PDA

View Full Version : Cutting cable service

milski65
01-12-2013, 09:12 AM
Hey all. Just looking for some advice. Seriously contemplating getting rid of cable service. Anyone here done that or had prior experience with it? Looking into either upgrading TV that has built-in streaming like Hulu, Netflix ect. or keeping current older set up and getting one of those little Apple TV, Cube ect and going TV that route. Don't watch much TV to begin with. Sports channels don't factor in. I have an older Onkyo Amp that doesn't have HDMI adaptor, so don't even know if I'd have to consider a new purchase there as well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

jwalz
01-12-2013, 09:20 AM
You can keep your old tv and buy a roku box http://www.roku.com/mobile/home and stream Netflix $9 a month and hull plus $8 a month .. my good friend has donor it and had saved a lot of money ..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

milski65
01-12-2013, 10:06 AM
It appears Roku and Apple are the 2 main ones. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2

maybish
01-12-2013, 11:16 AM
Yeah Roku would have been my suggestion and was thinking about doing it myself.

***May's pink Galaxy***

jwalz
01-12-2013, 11:28 AM
As long as your internet connection is fast it's pretty sweet

milski65
01-12-2013, 11:32 AM
It should suffice. Updated router as well. Tired of the bill, and reading more and more people doing this. New contacts with Netflix and studios. Cable companies worried. My interest was perked when a friend of mine showed me Apple TV a couple weeks ago.

Miller6386
01-12-2013, 03:03 PM
+1 on ROKU.... I had one for a while until the old lady plugged in the wrong adapter to it after we moved and smoked it..... But it was great.... Netflix has more then enough stuff to keep the whole family happy.... Comcast is way out of hand with their monthly prices.... We shut them off almost 2 years ago.... I told them when we can get a decent amount of channels for $20 a month or so we will come back but until then STOP calling me LOL

Wrapped
01-12-2013, 05:03 PM
I got a Wii in the bedroom and my Xbox in the living room both running Netflix. It's great. It'll be interesting to see how Netflix exclusive shows like arrested development and Derek will do and if it'll change the tv world any.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

milski65
01-12-2013, 05:48 PM
Was it at Best Buy. They had the Roku with ethernet connection for 99. Didn't get it cause he said i needed to keep at least basic on comcast for it to work. Anyone if that is true? Wanted to dump it and just keep Internet.

Miller6386
01-12-2013, 06:41 PM
Was it at Best Buy. They had the Roku with ethernet connection for 99. Didn't get it cause he said i needed to keep at least basic on comcast for it to work. Anyone if that is true? Wanted to dump it and just keep Internet.

That guy has NO idea what he is talking about... All you need is working internet for the ROKU to work..... Now whether or not Comcast internet will be a little cheaper if you keep basic cable along with it I do not know... You won't get any local channels with ROKU either if that is what was being referred too.... ROKU basically just gives you an internet gate way to get Netflix and what not on your tv

milski65
01-13-2013, 07:17 AM
I figured as much. Back to Best Buy we go.

jeems
01-14-2013, 08:37 AM
I've contemplated this several times, but still have directv. I'm honestly thinking of dropping them. It's just so expensive for how we actually use it. I haven't found a solid replacement though. I need to look into hulu plus and see what all is on there.

aarong707
01-14-2013, 10:55 AM
The problem with having just internet from Comcast of AT&T is they charge you like $40 for their slowest speed. I'm thinking of getting a TV and internet bundle or something...

Sent from my MB870 using Droid X Forums

milski65
01-14-2013, 11:07 AM
I pay 55 for Internet (per comcast fastest speed I can get) and 135 for cable. It's just too much. I have 35 down and 8 up via speed test. Not the greatest, but it will have to do. I'm just going to take my chances. Worst case I get cable back

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

milski65
01-21-2013, 05:06 AM
You can keep your old tv and buy a roku box http://www.roku.com/mobile/home and stream Netflix $9 a month and hull plus $8 a month .. my good friend has donor it and had saved a lot of money ..

Thanks for that suggestion. Up and running. Pretty damn happy with this.

milski65
01-30-2013, 05:56 PM
Just tried to cut cable. What a joke. With Comcast, DC cable, internet goes up to 85. BUT, for 92 (with tax and modem rental) keep internet and get low end cable (60 channels). Gotta love technology.

maybish
01-31-2013, 01:56 PM
I hate these cable companies! Cmon Google! Hurry up!

***May's pink Galaxy***

gbrinn
01-31-2013, 06:30 PM
I hate these cable companies! Cmon Google! Hurry up!

***May's pink Galaxy***
This ^, + infinity.

Sent from my Note2...