PDA

View Full Version : 2.2 Update on Rooted DX?

rolltide
08-29-2010, 12:07 PM
When the 2.2 OTA update is pushed out will phones that have are rooted receive the update? And once they receive them will they remain rooted?

I'm really not sure what all 2.2 will provide but if it has the copy/paste from email capability I definitely need it.
EDIT: AND FLASH OF COURSE.. DUH! But that brings me to another question - any idea if Dolphin HD will support Flash when I get 2.2 on here?

newdroidx
08-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Im also wondering the same exact thing....... and yes dolphin will work great. I have the leaked 2.2 and I use dolphin hd, works perfect for me:)

smalltowngirl13
08-29-2010, 01:15 PM
If you are just rooted, yes you will be notified of the OTA & most likely loose root. If you have upgraded to 2.2, you may or may not get the OTA based on build (if this is wrong, someone please correct me).

DolphinHD works great & there is copy & paste with Gmail in 2.2 - I am not sure on the other email accts as I only use that one.

Sent from my Droid X

rolltide
08-29-2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks SmallTownGirl.. You always seem to have the answers. So you mention that if you have upgraded to 2.2 you may or may not receive the OTA update. Two questions there: 1. if you've already upgrade to 2.2 why would you wan the OTA update? And 2. how can I go about getting 2.2 now that I'm rooted?

smalltowngirl13
08-29-2010, 01:50 PM
The OTA will be a more stable build...think of it as the leak version is beta & the final build is the finished product.

Sent from my Droid X

minderasr
08-29-2010, 03:38 PM
So what can we do to preserve root when Froyo is rolled out for the DX?

Bryan
08-29-2010, 06:55 PM
OK, so when is the 2.2 update suppose to be out and do you just down load it from your phone?

rolltide
08-29-2010, 07:24 PM
OK, so when is the 2.2 update suppose to be out and do you just down load it from your phone?

Sometime in September. And yes, it's Over-the-Air (OTA) as far as I know.

smalltowngirl13
08-29-2010, 07:30 PM
Sometime in September. And yes, it's Over-the-Air (OTA) as far as I know.

This is correct - you will receive a pop-up box notifying you of the update and prompting you to install. If your battery level is low or your signal is weak, you can possibly get an error msg stating it cannot be completed at that time...it is recommended that your battery be charged and that you are connected to wifi if possible...you can also check for manual updates by going into the phone's settings - about phone - check for updates.

USCJoel
08-29-2010, 08:11 PM
So what can we do to preserve root when Froyo is rolled out for the DX?

You cant do anything to preserve it...2.2 is a different build so it will have to be rooted again (which I believe has already been done).

You will just simply have to re-root.

psychotic_penguin
08-29-2010, 08:28 PM
I was under the impression that the OTA will be blocked by the current ROM?

Techitrucker
08-29-2010, 08:40 PM
When the 2.2 OTA update is pushed out will phones that have are rooted receive the update? And once they receive them will they remain rooted?

I'm really not sure what all 2.2 will provide but if it has the copy/paste from email capability I definitely need it.
EDIT: AND FLASH OF COURSE.. DUH! But that brings me to another question - any idea if Dolphin HD will support Flash when I get 2.2 on here?

Yes, Dolphin HD supports Flash. Works very well actually.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Abe21599
08-29-2010, 10:02 PM

what ROM do you have?

USCJoel
08-29-2010, 10:48 PM

...there are no ROMs on the DX yet due to the bootloader issue.