PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a stock Gingerbread rom, no rooting.

Rhio2k
11-22-2012, 08:50 AM
I got a second droid x from a co-worker that randomly shuts off on it's own and refuses to power on for a couple days, and looking at the internal hardware, it seems to be just a bad install of stock Froyo. I upgraded my own droid x to gingerbread a while ago, but misplaced the "update.zip" file. I want to also update this new droid x the same way I did the old one: no "bootstrap", no mods, just place the update.zip into the sd root, go into recovery mode, blah blah done. I've been looking for stock gingerbread.zip but all i can find are dead links to dead filesharing sites (megaupload, etc). Can someone help me?

Goose306
11-22-2012, 10:00 AM
Is there a reason you can't OTA? Reason. I ask is if you can't OTA likely stock recovery won't allow you to apply an update.zip because of all the signature/hash checks involved, clearly something in /system partition has been messed with if its still on Froyo, rooted previously or similar.

I know its slightly more hassle but you may just consider an SBF. It doesn't require root its just the Moto factory way of resetting/upgrading firmware. You could reflash a Froyo SBF the OTA up, or just SBF to the latest 621 if you have no intention of ever downgrading from there (can never go back, its also a bit of a pain to root it you ever want to do in future). If you OTA or apply update .zip packages you will need to apply at minimum two I believe to bring current, SBF may be an easier solution as you will only need to run it once for ~10 min and be done.

Tapped from my jelly-beaned d2vzw with 4.2 gapps

Rhio2k
11-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Is there a reason you can't OTA? Reason. I ask is if you can't OTA likely stock recovery won't allow you to apply an update.zip because of all the signature/hash checks involved, clearly something in /system partition has been messed with if its still on Froyo, rooted previously or similar. I know its slightly more hassle but you may just consider an SBF. It doesn't require root its just the Moto factory way of resetting/upgrading firmware. You could reflash a Froyo SBF the OTA up, or just SBF to the latest 621 if you have no intention of ever downgrading from there (can never go back, its also a bit of a pain to root it you ever want to do in future). If you OTA or apply update .zip packages you will need to apply at minimum two I believe to bring current, SBF may be an easier solution as you will only need to run it once for ~10 min and be done. Tapped from my jelly-beaned d2vzw with 4.2 gapps This phone was purchased from ebay as strictly just a small tablet/camera. Now that my coworker got an ipad, he no longer cares about this phone and gave it to me. It has a bad...uh...esn(?) which means it can't communicate with Verizon, so no ota updates. So I can sbf to official Gingerbread...is it done the same way?

Rhio2k
11-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Okay...all I'm looking for is the gingerbread zip file that was available back in 2011. You just download it, rename it to update (if it isn't already named that), put that into your rood directory, go into factory froyo recovery mode, and run it.then reboot, and you have gingerbread a couple minutes later. THAT'S all I want. I don't need to sbf cuz I'm already on stock froyo, and I don't want some heavily modded, tricked-out custom gingerbread build. I just need to install something besides froyo on this phone, which I believe is causing glitchy behavior, and I'd rather get gingerbread since I'm used to using it. Where is that zip file? It can't have just vanished off the net. You see dead links for it every time you read articles from 2011 about updating. Just googlw "Update froyo to gingerbread droid x", and read the articles you see on the first 5 pages of results.

BHuber09
11-22-2012, 02:18 PM
If you're only using it as camera then sbf the sucker. That'll fix everything. And there's tons of guides on it.

Tapp'd from one of my Nexus Devices

GoCliffGo05
11-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Like goose said you may not be able to use stock recovery. A SBF won't install some "tricked out" Gingerbread anything. It is the stock factory version of gingerbread that you would get through an OTA update. Let me find a link.

Edit: the sbf will cause you to lose any apps saved on the internal memory though because you will probably have to wipe data.

Edit 2: Ninja'd by B... what else is new.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

BHuber09
11-22-2012, 02:39 PM
Like goose said you may not be able to use stock recovery. A SBF won't install some "tricked out" Gingerbread anything. It is the stock factory version of gingerbread that you would get through an OTA update. Let me find a link.

Edit: the sbf will cause you to lose any apps saved on the internal memory though because you will probably have to wipe data.

Edit 2: Ninja'd by B... what else is new.

I getcha everyyyy time don't I haha

Tapp'd from one of my Nexus Devices

Goose306
11-22-2012, 02:47 PM
TBH an SBF is an easier solution as well because I'm not sure where the OTA ups go. The reason for that is it goes up in system version (Froyo .320, .340) (Gingerbread .596, .602, .605, .621) I know if you are on .320 Froyo you will need the .340 updater zip because of the updated bootloader (30.03 to 30.04) and newer signatures. I believe you can then directly OTA to .605, then .621 (when i say OTA I mean flash the recovery .zips) but you would need to track those down, and you are looking at AT least 2 zips that will be needed.

What is the current system version. I know you said Froyo, is it .340, .320? I can attempt to track down the OTA zips but no gaurantees. To be honest, as I said, doing an SBF will be better. Also, if any of that buggy/glitchy behavior is caused by other issues, SBFing will fix those. OTA won't necessarily. All the OTA update.zips do is install new apks and libs and removing old ones while keeping some legacy firmware on there. (This is one reason of many I dislike the OTA system) doing an SBF will completely wipe and reflash everything fresh to the device, and in one swipe you can go from where-ever you are now up to the current. Then you can do a factory reset to make sure none of the user data is affecting it, and you will be fresh.

Rhio2k
11-22-2012, 03:14 PM
TBH an SBF is an easier solution as well because I'm not sure where the OTA ups go. The reason for that is it goes up in system version (Froyo .320, .340) (Gingerbread .596, .602, .605, .621) I know if you are on .320 Froyo you will need the .340 updater zip because of the updated bootloader (30.03 to 30.04) and newer signatures. I believe you can then directly OTA to .605, then .621 (when i say OTA I mean flash the recovery .zips) but you would need to track those down, and you are looking at AT least 2 zips that will be needed. What is the current system version. I know you said Froyo, is it .340, .320? I can attempt to track down the OTA zips but no gaurantees. To be honest, as I said, doing an SBF will be better. Also, if any of that buggy/glitchy behavior is caused by other issues, SBFing will fix those. OTA won't necessarily. All the OTA update.zips do is install new apks and libs and removing old ones while keeping some legacy firmware on there. (This is one reason of many I dislike the OTA system) doing an SBF will completely wipe and reflash everything fresh to the device, and in one swipe you can go from where-ever you are now up to the current. Then you can do a factory reset to make sure none of the user data is affecting it, and you will be fresh. Man, these multiple versions are killing me. Yeah, it's froyo 340. If an sbf would help more, I'm, open to that, but I don't want to be doing something where I have to connect to my pc for it and go through a ton of installs and crazy steps. I updated my huawei s7 tablet to froyo from ics to froyo, and my first droid x from froyo to gingerbread last year, all without having to connect tp a pc. I just inserted an sd card with "update.zip" on there and flashed it each time. No need to download and install several apps and run something on the pc, which seems like doing the same thing, but the longer, more complicated way.

GoCliffGo05
11-22-2012, 03:19 PM
There is something called 1KDS ezsbf. You download a file, burn the file to a disk or USB, boot your computer from that disk and follow onscreen instructions. Very simple and the only thing you need to download is the 1 file.

Rhio2k
11-22-2012, 03:21 PM
There is something called 1KDS ezsbf. You download a file, burn the file to a disk or USB, boot your computer from that disk and follow onscreen instructions. Very simple and the only thing you need to download is the 1 file. Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2 Iiiinteresting...I'll check that out now.

GoCliffGo05
11-22-2012, 03:33 PM
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=267721
Linux solution to your Windows/RSD lite problems

You want the .605 one

Rhio2k
11-22-2012, 04:36 PM
Linux solution to your Windows/RSD lite problems (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=267721 Linux solution to your Windows/RSD lite problems) You want the .605 one Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2 Great, thanks folks, for helping me out on a day when many others have other things to do...you know...family stuff.