PDA

View Full Version : Data turning on by itself. Photos disappearing.

shasta54
03-26-2013, 02:20 AM
I have data turned off on my phone and I use wifi only. Today, I noticed a 1G in my notification bar. I went into settings and data was turned on. I went to my phone company account and discovered I had burned about 6 dollars in data in the last week. I know I had it turned off because every time I download an app, Google makes me turn on background data first and I turn it back off after the app is installed and check the data and wifi settings. I have it set to update apps by wifi only. Why is it connecting in the middle of the night and what is it doing? It used almost 100 mb one night. Is there a way (or an app) to stop it from turning itself on? I could have the phone company turn it off, but then I wouldn't be able to install apps or use data in an emergency. I also have a problem with some photos disappearing from the gallery. The thumbnails are still visible, but when I click on them, I get a blank screen. If I go to the "more" button and click on information, the missing photos all say !empty.jpg. Any ideas? Thanks.

sd_shadow
03-26-2013, 03:30 AM
data turning on, has been a problem, i believe
maybe an app that will keep it off

picture disappearing, maybe a sd card error
if you can move sd card data to pc, the unmount it, and reformat
http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=33734

Sent from my Clear using Droid X Forums

sd_shadow
03-26-2013, 04:13 AM
you could try https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.miabit.android.dataonoff
it has a persist setting, but i have not used the app

Sent from my Clear using Droid X Forums

shasta54
03-26-2013, 11:59 PM
Thanks. It hasn't come back on since I shut it off yesterday. I discovered that background data was also on after all. It isn't under Wireless and Networks like the stock rom. It's under Accounts and Sync in CM7. Most of the data use was when I had stock or MIUI installed. The data off/on app turned on and off, but it's a widget and I couldn't figure out how to get to the settings. While I was in the app store, I found an app called Droidwall and have everything set to wifi only to be safe. It had good ratings. I think I will try different photo apps to fix the picture problem. I already did that with the video player as some of my mp4 files and all flv files wouldn't play. It's just 4 or 5 pictures that are wrong. The same with my music. I probably have 250 songs on my SD card and 3 or 4 of them have the wrong song and artist on them. If I plug the phone in to the computer, all the pictures and songs show that they are correct in Windows explorer so I can't just fix them and put them back. I'll either learn to accept a few little quirks or figure it out. I'm learning that if something isn't right, try a different app. It's just that there are so many to pick from.