PDA

View Full Version : How do I get sound with my boot animation?

Septaric
01-18-2013, 03:18 PM
I am running 2.3.5 with an Eclipse rom. I have figured out how to change my boot animations but I want sound with it. I have added mp3's and zip files renamed android_audio.mp3 into the system/media folder, but nothing is working. What am I doing wrong?

NUNsLAUGHTER92
01-18-2013, 03:32 PM
I'll upload something for you in a minute. It's what I did for cyanogenmod 6 and 7 back when I had an ascend but will work with any ROM or phone.

"You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy."

NUNsLAUGHTER92
01-18-2013, 03:40 PM
Here it is. Just be sure to do exactly what it says and it will work.
http://db.tt/0D8Q2q0x

Edit: Files are for reference only, please don't replace your files with these.

"You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy."

clothednblack
01-18-2013, 04:12 PM

Sent from planet CM10 on a Paranoid Unicorn named JellyBam!

Septaric
01-18-2013, 04:57 PM
I'm still trying to find my way around the file system on this phone, so I'm having a little trouble finding the files mentioned (build.prop and init.local.rc ).

Step #3 is throwing me off some.

3: Add the file 'bootsound' from below to /system/bin

NUNsLAUGHTER92
01-18-2013, 05:12 PM

You're welcome, I would've thought you knew how to do this though haha, I thought you saw the post I made on miuiandroid (maybe MIUI.us a long time ago.

I'm still trying to find my way around the file system on this phone, so I'm having a little trouble finding the files mentioned. Also what part of the following line are you supposed to put in the file? The ###Safe to Delete: Start ### is throwing me off.

### Safe to Delete: Start ###
ro.config.play.bootsound=1
### Safe to Delete: End ###

Sorry, you can leave out the safe to delete stuff, it's up to you. And init.local.rc is in /system/etc, I guess I forgot to add that.

clothednblack
01-18-2013, 05:17 PM
You're welcome, I would've thought you knew how to do this though haha, I thought you saw the post I made on miuiandroid (maybe MIUI.us a long time ago.

Sorry, you can leave out the safe to delete stuff, it's up to you. And init.local.rc is in /system/etc, I guess I forgot to add that.

I never looked into it, I didn't reboot often enough to hear it, but now with all the stuff out for the sg3, I'm going to hear it more :D

NUNsLAUGHTER92
01-18-2013, 05:27 PM
I never looked into it, I didn't reboot often enough to hear it, but now with all the stuff out for the sg3, I'm going to hear it more :D

Too bad you'll have to add it to new ROMs as you flash, unless you get the person making it to put it in. It's weird that cyanogenmod doesn't come with the ability to add bootsounds though. And I'm wondering if you could use the bootanimation file that comes with MIUI to just place the bootsound files where the go in MIUI /data/system/theme/boots/bootaudio.mp3

Septaric
01-18-2013, 05:27 PM
I'm having a little trouble finding the files mentioned (build.prop). The init.local.rc on my phone was already done before I got there.

NUNsLAUGHTER92
01-18-2013, 05:30 PM
I'm having a little trouble finding the files mentioned (build.prop).

The bootsound file is not in /system/bin, you just place it there yourself.
And build.prop is in /system

Septaric
01-18-2013, 05:40 PM
The bootsound file is not in /system/bin, you just place it there yourself.
And build.prop is in /system

Do I need to rename it to something besides bootsound file? and what type of file should it be? Zip etc.

NUNsLAUGHTER92
01-18-2013, 05:46 PM
Do I need to rename it to something besides bootsound file? and what type of file should it be? Zip etc.

It's just a text file and you don't have to rename it. Just "bootsound"
Edit:and the mp3 that you put into /data/local will play up until your phone is done booting and it'll start from the beginning.

Septaric
01-18-2013, 06:06 PM
You have helped me a lot and I thank you. I'm still not getting it working. What sould the permissions on the .mp3 be set to? I'm not giving up yet!!

NUNsLAUGHTER92
01-18-2013, 06:14 PM
You have helped me a lot and I thank you. I'm still not getting itI'm not giving up yet!!

Okay, make sure you init.local.rc had everything added in, maybe you didn't look carefully enough.
After that you should change the permissions to match the files around it, I really can't remember even having to change them though.

"You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something.

NUNsLAUGHTER92
01-18-2013, 06:29 PM
If that doesn't work then I'm thinking you might need the bootanimation file from /system/bin from a cyanogenmod ROM 7 or something similar, like cm9. I'll upload the file that I have from the cm9 ROM for this phone so you can try it out. Make sure you correct permissions on it though and rename the one already on your phone to bootanimation.bak
Edit: here's the bootanimation file. http://db.tt/kv1ogFoX

Septaric
01-18-2013, 06:47 PM
I wouldn't think the bootanimation file would be the problem. I have changed it several times to start with. All the files I was supposed to change were already done, so I didn't have to change anything. The bootsound file was there also. I'm kind of lost now.

What type of file is that?

NUNsLAUGHTER92
01-18-2013, 06:51 PM
I wouldn't think the bootanimation file would be the problem. I have changed it several times to start with. All the files I was supposed to change were already done, so I didn't have to change anything. The bootsound file was there also. I'm kind of lost now.

Well when MIUI for the droidx was first made the bootsound didn't work, and that was because we were using the wrong bootanimation file. I'll try it from my phone to see if I can get it to work though.

Septaric
01-18-2013, 07:05 PM
I'm thinking I didn't do the bootsound file correctly. the one on my phone is differant than the one in your how to zip. Should I edit it to match?

NUNsLAUGHTER92
01-18-2013, 07:39 PM
I'm thinking I didn't do the bootsound file correctly. the one on my phone is differant than the one in your how to zip. Should I edit it to match?

Yeah, just add those lines in the instructions file that tells what to add.
And don't try that bootanimation file, it doesn't work with this ROM. Can you upload your bootanimation file?
And I'm trying to find a cm7 ROM so I can take the file from that.

Septaric
01-18-2013, 08:04 PM
Give me the location of the bootanimation file please. I want to make sure I get the correct one.

NUNsLAUGHTER92
01-18-2013, 08:20 PM
Give me the location of the bootanimation file please. I want to make sure I get the correct one.

/system/bin

clothednblack
01-18-2013, 08:26 PM
I am finally home, I will see if this works on mine

NUNsLAUGHTER92
01-18-2013, 08:28 PM
I am finally home, I will see if this works on mine

Okay cool, hopefully it does. If not I think it might require the cm7 bootanimation file.
My brother is downloading the cm7 ROM for me then he'll send me the file so I can test it.

clothednblack
01-18-2013, 08:37 PM
I don't have a "init.local.rc." lol

Septaric
01-18-2013, 09:32 PM
I can't upload it. It's a winrar file.

clothednblack
01-18-2013, 09:37 PM
Boot ani
http://db.tt/QvBlWkCQ

Yours should be a zip

Septaric
01-18-2013, 09:50 PM
See if this is what you want.

NUNsLAUGHTER92
01-18-2013, 09:59 PM
I finally got it to work :D
What finally did it (the bootanimation was not the thing that made it work correctly) was editing init.local.rc on my computer (must've been the spacing) and correcting the permissions on the bootanimation file and init.local.rc but leaving android_audio.mp3 alone. Messing with the permissions on that made it unplayable. I'll upload the bootanimation file for you to try though and you should either upload all the files that need to be edited or edit them yourself on your computer.
http://db.tt/kv1ogFoX

Septaric
01-18-2013, 10:02 PM
After you upload the files I'll try yours. What should the permissions be set to on all the files?

NUNsLAUGHTER92
01-18-2013, 10:08 PM
I don't have a "init.local.rc." lol

Maybe try making one then, maybe it'll work. I wonder when they decided to take it out. If I was on cm9 or 10 I'd try to make it work.

"You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something.

NUNsLAUGHTER92
01-18-2013, 10:16 PM
After you upload the files I'll try yours. What should the permissions be set to on all the files?

init.local.rc : rw-r--r--
bootanimation : rwxr-xr-x
bootsound : rwxr-xr-x

And I guess you could use init.local.rc that I have, not the build.prop though, that'd probably screw some things up.

init: http://db.tt/P9q0ee55

clothednblack
01-18-2013, 10:25 PM
Built... Reboot time

NUNsLAUGHTER92
01-18-2013, 10:29 PM
Built... Reboot time

It seems like they must've taken it out in cm10 because it's in the cm9 that I have. Hope it works.

clothednblack
01-18-2013, 10:38 PM
I was a no-Go.

NUNsLAUGHTER92
01-18-2013, 10:59 PM
I was a no-Go.

Maybe check to see if there are any files in /system/etc that have any of this. Maybe they just replaced the file. I don't know what else to put that in if there aren't files with that. But maybe you can try the bootanimation file from a MIUI ROM that's jellybean and move your audio and bootanimation.zip to the same places that it has them in. I think the animation can always go into /data/local though.

# CyanogenMod Extras

# Compcache - handle at boot
service compcache /system/bin/handle_compcache
user root
group root
oneshot

clothednblack
01-18-2013, 11:01 PM
System/media is where my boot animation is but having mp3 there does nothing.... Looking into it

GoCliffGo05
01-18-2013, 11:40 PM
System/media is where it is on the x2 also... the mp3 either needs to be in notifications or... can't remember the other location. I'll look too. There is a thread about it somewhere in the x2 section.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

GoCliffGo05
01-18-2013, 11:46 PM
Ah, on X2, sound should be in .ogg format and in the notification folder. Worked for the other person. http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=589603

Septaric
01-19-2013, 12:25 AM
I just found this thread. I will have to do some reading tomorrow. I'm getting blurry eyed. Thanks for the help guys.
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x2-hacks/42168-how-adding-changing-sounds-boot-animations.html

NUNsLAUGHTER92
01-19-2013, 03:05 AM
Oh so their bootanimation file supports boot audio that way. I think the stock ROMs from droidx worked that way too, by adding something to the txt in bootanimation.zip.
It is the bootanimation file that tells it where to find audio and bootanimation.zip right?.

GoCliffGo05
01-19-2013, 11:52 AM
Oh so their bootanimation file supports boot audio that way. I think the stock ROMs from droidx worked that way too, by adding something to the txt in bootanimation.zip.
It is the bootanimation file that tells it where to find audio and bootanimation.zip right?.

Right. You add the "s audiofilename" line to the boot ani text file.

NUNsLAUGHTER92
01-19-2013, 02:43 PM
Well, sorry it didn't work for you two.

clothednblack
01-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Well, sorry it didn't work for you two.

It's all good, different rom different issue

Septaric
01-26-2013, 05:05 PM
OK, I finally got it working. The only thing is the volume is not very loud. When I listen to the file itself it's fine. How can I make the boot sound louder?

GoCliffGo05
01-26-2013, 05:26 PM
Yea the other person said the same thing. That's something I could never figure out.

NUNsLAUGHTER92
01-26-2013, 06:36 PM
OK, I finally got it working. The only thing is the volume is not very loud. When I listen to the file itself it's fine. How can I make the boot sound louder?

You'll probably have to modify the file to make it play louder. You can do it with dBpoweramp and probably other programs but it can make the audio pretty horrible. It's weird that it doesn't play that at max volume though, mine does.

fezrock
01-26-2013, 07:48 PM

If you upload the file and provide a DL link, I'll boost the audio amplitude and repackage the bootani for you tomorrow. Or you can do it with a basic music editing program. Just rezip the bootani with 0 compression.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Septaric
01-26-2013, 08:16 PM
I don't have a server to upload it to. Actually the file doesn't need to be zipped. It's an .ogg file in the system/media/audio/notifications folder

GoCliffGo05
01-26-2013, 08:25 PM
Use drop box or media fire or something.

fezrock
01-26-2013, 08:33 PM
Right. I only need to alter the .ogg. Dropbox is a lifeline for me. Highly recommended.

Septaric
01-26-2013, 08:37 PM
I forgot about my dropbox. I haven't used it in years. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17467881/drwho.zip

fezrock
01-26-2013, 09:02 PM
DrWho! :thumbup:
I'll make a few volume levels for ya to choose from.
Tomorrow. Kinda drinkin just now. :beer:

Septaric
01-26-2013, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the help. Yeah the Dr. Who theme music goes with the Tardis animation I have. Enjoy your beer.

Septaric
01-26-2013, 11:15 PM
My audio file is shorter than the animation and boot time so I need to loop the sound file. What change do I need to make to the "S" line to loop it?

fezrock
01-27-2013, 09:19 AM
I've never seen any way to do that in the bootani. I can loop it for you when I boost the volume. How long would you like it?

fezrock
01-27-2013, 01:29 PM
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20102849/drwho.zip

The file you sent was at a very high amplification to begin with. I don't know why it is quiet when it plays during bootup. I'm sure there must be a file that dictates boot sound volume somewhere, but I don't have a clue where that would be. The above zip has 2 versions, both named to reflect changes. One is looped once at original amplification. The other is looped once, and boosted as much as I could make it without excess distortion. I suggest making a copy of whichever you try, then renaming the copy to drwho.ogg so they don't get mixed up if you try them both. Good luck :smile: