PDA

View Full Version : MKV files

lithiasales.js
09-01-2010, 02:12 AM
The MKV files i try to drag over to my sd card wont transfer I always get "The disk in the destination drive is full" but my vard has more then enough space

What could the problem be

Thanks

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

lithiasales.js
09-01-2010, 03:15 AM
Good Game FAT 32 FML

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Backnblack
09-01-2010, 05:15 AM
4gb is the max transfer for a single file IIRC.....

DebianDog
09-01-2010, 06:12 AM
Ah Windows disk formats why wont they go away? Oh yeah compatibility. :(

You should really convert them anyway at that size I would imagine they would be choppy.

Metalheadzaid
09-01-2010, 07:50 AM
One day we'll get some NTFS goodness...one day.

DebianDog
09-01-2010, 09:08 AM
One day we'll get some NTFS goodness...one day.

LOL there is NO goodness in that Good Grief!!!! A standard non Windows filesystem please

Metalheadzaid
09-01-2010, 09:23 AM
LOL there is NO goodness in that Good Grief!!!! A standard non Windows filesystem please
Eh, if it works imo. I really don't see how we could run with non-windows formats in the foreseeable future, as everyone owns a Windows PC.

DebianDog
09-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Eh, if it works imo. I really don't see how we could run with non-windows formats in the foreseeable future, as everyone owns a Windows PC.

Not everyone there are 7% of us "other" ;)
StatCounter Global Stats - Browser, OS, Search Engine including Mobile Market Share (http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-201005-201008)

djuniah
09-01-2010, 04:25 PM
It is possible to put NTFS on an SD card or thumb drive, but it is a HIGHLY INADVISABLE idea. First off, your device wont read it. Besides that, NTFS requires a lot more "little" reads/writes and it wears out the read/write limits of this type of storage MUCH faster than FAT32 does.

EDIT: Also, even playing a ~2GB mkv file on the DX is choppy. If you're looking for HD movie playback, you're better off converting it to MP4 first and using the built in player so that it can use the hardware decoder. Currently, rockplayer (one of the only players that will even look at an MKV on android) can only do software decoding, not hardware, so non-mp4 files are a no-go at the moment. A solid 720P MP4 file is the best you're going to get at the moment.

Metalheadzaid
09-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Not everyone there are 7% of us "other" ;)
StatCounter Global Stats - Browser, OS, Search Engine including Mobile Market Share (http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-201005-201008)
You realize that 6 out of the other % own a windows PC too. Guarantee the linux users also have a dual OS system setup or virtualizing windows =s. Regardless, it's not like proprietary unused formats are a better choice.

It is possible to put NTFS on an SD card or thumb drive, but it is a HIGHLY INADVISABLE idea. First off, your device wont read it. Besides that, NTFS requires a lot more "little" reads/writes and it wears out the read/write limits of this type of storage MUCH faster than FAT32 does.

EDIT: Also, even playing a ~2GB mkv file on the DX is choppy. If you're looking for HD movie playback, you're better off converting it to MP4 first and using the built in player so that it can use the hardware decoder. Currently, rockplayer (one of the only players that will even look at an MKV on android) can only do software decoding, not hardware, so non-mp4 files are a no-go at the moment. A solid 720P MP4 file is the best you're going to get at the moment. No one was saying you should use NTFS, but that would be the next step. In the foreseeable future they'll most likely come up with a customized file system for larger memory cards as like FAT, FAT32 is running into its end of life phase.

Also yes, mp4s are much easier to use on these handheld devices I've found.

DebianDog
09-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Y Regardless, it's not like proprietary unused formats are a better choice.

LOL reread what you wrote. M$ is the PROPRIETARY the other formats are NOT. M$ only need support them ;) M$ dragged it heals on H.264 too since it is an Apple idea. Luckily they finally capitulated.

It not that NTFS is horrible it's licensing/standards/support on other platforms are.

djuniah
09-02-2010, 06:47 AM
Actually, i forget if this was with vista or 7, but ms created the exfat file system recently that is essentially the same thing, but it has large file support.

Metalheadzaid
09-02-2010, 06:49 AM
LOL reread what you wrote. M$ is the PROPRIETARY the other formats are NOT. M$ only need support them ;) M$ dragged it heals on H.264 too since it is an Apple idea. Luckily they finally capitulated.

It not that NTFS is horrible it's licensing/standards/support on other platforms are.
I suppose one could argue that. Which is also why I said they'd most likely develop an open source format that would replace FAT32 on memory cards =s.

Metalheadzaid
09-02-2010, 06:51 AM
Actually, i forget if this was with vista or 7, but ms created the exfat file system recently that is essentially the same thing, but it has large file support.
Editing right as I was correcting your mistake lolzz. I tried to quote to fix the fatx and exfat was in my quote, confuseddd me.

xchrissypoox
09-02-2010, 06:56 AM
To the OP. Take the video into handbrake and set the avg bitrate to between 400 and 800. Leave the resolution at the original resolution use two pass encoding and then you should have a small enough file that still looks good. link to where I learned to convert videos for mine. (http://www.knowyourcell.com/motorola/motorola-droid-x/droid-x-guides/514419/how_to_convert_videos_and_transfer_them_to_the_mot orola_droid_x.html)

djuniah
09-03-2010, 12:35 AM
haha yeah sorry metalhead, i realized the mistake as i posted it. Too much messing around with my original xbox's FS.

DebianDog
09-03-2010, 04:56 AM
To the OP. Take the video into handbrake and set the avg bitrate to between 400 and 800. Leave the resolution at the original resolution use two pass encoding and then you should have a small enough file that still looks good. link to where I learned to convert videos for mine. (http://www.knowyourcell.com/motorola/motorola-droid-x/droid-x-guides/514419/how_to_convert_videos_and_transfer_them_to_the_mot orola_droid_x.html)

That is a good one

lithiasales.js
09-07-2010, 11:36 PM
Actually Handbrake worked great, but still would love the large files on there ;)