PDA

View Full Version : Wifi on/off?

ajs2294
09-09-2010, 08:25 PM
When I use the little Wifi on off widget I can never reconnect to my wifi instantly. Is there anyway to instantly connect to saved networks?

Also, does anyone know how to prevent the phone from skipping to mobile websites all the time?

Sorry for the newbie questions just go my X today ;)

izomiac
09-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Wifi takes some time to reestablish a connection. For example, with WPA2 there's a four-way crypto handshake that takes a few seconds, plus some signature verification that might take a while. It'd be nice to instantly reconnect, but routers won't let you do that. What they will allow is if you stay connected the phone can enter a powersaving mode where there's hardly any activity, but it can nearly instantly convert it to a full connection if you send or receive anything.

To use this keep wifi on, and configure Android to never turn it off. Don't do this unless you are within range of a saved wifi network all the time, since otherwise it'll kill your battery searching for networks. Speaking of which, a rooted user can modify build.prop to configure how often Android searches for networks. The default is 60 seconds, so reducing it will use more power but discover new networks more quickly, and increasing it will save power but it won't scan for networks as often.

As for mobile websites, change your user agent to a "Desktop" browser. It's buried in Settings somewhere, and you might have to go to "about:settings" or something to get to the right menu. Sorry for being vague on the details, but it depends on which browser you're using, and this should give you enough information to google some step-by-step instructions.

Xzombie69X
09-11-2010, 08:58 PM
I also have this problem, I did notice when i bring up the wireless networks in range then it will like instantly connect to my saved network.

chuck6961
09-11-2010, 09:41 PM
i can connect to my home network as soon as i turn on wifi but i did notice it does take a few seconds to establish a connection

Asharad
09-11-2010, 10:56 PM
it takes a few seconds to connect... maybe 10-15. It works well enough.

izomiac
09-11-2010, 11:05 PM
Hmm, thinking a little more, there should be a few ways to minimize the time it takes to connect. First, only turn on wifi when you're in range, otherwise the initial scan won't find anything and your phone won't scan again for another minute. Second, disable WEP/WPA (bad idea for other reasons, but connections will be faster, the gist of this idea is to move down to the lowest security that you're comfortable with). Third, use a static IP address so you can avoid DHCP.

Uncle Chan
09-12-2010, 10:31 AM
it takes a few seconds to connect... maybe 10-15. It works well enough.

Same here. But it takes that long for my laptop to connect. So, no big deal.