PDA

View Full Version : Phone decision. I need of quick help! 8D

Wrapped
11-22-2012, 12:52 PM
Hello. So I've had my upgrade available for about a month. Can't decide what to get. My 4 phones I was considering were Razr HD, GNex, SG3, and the DNA. Well, browsing around today waiting for turkey dinner, I went to verizon's upgrade page and the 16gb and 32 gb GNEX are FREE with my upgrade. I assume it's a black friday deal and I don't know what to do! I love the fact that it's a nexus. I have the N7 and love it. What concerns me is if it's aging a little bit and I'm jumping on the bandwagon a little late, and the battery life.

So is this a no brainer? I pay absolutely nothing for a gnex, or wait for, most likely, the DNA?

Wrapped
11-22-2012, 01:53 PM
I think I'll pass on the gnex. The battery and camera criticisms are putting me off...

Goose306
11-22-2012, 02:09 PM
GNEX has actually been available for ~$0 for awhile now, not necessarily directly via Verizon, but other sources that sell Verizon phones on-contract like Amazon have been pulling rates about like that on and off for awhile now.

GNEX is a great phone, however to be honest if you are looking for a steal I'd be shopping for Black Friday deals on an SG3. Overall and all-around its still IMO the best device available, and there is a LOT of deals going on with them for Black Friday, I know my local Wal-Mart is selling them for $20 (technically its $120 with a $100 gift card with purchase) Sam's Club is selling them for less than a dollar on a renewal. So for about the same cost (or maybe shelling out a bit more dough but not much) you'd get, IMO, a much better device, and probably one of the best all around depending on what you are looking for. Here's the differences that I see in your choices:

RAZR HD: Good device. Has a decent processor, however less RAM than GS3. Battery is not removable so if you need to replace or carry spares its either difficult or impossible. Has a good HD screen on it. Infamous Moto build quality/reception, MAXX version would be recommended just for the battery life. If you're buying an on-contract renewal, you will get a locked down device, which will hamper development of course. The DX was lucky to receive as much love as it did, its unclear whether the RAZR HD will receive the same amount, especially with the existence of a Developer version in the wild (that you have to pay off-contract rate for, of course). I hear the camera is not-so-good. Cliff here has one, he may pipe up a bit more about them, that's just what I've heard from the interwebs, have yet to play with one much.

GNEX: This is the developer device so if you're going to be crack flashing this is the best (on Verizon at least) at this point. Being as Nexus 4 is not available on Verizon (yet, at least). Its a decent all-around phone, however some of the hardware is dated (some of it like the camera was dated even upon release). 5MP camera, no SD slot, battery IS removable/changeable (and recommended to get an extended as stock battery is pretty weak) LTE coverage/signal reception is flaky for some users. Screen is still pretty good, although there have been some which have improved on it at this point (obviously we are over a year ahead technologically). It still is *the* developer device on Verizon though, although also a lot of the developers also picked up GS3s.

GS3: This one is the most well-rounded IMO - I may have some bias as I have the device so I have spent a fair amount of time with it obviously. But it IS pretty well rounded and if you can pick it up for ~$50 or less on Black Friday, jump on it. The S4 dual-core is still plenty powerful for pretty much any applications (these quads aren't really being pushed to their full ability at all and probably won't be for ages, even the dual-core S4 is relatively future-proof - I'd say the best dual-core out there at this time). It has a removable battery AND sdcard. Screen is a decent 720p, it can be a bit dark in sunlight even jacked to the highest levels, but that's really the worst complaint. Signal reception is decent, perhaps not quite as good as Motorola (although they are the best) the most recent radio leak actually has me keeping on par dBm with the old DX so its pretty decent though. 2 GB of RAM is nice, the phone is always fast. Its not absolutely ENORMOUS like a Note 2 or similar - I was a bit concerned when I saw the size compared to the DX but its a nice shape that kinda snuggles into the hand and after a week I was over it and really like the extra real estate now. Camera is solid, one of the nicer ones out now, good sensor and software. Stock battery life is decent too, its generally a full-day device - not anything crazy like a MAXX but you can leave it on LTE all day and get 3-4 hours of screen time and 19 hours on-time on a charge, that's pretty solid. It does feel a bit plasticky and sometimes when I'm pushing LTE really hard it can feel worryingly hot - but if those are all the complaints I have I would consider that pretty mild. Development is relatively steady, we have support officially from pretty much all the major AOSP players and quite a few TouchWiz ROMs as well. Steve Kondik (MR Cyanogen himself) has a GS3 as his actual phone so pushes a lot of hardware development through. Its not a nexus crack flasher, but its probably one of the better AOSP experiences you will find in the wild for a phone not designed for AOSP. Oh, and I would snag that shiz asap if you want one. JB will be official in the near future by all words on the internet, with that will probably come a new (not-unlockable) bootloader. If you get one now, it'll still be on ICS, which can be rooted, recovery installed and fully unlocked so you can enjoy all the benefits of a truly unlockable phone without a gimped up bootloader. Plus once your rooted you can also flash JB, I've been on it for MONTHS now. (Basically about 2-3 weeks after I got it lol)

DNA: There isn't much info available now. The screen looks amazing, of course. I'm a bit worried about the battery (its actually smaller than the S3 stock battery and non-replaceable) its pushing much more pixels and two extra cores, which worries me a bit regarding the battery life that can come out of it. Of course performance should be absolutely beastung on it. Its going to be locked down though, and its unclear what the future of it will be. I heard Sense is pretty fast on it but does have some hiccups, would really like to hack AOSP on it as my preference, but with it being locked its development might be stymied. I'd have to say I have to see how this one will play out. I'd like to get my fingers on one to really see what its like and how the performance is before I really pass any further judgement on it.

GoCliffGo05
11-22-2012, 02:44 PM
Just to talk about the HD a bit more I personally like the phone. I had to buy off contract so I just went ahead and purchased the developer edition. The over all feel of the phone is very nice. Solid in your hands and comfortable. It does have 1 less GB of RAM but honestly unless you are a huge gamer or hardcore user you won't notice much of a difference. The battery is decent. I average about 4 1/2 hours of screen on time with a charge. If I let it sit idle I get well over a full 24 hours. It comes with 16 gig internal storage 11.5 or so useable and can be expanded to 64 gigs with an external card. The screen is beautiful but like with all the amoled displays you will occasionally notice "patches" on screens with a solid dark color. The stock feeling of the HD is very nice, and blur is very refined from previous Moto devices. It is pretty darn close to vanilla android, so that's nice. I don't like touchwiz on the samsung phones but that is easily dealt with with a ROM. The developer edition already has both CWM and TWRP recoveries with an alpha CM10 build out. The locked devices have SafeStrap 3 and a pretty basic stock JB ROM available, called vitreous I believe. The camera is easily the worst thing about the phone.... images are not impressive... Moto says this can be "fixed" to some degree in the JB update which is rumored to be released in the middle of December. Over all it is a solid device, worth a look. I'm sure there is more I wanted to add but for right now this will have to do.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Wrapped
11-22-2012, 11:39 PM
Wait, the Verizon gs3 has an unlockable bootloader?!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Droid X Forums

GoCliffGo05
11-22-2012, 11:45 PM
No, but there was a workaround found for it so it's not really an issue anymore.

Wrapped
11-23-2012, 12:06 AM
The S3 was my top runner until the free gnex and the DNA mixed me up. Wal-Mart will have it for $129 + a $100 instant gift card for black Friday. Too bad I work retail and have to work 4-1...

Wrapped
11-24-2012, 11:19 AM
That DNA is looking nice. A dude over at rootz has a somewhat unstable unlock for the bootloader.
S3 or DNA... oh the difficult choices in life!

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Goose306
11-25-2012, 10:31 PM
Wait, the Verizon gs3 has an unlockable bootloader?!

No, but there was a workaround found for it so it's not really an issue anymore.

Its fully unlocked. The insecure aboot that was leaked is just as unlocked as a Nexus, just no fastboot.

Tapped from the 4.2 unicorned N7