PDA

View Full Version : [How to] Getting a DVD on your Droid X - The free way

DebianDog
08-29-2010, 07:17 AM
This was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. Cost to you = $0

What you will need:
HandBrake (http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php) - (Works with Windows, Mac and Linux)
VideoLAN - VLC media player - Open Source Multimedia Framework and Player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) - (Again versions for Windows, Mac and Linux)

Handbrake essentially "plays" the DVD with VLC so you are not breaking any encryption rules or anything like that.

Stick the DVD in your computer find the VOB file for your language (English is usually labeled with a "1" and the file will usually be the largest on the disk)
Alter the settings to export MKV - (see attached) I used and average bitrate of 1300 because that is what the Droid uses to record so that guarantees no stuttering. This will also make the file around 1 meg per minute of video.
Export
Wait
Copy the resulting MKV file to your Droid

The only issue I have found is that the default player does not seem to play the audio if it was recorded with Surround Sound (see audio settings before export). If you forgot to change it or do not feel like messing with it RockPlayer (http://rockplayer.freecoder.org/index_en.html) seems to not have any problem playing it.

Backnblack
08-29-2010, 07:31 AM
I know it's $10 but DVDCatalyst 3 blows handbrake away....

DebianDog
08-29-2010, 07:37 AM
i know it's $10 but dvdcatalyst 3 blows handbrake away....

not for me ;)

runs on windows
2000, xp, 2003, vista, 7
32bit and 64bit

Say no to Windows

Garemlin
08-29-2010, 07:49 AM
I know it's $10 but DVDCatalyst 3 blows handbrake away....

Gotta agree. Finally paid for it and it is so much easier to use than Handbrake or Videora that I was previously using.

Backnblack
08-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Any talk of how to get apps or programs for free is not allowed on DXF.
Links to such are not allowed as well.
Consider this the only warning.

aatonytone
08-30-2010, 05:15 AM
man back n black whines about everything on these fourms!! something but be up ur rear end, u should probably get that out at anytime!! u might be a happier person in life! its a fourm not a consentration camp!!! people are just trying to help other people out!!!

Backnblack
08-30-2010, 05:24 AM
man back n black whines about everything on these fourms!! something but be up ur rear end, u should probably get that out at anytime!! u might be a happier person in life! its a fourm not a consentration camp!!! people are just trying to help other people out!!!

Sorry, Want to post warez? Get your own Forum.

DebianDog
08-30-2010, 05:51 AM
LOL. When you are young you don't worry about "liable".

movadoevo8
08-30-2010, 06:47 AM
Any talk of how to get apps or programs for free is not allowed on DXF.
Links to such are not allowed as well.
Consider this the only warning.

Black handbrake is a legit shareware software so is VLC player.
Also someone like me a movie lover by law im allowed to burn n stick it on my phone since I burn my own dvds that I have paid for and own.

I think the OP was trying to give a tutorial on how to achieve this task by using shareware/freeware software?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

DebianDog
08-30-2010, 07:13 AM
No links to warez sites were posted later in the thread. This thread got way off track. I was "HOPING" people would post up there Handbrake setting or other good solutions.

Backnblack
08-30-2010, 07:44 AM
No links to warez sites were posted later in the thread. This thread got way off track.

Not off track??....On the 2 posts I deleted...

One was a site for Free Movies that were still in the theaters and the other was about getting DVD Catalyst for Free, It's a paid app.

So both of those posts needed deleted.

garath
08-30-2010, 07:58 AM
DVD Catalyst is pretty darn good. It takes a lot of the guesswork out of the process. Open DVD catalyst, choose your device (Droid HQ works great for DroidX), pop in the DVD, DVD catalyst automatically scans it, check the tracks you want, hit Go. It really is that simple.

With an older DVD drive I do have some difficulties with the multi-layered DVDs cutting off the tracks but doing them one at a time as opposed to a batch generally works. On the FAQ it's suggested that if I had a better DVD drive (like a burner) it would work better. I've already done half a dozen movies, 2 seasons worth of TV shows and even some shows off my TivoHD.

DebianDog
08-30-2010, 09:28 AM

One was a site for Free Movies that were still in the theaters and the other was about getting DVD Catalyst for Free, It's a paid app.

I 100% agree.

movadoevo8
08-30-2010, 09:36 AM

Oh I didn't see those 2 POSTS lol I thought you were talking about the OP :) my apologies.

Guys he is right as long as it's freeware/shareware it's ok, but once you start posting links to apps that should be paid and are being pirated or free movies download weather they are out in the theater or came out 10 years ago links should not be posted on here. Droidxforums can get into trouble, because of such posts. It's simple if you own a certain DVD you can go ahead and burn it and send it to your SD CARD as long as you paid for the DVD or OWN it and have a legit burbing/converting software aka paid or shareware.

For those who don't like to pay for stuff there is always google, but i strongly recommend supporting the developers and the movie industry.

DebianDog
09-30-2010, 08:34 AM
Updated bitrate for 2.2

dvdcatalyst
10-01-2010, 09:34 AM
You might want to add something to your guide for Windows-users to avoid numerous questions in this thread.

For Windows computers, VLC is not used by Handbrake for handling DVDs, which means you have to use additional software such as AnyDVD (not free) to handle it. FOr MAC and Linux, it does work though.

rqballjh
12-08-2010, 08:41 PM
You might want to add something to your guide for Windows-users to avoid numerous questions in this thread.

For Windows computers, VLC is not used by Handbrake for handling DVDs, which means you have to use additional software such as AnyDVD (not free) to handle it. FOr MAC and Linux, it does work though.

I tried DVDcatalyst free but on a movie it said was 800m it created an mp4 that 6m, and just showed black when itried to play in dows and on the x. Any ideas?

dvdcatalyst
12-08-2010, 11:16 PM
Please try a different DVD or file, and see if that works better for you.

Something clearly went wrong with the conversion if the size estimate is 800MB and the resulting file is 6MB.

DVD Catalyst Free work fine with most files and DVDs, but without knowing what movie, either DVD or video file and if it is a video file, what kind of video file, its a bit hard to guess what happened.

rqballjh
12-09-2010, 09:15 AM
I don't have the movie with me, but it was From Paris with Love, with Travolta

dvdcatalyst
12-09-2010, 10:01 AM
That one should work, but maybe try a different one and see if that works for you, or try the DVD with the DVD Catalyst 4 trial version.

rqballjh
12-09-2010, 11:05 AM
How long is the trial version good for, or does it only do a portion of the movie?

Also, when I did the free one, I only had checked what the software checked, the other 5 or so items weren't checked. Would that matter?

dvdcatalyst
12-09-2010, 11:09 AM
DVD Catalyst 4 Trial converts 1/4 th of the movie, so for a 2 hour DVD, you end up with a file of about half an hour. DC4 has some additional methods it uses to access the DVD (which is also why it can convert DVDs a bit faster) which makes it work with more DVDs than DVD Catalyst Free.

The additional checkmarks during DVD Catalyst Free's install are shortcuts. As long as you have the main section (first one) enabled, it has everything it needs.

rqballjh
12-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Ok, I'll try later today with 4, will you be on for assistance then as well? If 4 works I'll definitely buy it.

On the free one, I have no idea if the 'first' one was selected or not, as you stated above, I left whatever was defaulted checked............

dvdcatalyst
12-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Just shoot me an email when you need me (dvdcatalyst at gmail dot com). I have instant notification for those, and answer emails until I get to bed. (DVD Catalyst 4 has an "email us" button which makers it easier)
If the free one actually displayed itself when you ran it, it is working :)

fsyemogushi
12-17-2010, 01:17 AM
So I've got AnyDVD running in the background, and I've tried to convert Star Trek using DVD Catalyst 4 trial and now using 3 trial. When I tried to play the converted file on the X it gave me an error file cannot be displayed or played. I tried cloneDVD mobile, but kept gettin errors when trying to convert the file. I've also tried using my digital copy but that didn't work either. The x said the license was expired and then wouldn't play, gave me same error as the mp4 conversion. I'm trying to run it off the gallery player, and I've put the file in the video folder on the SD card. I've pretty much tried every option I've seen on the forums and so far nothing has worked. I'm trying handbrake right now but I'm not too hopeful. So I'm pretty much at wit's end with this process. It really shouldn't be this hard! grrrrrrrrr....

dvdcatalyst
12-17-2010, 09:50 AM
When you try and play the files on your computer (using Quicktime for example) does it play?

Some people have reported issues that if they play one bad file, previously working files dont play anymore either unless you perform a battery pull.
Overclocking can also affect video playback.

Try a battery-pull and see if that helps.
ALso try downloading/streaming one of the trailers from the link in my signature and see if they play (they should)

fsyemogushi
12-17-2010, 10:29 AM
Well the only not stock thing I'm doing atm with the phone is running ADW launcher, no overclocking, no rooting. I tried the battery-pull and that did nothing for the video problems. I can view the trailers, although it is taking for ever to buffer. But when I download and unzip on the computer and transfer them over to the phone they play great. I guess I'm doing something wrong with the catalyst trial programs. Perhaps I'll peruse the catalyst FAQs more closely.

fsyemogushi
12-17-2010, 07:03 PM
Well it seems like I was able to do it finally through handbrake, and also through Catalyst 3 trial. So I don't know what went wrong with the one I did in Catalyst 4 trial but all's well. Thanks for the help.