PDA

View Full Version : Motorola Warns about the leaked Android 2.2 Update

danDroid
08-30-2010, 06:45 PM
http://www.droidforums.net/img/motodroidx-warning1.jpg

Motorola has posted a warning on their support forums today warning users not to proceed with the leaked froyo update that has been floating around for the past few weeks.

WARNING: Do NOT load the leaked 2.2 upgrade that has been floating around on the Internets. There is currently no upgrade path from that load to the official 2.2 load that will be released by early September. Unless you have some plan to flash your phone back to the current official load, you could be stuck on the leaked version.

If you have updated, don't worry the complete step by step guide was created by our friends at RootzWiki for just that situation. To return your Droid X back to a stocker, just follow the link here: RootzWiki - Droid X (http://rootzwiki.com/index.php/Smartphones/Motorola/Droid-X/Droid-X.html). If you have questions, hit us up in the Droid Hack section and we'll be sure to help out: http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/

Did you happen to noticed the mention of early September for the official 2.2 update? Hmmmm.. How does September 6th sound for the new roll out?!

Source: https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/190567#190567

X-tac23
08-30-2010, 07:06 PM
Wow moto ain't playing!! Thanks for the link to get back to stock!!

UnlikelySalsero
08-30-2010, 07:39 PM
Wow moto ain't playing!! Thanks for the link to get back to stock!!

Yea, anybody who could read/follow the instructions for installing the leaked version can follow the instructions to revert to the clean 604 (2.1 stock).

I exchanged 4 (four) LG Eny3 phones due to them shutting off in my pocket... maddening. But I learned something about the phone during each setup process.

When you set up a phone the second/third time, you get a chance to tune the setup again, and the phone gets better and better. The first time you're simply exploring options. The second time you don't remember everything you changed, so you trip over things in during the next setup. By the third time you actually start knowing lots about the phone and start making the most of it.

For people who have updated to the leaked version, it will be slightly more work, but when done they understand more about their phone, and many will make the most of that knowledge as they move forward.

Your mileage may vary.

PS: Thanks for the link to the clean build download/instructions!

eljoker
08-30-2010, 07:42 PM
Well im hoping we can still do the update.zip method but if not then o well im joining Ron over at the I.F.F. then.

didiwags
08-30-2010, 07:44 PM
Yeah hence why I did not dl the leaked version!! I can wait for the offical release and have been waiting!

RanballX
08-30-2010, 07:56 PM
Thought it was pretty cool of Moto to warn of the lack of upgrade path from leaked version and give us folks time to revert back to 2.1 stocker. Easy enough to pop the leaked version on and just as easy to pop it off. No one needs to panic. I do like the sound of Froyo by Sept 6th. Can't wait.

Asharad
08-30-2010, 07:57 PM
Moto=borg
Resistance is futile

hollywood
08-30-2010, 08:04 PM
I kinda suspected that was gonna happen. That's why I take my magical patience pills, and just waited to get the official update. :)

Asharad
08-30-2010, 08:10 PM
patience pills I was patient until this weekend, and then gave in..... :(

JonTx311
08-30-2010, 08:34 PM
I'll just load the Stock OTA update via rom manger when it comes out...

smalltowngirl13
08-30-2010, 08:36 PM
I was patient until this weekend, and then gave in..... :(

Patience is my weakest quality... :)

eric eakin
08-30-2010, 08:56 PM
I kinda suspected that was gonna happen. That's why I take my magical patience pills, and just waited to get the official update. :)

meee too! but i still think im going to crack and give in about mid week haha! ill have run out of pills by then lol! :banana:

RnD_Solo
08-30-2010, 09:11 PM
Wait a minute...

does Motorola REALLY think that we arent gonna figure out a way to get the real deal back on our phones?? CMON MAN...give us a lil credit damn.

06LTNox
08-30-2010, 09:27 PM
Doesn't the D2 have the same hardware as or DXs? Shouldn't of taken a lot of testing to get froyo out for put phones.

Giving us a release date would go along way too.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

RnD_Solo
08-30-2010, 09:34 PM
does the d2 have a stand alone gpu?

Breezer23
08-30-2010, 10:06 PM
This will be the last Motorola Product I buy. First the Locked Bootloader/eFuse and now this crap. I'm not sure what Motorola is protecting but it's rediculous. Just went back to 2.1..

DebianDog
08-30-2010, 10:28 PM
The same people that brought you 2.2 will bring you an OTA update solution. I would bet money.

sphen22
08-30-2010, 10:48 PM
Yeah that will be the easiest way. The day of our the day after the update.zip for the official will be able to be uploadedthe same way the leal was

JonTx311
08-30-2010, 10:48 PM
They will have the OTA update avaliable within a few days of release via ROM manager, so why not just wait since you already have Froyo and upgrade via ROM Manager.

sphen22
08-30-2010, 11:08 PM
I ll download the gingerbread leak too when it comes out. Moto doesn't scare me

validoption
08-30-2010, 11:25 PM
I don't understand why people are praising patience as if they dodged some sort of bullet. The Moto "warning" actually says you need to flash back to 2.1 to get 2.2. It's not saying "2.2 leak users are screwed," just that the official 2.2 won't upgrade the leaked one. It's really a non-issue since the .SBF is still readily available for those who still haven't saved a copy.

And it's actually nice of Moto to say this; it will stem the flood of new topics titled "Why can't I haz official over my leak?" or any derivative thereof.

Sent from my DROIDX

RnD_Solo
08-30-2010, 11:34 PM
i dont see why it wouldnt update..unless the new update is looking for the public key found in 2.1 in order to install...which means we could just put that key in what we have and be good to go. of course, finding that key would prolly take longer than i really wanna think about.

Chewbs
08-30-2010, 11:40 PM
The same people that brought you 2.2 will bring you an OTA update solution. I would bet money.

Yeah I am sure there will eventually be a way to push the official update. We just have to wait things out.

RnD_Solo
08-30-2010, 11:49 PM
yeah, get the sbf from someone at Verizon and flash it with RSD lite..

sboag
08-30-2010, 11:53 PM
This will be the last Motorola Product I buy. First the Locked Bootloader/eFuse and now this crap. I'm not sure what Motorola is protecting but it's rediculous. Just went back to 2.1..

I agree totally. Unless they back down, no more Motorola products for me... Open Source was the whole reason I moved to Android. I should have studied up on the eFuse issue before I bought it. Maybe when that new HTC comes out...

Daybreak
08-31-2010, 12:19 AM
O ye of little faith.

Here we sit with all the tools and toys. Do you think the community here which has brought you root! , themes!, hacks!, root apps! will let us down.

What Motorola is saying, " Hey, all you people that do not understand what your doing... ya gotta be stock 2.1 to get the 2.2 update." OK, sure. The official OTA push will be captured, and ready to download in the forums probably before its pushed to your phone anyway. :)

Droid X Rooted, 2.2 Froyo goodness, rooted apps etc... staying right here.

UnlikelySalsero
08-31-2010, 12:22 AM
I don't understand why people are praising patience as if they dodged some sort of bullet. The Moto "warning" actually says you need to flash back to 2.1 to get 2.2. It's not saying "2.2 leak users are screwed," just that the official 2.2 won't upgrade the leaked one. It's really a non-issue since the .SBF is still readily available for those who still haven't saved a copy.

And it's actually nice of Moto to say this; it will stem the flood of new topics titled "Why can't I haz official over my leak?" or any derivative thereof.

Sent from my DROIDX

I agree... getting back to 2.1 will take around 15 minutes for people who also know how to root their phone (I never rooted). I understand why Moto don't want to deal with updating the leaked version. They will have hundreds or thousands of hours testing the production (stock) 2.1 to 2.2 update. When you update from another build, it will have it's own set of issues.

I updated to the leaked version, I knew there were some risks, and going back to 2.1 isn't a big deal before doing the OTA 2.2.

I'd feel differently if it was going to brick my phone... now it's just some extra effort, but not huge amounts...

BOWIE
08-31-2010, 12:28 AM
Unless they back down, no more Motorola products for me... ...
LOL, I don't think they'll be losing any sleep...

Asharad
08-31-2010, 05:09 AM
The only thing that really bothers me is that I'll lose my customizations when I revert to 2.1, and I'll have to rebuild them. Oh well, I knew that was likely when i installed the leak.

crkkes
08-31-2010, 08:29 AM
all is fair in love and ....DROID

givvy
08-31-2010, 08:37 AM
I'm just hoping the community develops/discovers a method of reverting OR a method of updating that doesn't require the awesome wiping power of a factory reset. I have a Gameloft game that I really don't really want to spend ANOTHER 5 dollars on replacing. Plus it's not all the fun to sit down and make a list of everything your going to lose and have to restore it all. I at least always seem to forget SOMETHING.

I guess it could just be the price we pay for riding the bleeding edge...

kejar31
08-31-2010, 08:39 AM
Just relax people. We will get a version of the OTA pre-rooted and ready to install over rom-manager just like we got the leaked one. I will not give up root, themes and tools (such as rom-manager) just to get an official version of the OTA a few days earlier.

DebianDog
08-31-2010, 08:48 AM
Exactly, unless you are totally not happy with your current 2.2 you will get an update... somehow.

Even if you can't get the update (for some odd reason). The steps to go back to 2.1 do not change and it is only a question of if you do it now or later.

iridium7777
08-31-2010, 09:34 AM
long run, *if* for whatever reason the sbf way doesn't work, do i really care if i'm stuck in this version?

my phone is rooted, has everything i want on it, in perfect working condition, battery lasted from 5pm on friday to 5pm on sunday with video playing, psx, internet, etc. etc.

what's the worst that happens? in 2 years flash 10.1 doesn't work anymore (that's assuming that flash can't be updated as a stand-alone)? in 2 years i'll probably have a new phone anyways. i actually think i'm staying, not worth it enough for me to fuss with the sbf, and take a chance on root on the new 2.2 and also hope the functions that i have *right now* will work on the new 2.2.

drone46
08-31-2010, 11:10 AM
I am taking this as Moto being semi cool and letting us know that we need to flash back down to 2.1 before trying to download the official 2.2. My only real gripe is that as far as I can tell, those of us that installed the "leaked" 2.2 are basically beta testing it for Moto. We are the people who really support your product, why make our lives harder?

justin82
08-31-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm just hoping the community develops/discovers a method of reverting OR a method of updating that doesn't require the awesome wiping power of a factory reset. I have a Gameloft game that I really don't really want to spend ANOTHER 5 dollars on replacing. Plus it's not all the fun to sit down and make a list of everything your going to lose and have to restore it all. I at least always seem to forget SOMETHING.

You should not have to buy the game again.. all paid apps go through your gmail account.. also titanium backup..(assuming this works on X)

drone46
08-31-2010, 11:33 AM

You shouldn't have to pay for apps again regardless. If you already paid for it, you should be able to install it again right?

givvy
08-31-2010, 11:37 AM
You should not have to buy the game again.. all paid apps go through your gmail account.. also titanium backup..(assuming this works on X)

You shouldn't have to pay for apps again regardless. If you already paid for it, you should be able to install it again right?
Your right but the GameLoft stuff, is something you purchase from their site and they send you a download link that is only usable once. Or something along those lines, it is definitely not Moto's fault, it just sucks.

PhDCow
08-31-2010, 11:38 AM
Kind of a moot point now since I killed my X, but I had updated without rooting. So if my phone were still alive, would I have needed to then root in order to go back to the 2.1? Just something to think about.

justin82
08-31-2010, 11:51 AM
Your right but the GameLoft stuff, is something you purchase from their site and they send you a download link that is only usable once. Or something along those lines, it is definitely not Moto's fault, it just sucks.

oh i see.. you think you would have an account set up there.. o well..

phimuskapsi
08-31-2010, 11:51 AM
Kind of a moot point now since I killed my X, but I had updated without rooting. So if my phone were still alive, would I have needed to then root in order to go back to the 2.1? Just something to think about.

Nope. That's what "The Gift" is for. To go to 2.1 with or without root. It's a failsafe. Do you lose all data/apps? Yep. Invest in a backup program. It's worth it. Or make nandroid backups.

You can contact their support team and they will USUALLY give you another link

long run, *if* for whatever reason the sbf way doesn't work, do i really care if i'm stuck in this version?

my phone is rooted, has everything i want on it, in perfect working condition, battery lasted from 5pm on friday to 5pm on sunday with video playing, psx, internet, etc. etc.

what's the worst that happens? in 2 years flash 10.1 doesn't work anymore (that's assuming that flash can't be updated as a stand-alone)? in 2 years i'll probably have a new phone anyways. i actually think i'm staying, not worth it enough for me to fuss with the sbf, and take a chance on root on the new 2.2 and also hope the functions that i have *right now* will work on the new 2.2.

SBF Works with 2.2 when it's deodexed, rooted, whatever. Doesn't matter. I've done this 3 times since last week! (Dangers of theming)
You WILL want to update. The Leaked 2.2 ROM is buggy as hell as not just me but others have reported FC's and a variety of other issues.

So...no real risk, especially if you have a 3rd party backup app like titanium or something

firemcd
08-31-2010, 12:20 PM
[Delete post please-firemcd]

UnlikelySalsero
08-31-2010, 12:43 PM
Hey,

Good time for me to learn some things.

I'm a long time software developer, but fairly young to Android and smartphones (3 months now). I have no idea about the better backup programs for the phone.

QUESTIONS:

How much of my current 2.2 config can be handled by the various backup programs?
Which backup programs do you like/recommend?

I obviously don't want to restore any of the OS, just the apps/customizations.

All suggestions welcomed!!!

DETAILS of my situation for those who care:

I'm on 2.2 leaked right now and I was just planning on flashing back to 2.1 AFTER I know the official OTA 2.2 update is available (via "the gift", which I downloaded last night). After the OTA update does it's thing, I was simply going to manually re-setup all my free apps, shortcuts, home screens etc.

That doesn't ruin my day because I have had great experiences on PCs after rebuilding machines. It's a PITA doing it sometimes, but I've always had better machines longer term because of what I learned during the rebuilds... I never learn much until something doesn't work...

The process of setting up again allows me to tune things from a fresh perspective, and I learn.

All input welcomed!!!

UPDATE: I found aTrackDog which cataloged all my downloaded apps (free and paid) and sent them to my Google e-mail. (That made me realize a couple of my apps DO have data I need to save before I wipe...)

I read about an app that can back up txt messages to Google mail, but I'll probably first delete most threads since the messages are just "OK... I'll see you at 6:30 instead of 6:15..." (My life isn't that interesting most of the time...)

I would like to find something that can backup home screen layouts, but I prefer not to root. (I'm not rooted now, doubt I will after the update...)

DebianDog
08-31-2010, 01:59 PM
QUESTIONS:

How much of my current 2.2 config can be handled by the various backup programs?

I obviously don't want to restore any of the OS, just the apps/customizations.

Titanium Backup Pro will get you 98% there (all user apps and data) but you need to get root first, the real trick.
the other 2% is lost like recent callers, if you do not record your SMS messages somewhere that history is gone.

If you have Launcher Pro that will restore all your screens (minus widgets) as one of its features.

Asharad
08-31-2010, 05:58 PM
Moto needs to give me a more compelling reason to give up my rooted 2.2. Maybe I want to be stuck with it?

alershka
08-31-2010, 06:53 PM
I came from a Blackberry where every few weeks, I'd flash the latest and greatest hybrid to my phone. That typically meant a loss of some data as Blackberry's were a pita to get 3rd party apps data off of. This is a non issue. I'm happy with the leak and I firmly believe that the community will get the update out to us. I'm not losing any sleep over this.

luv2increase
08-31-2010, 07:57 PM
@ phimuskapsi

Doing an SBF Flash does not cause you do lose all data and apps.

BoneZ
08-31-2010, 08:18 PM
I, too, am keeping the leak. I'm not losing root. I'm having zero issues so far with my leaked 2.2, so it stays until the official one can be rooted and then put on our phones.

iridium7777
08-31-2010, 08:37 PM
I, too, am keeping the leak. I'm not losing root. I'm having zero issues so far with my leaked 2.2, so it stays until the official one can be rooted and then put on our phones.

+1, i must not be 311t3 enough because i haven't hit a single bug on my rooted 2.2 yet. so as i said before, unless flash can't be updated as a stand alone, i have 0 reasons right now to move my phone to "official" 2.2.

incidentally, i do have titanium backup, and when i create a backup, it creates a folder with about 150+ files in it and i can also create a .zip file. is the folder with the 150 files what i would load back onto my 2.1 phone and that would re-install all my current apps?

iridium7777
08-31-2010, 08:39 PM
@ phimuskapsi

Doing an SBF Flash does not cause you do lose all data and apps.

no, but then you have to clear all your cache and do a factory wipe... so that would lose it, no?

eljoker
08-31-2010, 09:53 PM
The real question is will this 2.2 hinder us from upgrading to 3.0?

UnlikelySalsero
09-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Hey,

Good time for me to learn some things.
<snip>
QUESTIONS:

UPDATE: I found aTrackDog which cataloged all my downloaded apps (free and paid) and sent them to my Google e-mail. (That made me realize a couple of my apps DO have data I need to save before I wipe...)

I don't usually quote myself in a reply, but I snipped out as much as possible and this is a follow-up...

I've been checking out backup options, and it looks like "MyBackup Pro (http://www.rerware.com/Android/)" is worth checking out. (I'm not rooted, and this program doesn't require rooting.)

They have a 30 day free version, and so I'll try it and then if it works, pay the $5 and keep the program.

It will save me some time, and if it works it would be nice to have in case I lose, drop or throw my phone in a pool.

I'll report back after I use it so others can decide if it's a decent solution for them. I won't know if it totally works until the OTA is available and I've flashed back to 2.1, then upgraded, but I'll download the program today.

I'm going to post something in the "Apps" section to get feedback from others on the program.

Any feedback is appreciated.

UnlikelySalsero
09-01-2010, 02:52 PM
no, but then you have to clear all your cache and do a factory wipe... so that would lose it, no?

I'm also assuming a factory wipe would lose data/apps.

Questions:
What happens to SD card data when you clear cache/factory wipe?

Variations on same question:

If I have backup info on my SD card before SBF flash/reset, what happens to that data?
If it gets wiped, I suspect I could copy any folders I want to a PC before the flash? (and copy back afterward?)

I'm primarily thinking of this in a backup scenario, where I have the backup stored to SD card. (Other options are available.)

DebianDog
09-01-2010, 03:10 PM
Answer: The only way to wipe data on your SD card is to

Format it
Delete it yourself

Going from 2.1 to 2.2. and vice versa I restored all my apps from my SD card via Titanium Backup. Note if you do not RETAIN ROOT this is not a good solution.

UnlikelySalsero
09-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Answer: The only way to wipe data on your SD card is to

Format it
Delete it yourself

Going from 2.1 to 2.2. and vice versa I restored all my apps from my SD card via Titanium Backup. Note if you do not RETAIN ROOT this is not a good solution.

Cool... this means if MyBackup Pro saves backup data to SD card, it should be there after the revert. They also have an option to save backup to their servers, I suspect I'll do both short term, and back up my SD card data to my PC before reverting. (Belt and suspenders approach.)

I've worked with PCs for 20 years and lost way more data from my mistakes than anything else, an extra copy or two never hurts when doing major restores.

DebianDog
09-01-2010, 03:29 PM
I've worked with PCs for 20 years and lost way more data from my mistakes than anything else, an extra copy or two never hurts when doing major restores.

I hear you sir! 20+ years here too. I use rsync from my Mac to backup the SD card.... JUST in case ;)

FunkUSMCRet
09-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Wait a minute...

does Motorola REALLY think that we arent gonna figure out a way to get the real deal back on our phones?? CMON MAN...give us a lil credit damn.

I was thinking the same thing. While I'm fairly schooled (now) on how to easily revert back to 2.1, I think I'll just wait around for a few weeks until we figure out a way around their foolish attempts at keeping us from getting whatever they end up pushing ota.

rkor
09-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Is there any way to block the ota update? I like the froyo that I have and several devs are already making roms.. I also don't want to deal with all the crap of going back to 2.1

UnlikelySalsero
09-01-2010, 06:21 PM
<snip> I think I'll just wait around for a few weeks until we figure out a way around their foolish attempts at keeping us from getting whatever they end up pushing ota.

I don't think they are being foolish at all.

Look at the issues HTC users had. Moto/Verizon will have bugs/issues with the stock 2.1 upgrade to 2.2. There are thousands of moving parts, plus all the apps out there...

They've also had months to test the upgrade against the 2.1 versions, but only a couple weeks to test against the leaked version.

From what I can see, the upgrade doesn't start from scratch. The 2.1 update.zip (leaked) is ~67MB, the SBF file to revert to 2.1 is over 200 MB (the_gift). That implies 2.2 is an UPDATE, not a complete OS install from scratch. That also means Moto has to assume existing files are specific versions, so they include the right patches/updates.

It's a support nightmare to support the leaked version to production 2.2 update.

Instead of wasting their time worried about the few of us who decided to update to the leaked version (me included), I hope they are fixing bugs and working on enhancing 2.2. There's tons of room for improvement and we all know behind the scenes they have known bugs that are in the 2.2 build. Work on fixing them and get them to us sooner.

Of course lots of smart people on this forum will figure out how to make the 2.2 leaked to 2.2 production transition, but Moto shouldn't spend their time supporting it. A complete waste of dev/support resources that can be directed for more good for a larger community of users.

I'm happier going back to 2.1 with a clean build and moving through their install process. Then if something goes wrong it's their issue. If I start with the leaked version and something doesn't work, they start pointing fingers at me... (as they should...)

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see them having ANY responsibility to support my install/update of the leaked build.

rkor
09-01-2010, 06:21 PM
I seriously doubt that the froyo will be that great.... It took verizon and motorola 2 updates to get froyo to work on the droid.. And I haven'thad any problems that other people have had

iridium7777
09-02-2010, 07:36 AM
just wanted to give people a tip in case someone runs into an issue that i discovered running windows 32bit while doing the sbf flash. if you have the newer motorola driver (4.6.5) the rsd lite would not discover my phone. it won't let you load the drivers in the file because they're older. you must manually uninstall the 4.6.5 driver and load the 4.6.0 from the gift, then re-load rsd lite and your phone will be discoverable.

side note: i'm pretty sure i needed 4.6.5 to get root through adb once i installed the leaked froyo. i just tested the adb shell with 4.6.0 driver installed and everything works ok, so no need to go back to 4.6.5 for now.

Padron26
09-05-2010, 10:33 PM
im sure there are alot of people excited about the update to be here on the 6th, my question is where did you see that it was gonna be released on the 6th.
i only seen that it was supposed to be released, early September

mightyjohn
09-05-2010, 10:36 PM
Same here. I have only seen/read early September. I have seen nothing saying anything about the 6th.

Asharad
09-05-2010, 11:02 PM
6th is a holiday

gehx
09-06-2010, 12:37 AM
6th is a holiday

lmao!!! scratch that idea, releasing software of any kind on a holiday is a big no no, it has the potential of being a support cluster****! ;)

didiwags
09-06-2010, 12:44 AM
lmao!!! scratch that idea, releasing software of any kind on a holiday is a big no no, it has the potential of being a support cluster****! ;)

haha I was just thinking ppl probably started that rumor since it is the first day of the second week in Sept. and did not even think about Holidays!!!

Next! lol

Padron26
09-06-2010, 07:28 PM
I just started to get excited....when i went in to see if the update was available.
it said "Checking for available update....please wait" this took about a min. to do and then it said.
"Check for update was not available at this time, try again latter.