to be able to do, and if it doesn't, well then get it fixed dammit.

It's been said often before, imagine this level of reliability in anything else in life - TVs, radios, DVD plaers, microwaves, cars, etc. This market is absurdly unique. lol

UnlikelySalsero
09-20-2010, 12:26 PM
<snip> How hard can it possibly be to fix that? It should also not hold off 2.2. That fix should be out on it's own ASAP. Or 2.2 should be out on it's own (to cover the rest of the people who don't care about Exchange connectivity), with fill disclosure and communication with the rest of us that do (about what's going on and why, etc.).

And again, you are right that it's a "phone", and looking at it from a historical view, it's bordering on ridiculous for us to expect so much out of them..... except there's a problem with that. The world has moved to a place where that not just expected, it's really required. <snip>

It's been said often before, imagine this level of reliability in anything else in life - TVs, radios, DVD plaers, microwaves, cars, etc. This market is absurdly unique. lol

A few thoughts:

We are mostly on the same page. I agree with your analysis. And I hate it when my phone locks up, the nav system won't nav, or I can't get WiFi to work someplace that I think it should. I expect it to always work, but there is not a single phone out there that is close to perfect. They are all a compromise at something.

The DX is arguably the best smartphone out there now, but we will laugh how primitive it was a year or two from now.

Most other reliable devices mentioned are single use: they do one thing well and most don't do it real well when their technology is new. We forget that TVs started black and white (massive 11" screens ~50 years ago), DVD players often had issues in the beginning (-RW, +RW, some disks didn't play in some players), I grew up in Detroit so don't get me started about car reliability in the "good old days".

Smartphones have us complaining that the updates aren't out within a few months of the phone shipping.

You asked how hard it is to fix something. Software developers live with the fact that everything is interconnected, often in ways that are not clear. Make one change and it may fix one issue, but then other things break.

If we assume the delay is all about Exchange, then maybe throwing it out the door and then fixing later is an option. We have no idea exactly why it hasn't shipped yet. Even the Exchange issues are speculation. There could be 3-5 other show stopper issues.

Exchange is critical for some shops, but it could be some WiFi variant/configuration that is giving them fits. Or it could be the browser, or flash, or ????. Each phone is unique combination of hardware and software, so just because something works in one place doesn't make it so in the others.

I suspect Exchange Active-Sync working on some other phones gave them a false sense of security for this phone... If it tested well in "standard" configs, and the other phones were working across a range, they assumed this one would too... only to find there is a side effect bug that is major with this phone.

BTW - They did release an update in late July, less than 2 weeks after the phone shipped... nobody expected that one and they could have easily waited another X weeks to put that out the door... so that tells me they could put out a partial release if they felt like it could work.

Until Moto blows past this week, they are still within their "official" statement for when the update will ship. (Summer official ends this week.) Everything else was rumors. And if they are a week or two behind their original projection, they are worlds ahead of most other hardware/software firms.

I share the frustration on one hand, but I know they have plenty of pressure to get it out soon, so I don't believe they are waiting unless there's a decent reason. I see no value in their delaying on purpose.

Shipping software before it's ready just delays the next release, causes worse PR then missing a projected date AND reduces the chances any future updates will be announced in advance.

I hope the update arrives this week just so we can find other things to complain about. I'm tired of this discussion ;)

Pinzgauer
09-20-2010, 12:46 PM
I don't care what problems or issues motorola on Verizon have just like they don't care how I come up with the cash for the phone or monthly service. They certainly didnt hold up their end in this transaction. What was advertised and promised is far from reality.

What bothers me most about the delayed update is the fact that I am now convenientely past my 30 day return period and I cant go back to my iPhone
Feels a lot like bait and switch to me.

Pinzgauer
09-20-2010, 12:49 PM
I don't care what problems or issues motorola on Verizon have just like they don't care how I come up with the cash for the phone or monthly service. They certainly didnt hold up their end in this transaction. What was advertised and promised is far from reality.

What bothers me most about the delayed update is the fact that I am now convenientely past my 30 day return period and I cant go back to my iPhone

Usquanigo
09-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Heh, cars are a passionate subject for me, and I REALLY go off on Americans that send their money over seas when there are perfectly good domestic options to choose from, while blindly regurgitating "Consumer Report's Japan-Inc propganda. And then they wonder why we have such a trade deficiet and our economy was even able to end up like it did (of course, that one opens a whole 'nother kettle of fish, but nevermind).

ANYway.... :)

I'm pretty sure that new Fords and BMWs work just fine. They aren't exactly "dumb cars", Ford-Sync and I-Drive combined with computer controlled engines, brakes and chassis (and of course, normally 1 comptuer controls ABS, TCS, and EBFD), plus all the other options (heated seats, power seats, power windows, keyless entry, keyless start, smart fobs, alarm systems, etc, etc, etc).

I think we're in a weird cross-roads in the computer industry. At heart, we're still comprised of geeks, nerds and hackers, that in an earlier time were busy hand assembling MITS Altairs, then trying to figure out a use for them, while yet at the same time, very much the opposite, the type that expects it to just turn on and work, like everything else in life.

However, that's still getting off-topic I guess.

Anyway, yeah, I know what you mean, massive interconnectedness can cause cascaded problems down the line in unexpected ways. From working with Flight Models for 1 sim, and being involved in heavy discussions about another (which was closed so there was no user tweaking possible), I know how that goes - change 1 thing to make a correction, and suddenly you have half a dozen new problems show up with can take a long time to sort out.

That said..... it's not like they are inventing the wheel here. They are putting a UI on an existing OS and set of core apps. And it's 1 small problem - even when you uncheck SSL, it still tries to use it. Some have found that if they can enable SSL on their server, they can connect, sync, then turn it off and it works fine, it's that initial connection attempt that is the problem. Unfortunately, for reasons too long and complicated to get in to, that's not an option for me to do here. And despite "knowing better" (I guess you could say), it's hard to see how something like this could be taking so long to fix. This information is over a month old in fact. And the problem was acknowledged (as existing) a month prior, yet it was the community that posted the details. Still no fix.

Microsoft has the right idea - use an update system integrated into the product to which you can push incremental specific updates as needed. This approach could make more people happy more quickly and also make them look like Scotty, as the fixes come fast and furious, they would be titans of PR and Customer Support.

But yeah, all in all, I would have to agree with you, we basically are on the same page. It's just that my patience on this matter are very thin because Apple, plus everyone else on the planet has it working, AND it worked stock. This is supposed to be the dynamic do-all that blasts the iphone out of the water in the corporate space, and that makes this a major embarassment (despite all it's other impressive capabilities and features).

UnlikelySalsero
09-20-2010, 02:00 PM
<snip>

But yeah, all in all, I would have to agree with you, we basically are on the same page. It's just that my patience on this matter are very thin because Apple, plus everyone else on the planet has it working, AND it worked stock. This is supposed to be the dynamic do-all that blasts the iphone out of the water in the corporate space, and that makes this a major embarassment (despite all it's other impressive capabilities and features).

I agree it's a major embarrassment/problem... When you have an enterprise issue, it immediately is a different level issue because that impacts work-flow/security and productivity.

That said, we still have the issue that the update may or may not be ready based on the known Exchange discussion, and we don't know what else is an issue. I've never even seen an official Moto document that says the current ship is held up by the Exchange issue. We'll never know...

When I look at the "official" docs from Verizon/Moto they said late summer release dates. I suspect they originally targeted August for the update, said "late summer" so they had wiggle room for Sept (since summer is officially over this week), and felt like that was all "safe" when originally posted.

They are out of their mind to announce dates that they don't believe in at the time they put it out there. I'm sure someone at Moto is saying "See... we should have said by mid October just to allow more testing time! I told you so!!"

Some of us are feeling cheated by anything that is a few weeks later than expected.

For the few that are bothered with their DX: You can go with the Apple model where they almost never announce products or updates until they actually ship, with hardware updates once per year (or so), only one phone choice at a time, or you go with a more dynamic Android market where some things are sooner, some later. You pick.

There are trade-offs with both models. Millions love their iPhone and ATT, so it's a viable option. (I'll also bet someone could get $165 for their DX, and could get out of the Verizon early termination fee if they switch before the update is available.)

At the end of the day, hundreds of thousands of people are thrilled with the DX at version 2.1, compared with their previous phones.

People on this board are not the average user, so we push the phones and want everything to work as expected NOW, not next week. I'm looking forward to the update, and I'm still betting it's this week, but that is just my WAG based on what I've seen so far.

In another 60 days or so all this energy will be directed toward a set of people complaining about Gingerbread not getting to this phone fast enough.

thedevilsadvocate
09-20-2010, 02:18 PM

(...snip)

Moto had big hardware issues in the past (and I say this as a relative of a few Moto employees, past and present). The timing of their obvious bogey, the iPhone 4, and its Antennagate, along with the screen stripes and random reboots of the early DX's lead me to believe Moto is more cautious than anything. The DX is VZW's flagship and they're probably adopting a no-failure attitude. The next 3 months will make or break the DX since by then all the hype will be gone and it'll be just about the phone and whether Moto's Android implementation has staying power against RIM and Apple.

I'm coming from a BB Tour which I thought I'd never get rid of. That replaced a BB Curve that I thought I'd never get rid of, which replaced an LG enV I thought I'd never get rid of...Yeah, been there done that, like probably a lot of other people here:D

I hated touchscreens until I tried the DX. 'Nuff said. It's a powerful device and I think we're right to expect a lot of it, and not just because MotoRizon told us to.

not as far off as you think, but yeah, topic-for-another-day.

YMMV

Totally agree. If there are saner heads such as yours around here for the duration I think I'll like it here.:cool:

UnlikelySalsero
09-20-2010, 02:28 PM
<snip>

Totally agree. If there are saner heads such as yours around here for the duration I think I'll like it here.:cool:

LOL!!!! Please don't confuse me with people who are sane.

I'll lose all my friends and relatives who still put up with me despite my lack of sanity. I've heard them say my insanity is just, "part of my charm" which is code for "he's nuts, but harmless as long as he doesn't have a knife or weapon handy..."

Usquanigo
09-20-2010, 03:06 PM
In another 60 days or so all this energy will be directed toward a set of people complaining about Gingerbread not getting to this phone fast enough.

No doubt.

But as long as I can get it to sync to my Exchange server with no SSL currently implemented, without having to use a for-pay 3rd party app, or a rooted raw 2.2 install, then I'll be happy, as it will then be what I expected it to be, in addition to all the "more" that I'm finding as I explore. It'll take me a long time to find it's full capabilities and I might not ever use all of them. As it is, I can't imagine what more I might need or want (unless they add an IR output for use as a remote, and whatever trasnmitter wireless mice/keyboards use so it can mimic and take over for said devices [thought I found that in the market, but you need a piece of code installed on the machine to be controlled - understandable, but the thought of being able to whip out a mouse/keyboard in any conference room in the country and have it work the machine hooked up to the projector... now THAT's power! :D ]).

Heh, to be honest, the speed increase and flash are niceties I'm really looking forward to, but overall, almost irrelevant to the one burning issue. So yeah, whatever's after 2.2 for me won't be an issue. I see myself as getting 3.0 on whatever device succeeds the DX.

BTW - on an unrelated note, that's a pretty interesting site you have there. :)

jfolk53
09-20-2010, 03:35 PM
I'll second that!!!!

Backnblack
09-20-2010, 04:05 PM
No doubt.

But as long as I can get it to sync to my Exchange server with no SSL currently implemented, without having to use a for-pay 3rd party app, or a rooted raw 2.2 install, then I'll be happy, as it will then be what I expected it to be, in addition to all the "more" that I'm finding as I explore. It'll take me a long time to find it's full capabilities and I might not ever use all of them. As it is, I can't imagine what more I might need or want (unless they add an IR output for use as a remote, and whatever trasnmitter wireless mice/keyboards use so it can mimic and take over for said devices [thought I found that in the market, but you need a piece of code installed on the machine to be controlled - understandable, but the thought of being able to whip out a mouse/keyboard in any conference room in the country and have it work the machine hooked up to the projector... now THAT's power! :D ]).

Heh, to be honest, the speed increase and flash are niceties I'm really looking forward to, but overall, almost irrelevant to the one burning issue. So yeah, whatever's after 2.2 for me won't be an issue. I see myself as getting 3.0 on whatever device succeeds the DX.

I'll second that!!!!

Touchdown is being provided for Free to X owners from Motorola......

FireHazard
09-20-2010, 04:39 PM
too long to read. when are we getting 2.2? lol

UnlikelySalsero
09-20-2010, 05:04 PM
No doubt.

But as long as I can get it to sync to my Exchange server with no SSL currently implemented, without having to use a for-pay 3rd party app, or a rooted raw 2.2 install, then I'll be happy, as it will then be what I expected it to be, in addition to all the "more" that I'm finding as I explore.

<snip>

Thanks for the kind words on my blog. I haven't written much since I got my phone... spending too much time having fun. Soon I'll be back to writing (over 180 articles to date...)

As for paying for an app to sync with Exchange, I thought Moto was providing free copies of a program (Touch down?, Touch xxx???) for users who had the sync issues.

Since I don't use that feature, I don't remember but I'm sure there is a way to get that program for free... Hopefully someone will chime in with the right name and a link to get the free download.

VetteVert
09-21-2010, 06:00 AM
I emailed the address posted at the major android blog sites with all of the required info and received no response at all. It was a Motorola address....

DebianDog
09-21-2010, 06:33 AM
Tomorrow for sure. :p

southernbuck
09-21-2010, 07:08 AM
Tomorrow for sure. :p

LOL....and a $100 rebate--right? ;) i do hope it's getting close

Usquanigo
09-21-2010, 07:59 AM
I did see on the official Motorola forum that they were giving out licenses (for Touchdown), but I thought I read that that had stopped. If it's still going, I'd certainly like to sign up for one.

VetteVert
09-21-2010, 08:05 AM
I guess I missed the fact that it had stopped...

ToeJamm57
09-21-2010, 08:54 AM
I just got a text message about my upgrade... no, wait a minute... it was a note from my wife to pick up milk.

DebianDog
09-21-2010, 08:55 AM
I just got a text message about my upgrade... no, wait a minute... it was a note from my wife to pick up milk.

Forget the milk and you will get an "upgrade"

-- The Wife

ToeJamm57
09-21-2010, 09:16 AM
hahahahahaha - Touche DD!

Forget the milk and you will get an "upgrade"

-- The Wife

dsa157
09-21-2010, 11:19 AM
http://support.vzw.com/pdf/system_update/droid_x.pdf

and update instructions here

http://support.vzw.com/pdf/system_update/droid_x_instructions.pdf

(not live yet... - hopefully tomorrow)

jhawk45
09-21-2010, 11:35 AM
I too worked in IT. We always called the latest "upgrade" the bleeding edge.

ToeJamm57
09-21-2010, 11:42 AM
I still like "Fupgrade".

ZeppyAndroid
09-21-2010, 12:00 PM
i noticed in this file, it has a screen shot of the x with 2.2, and another screen shot with a successful 2.3 upgrade? whats up with that? again sry if this is useless.

http://support.vzw.com/pdf/system_update/droid_x_instructions.pdf

although the page is for droid x, has have a feeling the screens are from a droid2 as one of the shots says droid2 for the model. hmmm

psychotic_penguin
09-21-2010, 06:35 PM
2.3.15 is the system version, it's still 2.2 don't worry

xero149
09-21-2010, 11:04 PM
my phone just pulled froyo.....at 12:03

DebianDog
09-22-2010, 06:09 AM
Close thread?

Jeff_B
09-22-2010, 06:16 AM
I got the Froyo update this morning ... at 6 am EDT. Quick download and update, only about 15 minutes using a G3 connection!

Martin030908
09-22-2010, 07:31 AM
Froyo is here. Closing this one up.