PDA

View Full Version : A couple of weird problems.

shasta54
08-06-2013, 08:00 PM
Hi guys. I'm loving this old Droid more the more I use it. I have a couple of weird problems, though. Every once in a while all my soft control buttons (dialpad, contacts, browser etc.) just disappear. I have to reboot the phone to get them back. This happened after a car accident and I couldn't call 911 until my phone rebooted. I am rooted and have Cyanogenmod 7 (Pooka's). Any ideas? Also, I keep getting a weird text message over and over. I had 2 identical ones this morning. They seemed to have started months ago when I had MIUI installed, so it has nothing to do with CM7. Here is a screenshot of one. 28133
Any idea where these are coming from or how to decipher or stop them? Thanks.

fezrock
08-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Try going into recovery and reflashing cm7. Wipe cache and dalvik cache, then flash rom/gapps. reboot. It won't affect your data if you don't wipe it.

As for the texts, I don't know, but someone else probably will.

sd_shadow
08-06-2013, 10:45 PM
I have gotten texts like that, 6 or so times.hope they were not important, because i never checked my bill to see if they came from a number I know.
my guess is that
1. the text was corrupted by the rom
2. the text was corrupted by Verizon
3. the text was corrupted in transfer from one carrier to Verizon
4. the text was corrupted by senders phone
5. text was in sent in another language, like chinese

jeems
08-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Usually those are part of the emergency broadcast system. There is at least one and probably multiple threads around here about it. Something that is supposed to translate it in the stock rom isn't in most (all?) other roms so it comes through as a garbled text. If you have any friends locally who aren't on rooted phones they probably got texts around the same time.

If what fez said doesn't work I'd try another rom or just a completely clean reflash of CM7 (doing all wipes). Just make sure you back everything up!

kyonxharuhi2
08-09-2013, 12:41 AM
i gto those texts a couple times and funny thing is i dont and never have had service on my dx its a wifi phone its weird and creepy

shasta54
08-09-2013, 02:00 AM
Thanks, fezrock. I thought of that but didn't exactly know how to reset the rom without losing everything. I will follow your instructions. As for the texts, I think jeems and sd_shadow are both right. We had a child kidnapper go through our area and my friend whose droid x is on stock got a horrible noise and two identical Amber Alert texts on his phone about the time I got these texts. (This is new and wait until you get one. His phone was in the living room and it scared the hell out of me.) It must be something in the rom that corrupted it or couldn't translate it on my phone. Thanks, guys. I still love this phone and I'm learning all the time. We just got our wifi speed increased and I just finally figured out how to install Adobe flash on it. It gets better all the time.

jeems
08-09-2013, 10:24 AM
i gto those texts a couple times and funny thing is i dont and never have had service on my dx its a wifi phone its weird and creepy

Interesting you get the texts; it probably doesn't care about cell service. Your phone can also call 911 even if you don't have a cell plan so it is certainly plausible emergency texts go through.

DroidlynnXDoes
08-10-2013, 10:40 PM
I had the same thing happen with my X

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2