PDA

View Full Version : Hello Droid X noob

fofopuka
12-23-2012, 10:52 PM
Hi all, Droid X noob here, I just got a used Droid X it is not activated, I wanted to play around with it on wi-fi for the time being. For some reason when the power is turned on the phone boots into Clockwork mod recovery with menu options to reboot phone now, wipe/reset to factory, etc.

I chose wipe/reset, got it to boot up looking normal and played with it a bit, then turned it off. When I turn it on it again boots to clockwork mod recovery. I again wiped/rebooted, it shows the Liberty wallpaper and the phone information says MOD/ROM: Liberty v1.5 Android version 2.2.1 Baseband version BP_C_01.09.07P Kernel version 2.6.32.9-g55626e1w30471@il93lnxdroid08 #1 Build number VZW

I have not rooted any of my phones before, nor am I particularly interested in changing ROMs, I just want to get the phone working so it starts when I press the power button. I don't care if the OS is Liberty or Froyo or whatever. Help, please!

BHuber09
12-23-2012, 10:57 PM
Dont always wipe! Itll delete everything you have saved on the phone ie apps, email, ect. (not anything on the sd though)
Its a froyo (android 2.2.1) rom bug, what you can do either update it (through an sbf) or you can turn to the darkside and learn how awesome it is to rom your phone and become an addict like us haha

fofopuka
12-23-2012, 11:13 PM
Hi, thanks for your input.

I thought the Liberty wallpaper means this phone has been rooted to the Liberty ROM. I just got this used phone, I wanted to erase anything left by the former owner anyway.

I have been checking the internet, some pages said Liberty has the option to boot like this every time, and to just leave it alone. Some said this behavior is a CWM boot loop.

I found this thread which describes something similar:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/team-liberty/26902-liberty-v0-5-always-boots-into-clock-work-mod.html

But if I go to Settings --> Liberty Settings it says Sorry! the applications Settings (process.com.android setting) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. (click Force Close)

It does this any time I try to access the Liberty Settings menu.

BHuber09
12-23-2012, 11:31 PM
Yes, but if you get the phone set up the way you would like and you wipe it, youll lose everything is what im saying.
Yes that is what it is, but yes i recall that liberty and i remember having the exact same problems. the green Clockworkmod recovery is going to appear on boot every time unless you upgrade your phone to the latest (or close enough) firmware.
But what im saying is, you can either keep it, and have a new little hobby, or i can fix it for you, but itll take some work.

fofopuka
12-23-2012, 11:43 PM
OK it sounds like the 2 options are to just leave it the way it is, or update to a newer ROM.

Simplest option first, if I leave it alone, do I just select "reboot phone now" when it does this?

In the other thread I linked some people seemed to think it was useful as a failsafe to have it boot into CWM anyway:

"Originally Posted by Acecoleman132
Yeah I wouldn't try to change it, it'll be a big help if you do something to your software

Sent from DroidX running Darkslide 4.2

Safety net.

05-19-2011 04:45 PM
iphonekiller
X Informant

Member #:
Liked:
1 times
Originally Posted by _matt
How do I stop this. The settings in LB Cust. are unchecked but yet it still does it.
Liberty has the option to boot into clockwork. It's under SETTINGS>LIBERTY SETTINGS, third box down

If you really want it off, I would probably reflash

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums"

I found this thread about updating from Liberty 1.5 to a newer ROM:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-roms/46456-looking-update-my-rom.html

If I wanted to update the ROM would the instructions in that thread work? Thank you!

BHuber09
12-23-2012, 11:46 PM
Yep just click reboot and youll be good, but you are on froyo so most roms you are finding probably wont work with your version.
But if you wanted to update your phone to those roms you are going to have to get on gingerbread. So in the situation you are in right now no, those instructions wouldnt work for you.
So its either
1. Leave it the way it is
2. Update your phone to gingerbread
3. Update your phone to gingerbread, then root and rom.

fofopuka
12-24-2012, 01:15 AM
OK, thanks. It's annoying to have to reboot every time, so I think I will try to update it. That other thread included info how to update to Gingerbread, so I will try to follow the instructions there... If I have problems with it I think I should a new thread in the main discussion area rather than continuing here in the "welcome" section.

clothednblack
12-24-2012, 01:24 AM
You can check my sig too, has some great info to help you

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

fofopuka
12-24-2012, 02:32 AM
I tried flashing the .15p radio which is supposed to update to Gingerbread, everything seemed to go well in CWM but upon reboot it is stuck in the bootup animation where it shows the DROID logo, has been showing the bootup animation for 20 minutes now, I don't think that's what it's supposed to do

clothednblack
12-24-2012, 02:38 AM
.. 15p radio is just that, it's not a rom, its a update to flash the radio to gingerbread radio. I doubt you can get back to cwm, sbf to. 602/.605 I used the 1kds method

Ridin the Mystic inverted jellybean unicorn on my Ktweaked SG3

fofopuka
12-24-2012, 02:57 AM
I pulled the battery and it does boot again to CWM. I will try SBF, I have the GB 605 iso on a USB drive. Dammit, now if only I can find where did I put that thumb drive.

clothednblack
12-24-2012, 03:09 AM
If you are in CWM, you could flash a nandroid backup if you have one, just to get you back in the game with a usable phone till you can sbf

BHuber09
12-24-2012, 03:24 AM
^Doubt it, its a used phone and he just got it haha
unless the previous owner decided to leave his roms/nandroids on there, which would probably be a bad thing for him haha passing out public info..

fofopuka
12-24-2012, 04:48 AM
I am trying to sbf, however it is not behaving as I expected. rather than the script running all by itself, it asked for slitaz login (tux) then has a dollar sign prompt, I don't know what I'm supposed to enter. Start X window session? x window has 3 choices, xorg, text, or quit.

It did not ask if my phone was plugged in and ready to flash. This is the Gingerbread 4.5.605 iso. from this thread

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html
(http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html)

Addendum: this is the 3rd time I am running it, seems to be working this time.
Will keep you posted on the results.
-------------------------------------------

Success! It is back to stock Android, but useless because the initial screen will only prompt to call to activate the phone and won't let me off the nag screen. Is there any way to bypass it?

(http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html)

BHuber09
12-24-2012, 09:59 AM
Is it the android guy with the Start button then makes your activate
Or is it a seperate activation screen?

*its been so long since I've had this phone I can't remember what this part looks like.

Tapp'd from one of my Nexus Devices

clothednblack
12-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Touch the top left, top right, bottom right, bottom left corners one at a time, just a tap, that should bypass activation

fofopuka
12-24-2012, 11:47 AM
The screen has a picture of the green android and says press the android to start.
Touch the top left, top right, bottom right, bottom left corners one at a time, just a tap, that should bypass activation Ridin the Mystic inverted jellybean unicorn on my Ktweaked SG3 I'm at work now, don't have the phone with me, will try this magic trick tonight, thank you!

fezrock
12-24-2012, 09:04 PM
Touch the top left, top right, bottom right, bottom left corners one at a time, just a tap, that should bypass activation

This magic trick is exactly what you're looking for. When you do it, go ahead and put the phone in airplane mode. The wifi works fine even if you're in airplane mode, and you'll save battery life.

(This is a mobile sig) Play the holiday contest. Win stuff! You'll find it around the top of active topics until it ends next month.

fofopuka
12-25-2012, 02:31 AM
Yup, I tried the 4 tap trick, it worked great when I was able to touch the right areas of the screen. I put it in airplane mode and put a shortcut to toggle wifi on and off. Phone info now says Android 2.3.3 Now the question is to root or not, ha ha. Up until now I have never rooted any of my phones due to all the things that could go wrong and the amount of research and trial and error needed. However, since I've joined this forum I have to say you guys have made it look so easy to root and flash ROMs and this is one of the most helpful internet forums I have ever visited. Merry Christmas everybody!

clothednblack
12-25-2012, 02:49 AM
Merry Christmas to you and glad to help, when you are ready to root and unleash the full potential of the DX, we will be here to help.

GoCliffGo05
12-25-2012, 03:04 AM
So glad you were able to find what you needed here! Merry Christmas.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

fofopuka
12-25-2012, 06:09 PM
Hi again, I have decided to root but the older threads from 2011 and even Feb 2012 seem to link to mediafire etc that are dead end links. Pete's Motorola root tool says method is defunct and no longer will work, D3 one click script also is a dead link, can't find the files to download.

GoCliffGo05
12-25-2012, 06:12 PM
Here is a working link to Pete's. http://db.tt/Y9oMSINC

fofopuka
12-25-2012, 06:37 PM
I rooted with zergRUSH, seems to have been successful. After it finished phone is now in bootloader mode, says ready to program. Now what, CM7 or Vortex?

clothednblack
12-25-2012, 06:50 PM
Ready to Program? You don't flash a new rom from bootloader mode, pull the battery and replace, turn it on, does it boot up? Bootloader is for sbf

fofopuka
12-25-2012, 08:02 PM
I unplugged from USB and rebooted, it booted up fine. Following the advice here on what to do post-root, I installed the D2 bootstrap and am trying to backup the system, on reboot it is stuck on the "M" logo.

------------------
Pulled the battery, unplugged charger, rebooted. Will try running bootstrap again.

Same thing happened again, "Install Recovery" --> Success!

"Recovery Mode" ---> reboot, on reboot stuck on M screen. Can't get into the Recovery Mode menu.

clothednblack
12-25-2012, 08:24 PM
So, open bootstrap app, hit bootstrap recovery and wait for the ok, then hit reboot recovery and that should take you to the point of flashing... If rooting went as planned, I never rooted using zerg so I have no idea about that method...

clothednblack
12-25-2012, 08:26 PM
Do you have rom manager?

GoCliffGo05
12-25-2012, 08:27 PM
Just a thought here. Since you are now rooted and on 602 or 605 I would download a file explorer app like root explorer or ES, or use Titanium Backup to freeze your updater.apk. This will prevent you from receiving a request to update to .621. If you install a ROM it will do this automatically for you, but if you stay on stock, this is something I suggest. I'd do it before you make a backup. That way every time you restore back to where you are now you wont have to worry about it.

clothednblack
12-25-2012, 08:29 PM
Great point cliff

I'm trying to see why he is stuck too, and what version he is on... Exactly

fofopuka
12-25-2012, 08:54 PM
I have Gingerbread 4.5.605. Rootchecker says I have root access. I haven't installed ROM manager yet but will do that now. I have File Explorer, will try to freeze the updater.apk What folder will it be in?

-----------------

ROM manager installed, Titanium backup installed. "Your ROM is rooted but the "su" binary has suboptimal access rights, which may cause problems. Titanium backup can fix this automatically. Do you want to proceed? I clikked yes and rebooted.

GoCliffGo05
12-25-2012, 09:05 PM
File explorer wont work. You'll need a file explorer with root privelages. Root Explorer is my favorite but its not free. ES File Manager/ES File Explorer (dont remember which one it is called) is free, When you open ES the first time make sure to click the root option that pops up. Then it will be in system/apps. Rename it to updater.apk.bak. Then if you ever need it to work again for whatever reason, just remove ".bak"

Edit: just saw your post. Did you buy titanium or get the free one? If you bought it use it to freeze the updater apk, Now that root is sorted out, try D2 bootstrap again. Installing it again first, then hitting reboot recovery or whatever it says.

clothednblack
12-25-2012, 09:16 PM
Good team work cliff ;-)

fofopuka
12-25-2012, 09:17 PM
free titanium backup. Installed ES file explorer, upon open I didn't see it ask anything about root. Don't see any system folder, just Android, clockwork, data, DCIM, liberty, logs, LOST.DIR, SOUND, Titaniumbackup, Yahoo, gallery.db. Apparently I'm just seeing what's on the SD card, How do I see the phone? If I click "up" in the tree it justs exits the program.

---------------------
weird, could not see phone in ES file explorer, but was able to navigate to system/app/ folder using file manager. I see a file named upgrader.apk, but no updater.apk. Is the upgrader.apk the one I want to rename? There is also an upgrader.odex file.

GoCliffGo05
12-25-2012, 09:21 PM
Sorry not on open. Got to settings then down toward the bottom there is a "root options" click it and select root.

For sure CnB, you too :)

fofopuka
12-25-2012, 09:51 PM
OK, I did a search and found how to enable root in ES file explorer. Settings --> Root Settings, enable access to root

You have to press the "Select" menu box first, then click the file, which will turn green. Press the physical MENU button on the bottom left of the phone, press Settings ---> Operations ---> Rename. I tried renaming to

upgrader.apk.bak "Sorry operation failed"

upgrader.bak " Sorry operation failed"

upgradrold.apk "Sorry operation failed"

upgrder.apk "Sorry operation failed"

The program ES file explorer is not letting me rename it no matter what I choose as a new name.

Tried running D2 bootstrap again. Same result, freezes on "M" logo.

clothednblack
12-25-2012, 10:15 PM
You need to change the rights first RO to RW then you can rename it, I think it's at the top of the screen on that explorer

fofopuka
12-25-2012, 10:53 PM
Found it under Settings --> Root Settings, Mount system as writable. Was able to rename to upgrader.apk.bak successfully, thank you!

Can I make a backup of the system using ROM Manager/ CWM and not using D2 bootstrap?

It has options for Droid X or Droid X 2nd-Init, which one should I choose?

clothednblack
12-25-2012, 11:13 PM
Yes, make a backup and 2nd init is what you want

clothednblack
12-25-2012, 11:14 PM
The backup will copy system data apps everything so it's a life saver

clothednblack
12-25-2012, 11:17 PM
Oops, was droid x was the other answer unless you are using an X2 ;-)

fofopuka
12-25-2012, 11:40 PM
I have a Droid X, not X2 so I guess that means not 2nd-init, right? Anyway now when I run ROM manager it won't load the list of phones to choose from, it only did it correctly the first time. ROM manager has a function called "fix file permissions" I am going to run that and see if it helps.

I was looking at other methods of installing CWM, it mentioned many cooked ROMs alread have a kernel with CWM built in. Can I just flash a ROM that already has CWM built in?

The D2 bootstrap is not working for me.

clothednblack
12-25-2012, 11:48 PM
STOP!!

clothednblack
12-25-2012, 11:51 PM
Un install rom manager
Reinstall rom manager
Flash recovery (droid x/2nd init)
DO NOT USE D2 BOOTSTRAP!
its ONLY used ONCE
Un install D2 bootstrap
Fix Permissions won't help you here.

clothednblack
12-25-2012, 11:52 PM
You can NOT just flash a rom to get the right cwm, you need it setup properly first so you CAN flash a rom

fofopuka
12-26-2012, 12:09 AM
OK, I uninstalled ROM manager, re-installed it, flashed CWM for Droid X 2nd-init, it said successful. It is showing current recovery: ClockworkMod 5.0.2.0

Now do I need to boot to stock recovery as described below on XDA developers forum, or is that info outdated? Is it ready to use yet?

"reboot into the stock recovery and choose the option "re-install package" TWO TIMES to temporarily load CWM from the update.zip file. This file needs to remain on the phone to load CWM when needed each time. DO NOT DELETE!"

----------------------------

I tried "Backup Current ROM" in ROM manager, it rebooted and there is a file on the SD card with today's date named recovery-update.zip 1.39 MB, along with some smaller files also with today's date, have I successfully made a backup? Under "Manage and Restore Backups" I do not see a backup from today listed, only there is an older one which was there already.

Yes, I also uninstalled D2 already.

clothednblack
12-26-2012, 12:16 AM

Installing Your Rom

- Make Sure the Rom you want to install is using the same System Version as the one you're currently on. The Cyanogen "Official" Builds are actually still on froyo while the newest versions are on 4.5.605 or 4.5.602 (either work).

- Put the Rom's .zip on your SD card.

- Use Droid 2 Bootstrap to reboot into recovery again. (Bootstrap Recovery > Reboot Recovery)

- Do a factory reset from within this menu.

- Navigate to "Install zip from SDcard" and select your Rom. Say "yes" to the install and wait for the process to complete.

- Reboot. Congratulations! Your phone should now boot up into the new Rom!

clothednblack
12-26-2012, 12:18 AM
You will un install D2 after that is all done
Thought you were a step ahead of this

clothednblack
12-26-2012, 12:24 AM
In case you are confused, the steps below are basically what you already have done, give or take a change here and there

What You'll Need

-Root Access
-Know your System Version (Settings>About Phone)
-Titanium Backup (A pro Key isn't needed but I recommend one)
-Bookmark Backup
-Droid 2 Bootstrap
-3Gigs free space on your SD card (estimate).
-A Rom of your Choice:

--Liberty is a great rom. Especially for someone who is new to this whole process, as you can put whatever Blur you want back in!
--MIUI is an excellent rom. It offers SUPERB customization, a beautiful interface, and awesome themes!
--CyanogenMod is another excellent choice. It offers superb customization on top of an AOSP experience.
--Any other Rom that is running on your System Version (Settings>About Phone).

Before We Flash

- Root your phone using the above link as a guide. (It's as simple as downloading a small program on your computer and plugging your phone in.)

- Install all of the applications Above. If you previously purchased Droid X Bootstrap, you may install This instead. It was compiled using the Droid 2 Bootstrap Source and will work perfectly.

- Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery using Droid 2 Bootstrap. Press: "Bootstrap Recovery" (if a SuperUser permission request pops up, accept it) and then "Reboot Recovery."

- Navigate to the "Backup and Restore" option with your volume keys and select it with the camera button. Select Backup. Let the process run.

- Once the Backup is complete, Navigate to the Reboot option.

- Open "Contacts" on your phone. Press the "Options" hard-key and find the "Import/Export" option. Export your contacts to your SD card.

- Open "Titanium Backup" and press the "Options" hard-key. Then press "Batch." Run the "Backup all User Apps" tool and wait for the process to complete.

- Open "Backup Bookmarks" and backup your browser bookmarks.

fofopuka
12-26-2012, 12:40 AM
As far as I can tell, it looks like I have not yet created a backup of the current ROM. I uninstalled and re-installed D2 bootstrap, however it still gets stuck on the "M" picture on reboot.

from stock recovery I tried to run "install from sd card" update.zip but it says signature verification failed- installation aborted

clothednblack
12-26-2012, 12:44 AM
Pull the battery and reboot

fofopuka
12-26-2012, 12:55 AM
OK I have rebooted, however the problem is even though CWM is installed I can't make a backup. If I look under sdcard/clockworkmod/backup the only folder there is named 1970-01-01, Dec 31 1979. I don't think that's the backup from today.

clothednblack
12-26-2012, 12:56 AM
I went back and see you said something about recovery update zip, that's not a backup but may be useful, depending on what your phone is doing now

fofopuka
12-26-2012, 12:57 AM
since it is only 1.3 MB in size, I think that is part of the CWM installation. I tried running it from the SD card in stock recovery but signature verification failed.

clothednblack
12-26-2012, 01:02 AM
First of all, guessing can really make this difficult to get where you want to be, please don't guess and try things you are not sure of, it gets complicated when doing that.

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, just want to help and make it as smooth as possible for both of us

Does your phone boot at all?

fofopuka
12-26-2012, 01:06 AM
Yes, the phone boots up fine to Gingerbread 4.5.605. I am trying to make a backup. The options in ROM manager don't seem to do what they say, CWM is installed but if I press Backup Current ROM no backup is made, if I choose Reboot into Recovery it just reboots back to Gingerbread.

clothednblack
12-26-2012, 01:09 AM
I know.... Rom manager will not work right till D2 hijacks the recovery and you flash your new rom

clothednblack
12-26-2012, 01:11 AM
So...... If your phone isn't borked, we may be able to get you out of another sbf. Give me a minute

fofopuka
12-26-2012, 01:12 AM
Oh, OK that explains it. Nah the phone isn't borked, I am just trying to make a backup with CWM prior to flashing a ROM. Problem is the D2 bootstrap won't boot to recovery, it freezes on the "M" every time.

clothednblack
12-26-2012, 01:19 AM
Food for thought till I get a moment to recall the fix

What if my phone won't boot? How do I get into recovery without the app?
When the hijacker runs, it will automatically create the "/data/.recovery_mode" file after it finishes. This tells the system that the next time it boots, it should boot into recovery. But, when the system starts, the Droid X Recovery Bootstrap will then delete that file when Android is fully started, to prevent you from booting into recovery. So what does this mean? If you fail to boot, simply pull your battery, and your next boot will be into recovery (unless your /system is *really* hosed, in which case you need to SBF).

How do I fix my phone if I really mess it up?
Use an SBF.

clothednblack
12-26-2012, 01:27 AM
Not good... Found my old notes
Sbf is the only answer
Going into rom manager before D2 is done properly is what borked it. If you want to do this again after the sbf, I will help you but I need you to follow every step and don't wander around trying anything else. I can get you where you want

fofopuka
12-26-2012, 01:37 AM
well, you know sbf is what I did 2 days ago to get here in the first place. I had Liberty 1.5 then sbf'd it to GB. The phone works fine on Gingerbread but I wanted to root it. So just today I rooted it. I had D2 on the phone and tried running it before I even had ROM manager installed. I only installed ROM manager a few hours ago when someone asked me if I had it installed (I didnt'). D2 bootstrap never worked since the first time I tried it.

I have no data or apps on the phone other than what's been installed in the past few hours trying to install CWM. If I have to sbf again I might as well flash a ROM first, because there's nothing to back up that isn't in the sbf.

I see lots of threads trying to boot to CWM from power off, the problem in this case is I can't even seem to boot to CWM from power on.

clothednblack
12-26-2012, 01:46 AM
I will give you step by step play in a minute and it will work, I had my old Dx for almost 3 years, I've been there lol

clothednblack
12-26-2012, 01:59 AM
After you sbf, do the following step by step and don't skip anything, if you have a question, please ask and don't guess

Installing a custom Gingergread ROM (This will work for 2nd-Init GB Kernel ROM's as well)
-Go to Settings -> Applications -> and check the box next to "Unknown Sources" and then press OK on the warning that comes up. (this allows you to install non-market 3rd party apps on your phone)
-Put Droid 2 Bootstrapper and the ROM.zip file that you want to install on the root of your SD Card (main SD CARD directory, not in a folder)
-Install Droid 2 Bootstrapper
-Open Droid 2 Bootstrapper and select "Bootstrap Recovery"
-It will request Superuser Permission, allow it and then select "Reboot Recovery"
-Phone will reboot, use your volume buttons to move up and down in the menus and the camera button to select. Back button will move you to the previous menu.
-Wipe data/cache (always do when installing a new ROM)
-Then select install from zip
-Select zip from sdcard
-Select the ROM zip that you downloaded and it will install (about 10 mins)
-Once you reboot into the ROM proceed to setup your phone as you want.

Please post with any questions, I don't think I left anything out.

When this is done and you are on the new Rom, un install D2 bootstrap and don't look back, you will use cwm (rom manager) from this point on.

fofopuka
12-26-2012, 02:02 AM
OK, thanks for the detailed instructions, I won't have time to do more with the phone for now, I have to work tomorrow and the rest of the week. Will post again if anything new happens.

clothednblack
12-26-2012, 02:13 AM
No problem and good luck, we are all here to help, just ask. :cool:

fofopuka
12-28-2012, 01:23 AM
I installed D2 bootstrap from Google Play, but I don't know where it installed to, I don't have the file for it in the root of the SD card, I can't install it from the SD card. I can only install it from Google Play.

This is the message I'm getting in Clockwork recovery when I try to flash:

Installing: SDCARD: VorteX_GB-RC1.zip
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
E:Can't open /sdcard/VorteX_GB-RC1.zip
(bad)
Installation aborted.

I tried deleting the file I had copied from PC to the SD card and re-downloading it directly to the phone but result was the same.

GoCliffGo05
12-28-2012, 01:34 AM
... you should be using D2 bootstrapper... that sounds like stock recovery.

clothednblack
12-28-2012, 01:37 AM
What ^he^ said.

fofopuka
12-28-2012, 01:46 AM
what color are the letters supposed to be? I have green lettering on the top menu, but the operational part shows up in white letters. It says right on the screen ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.0.8

clothednblack
12-28-2012, 01:48 AM
I can't recall but tell me this, how did you get to the recovery screen?

fofopuka
12-28-2012, 01:52 AM
Running the D2 bootstrap, click install recovery, click boot recovery

Is there any way to save the D2 bootstrap file to my SD card? It is a pain having to re-enter my wifi and google passwords to connect to the market after wiping the data and cache each time around.

clothednblack
12-28-2012, 02:00 AM
Ok, there are two different versions of vortex that I know of for the DX, One is for froyo and the other is gingerbread. They won't cross over, is your system 2.3 or lower? (in menu/settings/about phone)
I would also use a pc to download then pull the sdcard out and use an adapter if possible, otherwise if you use a usb cable, make sure the rom zip is on the root of the sdcard (not in a folder)

clothednblack
12-28-2012, 02:06 AM
Also, cwm 2.5.0.8 is very old, and is probably the problem. Did you follow every step in order that I posted? Cwm should have flashed 5.0

fofopuka
12-28-2012, 02:10 AM
Android 2.3.3 System version 4.5.605.MB810.Verizon.en.US

ROM VorteX_GB-RC1.zip

clothednblack
12-28-2012, 02:16 AM
Ok, must be a bad zip then, your system is right and the zip is correct, do you know how to do a md5 check on the zip?

clothednblack
12-28-2012, 02:17 AM
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fab.md5

clothednblack
12-28-2012, 02:20 AM
Running the D2 bootstrap, click install recovery, click boot recovery

Is there any way to save the D2 bootstrap file to my SD card? It is a pain having to re-enter my wifi and google passwords to connect to the market after wiping the data and cache each time around.

You can use a file exploring app to copy it to your sdcard.

clothednblack
12-28-2012, 02:27 AM
Umm, when you do the wipe, you have to wipe data and system or it won't work, and I wouldn't do that till you get a good md5 match.
You did sbf before this too, right? (since we last spoke)

fofopuka
12-28-2012, 02:37 AM
I downloaded ROM manager from Google Play, updated ClockworkMod, it said flashed successfully to 5.0.2.0, but when I tried to reboot to recovery 2.5.0.8 came up again.

fofopuka
12-28-2012, 02:46 AM
Not sure if I'm doing this right, but the MD5 calculated with that app doesn't match what appears on the ROM download page.

Getting late here, will go to bed for now.....

clothednblack
12-28-2012, 02:46 AM
You have to flash vortex with d2, you are on a stock rom right now, cwm only works on a custom rom. There is no way around that. D2 gets you away from stock. So now the question is, what steps have you already done?

clothednblack
12-28-2012, 02:49 AM
Not sure if I'm doing this right, but the MD5 calculated with that app doesn't match what appears on the ROM download page.

Getting late here, will go to bed for now.....

Bad zip, download again till it matches

fofopuka
12-28-2012, 02:14 PM
Update: you were right, zip was bad. Redownloaded again, MD5 matched. . Ran bootstrap, installed zip from SD card, rebooted. VorteX graphic shows, after a wait the screen now shows the green Android, "Welcome to DROIDX Touch the android to begin. " However now tapping the 4 corners of the screen doesn't work to bypass.

--------

After repeated attempts I must have tapped it right somehow, I am now in with a purple/blue vortex wallpaper. Yay! Will start a new thread somewhere in the forum asking what to do next....

clothednblack
12-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Congratulations and welcome to the world of custom Roms. Just keep this thread going for now, others that run into a similar issue can follow this and can continue to do so while you get set up and running.

fofopuka
12-28-2012, 02:44 PM
A huge thank you to everyone that has posted, I would never get through this without your help. Seems like everything that can go wrong will go wrong at each step. OK the first thing I will do is 2) re-enter the information to connect to Google and wifi. 2) try to restore my backed up apps using My Backup Root.

The VorteX ROM page has a couple of patches/fixes posted, one for Messaging (reverts to Messaging 2.9) and one called Motorola Blur Toggle Widgets. Do I need those? That
thread is 136 pages long, it will be awhile before I can read all of it, haha.

clothednblack
12-28-2012, 02:59 PM
If you have messaging issues then get the patch, toggle mods are always nice to have so I would get that too. Make sure when you restore your old apps, that you only restore your own downloaded apps, NOT any system apps (apps that were built in to the stock rom... Phone app, Google and so on)

fofopuka
12-28-2012, 03:36 PM
All of the apps the program backed up/restored look like ones I installed except for NFS Shift and Adobe Flash 10.1, I don't know why that one was included but I don't see an option to select or unselect certain apps.

clothednblack
12-28-2012, 03:43 PM
Those are ok so you're good to go

fofopuka
12-28-2012, 04:18 PM
So seems like I should run ROM manager and flash CWM to the 5.0.x version now

and make a backup of the current system

jeems
12-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Yes. Go ahead and update cwm in ROM manager and make your backup.

DroidX.xparent.green

clothednblack
12-28-2012, 04:37 PM
What Jeems said :-)

fofopuka
12-28-2012, 05:09 PM
the ROM manager asks to identify device, is it Droid X or Droid X 2nd-init? From what I've been reading 2nd-init is for ROMs like Cyanogen Mod 9 or MIUI, I don't think Vortex falls in that category does it?

clothednblack
12-28-2012, 05:15 PM
Correct just droid x NOT 2nd init

fofopuka
12-28-2012, 06:09 PM
CWM updated to v5.0.2.0, system backup created.

Can someone point to a link about themes available for this ROM? thanks

What can GO Launcher EX do that the stock launcher doesn't?

clothednblack
12-28-2012, 06:32 PM
Red River vortex theme
http://db.tt/jxB91e1q

Orange River vortex theme
http://db.tt/bGbtQHVS

As far as launchers go, it's a matter of taste and customizable features, just look in the market, it has tons of pics for each launcher, but stock vortex was sweet IMO

fofopuka
12-28-2012, 07:58 PM
OK thx I also found this thread:

Gingerbread Themes (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-themes/)

Just noticed something weird, if I go to Android Market, so far it still has not upgraded to Google play, which it has always done on other phones; also it shows a list of installed apps, then a list of apps it calls "not installed" including gmail, GO launcher EX, maps, ROM manager, superuser, Vortex Toolbox, Youtube. Yet these apps are functioning on the phone.

jeems
12-28-2012, 08:00 PM
sorry, I did not read this entire thread. Did you flash RC1? IF so there was an issue and you will have to flash play store .apk manually.

clothednblack
12-28-2012, 08:06 PM
Go to menu/settings/manage apps
Scroll to market and delete cache and data, back to home screen and open market, see if that fixes the issue, if not, there is another way

fofopuka
12-30-2012, 12:06 AM
Yup, clearing app data fixed it, thanks.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

clothednblack
12-30-2012, 12:12 AM
Glad to hear it

fofopuka
01-05-2013, 10:10 PM
Android Market says "no connection" no matter what I do, browser works fine. Connected to wifi. Tried clearing cache and data for app, still the same result. Any ideas?

Oops, Nevermind, I went to Vortex Toolbox and installed the patch for "update to version 3.4.4" Market is working now.

jeems
01-07-2013, 09:14 AM
Android Market says "no connection" no matter what I do, browser works fine. Connected to wifi. Tried clearing cache and data for app, still the same result. Any ideas?

Oops, Nevermind, I went to Vortex Toolbox and installed the patch for "update to version 3.4.4" Market is working now.

Has it updated to play store yet? If not see this and the subsequent posts and there is a method to get it to update to play store. http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/vortex/44652-google-play-4.html#post541446

fofopuka
01-07-2013, 11:22 AM
No, it has not updated to Google Play yet, I will take a look at that thead, thanks!

I am able to download and update apps from it, so it seems to work as Market. Don't know what the difference is, otherwise.

I just saw on this page http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/vortex/39892-rom-vortex-rc1-134.html#post563164 that there is a newer version of the VorteX rom, VXR which seems to have this fixed. Maybe I should just flash the newer rom....

jeems
01-07-2013, 03:13 PM
There is both VXR and VXL. VXR is pretty good but I had trouble with VXL which mixes some liberty on top of the vortex base (I am seemingly the minority though). Nothing wrong with RC1 though once you get the market updated. And there is nothing wrong with using market, but the newer versions are a little faster and I always had trouble with it not really showing "My apps" correctly.