PDA

View Full Version : It's time for a new phone.

Intimdtr77
04-28-2013, 12:50 AM
The time has come. My DX has served me well, but the time has arrived to replace it. That being said, I need some help choosing the new phone.

Carrier will be the big V.

Choices so far are split between the new S4 and a Razr Maxx HD for Android and an iPhone 5. (I know, haters will chime in)

Here are some things going through my head.

With regards to my iPhone thoughts it is merely for a few apps I do not get on Android and because I have multiple Apple devices in my house with family members. (iPad, iPad Mini, 2 touches and the wife unit has a 4S). The apps I do not have on Android are pretty big apps for me. When I need these Apps I have to use one of my other family members Apple devices. The makers of the app state that the Android versions are "In the works". The second reason for thinking iPhone is that I probably won't do anything to it. Hence, I won't have to worry about bricking it and fixing it like I will with the Android I get. This option though could work against me. Once I rooted my DX I loved messing with it. I'm not sure if I'll miss changing things like the ROM etc on an Apple device.

Android phones. I don't know the big differences between the two I listed. I figured they were the newest ones out and you guys may be able to point me in the right direction with either. I love my Android device. I like everything about it. I can not live with out my Google calendar. I currently use the pay version of Business Calendar and love it. I love having widgets. And I love not conforming to the hippies of Apple. I also love tinkering with my phone. I have not really touched the DX lately, still on a version of MIUI, but I'm almost certain if I get another Android I will research rooting and new ROM's etc.

One final thing. I need some sort of Hot Spot for the new device. I'm not sure where to go here. I am still grandfathered in with the Unlimited Data and I will not be signing a new contract with the big V. More then likely I will add a new line with the new phone and then switch it over to my current line.

All that being said I'm looking forward to your advice. Thanks a bunch guys and gals, I have really learned a ton about my device on this board. I hope if I stay with Android that where ever I end up has a forum as good as this one.

Wrapped
04-28-2013, 03:44 AM
There's nothing wrong with an iPhone if it'll serve your needs. If hardware matters to you, the iPhone 5 is way behind many current android phones, like the s4 or the DNA (which I currently have). Most I iPhone fans I know don't really like to tinker with their phones like I do. So if you'll be satisfied with it as is out of the box, go for it.
I haven't seen the s4 in person, but I think the previous Samsung phones have had a cheap plastic feel I could never get over. The droid x is a tank, so it's hard to find an equally solid phone. I landed on the DNA myself and I'm very happy with it. I'd say the maxx's advantage is the battery, but I get 24+ hours on my DNA and the only time I've been away and ran out of battery is when I've been wanting to see how far I can push the battery.
But if you want something that will most likely have a big dev following, aim for the s4. I'd only seen specs on it, but I'd say the S4 or the DNA would be Verizon's most powerful phones currently. The DNA is locked down extremely tight at the moment with no hope in sight, if that matters.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Droid X Forums

Intimdtr77
04-28-2013, 04:08 AM
There's nothing wrong with an iPhone if it'll serve your needs. If hardware matters to you, the iPhone 5 is way behind many current android phones, like the s4 or the DNA (which I currently have). Most I iPhone fans I know don't really like to tinker with their phones like I do. So if you'll be satisfied with it as is out of the box, go for it.
I haven't seen the s4 in person, but I think the previous Samsung phones have had a cheap plastic feel I could never get over. The droid x is a tank, so it's hard to find an equally solid phone. I landed on the DNA myself and I'm very happy with it. I'd say the maxx's advantage is the battery, but I get 24+ hours on my DNA and the only time I've been away and ran out of battery is when I've been wanting to see how far I can push the battery.
But if you want something that will most likely have a big dev following, aim for the s4. I'd only seen specs on it, but I'd say the S4 or the DNA would be Verizon's most powerful phones currently. The DNA is locked down extremely tight at the moment with no hope in sight, if that matters.

Great insight, thank you!

You nailed it with saying the DX is a tank. I have dropped it tons of times. it has a few ding in thep lastic, but the screen is still in pristine shape. I know I'm going to miss that feature.

gbrinn
04-28-2013, 09:10 AM
Nothing wrong with my Note2. I put it in an Otterbox like my DX was and good to go.

Sent from my Note2...

fezrock
04-28-2013, 11:38 AM
Using a Sammy was a change, but they feel right very quickly. The Razrs are durable, as my wife has used hers for a year without breaking anything. Solid as ever. It's a good thing to have choices.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

mx750
04-29-2013, 09:03 PM
Just wanted to chime in, I replaced my droid x with an iphone 4s and now a iphone 5. Im looking to get a new droid phone just for a change and to see where the android develpment has gone since i havent been around. let me say this first, I was a die hard android fan i would say i hated iphones all day everyday but little did i know the iphone was actually an amazing device. I noticed you mention the things about custom roms and you might miss that i can tell you that jailbreaking is no longer about free apps anymore the iphone developers are very good at making the phone completely diff similar to roms. No you dont upload a full rom but there is so many themes and tweaks at such high resolution its a blast tinkering. and the tweaks some of the devs come up with are amazing. Im wanting to get another android device to see if i cant make some of the things ive seen on the iphone possible on an android device. back when i had my X i would say almost all things i downloaded as far as roms were for look and maybe a small performance gain. But with my iphone i had tweaks that enabled me for example to swipe my status bar left and right to adj the brightness which was the most convenient thing ever. or triple press my home buttom from anywhere including the lock screen to open my flash light. These are some of the tweaks my iphone had and i dont remember ever having anything like that in the android world. I guess my point was you can deff still tinker around with themes,tweaks ect with an iphone and i have nothing bad to say really about my iphone5 I think it would make you a great phone

newmanx4
04-29-2013, 11:22 PM
I went from the X to the Maxx HD. If you want to replace a tank with a tank it's the way to go.

Sent from my RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

Intimdtr77
04-29-2013, 11:52 PM
Just wanted to chime in, I replaced my droid x with an iphone 4s and now a iphone 5. Im looking to get a new droid phone just for a change and to see where the android develpment has gone since i havent been around. let me say this first, I was a die hard android fan i would say i hated iphones all day everyday but little did i know the iphone was actually an amazing device. I noticed you mention the things about custom roms and you might miss that i can tell you that jailbreaking is no longer about free apps anymore the iphone developers are very good at making the phone completely diff similar to roms. No you dont upload a full rom but there is so many themes and tweaks at such high resolution its a blast tinkering. and the tweaks some of the devs come up with are amazing. Im wanting to get another android device to see if i cant make some of the things ive seen on the iphone possible on an android device. back when i had my X i would say almost all things i downloaded as far as roms were for look and maybe a small performance gain. But with my iphone i had tweaks that enabled me for example to swipe my status bar left and right to adj the brightness which was the most convenient thing ever. or triple press my home buttom from anywhere including the lock screen to open my flash light. These are some of the tweaks my iphone had and i dont remember ever having anything like that in the android world. I guess my point was you can deff still tinker around with themes,tweaks ect with an iphone and i have nothing bad to say really about my iphone5 I think it would make you a great phone

Where did you learn this tweaking? I'm assuming there is a forum out there to learn from. I'm all about learning and pushing the envelope. At the very least I am holding off until the new S4 rugged will be out this summer.

Goose306
04-30-2013, 04:42 AM
Keep in mind while the plastic on the S3/etc may feel cheap it does indeed serve a purpose. It has a better chance of shock absorption when dropped which actually makes it a fair bit tougher than many of the unibody other phones out there.

As well Samsung is just about the only manufacturer still putting out phones with removable batteries and SDCards, important features IMO.

Lastly, if you like development honestly the S3 is second only to a Nexus in terms of amount of development and quality of development. In fact in some ways I would argue it is better, as you have a choice of AOSP or TW ROMs, and polish is getting very high on most of the ROMs (AOKP runs better on my S3 than my N7 for example). Its an advantage of having a phone that's just so popular and one of the main reasons I gambled and rolled the dice on an S3 for my phone. I'm sure the S4 will be similar, although watch out for Verizon attempting to lock the bootloader again of course I'm sure.

Any who, just thought I'd throw in a few points for another device to confuse you more. :)

http://i.imgur.com/LvDnHuN.gif

Bkdodger
04-30-2013, 06:15 AM
It seems Verizon won't be the only one..

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/04/29/att-galaxy-s4-has-a-locked-bootloader/

Btw I ordered a friend S3 due for upgrade thru Amazon..

$9.99 with a new 2 yr..

Noted📝2x..

smalltowngirl13
04-30-2013, 07:23 AM
Where did you learn this tweaking? I'm assuming there is a forum out there to learn from. I'm all about learning and pushing the envelope. At the very least I am holding off until the new S4 rugged will be out this summer.

A forum to learn from... iPhone Forum - Active Topics (http://www.iphoneforums.net/index.php?pageid=active_topics) - it is one of our sister sites if you want to see more on iPhone tweaks and jailbreaking...

csk415
04-30-2013, 10:37 PM
I am still grandfathered in with the Unlimited Data and I will not be signing a new contract with the big V. More then likely I will add a new line with the new phone and then switch it over to my current line.

Hate to say it but your no longer grandfathered in for unlimited data. When you upgrade or add that new line you will have to add the new share data plan with it. Best bet is to find a newer used phone to keep unlimited data.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

gbrinn
05-01-2013, 07:11 AM
Hate to say it but your no longer grandfathered in for unlimited data. When you upgrade or add that new line you will have to add the new share data plan with it. Best bet is to find a newer used phone to keep unlimited data.

Not quite. He can do what he was talking about and keep unlimited data on his original line. Only the new line would be affected by the new data plan.

Sent from my Note2...

DirtyDroid
05-01-2013, 09:47 AM
Not quite. He can do what he was talking about and keep unlimited data on his original line. Only the new line would be affected by the new data plan.

Sent from my Note2...

Yea that ^^..out of five phones on my plan..mine and another still have unlimited....others are capped

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Asharad
05-01-2013, 05:39 PM
Really? When I try to add a line, they tell me that I must change my account to capped.....

csk415
05-01-2013, 09:08 PM

Sent from my Note2...

I guess you could but 2 gb of data is $60 now on the family shared plan. From what I understand is, I can keep unlimited but the new data pricing will force me to give it up. I woikd have to pay the 30 plus 60 for data. I could be wrong but I did go over it with a vzw rep at the store and over the phone.

gbrinn
05-02-2013, 08:23 PM
Add the new line then swap the phone to your old line and activate a dumb phone as a place holder with only minutes access and a pay-as-you-go data plan (which obviously doesn't get used).

Sent from my Note2...

wrongitdoo
05-15-2013, 12:30 AM
Add the new line then swap the phone to your old line and activate a dumb phone as a place holder with only minutes access and a pay-as-you-go data plan (which obviously doesn't get used).

Sent from my Note2...

Can you affirm this method works?

BHuber09
05-15-2013, 12:34 AM
Can you affirm this method works?

That's what he is doing yes, and its what most people are doing if they want to keep unlimited. Its about the same cost over the long run (may $20 cheaper) but its 600 across 2 years not all at once. Which is the best part.

Tapp'd from one of my Nexus Devices

wrongitdoo
05-15-2013, 11:32 AM
That's what he is doing yes, and its what most people are doing if they want to keep unlimited. Its about the same cost over the long run (may $20 cheaper) but its 600 across 2 years not all at once. Which is the best part.

Thanks for the prompt response! I'll be looking into it, as I'm in need for a new phone. Big Red is practically giving away the Droid DNA for free until 5/21.

fezrock
05-15-2013, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the prompt response! I'll be looking into it, as I'm in need for a new phone. Big Red is practically giving away the Droid DNA for free until 5/21.

DNA is nice if you don't want to hack your phone. If you do, look elsewhere. Even if you send it off to pay for JTag unlocking the dev scene is slim because it's such a PITA.

wrongitdoo
05-15-2013, 01:45 PM
DNA is nice if you don't want to hack your phone. If you do, look elsewhere. Even if you send it off to pay for JTag unlocking the dev scene is slim because it's such a PITA.

Much obliged Fezrock! Bummer. It seemed like a well-rounded choice. Any phone suggestions?

BHuber09
05-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Note 2 is still awesome. The sgs3 is still great. The sgs4 is coming to Verizon the 23rd. And there is still a rumor of the HTC one coming but that is still an unknown.

And of course.. The xfon is a moto device but it looks like the stats aren't that impressive.

wrongitdoo
05-15-2013, 08:17 PM
Note 2 is still awesome. The sgs3 is still great. The sgs4 is coming to Verizon the 23rd. And there is still a rumor of the HTC one coming but that is still an unknown.

And of course.. The xfon is a moto device but it looks like the stats aren't that impressive.

Impressive choices. I think I'll wait for the SGS4 at this point. I appreciate the info BHuber09!

wrongitdoo
05-17-2013, 06:48 PM
I'm about to add a new device/line on my Verizon account. Anything I should be aware of during this process?

Flintlock
05-22-2013, 03:58 PM
One thing I miss from my X on the S3 is the lack of ability to place a hands free phone call via Bluetooth. That's a very important feature in a mobile phone heck I even had a flip phone (LG 8300) two phone's before my X that did it well.

tapd from my S3 Synergy b484

EDIT 3/17: Got an S7 E and the hands free calling still stinks. Even when it chooses the right recipients there is no request for confirmation.

Wrapped
05-27-2013, 11:26 AM
Much obliged Fezrock! Bummer. It seemed like a well-rounded choice. Any phone suggestions?

The DNA has s-off. Beaups just announced it a few days ago. We're just waiting for him to package it up nicely for us. This method works for all versions, not just the 1.xx. Development has picked up since cm 10 got a stable release, and besides all the sense roms there are a bunch of aosp based ones. Aokp, pac, chameleon os, revolt, etc. It's starting to pick up. And with the latest s-off we'll have more roms and kernels.
I really like my DNA. Highly underrated device. Some complain about battery life, but I usually get between 30-48 hours on mine.

wrongitdoo
06-03-2013, 11:48 PM
The DNA has s-off. Beaups just announced it a few days ago. We're just waiting for him to package it up nicely for us. This method works for all versions, not just the 1.xx. Development has picked up since cm 10 got a stable release, and besides all the sense roms there are a bunch of aosp based ones. Aokp, pac, chameleon os, revolt, etc. It's starting to pick up. And with the latest s-off we'll have more roms and kernels.
I really like my DNA. Highly underrated device. Some complain about battery life, but I usually get between 30-48 hours on mine.

Thanks for the feedback concerning the DNA Wrapped! I'm now deciding on going below the price radar and choosing the Droid Razr M. Now, looking on Ebay for an decent, used phone.

fezrock
06-03-2013, 11:51 PM
Check on Swappa too.

wrongitdoo
06-05-2013, 01:10 AM
Check on Swappa too.

Will do! Thanks Fez. :-)

llulua
06-09-2013, 12:49 AM
Actually, I'm sort of sick of all the issues cropping up with Android Phones. Had nothing but problems with two Droix X's, two Droid 2X's and a Galaxy in our family. Look at all the issues on this forum.

My daughter has always used iPhones and seldom ever a problem.

We're a Mac family but only went with Androids because we got them cheap.

We'll buy some used iPhones but continue using PagePlus. Great Combo.

Wrapped
06-09-2013, 01:23 AM
DNA finally got unlocked again. Running custom kernel and ROM. Yay.

Sent from my carbonized DNA

wrongitdoo
06-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Actually, I'm sort of sick of all the issues cropping up with Android Phones. Had nothing but problems with two Droix X's, two Droid 2X's and a Galaxy in our family. Look at all the issues on this forum.

My daughter has always used iPhones and seldom ever a problem.

We're a Mac family but only went with Androids because we got them cheap.

We'll buy some used iPhones but continue using PagePlus. Great Combo.

IMO, as it pertains to the Mac world, is his/her own complacency with cell technology verses (Android) versatility.

llulua
06-09-2013, 01:12 PM
[QUOTE=wrongitdoo;620510]IMO, as it pertains to the Mac world, is his/her own complacency with cell technology verses (Android) versatility.

We are not techies or gamers.

We are more interested in just talking, texting and using some apps. Reliability, stability and ease of use are what's important to us. That's all.

wrongitdoo
06-09-2013, 02:59 PM
[QUOTE=wrongitdoo;620510]IMO, as it pertains to the Mac world, is his/her own complacency with cell technology verses (Android) versatility.

We are not techies or gamers.

We are more interested in just talking, texting and using some apps. Reliability, stability and ease of use are what's important to us. That's all.

Well said! Heck, my girlfriend owns an iPhone. We balance each other out.