PDA

View Full Version : Droid X and Music

Synyster
09-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Is the Droid X worth using as an MP3 player? Or should I invest into a different MP3 player?

smalltowngirl13
09-01-2010, 07:10 PM
I have an iPod touch that I don't use anymore - it stays in my vehicle connected to my radio...

Synyster
09-01-2010, 07:12 PM
I have an iPod touch that I don't use anymore - it stays in my vehicle connected to my radio...
So it is worth using as a phone and MP3 player?

smalltowngirl13
09-01-2010, 07:18 PM
IMO it is - I bought MixZing (the full version) and I am pleased with it...

I don't stream anything in my Tahoe from my X as I can dock my iPod for the same music and I have satellite and HD radio as well as local...

If I do alot of listening, I just make sure I have charger available so my battery doesn't go dead...

c0ruptiv3
09-01-2010, 07:27 PM
I would just use the phone. It has a 16gb card which is more than enough for most music collections, and the stock music player is actually very nice, and you can try others on the market place giving you loads of options. I have 3 ipods, an Ipod Touch 8gig , Ipod Nano 5th gen 16gig, and a 30gig classic. I use to love those things and never even considered using my phone till i got my first Motorola Droid, which changed everything. i have yet to use my ipods again i may end up selling them. Adding and removing music is quite simple and getting album art (Which im anal about) is quite easy to get. Many of the 3rd party music players are amazing for example Cubed (using the little cubed mini 3 on the keyboard) or if you have Froyo 2.2 the Music Mod player. All in all its much easier to keep everything on the phone and the interface and usability is very nice. Dont waste your money on an mp3 player as a second gadget your going to have to carry around and worry about when your phone is more than capable and actually out preforms most mp3s :) (This is debatable when comparing to ipods many people believe there interface is the greatest thing since sliced bread, personally i dont care for it.)

Hope this helps! :)

Synyster
09-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the help.

I may upgrade to the 32gb, but I'll see how well the 16 does for me.

Synyster
09-03-2010, 06:06 PM
Does listening to music interfere with basic task? Calling, texting, browsing the web?

Also, I'm having a bit of trouble transferring music to my phone. Keeps telling me something about my SD card?? Help!

Gh0st
09-03-2010, 08:17 PM
What I have found to be great is to change the bit rate of the songs you are going to be putting on your phone from 128+ to 32-64, the sound is still good on the phone and they are like 1/3 the size. I use bluetooth stereo headphones and I cant notice a difference between 320 and 64 bit rates...
How I do it:
1. Get the songs you want to put on your phone together
2. Open iTunes
3. Go to edit > preferences > import settings
4. Change the setting to custom and select 64 kbps
5. Add all the songs you want to put on your phone to a playlist and select them all
6. Go to Advanced and click create mp3 version (works even if they are already in mp3 format)
7. Go to your iTunes music folder and copy the files to your phone (editing name, ect. is your choice)
8. Enjoy

hollywood
09-03-2010, 08:28 PM
If you like the iPod layout, there is an app called bTunes that is pretty closely mapped out to the same images and layout as the iPod and iPhone. Also, another app that I like is Zimly. But you have to DL it from their website, I think...

Synyster
09-04-2010, 04:00 PM
What I have found to be great is to change the bit rate of the songs you are going to be putting on your phone from 128+ to 32-64, the sound is still good on the phone and they are like 1/3 the size. I use bluetooth stereo headphones and I cant notice a difference between 320 and 64 bit rates...
How I do it:
2. Open iTunes
5. Add all the songs you want to put on your phone to a playlist and select them all
6. Go to Advanced and click create mp3 version (works even if they are already in mp3 format)
7. Go to your iTunes music folder and copy the files to your phone (editing name, ect. is your choice)
8. Enjoy
I'm trying this, but I'm not getting anywhere with the steps you provided. Would it be different since I have iTunes 10 now?

smalltowngirl13
09-04-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm trying this, but I'm not getting anywhere with the steps you provided. Would it be different since I have iTunes 10 now?

You might check out this thread...barkdog had a good suggestion - it might help ya out...

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-help/756-help-transferring-itunes-music-droid-x.html

Synyster
09-04-2010, 05:35 PM
I figured it out, the only problem is, I'm not sure exactly what I did to make it work. I have a rough idea of what I did, ha. I hope this doesn't happen to me again.

BOWIE
09-04-2010, 06:00 PM
Is the Droid X worth using as an MP3 player? Or should I invest into a different MP3 player?
If you're into high-fidelity music reproduction, get another device. The DX functions pretty well as an MP3 player (Meridian player rocks!), but the sound quality from the headphone jack is mediocre.

Synyster
09-04-2010, 06:19 PM
If you're into high-fidelity music reproduction, get another device. The DX functions pretty well as an MP3 player (Meridian player rocks!), but the sound quality from the headphone jack is mediocre.
I just listened to it for the first time, and I didn't think it was bad at all.

Is there a way to make the music player not stop playing when I get a text message? Or an alert?

Gh0st
09-04-2010, 07:01 PM
So you figured it out?
The only way I know of to have music play through alerts and stuff is if you have your phone on vibrate

DroidWhat
09-04-2010, 08:36 PM

Very true for most music players available to the Droid X...

BUT.... BUT...

If you purchase the MixZing media player (install the free version then purchase the upgrade), turn on the EQ and adjust it to taste (which AFIK is the only media player on android which includes a graphic equalizer) the sound with a decent set of ear buds stomps my iPhone. Amazingly great quality sound... for myself anyway.

I could not stand using the X for music until i switched to MixZing.

Gh0st
09-06-2010, 07:31 PM
The X has a built in equalizer for music, go to "sound and display" and then "media audio effects".

smalltowngirl13
09-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Very true for most music players available to the Droid X...

BUT.... BUT...

If you purchase the MixZing media player (install the free version then purchase the upgrade), turn on the EQ and adjust it to taste (which AFIK is the only media player on android which includes a graphic equalizer) the sound with a decent set of ear buds stomps my iPhone. Amazingly great quality sound... for myself anyway.

I could not stand using the X for music until i switched to MixZing.

I agree - the on screen equalizer with MixZing is NICE!

So you figured it out?
The only way I know of to have music play through alerts and stuff is if you have your phone on vibrate

This is the only way I know of as well - vibrate or silent...

psychotic_penguin
09-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Face Palm.....I have an iPod that's connected to my stereo in my Blazer, a real nice interface with the deck. I also have an iPod Video on my desk at work and 2 extras that I use when travelling, so you could say I'm an iPod fanboy. I don't use my DX or my D1 previously for any music, never even tried actually.

mbern1008
09-06-2010, 09:43 PM
I am using Subsonic and loving it. I get to stream everything I own on my personal computer to my phone.

DroidWhat
09-07-2010, 01:24 AM
Oh wow Subsonic... I searched forever looking for something that actually worked well and never ran into this. This rocks. The only thing that would make it better is a nice EQ (yeah yeah i know the X has audio effects but those suck compared to a real EQ)

ToeJamm57
09-14-2010, 09:57 AM
I use it for mp3s. My Ipod Touch stays in my office now - plugged into a docking station. I use the Droid X to listen to books and music everywhere else.

ToeJamm57
09-14-2010, 10:01 AM
Does listening to music interfere with basic task? Calling, texting, browsing the web?

Also, I'm having a bit of trouble transferring music to my phone. Keeps telling me something about my SD card?? Help!

Audio files will play in the background when doing other functions. If a call comes in it will automatically pause, etc. Need more info regarding your trouble transferring files. What is it telling you about your SD card?

ToeJamm57
09-14-2010, 10:35 AM
You might try silencing the alerts within the app. This may still cause the song your listening to to pause briefly but that's the only thing I can think of. Of course they would be silenced all the rest of the time as well.

I just listened to it for the first time, and I didn't think it was bad at all.

Is there a way to make the music player not stop playing when I get a text message? Or an alert?

movadoevo8
09-14-2010, 10:45 AM
IMO it is - I bought MixZing (the full version) and I am pleased with it...

I don't stream anything in my Tahoe from my X as I can dock my iPod for the same music and I have satellite and HD radio as well as local...

If I do alot of listening, I just make sure I have charger available so my battery doesn't go dead...

I been using the STOCK app because when the screen is locked all i have to do is hit th home button or power button for the screen to light up and there is a sort of widget on the locked screen that lets me pause, go fwd or go back a track without having to unlock and do my unlock pattern which is really convenient..... does the full version of Mixzing allow for this?

mikeytoth
09-20-2010, 09:17 PM
What is the max wma file the droid x will play?

kingnut
09-20-2010, 10:38 PM
great post. i will try this.

kingnut
09-20-2010, 10:38 PM
How I do it:
2. Open iTunes
8. Enjoy

great post i gotta try this.

cj74
09-21-2010, 08:08 AM
great post i gotta try this.

Let me know if it works out for you. My version of iTunes is not offering the "create mp3 version. The only option I am geting is AAC.

IMDROID
09-21-2010, 08:43 AM
I am using Subsonic and loving it. I get to stream everything I own on my personal computer to my phone.

Streaming OTA is cool, I'm using TVersity (http://tversity.com/) which can handle video's / movies and pictures and of course music.

Synyster
09-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Does anyone have a better way to upload music besides using V-Cast? I think V-Cast is a horrible program, there has to be an easier, more efficient way to upload things to your phone.

sonata
09-26-2010, 12:47 PM
Im a big proponent of carrying as little devices as I have too. That's why I wanted the DX in the first place- it straddles the tablet and phone form factors perfectly, has enough memory to act as a dedicated mp3 player, and has a dedicated 3g connection.

For transferring music seamlessly Id suggest either Doubletwist or the lesser known Salling Media Sync. Doubletwist is essentially an iTunes replacement program that syncs with android devices and uses the amazon MP3 store. Salling Media Sync is an intermediary app that allows you to still use itunes for managing your music while giving you the ability to sync to an android device.

All this being said, I've moved pretty much entirely to the cloud for my music. Im now using a service and app called rdio (no a in the spelling). Its subscription based but it allows you to look most any album you want and add it to your library. You can also set it to download to your device so that you can still play your music even if you don't have a signal. The only hitch is that all your music is stored through then, so you can't burn cds or the like. That said, it fits my personality really well- I don't have to go buy albums anymore, I can just get the music I want when I want it. It plays on my stereo at home through my computer and through my stereo in my car through a 3.5mm jack (I use a spring corded 3.5mm cord that just always stays plugged into my faceplate to make it easy).

Hope some of this helps!

mdutch
09-27-2010, 03:08 PM
I use my DroidX in "Car Dock" and Bluetooth mode to seamlessly stream playlists to my Pioneer. You can also use USB in "Raw Storage" which will allow you to browse folders from the radio, but that is clunkier than the Music app on the DroidX. So if you have a bluetooth-enabled car-stereo, I suggest using it.
Here's how I change up my DroidX music library:
1. All my DroidX music is in a folder in SD memory cryptically called "Music". ;)
2. From my desktop's mp3 folders I drag and drop artist (or individual album folders) into the Music folder, deleting those I'm tired of this week.
3. Then I create my own DroidX Playlists for the new music, by...
a. Opening an album folder on the SD card
b. Highlighting the .mp3 files and right-clicking
c. Selecting "Create Playlist"
d. Name the playlist "<artist> - <album>"
e. Drag the completed playlist file to the Playlist folder
4. New playlists display on exit/open the Music app.

Has anyone else noticed the cool "Create playlist" right-click function in the SD storage folders?

wahoobie
09-27-2010, 09:22 PM
Does anyone have a better way to upload music besides using V-Cast? I think V-Cast is a horrible program, there has to be an easier, more efficient way to upload things to your phone.

"If" you already use iTunes the "Motorola Media Link" software seems to be working well for my syncs. Just mp3 tracks/playlists is all I was carrying over but it works flawlessly for me in that.

Synyster
09-27-2010, 11:57 PM
"If" you already use iTunes the "Motorola Media Link" software seems to be working well for my syncs. Just mp3 tracks/playlists is all I was carrying over but it works flawlessly for me in that.
I use iTunes as my main source of playing music, but I can't transfer my music from iTunes to my X, I have to use V CAST Media Manager and I hate it! Its too slow, very laggy, and takes far too long.

jakencks
10-18-2010, 12:15 PM
Is it possible to link to GMC USB port in new vehicles? Radio says device not supported. Any tips there?

C Dippa
10-18-2010, 12:37 PM
Is it possible to link to GMC USB port in new vehicles? Radio says device not supported. Any tips there?

Your question sparked my curiosity even though I don't have a GMC. I searched around and found this in a GMC forum.

"Just in case anyone has an android based phone it will work perfectly with the USB interface in the newer trucks with USB ports. You have to disable usb debugging and set the phone to connect as a data drive. Works just like a USB stick. If you are paired with bluetooth it works fine as well muting the radio and taking the call."

So, just disable USB debugging and make sure you are in USB mass storage mode...bingo

Gh0st
10-19-2010, 12:43 AM
I guess I missed a step in what I do to make music smaller, I've never liked AAC so I've had it on mp3 for so long I forgot.
As part of step 4 (same window) at the top it will say "Import using", change it from AAC to mp3 encoder.
Hope this helps.

jakencks
10-19-2010, 08:53 AM
Tried that, get "Could not connect, unknown device". USB debugging was not on to start with and had tried all modes of connection already. Thanks for the try.

dennyjones
11-04-2010, 09:16 PM
If you want to just stream music, I strongly recommend audio galaxy. I'm able to stream my mp3 files from my desktop to my Dx. Real cool and works great.