PDA

View Full Version : Streaming Pandora through a car stereo...

haackp
09-08-2010, 07:21 AM
Just got my Droid X a week ago and now I use Pandora, will the Droid X stream Pandora through just about any BlueTooth car stereo, or do only certain ones work well? If anyone has a car steareo they do this with could you post the model please.....

BluestedSRT
09-08-2010, 07:40 AM
I have an fm trasmitter/charger and it streams Pandora that way. I have portable bluetooth speakers and they stream Pandora as well. I have connected to my friends bluetooth Alpine (don't know the model) in his truck and it will stream Pandora too.

DebianDog
09-08-2010, 07:41 AM
If your car has an AUX port you can do it for the price of a $3 cable. ;)

chucklehead
09-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Unfortunately my car doesn't have an AUX port. It has a cassette player, tho. Yes...it's that old!

Anyways, for the $5 or less it costs for a cassette adapter I get great sound streaming from Pandora!! I stopped using my iPod in the car and just use my DX now! I get no static and no crackling. Perfect!

4Dandroid
09-16-2010, 04:36 PM
I just bought the Motorola T505 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WTM552?ie=UTF8&tag=theupperdeck&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000WTM552) last week. It does a great job. I was very surprised by its small size too. I used it to stream Pandora on my vacation that ended yesterday. Just make sure that you have the volume turned up all the way on your DX if you're listening to music. I have not tried it yet for hands-free calls, but the reviews on Amazon indicate that it does that well too.

RedBank
09-17-2010, 06:27 AM

My stereo has an aux out pre-amp open and I am looking to hook my X to my car system. Is the best (and cleanest) way to stream sound through my car via the auxiliary connection? I hate using the cigarette FM adapters and I don't have blue tooth in my car (Mazda6).

Basically...my goal is to get the X hooked to my car because it has so much I can use in there. What is the best way?

tracey
09-18-2010, 06:30 PM
I just bought a jvc kw xr810. It has bluetooth and the ability to stream music over bluetooth. You can even skip songs in pandora using the stereo. Plus all its other features make it awesome. I have also used an aux cable which works fine, but it us so much easier to use the controls on the stereo than on the phone when you are driving. I will add though that pandora's music quality isn't that great. I always have to turn it up louder than my mp3s.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jmartinez06
09-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Using cda-105 with kce-400bt. With my system in my car... It's freaking awesome..

Dalverny63
09-19-2010, 02:29 AM
Yea aux is the best cleanest way but in ur post you said ur stereo haas aux out....dat won't work it hasta be aux input

This is my X there are many like it but this one is mine...without my X I am useless....my X is useless without me..

jmartinez06
09-19-2010, 12:55 PM
I don't believe aux to be the cleanest, I'm using bluetooth over custom system and it s better sounding than my buds wired aux. Bluetooth is the only way to go

kingnut
09-20-2010, 10:59 PM
I don't believe aux to be the cleanest, I'm using bluetooth over custom system and it s better sounding than my buds wired aux. Bluetooth is the only way to go

apples to oranges. bluetooth would not make the sound quality any better over a stereo plug wired solution. unless your wired solution was defective or dirty.

DebianDog
09-21-2010, 03:50 AM
Yep Apples and Oranges. I do not think your gonna beat a hard copper wire with and any wireless solution.

RedBank
09-21-2010, 05:45 AM
Yep Apples and Oranges. I do not think your gonna beat a hard copper wire with and any wireless solution.

this is what i thought. i dont have or even know much about bluetooth myself...so I wasnt sure. I am going to install an aux input via the open auxout i have in the back. this X needs to be part of my "system".

Asharad
09-21-2010, 05:57 AM
Bluetooth sounds good to me. ..... to me......

DebianDog
09-21-2010, 06:24 AM
Bluetooth sounds good to me. ..... to me......

It may be "as good" but unless something is wrong with your AUX port or cable. It won't be "better"

tracey
09-21-2010, 06:52 AM
But if it's as good, I prefer bluetooth because you don't have to plug something in every time you get in the car. Plus you will still hear your phone ring over bluetooth even if your are listening to a different source like the radio. Not so if you're plugged into the aux.

fire4100
09-22-2010, 09:57 AM
i have a sirius / xm app on my phone and a built in bluetooth system from General Motors which the phone works thgrough is there a way to have the music from the app go through the speakers via the bluetooth instead of using the aux port

DebianDog
09-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Don't get me wrong. If i had bluetooth I would probably use it.

iDr0id
09-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Cleanest is probably bluetooth, then aux in, then probably rca in

tracey
09-22-2010, 08:39 PM
For what its worth, since the 2.2 update my bluetooth stereo will now display track info of the song I am listening to over bluetooth using the stock music app.

RedBank
09-23-2010, 06:16 AM
Cleanest is probably bluetooth, then aux in, then probably rca in

Cleanest as in sound...or cleanest in hookup?

I find it hard to believe that BT will provide a cleaner, more accurate "sound" than a clean direct wire connection. I am not refuting your claim...but general knowledge with electronics tells me otherwise.

Now if you mean "clean" as in no wires and ease of connection...than I would agree with you.

I wish my system had BT on it...bc it is for sure the easiest solution I have seen.

Tripoutski
09-23-2010, 11:48 AM
On feature that is awesome is that Pandora will pause when a call comes in. With one touch I am on speaker phone, then when the call ends the system fires up Pandora where it left off. A very awesome feature.

However, since 2.2, Pandora pauses and the phone GUI works fine, however when the call terminates the phone GUI remains up. After closing it, Pandora remains paused until I navigate back to Pandora and un-pause it.

I figure it is an App compatibility issue, but I was curious; is anyone else is seeing this?

sluzbenik
09-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Honestly for any streaming music app you won't notice a difference between Bluetooth and copper. You may for a 192k or better mp3 however.

Asharad
09-23-2010, 08:02 PM
Honestly for any streaming music app you won't notice a difference between Bluetooth and copper. You may for a 192k or better mp3 however.

What's what I've been trying to say. Don't spend $$$$$ for perfect car audio if you plan to listen to mp3s or streaming.

kpiskin
09-23-2010, 08:57 PM
I have my DX In the cardock and stream Pandora via bluetooth to my Ford Sync system and the clarity is better than satellite but just a notch below CD quality.

Sent from my DROIDX

tracey
09-24-2010, 07:07 AM
I think if you have a good stereo though it will make quite a difference in pandora. It definitely did for me. And mines not anything super fancy but it is an upgrade over my old one.

kpiskin
09-24-2010, 10:01 AM
Actually comparing copper to bluetooth is probably a moot point. BT 1.2 can send up to 1Mbps of streaming data, BT2, 3Mbps, and BT3 can send 24Mbps of data. All of which are much higher data rates than anything Pandora puts out (~128Kbps). The miniplug (TRS connector) probably can match BT1 and 2, but if you couple that with how clean the physical connection is or how well mated the jack is to the connector, then the copper will lose out every time because noice will be introduced. I'm pretty sure the data rate for these cables are pretty low, but also exceed Pandora's data rate as well. Most copper audio cabling has given way to fiber audio connections like TOSLink which offer much higher clarity and lossless (uncompressed) audio.

RedBank
09-25-2010, 08:59 AM
Actually comparing copper to bluetooth is probably a moot point. BT 1.2 can send up to 1Mbps of streaming data, BT2, 3Mbps, and BT3 can send 24Mbps of data. All of which are much higher data rates than anything Pandora puts out (~128Kbps). The miniplug (TRS connector) probably can match BT1 and 2, but if you couple that with how clean the physical connection is or how well mated the jack is to the connector, then the copper will lose out every time because noice will be introduced. I'm pretty sure the data rate for these cables are pretty low, but also exceed Pandora's data rate as well. Most copper audio cabling has given way to fiber audio connections like TOSLink which offer much higher clarity and lossless (uncompressed) audio.

Thanks for the excellent input here kpiskin. The X has the following Bluetooth specs:

BLUETOOTH® TECHNOLOGY
Stereo Bluetooth Class 1.5, Version 2.1 + EDR (support profiles, A2DP, AVRCP, HFP, HID, HSP, OPP, PBAP)

What's the difference between stereo BT Class 1.5 and the Version 2.1 BT that is advertised for the X? My head-unit doesn't have Bluetooth, but I do have an aftermarket speaker/amp system set up that pumps incredible sound. I need to get this thing hooked up to my head unit ASAP.

I have two open AUX outs on the back of my head-unit...and will definitely be using one of them for an Aux input for my X and anything else. Is that the same thing you were referring to when you said "mini-plug" (TRS connector)? I don't listen to any lossless music so any music I put on my X will be as high quality as it possibly can...and of course I want to get the best Pandora sound through my car as well. I'm a PandoraOne customer and it has become a major part of my life at this point.

I really never even knew BT was that good for a connection and now it has me thinking...(even though my head-unit does not have BT connectivity).

juga
09-26-2010, 08:16 AM

This is what I do and it works great

kpiskin
09-29-2010, 11:05 AM
You are most welcome. Yes, the aux port will be a mini-plug or TRS connector. I am also a PandoraOne user. I think for the money it beats Sirius, especially if you just want to listen to music. I think Pandora increases the throughput to 192kbps (from 128kbps) if you are a paid member.

Swiss
03-31-2011, 12:57 AM
Old post but figured that I would ask about some adapters. My Toyota truck is just old enough to have both CD and Cassette players. It is NOT new enough or trick enough to have an Aux. Input. I found some Cassette input adapters that can be used to input signals through the Cassette player but I have some questions. One of them is a Bluetooth input and the other is a 3.5mm plug adapter. Problem that I see is that with the Cassette adapter in the slot the radio won't play and all input will be through the adapter from my X... Fine if I am navigating and don't want music in the background or satisfied with the tunes that I have recorded on the X or with Pandora etc... But if I want the local Oldies radio station it won't connect due to the adapter being installed.
Car Cassette Tape Adapter For MP3 CD Player iPhone iPod | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Cassette-Tape-Adapter-MP3-CD-Player-iPhone-iPod-/390258967918?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item5add3f456e)
Car Bluetooth Tape Cassette MP3 Audio Adaptor - eBay (item 110660546806 end time Apr-11-11 03:30:00 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110660546806&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT)
These are just 2 examples of what I found for adapters.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Swiss

MICHO
03-31-2011, 01:22 AM
Y not go down to ur local big blue store and pick up an fm transmitter 4 about 10-25 bucks then u can do it all 4 a small investment just set the frequency on the transmitter to one u know isn't being used and u can still channel surf as u plz

Swiss
03-31-2011, 11:31 PM
So if I have an FM transmitter and the radio tuned to another freq, how is it that I get the incoming call on the radio which is at a different freq??

dennyjones
04-01-2011, 07:49 AM
Amazon.com: GOgroove Flexsmart X2 Advanced Wireless In-Car Bluetooth FM Transmitter with Charging, Music Control and Hands-Free Calling Capability for Android, iPhone, Blackberry and Windows Smartphones: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Transmitter-Hands-Free-Capability-Blackberry-Smartphones/dp/B003PPGOC0/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1301662043&sr=8-10)

I bought this from Amazon a couple of weeks ago and I see that the price has went up. It will allow for a BT connection from the DX to your car stereo. It also will charge your phone and allow for hands free phone calls too. I'm still playing with it but so far, an excellent investment.

I just left a review on Amazon for the product.

Asharad
04-01-2011, 11:09 PM
If I had to choose between FM transmitter and a cassette tape adapter, I'd probably take the cassette tape adapter. Both have poor radio quality, but the FM transmitter can be subject to interference from local radio stations.

dennyjones
04-02-2011, 09:39 AM
If I had to choose between FM transmitter and a cassette tape adapter, I'd probably take the cassette tape adapter. Both have poor radio quality, but the FM transmitter can be subject to interference from local radio stations.

What's nice about what I purchased, I can change frequencies. The sound is very good.

thalsey51
02-23-2012, 07:34 PM
I am new to this so I apologize but I don't know how to start a new post. I have PandoraOne and have a car that is capable of streaming audio via bluetooth. My problem is I don't know how to make it work in my car. I love Pandora and hate XM, which I have in another car. Please, if anyone can tell me how to make Pandora work through Bluetooth in my car I will be extremely grateful. For example, what do I set my Droid X on and what do I set my car radio on? My car is a 2012 Infiniti FX35 and it does not have an aux. jack so I have to be able to stream it through Bluetooth.

Asharad
02-23-2012, 08:50 PM
You'll need to "pair" your phone with your car stereo. Follow the instruction manual for your car stereo. Also, go into bluetooth settings on your DroidX and turn on make discoverable (this facilitates pairing... you'll have 120 seconds to get em paired).