PDA

View Full Version : Can't decide

Onethumb
11-09-2012, 12:54 PM
So I've decided to upgrade my fiance's phone for her this weekend and I figure I might as well do mine too. Right. Well she wants the SG3 and I can't decide if I want the same or the gnex.

Hammer'd out on my jacked up DneX

jeems
11-09-2012, 01:23 PM
You could be all matchy matchy! They both sound like nice phones so I think the clincher for me would be holding them in my hand. As much as I use my phone it has to feel nice in my hand which is completely subjective.

Onethumb
11-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Lol I'm just glad to break her of the Apple addiction. I'm curious to know if one or the other is basically unbrickable like my beloved DX. I would have to think the gnex would be just not sure about the SG3.

Leach19m
11-09-2012, 02:52 PM
They both have their plusses and minuses. The S3 has more ram and a slightly bigger screen, but it also has that silly physical button and the two capacitive buttons, where as the nexus's buttons are soft keys, so you can customize what buttons you have, how many you have, what they look like, and what they do. S3 has TouchWiz overlay, so you have an extra step slowing down the OTA process. Then again, developers are pretty awesome about getting the newest OS out as roms for it, so it may or may not be a real issue.

Tough call man. Either way, though, you'll be happy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Onethumb
11-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Any idea since I'm on the big red machine for a carrier as to the locked boot loader issue on the SG3. Is rooting as easy on them as they are on the x

Leach19m
11-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Ahhh that's another point. I don't know much about the S3 hacking, but I know unlocking the Nexus bootloader is super easy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jeems
11-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Any idea since I'm on the big red machine for a carrier as to the locked boot loader issue on the SG3. Is rooting as easy on them as they are on the x

[Guide] How To Root & [LIST] All ROM / Kernel Development [VZW / SCH-I535] - Page 4 (http://www.s3forums.com/forum/galaxy-s3-hacking-mods/2005-guide-how-root-list-all-rom-kernel-development-vzw-sch-i535-4.html#post34439)

Doesn't seem too bad to root. But lots of info on this sister site.

Onethumb
11-10-2012, 02:32 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm going to go with the SG3 first and maybe try the gnex within the 30 days. I'm sure the SG3 will win me over tho. See you all on the other side. Lol Ohhh and THANK YOU ALL for all the help i've recieved. Hopefully I can find a SG3 forum as good as this one.

DirtyDroid
11-10-2012, 05:43 AM
Conngrats onethumb, and check out our sister site at www.s3forums.com you'll see some familiars over there

tap'd from the Gnex

Goose306
11-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Grants onethumb, and definitely check out the sister site. The locked boot loader is a non-issue at this point because we received a leaked insecure boot loader so it is fully unlockable.

Tapped from my jelly-beaned d2vzw with 4.2 gapps

Onethumb
11-10-2012, 08:33 PM
Thanks again everyone. We are both extremely happy with these new devices. With her coming from Apple she is just amazed at what it can do stock and how snappy it is. Wait till she sees what I do to mine after rooting and a fresh Rom. I'm pretty excited to be in on the beginning of development for such an amazing device. Thank you all again for all the help and support.

Wrapped
11-20-2012, 09:05 PM
I'm struggling deciding too. I'm still going strong with my DX. My wife used up my last upgrade and hers. She broke two phones and used upgrades instead of insurance, since the price is pretty much the same depending on the device. But now she's happy with her phone, and an upgrade is available. I'm itching to get a new phone, but I'm not sure what to get. I can't leave my phone be, so whatever I get needs to be able to root, flash, and have a good dev following. I was looking at the new hd razrs, but all the forums I've seen has been devoted to the dev editions or the forums are empty. So I'm oogling the gnex and sg3...