PDA

View Full Version : Need Help - stock DX on .621 - no phone service

rewwky1846
02-18-2013, 07:14 PM
Need help experts,
Trying to revive my son's DX before he heads back out of state to college. The DX is stock, version is 4.5.621.mb810, android version is 2.3.4.

He woke up Saturday AM only to find his phone had no service. Long story short, he has the red circle with a line through it on his bars display. Did a succesful factory reset from within the privacy menu and then upon entering *228 to activate the phone, it won't call out to activate. The WIFI is working and the applications are working with no issue, his darn phone just isn't working and I'm stumped and need your help.

I realize that it may be a hardware issue, but I'd like to rule out all other options before determining the hardware is the verdict and give up. Any specific settings I should be looking at. Though I've never done an SBF, I am willing to try this and then overlay with a new image if you guys think it may fix it. I just need led to the link with the complete and most current instructions. I have a laptop with Windows 7 on it that I can hook the phone up to in order to do this.

My DX is rooted and on .605 and version 2.3 so I don't think there is any simple copy that I can do from my phone to his phone.

Thanks!

Rob

GoCliffGo05
02-18-2013, 07:19 PM
When you did the factory reset did it prompt you to activate or did you just call to activate? Never used the settings menu to factory reset, normally I suggest doing that through stock recovery.

rewwky1846
02-18-2013, 07:32 PM
It prompted me to activate.

GoCliffGo05
02-18-2013, 07:39 PM
You don't have airplane mode enabled for any reason do you? Check that. Also try turning off Wifi and trying to activate...

If you don't mind doing another reset try this. Turn the phone off, hold home + power until you see a screen with a triangle and a ! point on it. Press volume up and volume down together to enter stock recovery. Wipe data/factory reset, then reboot.

Next step would be an SBF in my opinion, but if it just suddenly stopped working... I dunno. Does your other X have any connectivity problems at the moment?

rewwky1846
02-18-2013, 07:48 PM
Funny you mention airplane mode. When he woke up, he told me the airplane was on the display bar, yet he couldn't toggle it off using the menu. He did a factory reset Saturday (I wasn't home) and it went away. I have toggle WI-FI on and off - didn't help. I am doing a stock recovery now. I'll be back on in a few minutes...No issues with my other two DXs (both of the them are rooted and on .605). Thanks!

rewwky1846
02-18-2013, 08:03 PM
Suceesfully did stock wipe/reboot from the stock recovery menu. It then rebooted and now it's trying to go throught the normal activation process. The first step tries to link the google account to the phone, but the phone doesn't find a network connection (I can turn on WIFI and tether to my other DX to complete this part and will do this when I send this response). At the present the little red circle is overlaying the bars on the top display banner/bar. So it appears that I don't have either 3G (data) or voice - so I can't get through the complete activation process.

Thoughts? Is it worth trying to do the SBF process? Have you heard of the SBF reviving DXs having similar issues such as this.

It's the da....dest thing.

Thanks,
Rob

GoCliffGo05
02-18-2013, 08:07 PM
Well the SBF flashes the radio... so in my opinion it's worth a shot.

Let me get all the info around. You're on Verizon right?

GoCliffGo05
02-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Ok you'll need the .621 file from here (all the way at the bottom) https://sites.google.com/site/motosbf/droid-x-sbf-files

You'll need to download RSD Lite and the drivers https://sites.google.com/site/motosbf/rsdlite (if you get a version that doesnt want to work, try another one)

Use the cable that came with the phone and make sure it is charged. (Since you have other DX's you can swap out the batteries if it should happen to die during the proccess.)

Then you can follow this guide: http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/12015-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html Ignore the SBF file they are using but the steps will be the same. I'd wipe data again after the SBF just to make sure everything is cleaned up.

Edit: ONLY use this if you are on Verizon.

rewwky1846
02-18-2013, 08:12 PM
Got it...get back to you in a bit...wish me luck. Also, I am on Verizon.

rewwky1846
02-18-2013, 10:18 PM
ok - Flashed .621 update onto DX using RSDLite. RSD Lite says Finished and status "passed". The phone screen turned off for a second and then has come back up to the bootloader screen and that is where it has been sitting for about 5 minutes now. The phone's green light is staying on. Madershramm's SBF instructions says not to do anything until the phone reboots...it doesn't appear that it is going to reboot, but I'm hesitant to unplug the USB cable.

Help!!! If you tell me to unplug the cable, what's the proper way to exit the bootloader and safely reboot.

Thanks!!!
Rob

Nemo aeternamn
02-18-2013, 10:30 PM
is there an error code? or anything? on the bootloader screen or with rsd?

if not just pull the battery and reboot

rewwky1846
02-18-2013, 11:13 PM
Good to go, unplugged USB between laptop and phone, did a battery pull, wiped the data and did another factory reset as GoCliff suggested and upon reboot (the red eye looked at me a while), the phone came up with service. I then activated it and PRESTO, back up and running...

The only iffy part going by Maderschramm's instructions was when the RSDLite completed transferring the .621 sbf to the phone and the RSDLite program said "complete" and status "pass", I expected the phone to do a complete reboot and try to boot into the activation menu. I didn't expect the phone screen just to turn off for a couple of seconds and then come back on into the original bootloader menu. Other than that, performed flawlessly according to instructions. I did start the RSDLite program up before plugging in the USB cable from the phone into the computer. The Windows 7 computer/RSDLite program picked up the phone.

As mentioned and for folks that this may help in the future, stock DX is on .621 and android version 2.3.4. I used RSDLite 5.7 at https://sites.google.com/site/motosbf/rsdlite, the latest .621 stock flash at https://sites.google.com/site/motosbf/droid-x-sbf-files and the motorola drive software from https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/88481

You guys are the greatest and that's just confirms why I'm keeping my DX's going to the very end.

Thanks again for your help! It's very, very much appreciated. I can rest well tonight knowing my son has comms while traveling back to college tonight.

Rob

GoCliffGo05
02-18-2013, 11:32 PM
Glad you got it figured out. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

rewwky1846
04-14-2013, 03:40 PM
Need help team DX...

Over the last couple of months, the subject phone in this link keeps losing its phone service...I continue to reflash and SBF to the stock. 621. I must also note that it now takes 7-8 times to successfully SBF the phone using RSDLITE...The phone then may go a day or two or up to a week, then loses its phone service again...Anybody have any thoughts on what is going in here?...I'm thinking that the battery may be a factor in this issue, but I am not sure...Anybody else had this happen to them and if so, what was the remedy? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my DROIDX

sd_shadow
04-15-2013, 01:04 AM
Could be a few different things
Phone hardware failure, maybe nothing can be done, but could try taking apart, and look for bad connect
Battery, replace
Charger if it's a bad charger, try a different one, could take a couple of charges, to get it back to normal

Edit: should be a take apart guide in my list
sd_shadow's list of links for Droid FAQs, SBF, Rooting, ROMs.... ("https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Goawxdx_UBF4Y8lqzHYWf8Ha3yUcRK4faq0UWIlXLWA/edit')

Sent from my Clear using Droid X Forums