PDA

View Full Version : ** The NEW X Phone**

HarleyDude
12-24-2012, 01:56 PM
For those of us that believe Motorola has never designed or built a phone better than our X ...
For those of us rocking new 4G phones (HD for me, of course), but still here, hoping ...

I gleefully announce and bring you ...

The Google-Motorola X Phone

News of this new X have started appearing, but there are few details available yet. Some sources hint at an X tab to follow. My sources confirm the the X Phone will be out mid-year.

Google's Motorola unit to develop 'X phone' - Portland Business Journal (http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/morning_call/2012/12/googles-motorola-unit-to-develop-x-pho.html)
Google and Motorola Working on New 'X Phone,' But Details Scant | News & Opinion | PCMag.com (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2413528,00.asp)

Leach19m
12-24-2012, 02:14 PM
Right about at my upgrade time too...we shall see if it's worth losing unlimited data for!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

GoCliffGo05
12-24-2012, 02:19 PM
If this comes true... I'll buy it no questions asked.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

BHuber09
12-24-2012, 02:20 PM
I heard about this phone whenever the nexus 4 was being rumored about.
Sounds like the perfect match, Google and Moto

Tapp'd from one of my Nexus Devices

fezrock
12-24-2012, 02:23 PM
(rubs hands together evilly) Excellent! :D

(This is a mobile sig) Play the holiday contest. Win stuff! You'll find it around the top of active topics until it ends next month.

BHuber09
12-24-2012, 02:33 PM
If this comes true... I'll buy it no questions asked.

Exactly!

DroidXFanatic
12-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Was going to get the Galaxy Note 2 but think I will be holding out for this one. Hopefully Google/Moto don't disappoint us!

Sent from my Powerboosted VorteX'd Droid X

macpro88
12-24-2012, 02:52 PM
If this is a Nexus Motorola device, on Verizon with LTE, I will hands down sell my RAZR HD and buy this. Hands down.

Hopefully around June cause that's when my upgrade is :)

popcenator
12-24-2012, 03:22 PM
Right around my upgrade as well. Here's to hoping its worth the upgrade.

on the move..

DirtyDroid
12-24-2012, 06:35 PM
(rubs hands together evilly) Excellent! :D

(This is a mobile sig) Play the holiday contest. Win stuff! You'll find it around the top of active topics until it ends next month.

That :D

Lane W
12-24-2012, 08:02 PM
Right about at my upgrade time too...we shall see if it's worth losing unlimited data for!

Giving up unlimited data may be a tough decision. After using my X2 as a hotspot and FoxFi for my laptop during Sandy - one day - for 2.5 hours and racking up 2.8GB, methinks I'll be keeping unlimited - until verizon completely pulls *unlimited data* from those of us who were grandfathered. Will they pull it one day.......

Just my $.02

fezrock
12-24-2012, 08:20 PM
Start saving now and pay full retail, keep unlimited.

Really tho, more apps are more data intensive, web surfing via phone increases daily, and we're encouraged to buy or stream music and movies on our mobile devices. All taking more data. And they simultaneously want us to purchase limited plans? Tsk.

Lane W
12-24-2012, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback Fez, but I just got the X2 as a replacement from verizon due to manufacturer issue. Bought a Dx 3/11 & got an X2 5/12 (Dx defects) & the X2 was just replaced w/ another X2. For free which was pretty cool since the Dx end of life was 4 weeks after I got it :mad: GoCliffGo spent a LONG time recently helping me get Eclipse...he's sure to agree :rolleyes: and I can't (with any true conscience) change to another phone in the near/immediate future after all his help. Plus this refurbished X2 is only 2 months old.

I don't use an enormous amount of data (perhaps 1GB a month) but it is nice to know I can use as much as I want when I want. Like that 2.8GB in 2.5 hours during Sandy. I'm a sole proprietor and took a 30% hit this year over 2011 so I don't want to drop $500-$700 for a new device & pay full retail (not now anyway).

I guess we'll all see this new device at some point in 2013 after all the "politics" and R and D is ironed out. The rumored "Flexible Screen" - amongst other new and or enhanced features - sounds like a great design. Wonder how they will market that feature :confused: This thing is under lock and key so it will be interesting to see how/if/when we hear any more.

Merry Christmas everybody
or "happy Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Festivus, or something else" as Harley posted earlier today

SupraRZ95
12-25-2012, 02:28 PM
Giving up unlimited data may be a tough decision. After using my X2 as a hotspot and FoxFi for my laptop during Sandy - one day - for 2.5 hours and racking up 2.8GB, methinks I'll be keeping unlimited - until verizon completely pulls *unlimited data* from those of us who were grandfathered. Will they pull it one day.......

Just my $.02

Word is that if you buy a 4G phone out right from someone and walk in to upgrade I'm pretty sure that you can get unlimited grandfathered

Droid X'n it.

aarong707
12-25-2012, 02:32 PM
I want I want I want!!! But I have an upgrade in February, don't know if I want to wait so long.....

Sent from my MB870 using Droid X Forums

dtroup64
12-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Right there with you! My upgrade is in two weeks. No way can I wait 6 months.... Galaxy Tab 2: here I come!

aarong707
12-25-2012, 06:50 PM
I hope it isn't as big as the note. 5 inches is too much imo

Lane W
12-26-2012, 12:23 AM
I wonder if this will have any effect on the "Flexible Screen" planned for the new X Phone?

Apple patents a method to refine curved glass for displays and beyond (http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/25/apple-patents-a-method-to-refine-curved-glass/)

AdamTomaino
12-26-2012, 11:53 AM
or just unlock my DX bootloader and I won't even consider a new phone for the next 2 years.... I can live with 3G :)

mdsco
12-27-2012, 09:14 AM
Still rocking my X was just about to pull the trigger on a HD and a M for my wife dont think i can wait that long the HD and M supposedly are planned key lime upgradeable. I think this Moto google partnership is going to be good

Sent from my Droidx that shows up as a Nexus S using Droid X Forums

DroidXFanatic
01-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Really looking forward to see this phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBs__piRdmE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my DROIDX

DirtyDroid
01-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Did they show the lg there? But yeah....I'm stoked...finally maybe moto may have their things together here...

DroidXFanatic
01-02-2013, 09:54 PM
Did they show the lg there? But yeah....I'm stoked...finally maybe moto may have their things together here...

Yeah it was the Nexus 4, they could have at least had a fake model phone of what it can possibly look like haha. Hopefully they do have it all together and create a state of the art device. If its built rock solid, top of the line specs with a great screen & camera ill be very interested.

Sent from my DROIDX

gbrinn
01-02-2013, 10:32 PM
Yeah it was the Nexus 4, they could have at least had a fake model phone of what it can possibly look like haha. Hopefully they do have it all together and create a state of the art device. If its built rock solid, top of the line specs with a great screen & camera ill be very interested.

Sent from my DROIDX

But if it's not locked down tighter than a tick, it won't be on VzW...

Sent from my DROIDX using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

DirtyDroid
01-02-2013, 10:58 PM
But if it's not locked down tighter than a tick, it won't be on VzW...

Im not sure, I can't see big red not jumping on this with another flagship phone from moto,

newmanx4
01-03-2013, 07:36 PM
This is interesting indeed. Since I gave my December upgrade to my daughter I can't upgrade til March. This might be worth waiting a little longer.

Sent from my Black Iced X

gbrinn
01-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Im not sure, I can't see big red not jumping on this with another flagship phone from moto,
More to the point, it will probably be like the S3: Unlocked on everyone BUT VzW. But will Moto do what Samsung did and slide the unlocked software version out the back door?

DirtyDroid
01-03-2013, 08:25 PM
More to the point, it will probably be like the S3: Unlocked on everyone BUT VzW. But will Moto do what Samsung did and slide the unlocked software version out the back door?

Yeah that would be nice...I guess time will tell..

GoCliffGo05
01-03-2013, 08:38 PM
^^what he said?

jeems
01-03-2013, 09:38 PM
I'm really getting the itch for a new phone. Not sure I can wait!

DroidX.xparent.green

aarong707
01-03-2013, 10:30 PM
I'm really getting the itch for a new phone. Not sure I can wait!

DroidX.xparent.green

Same here. Already have an upgrade, really like the HD but kinda wanna wait for the xphone. But then again not really down with losing my unlimited data

gbrinn
01-03-2013, 10:51 PM
Pay retail. Besides, subsidized phones are going away, anyway.

aarong707
01-03-2013, 11:11 PM
Yea that might be the best way to go about it.... although changing to the share everything would say us about $30 a month on our bill....

gbrinn
01-03-2013, 11:18 PM
That costs me a lot more money. Not ditching unlimited...

jeems
01-04-2013, 08:57 AM
That costs me a lot more money. Not ditching unlimited...

Same here. We have 5 phones on the plan and it would cost us almost $50 more a month to go to less data (2 of us have unlimited atm). My problem is I don't want to pay $700 for a phone. The non subsidized prices need to come back to earth. I'd pay $400 for a solid phone. I will most likely be getting something like a SG3 in a few months when they are available cheaper.

BHuber09
01-04-2013, 09:17 AM
There is a way around this..
Its a little cheaper but the best part is you pay across time not all at once. Give it a read, you guys may be interested
http://rootzwiki.com/index.php?/topic/38108-Want-a-new-phone-but-can't-give-up-Unlimited-Data?-Read-here!

Leach19m
01-04-2013, 04:04 PM
Haha that crafty devil

BHuber09
01-04-2013, 04:21 PM
That's honestly what I'm gonna do.. I mean.. Pay over time that'll be so easy

aarong707
01-04-2013, 04:26 PM
So you have to add a new line? I don't see the point of that...

DirtyDroid
01-04-2013, 06:39 PM
Its more or less you save yourself 70$ give or take , over the two year period and you don't have to cough up 700 bones at once.

Leach19m
01-04-2013, 06:42 PM
Its more or less you save yourself 70$ give or take , over the two year period and you don't have to cough up 700 bones at once.

Plus you then have a line to use for upgrades in the future without effecting your unlimited data ever again.

The drawback then becomes if you ever decide to cancel your service, that's one more early termination fee to pay.

DirtyDroid
01-04-2013, 06:48 PM
Plus you then have a line to use for upgrades in the future without effecting your unlimited data ever again.

The drawback then becomes if you ever decide to cancel your service, that's one more early termination fee to pay.

Yeah...in upgraded to the gnex using another person upgrade on my line....:p