PDA

View Full Version : Purchased new Droid X - which is better version to root ?

MartyW
12-13-2014, 09:26 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to Android and this forum. I'm an old computer guy that just purchased a new Droid X to get familiar with it. My wife has had one for a couple years and loves it. I'm replacing my old work Blackberry with the DX.

I'd like to root my DX to do a full system backup. I've read a lot of info on rooting the DX but I'm still not confident enough to do it on my own yet. I've read about eFuse and bricking if rooting is done wrong.

My first question is which is the best version to root? My DX now has the system that I believe is popular to root (4.5.621.MB810.Verizon.en.US), but the latest version has downloaded and wants to install (45.621.10.en.US) . I haven't seen much on rooting the latest 45.621.10 version. So would it be best to root the current version and stick with it or upgrade to the latest version and root that 45.621 version?

Any and all pointers greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Marty

sd_shadow
12-13-2014, 11:09 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to Android and this forum. I'm an old computer guy that just purchased a new Droid X to get familiar with it. My wife has had one for a couple years and loves it. I'm replacing my old work Blackberry with the DX.

I'd like to root my DX to do a full system backup. I've read a lot of info on rooting the DX but I'm still not confident enough to do it on my own yet. I've read about eFuse and bricking if rooting is done wrong.

My first question is which is the best version to root? My DX now has the system that I believe is popular to root (4.5.621.MB810.Verizon.en.US), but the latest version has downloaded and wants to install (45.621.10.en.US) . I haven't seen much on rooting the latest 45.621.10 version. So would it be best to root the current version and stick with it or upgrade to the latest version and root that 45.621 version?

Any and all pointers greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Martyboth can be rooted with Framaroot, takes like 2 secs
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/50098-621-one-click-root-method-device.html

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-general-discussion/50864-2013-sept-update-zip-system-version-45-621-10-verizon-en-us.html

MartyW
12-13-2014, 11:24 PM
Thanks SD_Shadow. I've seen some posts saying to root the current version and then after rooting to rename the new version downloaded files so the system doesn't try to update again. Which do you recommend for rooting?

I've been looking at the Framaroot website. Registration required for download ? I found the link with download by version of Framaroot. Any special version best for this application? Thanks.

sd_shadow
12-13-2014, 11:28 PM
Thanks SD_Shadow. I've seen some posts saying to root the current version and then after rooting to rename the new version downloaded files so the system doesn't try to update again. Which do you recommend for rooting?when 4.5.621 was first pushed, there was no way to root, it does not matter now

I've been looking at the Framaroot website. Registration required for download?No, sign in is not required.

sd_shadow
12-13-2014, 11:31 PM
Use older framaroot version, like 1.62, new ones don't work

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

MartyW
12-13-2014, 11:32 PM
Thanks SD_Shadow I found the direct downloads The latest seems to be 1.9.3, would that be a good one? Thanks.

sd_shadow
12-13-2014, 11:33 PM

MartyW
12-13-2014, 11:35 PM
Thanks SD_Shadow, 1.4.1 it will be.. Many thanks! .

sd_shadow
12-13-2014, 11:37 PM
Also see sd_shadow's [Collection] of Links for: Droid X (MB810) (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QZtlBNvzefJXL1QAM5FJWJWlXHmy4skwmya-XaTM5QE/edit?usp=sharing)

MartyW
12-13-2014, 11:51 PM
Thanks SD_Shadow, I've been looking at some of those links. Many thanks for all your work. I'm proceeding slowly. I think the next thing to do after rooting is to install a new bootstrap? I found this great post you did with a video of installing Framaroot and then following with a modified bootstrap and getting Titanium Backup for the backup. After those I'd like to get Droidwall to minimize data usage by some of the bloatware.
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/51872-thinking-rooting-my-droidx.html

MartyW
12-13-2014, 11:55 PM
Ok, trying to install Framaroot 1.4.1 and a selection comes up for either "Package installer" or " Verify and install". Which is the correct one? Many thanks!

sd_shadow
12-13-2014, 11:56 PM
Either will work, verify is preferred

sd_shadow
12-14-2014, 12:00 AM
Also need to allow unknown sources

MartyW
12-14-2014, 12:27 AM
Ok, Framaroot 1.4.1 installed and rooted ok. Then I downloaded root checker basic from play store. Got normal messages until I said Grant and then got message that system is running slow, root checker wouldn't finish Had to back out of it I hope system is ok.

sd_shadow
12-14-2014, 12:37 AM
Just retry

sd_shadow
12-14-2014, 12:37 AM
Root checker

MartyW
12-14-2014, 12:42 AM
Thanks, system seems ok after getting out of root checker. When I go into supersu I see root checker listed as an app. Does this mean it is still active? I downloaded Titanium Backup and am now trying to figure out how to kick off a full system backup. I'll breathe easier after that is accomplished. Many thanks for your help.

Edit: Got Titanium Backup to work ok, it needed BusyBox to run. Did a full system backup to sd card. Successful. Then downloaded Droidwall that I wanted to use to cull data usage and allow wifi for most of the bloatware. Droidwall loaded ok but still working on how to select apps within Droidwall. Many thanks for your help.

Edit: Got Droidwall to work ok. Just needed reboot. Think I'm good now. Thanks again. Only things I haven't done are the new bootstrap and Nandroid backup. Not sure if I really need those or not.