PDA

View Full Version : Dialer screen disapears when call is placed

platco123
11-18-2012, 09:30 AM
Replaced Droid X touchscreen and LCD screen, everything works fine except the dialer screen goes black when the call is placed. I've seen this topic mentioned in variuos forums but have yet to see a solution or possible solution for the problem! Most of the replies indicate it to be a possible issue with the proximity sensor but I cannot find any real suggestions for a fix? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Goose306
11-18-2012, 11:12 AM
Replaced Droid X touchscreen and LCD screen, everything works fine except the dialer screen goes black when the call is placed. I've seen this topic mentioned in variuos forums but have yet to see a solution or possible solution for the problem! Most of the replies indicate it to be a possible issue with the proximity sensor but I cannot find any real suggestions for a fix? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Prox. sensor is at the very top near the speaker. Check and make sure you have absolutely nothing covering that area within a couple inches when placing a call.

Beyond that if it still isn't working it probably has to do with you taking the screen apart. The sensor is really only active when's calls are placed. The prox. sensor can be disabled with some file editing if you are rooted, as a simple solution. Otherwise if you want it to work properly you are probably looking at tearing back into it to see what went wrong putting it back together.

Tapped from my jelly-beaned d2vzw with 4.2 gapps

platco123
11-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have taken the phone apart several times in an attempt to spot damage, or something I left unconnected but I can't identify anything. I would not know what to look for regarding the status of the proximity sensor? I don't have any aversion to "rooting" the phone if that is what it takes to fix the issue. Where would I find the "file editing" needed to to correct the problem once the phone has been "rooted"?

Goose306
11-19-2012, 06:59 AM
Rooting it will allow you to just turn off the prox. sensor. Keep in mind by doing so then the screen won't turn off when held to your face on call, but generally its the lesser of the two evils. Believe turning off the prox. sensor is done in the build.prop. A quick Google can find the answer if you decide to pursue that route.

Goose306
11-19-2012, 07:04 AM
Here is a post about disabling for a different phone but I believe it would work in this case as well.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1658474

All you do when its disabled is lock the screen when you hold it up to your face then unlock and hang up when done. A few more steps, but as I said the lesser of two evils. I believe prop edits can disable it too but the above method definitely should as its to disable it by disabling the driver.