PDA

View Full Version : Qeustion regarding flashing a new rom..on .621?

yamahammer342
05-23-2013, 01:48 PM
Hi

I have been reading around the forums a lot, and there is a boat load of information on here. I am confused by some of it. I am wanting to flash a new rom, probably apex or vortex, but I am running 2.3.4 .621. I know how to root using the new easier methods, but do I need to first sbf to .602 or .604 before, so I can flash a rom? This thread http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-general-discussion/45783-important-info-621-update.html says if you take .621 you cant revert, but also says if you rooted .621 "You can effectively flash ANY Gingerbread-based ROM". I just need to know what the best coarse of action is if I want to flash apex or vortex.

sd_shadow
05-23-2013, 02:10 PM
you can and should stay on 621, milestone 604, was used when no root method for 621 had been found yet

follow

Just a quick taste of what you need or want before flashing.

What You'll Need

-Root Access
-Know your System Version (Settings>About Phone)
-Titanium Backup (A pro Key isn't needed but I recommend one)
-Bookmark Backup
-Droid 2 Bootstrap
-3Gigs free space on your SD card (estimate).
-A Rom of your Choice:

--Liberty is a great rom. Especially for someone who is new to this whole process, as you can put whatever Blur you want back in!
--MIUI is an excellent rom. It offers SUPERB customization, a beautiful interface, and awesome themes!
--CyanogenMod is another excellent choice. It offers superb customization on top of an AOSP experience.
--Any other Rom that is running on your System Version (Settings>About Phone).

Before We Flash

- Root your phone using the above link as a guide. (It's as simple as downloading a small program on your computer and plugging your phone in.)

- Install all of the applications Above.

- Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery using Droid 2 Bootstrap. Press: "Bootstrap Recovery" (if a SuperUser permission request pops up, accept it) and then "Reboot Recovery."

- Navigate to the "Backup and Restore" option with your volume keys and select it with the camera button. Select Backup. Let the process run.

- Once the Backup is complete, Navigate to the Reboot option.

- Open "Contacts" on your phone. Press the "Options" hard-key and find the "Import/Export" option. Export your contacts to your SD card.

- Open "Titanium Backup" and press the "Options" hard-key. Then press "Batch." Run the "Backup all User Apps" tool and wait for the process to complete.

- Open "Backup Bookmarks" and backup your browser bookmarks.

Installing Your Rom

- Make Sure the Rom you want to install is using the same System Version as the one you're currently on. The Cyanogen "Official" Builds are actually still on froyo while the newest versions are on 4.5.605 or 4.5.602 (either work).

- Put the Rom's .zip on your SD card.

- Use Droid 2 Bootstrap to reboot into recovery again. (Bootstrap Recovery > Reboot Recovery)

- Do a factory reset from within this menu.

- Navigate to "Install zip from SDcard" and select your Rom. Say "yes" to the install and wait for the process to complete.

- Reboot. Congratulations! Your phone should now boot up into the new Rom!

and lots of stuff in my list
sd_shadow's [Collection] of Links for: Droid X (MB810) (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QZtlBNvzefJXL1QAM5FJWJWlXHmy4skwmya-XaTM5QE/edit?usp=sharing)

Sent from my XT862 using Droid X Forums

yamahammer342
05-23-2013, 02:18 PM
Thank you for the info.

The apex sticky says:

Requirements

You must be on .602/.605 rooted or a .602/.605 based ROM
Kernel must be 2.6.32.9-g34b306d
tkwp86@ca25rhe81 #2
Baseband must be BP_C_01.09.13P

So I woudn't be able to flash this one?

GoCliffGo05
05-23-2013, 02:23 PM
You need the patched Apex from here http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-roms/44928-roms-multi-rom-thread-blur-based-roms-those-621-604-a.html

I (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-roms/44928-roms-multi-rom-thread-blur-based-roms-those-621-604-a.html)gnore the top stuff since you are already on .621. Scroll down a bit.

yamahammer342
05-23-2013, 02:27 PM
Thanks so much!

sd_shadow
05-23-2013, 02:27 PM
what he said ^
once on 621 your only options are 621 and 604 milstone

Sent from my XT862 using Droid X Forums