PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading the RAM - probably a simple question or three

AgnosticAnarch
08-30-2010, 10:06 AM
I was thinking about upgrading from the standard 16Gb microSD to a 32Gb microSD soon. I have already installed a bunch of apps and put a lot of music on my phone.

Will this be as simple as copying everything from one card to another?

What is the best and/or easiest process for moving everything to another card?

Also, I have read that the cards are hot-swappable (after unmounting, of course) and was wondering if anyone does that very often and why. Do you have a massive music/movie collection that you're swapping out? Can you have apps installed on one card that you remove to have apps on a different card?

~AA

Backnblack
08-30-2010, 10:07 AM
Just copy from your SD to your PC then to your new SD...

You can't even remove the card without taking the battery out.

AgnosticAnarch
08-30-2010, 10:25 AM
I could've swore I read it was hot-swappable before. If you have to turn off the phone and remove the battery, that is _definitely_ NOT hot-swappable!

Backnblack
08-30-2010, 10:32 AM
I like to know where you read that at....

eljoker
08-30-2010, 11:27 AM
Thats not RAM buddy, but like backnblack said copy and paste.

Metalheadzaid
08-30-2010, 12:00 PM
I was thinking about upgrading from the standard 16Gb microSD to a 32Gb microSD soon. I have already installed a bunch of apps and put a lot of music on my phone.

Will this be as simple as copying everything from one card to another?

What is the best and/or easiest process for moving everything to another card?

Also, I have read that the cards are hot-swappable (after unmounting, of course) and was wondering if anyone does that very often and why. Do you have a massive music/movie collection that you're swapping out? Can you have apps installed on one card that you remove to have apps on a different card?

~AA
As was said, copy paste from your sd card (not ram) to your pc and then to the new card. Pretty much the same thing you did in the first place.

hollywood
08-30-2010, 12:07 PM
I could've swore I read it was hot-swappable before. If you have to turn off the phone and remove the battery, that is _definitely_ NOT hot-swappable!

It IS hot-swappable.... But the battery is in the way of the removal process, so the only way to get it out (that's what she said) is to power off the phone, remove the battery, and then slide the SD card out. Hope that helps! :)

iDr0id
08-30-2010, 03:50 PM
what kind of idiot makes a phone hot swapable, but makes you have to remove the battery in order to swap the cards. LAWL

Metalheadzaid
08-31-2010, 06:13 AM
what kind of idiot makes a phone hot swapable, but makes you have to remove the battery in order to swap the cards. LAWL
No one made the phone hot swappable. ALL memory cards are hot swappable. However, ours is just blocked - and it really doesn't matter. They pretty much expect you to not have to move the card out of the phone very often - and to be honest, I can't see why you would need to except to replace it.

AgnosticAnarch
08-31-2010, 09:17 AM
I guess it would be hot-swappable if you were running power from the USB connection. You could remove the battery, unmount the SD card, remove the card, put in a new card, mount the new card, and replace the battery. But it does sound like more trouble than it's worth.

Teamflail
09-07-2010, 05:29 PM
I guess it would be hot-swappable if you were running power from the USB connection. You could remove the battery, unmount the SD card, remove the card, put in a new card, mount the new card, and replace the battery. But it does sound like more trouble than it's worth.

I wonder if the device would power off if you removed the battery while it was plugged into the charger? Guess I could try instead of asking but listening to Slacker and don't want to power down right now!! LOL

fraggy4
09-07-2010, 09:33 PM
It does power off, I've tried this :/