PDA

View Full Version : Droid X GB .621 Tethering

Redeemed
01-05-2013, 08:24 AM
So, Verizon has this awful habit of restricting tethering on 3g phones. And they are very good at it. I have tried every marketplace available option to circumvent it, from Barnalcle to PDANet, to no avail. I'm relatively new to dealing with Android, though not new to modifying devices in general. I know flashing roms on .621 is slightly more difficult and the DX than on most other phones, so does anyone know of a Good rom to flash that will get me free tethering? and a good way to do it? I'm already rooted with the MD5 method... the one that didn't require the Euro milestone.

EDIT: Also looking for a nice stable ROM, cause Moto's UI is kinda.... meh..... Looking at the CM9 beta, but apparently batterylife is shorter... which I don't want. I don't know the ins and outs of the available roms.:P If someone could enlighten me, I'd be happy. :D

Miller6386
01-05-2013, 12:08 PM
Have you tried the WiFi Tether for ROOT users?????

DirtyDroid
01-05-2013, 12:22 PM
Try wizards miui... One of the best IMO...or an aokp build ..if staying stock you'll need to flash a patch

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Redeemed
01-05-2013, 08:27 PM
I have indeed tried the WIFI tether for root users. Didn't work. After some research noticed that a radio patch was required on a stock rooted device. MIUI good on battery? What are the ups and downs?

newmanx4
01-06-2013, 07:11 PM
Tethering on. 621 works as an ad hoc connection. Unfortunately many tablets and PCs don't support ad hoc.

Sent from my Black Iced X

Redeemed
01-08-2013, 12:12 AM
Tethering on. 621 works as an ad hoc connection. Unfortunately many tablets and PCs don't support ad hoc.

Sent from my Black Iced X

Errrr. Au contraire.... Any modern WLAN card in a laptop will support Ad-Hoc. And most of the old ones do to, as do most tablets and mobile devices. And a lot of tethering apps don't set up an Ad-Hoc, in fact, Verizon's own Mobile Hotspot app doesn't. Verizon had a way of intercepting the data at the software level, and all that was needed was to apply a patch. Since this post I have successfully installed both the Wugpacked tethering patch on stock, and the Liberty Rom, and had no problems tethering. With either Ad-Hoc, USB, or mobile hotspot. Problem solved.