PDA

View Full Version : Need help with infinite boot loop and flashing back to .621

machao17
12-01-2012, 06:41 AM
Hey strangers, I'm a newbie to rooting/custom ROMs.

Here's the short question that I have: Can I use RSD Lite v6.1.4 to flash the .621 SBF on my phone?

Here's the longer version to give you some background on my situation.
1. I rooted my DX from .621 using the method in this link (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/47718-how-root-4-5-621-magic-md5-does-not-require-milestone-sbf.html).
2. I backed up everything with Titanium Backup and CWM.
3. I first tried installing cm-7.2.0-shadow.zip but that didn't work and gave me an error during installation. I think because it's for Froyo and I'm on Gingerbread?
4. Then I downloaded and installed Pooka-CM4DX-GB-20120519.zip, but I'm stuck in an infinite boot loop now.

What's the best way to restore my phone back to rooted .621? I already downloaded the .621 SBF file.

(Based on the various things I've researched, it seems like I have to use Linux and I would prefer to avoid using Linux. I had issues installing Linux Mint last month and even after I did it, something weird happened and I seem to have only 600~800mb of free space on it. No clue what's going on there.)

machao17
12-01-2012, 07:19 AM
Ok, nevermind. Instead of sleeping, I decided to stay up to work on it instead. I took a risk and used RSD Lite and managed to get it back to .621. Now I am just not sure if I am still rooted or not. I'm thinking no. We'll see what happens when I re-download the bootstrapper and Titanium BU.

SupraRZ95
12-01-2012, 09:55 AM
Having the super user icon in your app drawer means you have root

Fart Blood

jeems
12-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Ok, nevermind. Instead of sleeping, I decided to stay up to work on it instead. I took a risk and used RSD Lite and managed to get it back to .621. Now I am just not sure if I am still rooted or not. I'm thinking no. We'll see what happens when I re-download the bootstrapper and Titanium BU.

If you SBF'd using rsdlite you aren't rooted any more. And yes, flashing a non GB based rom will mess stuff up. Sounds like you are on the right track though.

machao17
12-01-2012, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the replies so far.

Now I'm encountering some other problems...

5. I flashed the .621 SBF using RSD Lite, as I mentioned before.
6. I tried to re-root using the Magic MD5 method (same as before). But this time, at the very end, the "! Android" icon appeared.
7. I did a battery pull and restarted...seemed like I still got root so I went ahead.
8. This time, I installed LYXR_621_1.0.zip (VXL, based on some positive feedback I saw in one of the gazillion tabs I had open).
9. The installation seemed like it was fine, but I got stuck in another boot loop (with a neverending vortext animation)!
10. So I repeated steps 5 and 6 above. Unfortunately, re-rooting for a 3rd time, the "! Android" reappeared and I'm now waiting my 30+ seconds with the battery out.

Any ideas about the "! Android" and the boot loop? I am going to try to do some more cache wipes prior to the installation next time.

GoCliffGo05
12-01-2012, 04:39 PM
After rooting and you get the Android! Don't you need to press volume up and down together to enter stock recovery and wipe cache? That's why it boots you to it. Also when flashing a ROM did you wipe data? If you didn't that's why you get boot loops.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

machao17
12-01-2012, 06:09 PM
@GoCliffGo

You're absolutely right. I misread/misremembered the "! Android" part and the reference that I used for the ROM flash did not do the factory reset in CMW. But now, I'm sitting pretty with the new ROM! This is exciting!

Thanks to everyone for helping me get it working!

jeems
12-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Cliff is the man!