PDA

View Full Version : Flash ICS rom via adb

AndroidTrainee
10-28-2012, 12:25 AM
So, here is my situation: my sd card slot is broke, i am in .604 milestone kernel adn i am rooted...
i want to know if there is any way to get an ics rom without SD card, maybe flashing it via adb...
Hope anyone could hlp, Thanks

BHuber09
10-28-2012, 12:29 AM
Alright challenge accepted..

Okay so how good are you with adb? And do you have the ROM downloaded as of right now?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

AndroidTrainee
10-28-2012, 12:41 AM
Alright challenge accepted..

Okay so how good are you with adb? And do you have the ROM downloaded as of right now?

I can use it with facility :rolleyes: No, i dont have the ROM, i have been away from this forum (i got an atrix) , so i dont know which is better now Thanks for the help my friend :)

Sent from my MB860

BHuber09
10-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Is the atrix rooted as of right now?

AndroidTrainee
10-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Yea, it is.

BHuber09
10-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Boot intro recovery and see if you get a serial with the devices command

AndroidTrainee
10-28-2012, 12:35 PM
If its the recovery, pressing home and power, no i dont get the serial, but booted up i get it

Sent from my MB860

BHuber09
10-28-2012, 12:52 PM
What about cwm recovery?

AndroidTrainee
10-28-2012, 01:17 PM
i have to flash it via fastboot, so, do you know where can i find the cwm.img?

Sent from my MB860

BHuber09
10-28-2012, 01:26 PM
Woah you have fastboot??
Use this recovery. It has an option to mount USB storage so you can use adb during it.
http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/72
But are you on an unlocked bootloader too?

AndroidTrainee
10-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Woah you have fastboot??
Use this recovery. It has an option to mount USB storage so you can use adb during it.
TeamWin Projects - TWRP 2.3 | TeamWin (http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/72)
But are you on an unlocked bootloader too?

Am confused, i thought i could use fastboot like in my atrix, now i googled, and i noticed it cant...Excuse me.
So how can i get a recovery without SD card?

AndroidTrainee
10-28-2012, 02:32 PM
Ok, so now i know that with SBF_Flash (i am in linux) i can flash the recovery, do you know where i can find the recovery.sbf?

BHuber09
10-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Hold on you lost me there. Can you not use fastboot? Because otherwise you will not be able to install a recovery.

And if you can't install a recovery then this will not work.

macpro88
10-28-2012, 07:03 PM
If he has a milestone, he might be fully unlocked, could you clarify what phone you are on?

also, I don't know you can flash .zip files via ADB, they have to be image files as far as I know, from back in my GNex days.

macpro88
10-28-2012, 07:03 PM
Moved to Off Topic Discussion

Goose306
10-28-2012, 07:42 PM
I believe he has a Milestone X and an Atrix... I believe he is attempting to do it on the Milestone X.

We need to get clarification though as the two devices will be quite a bit different.

Tapped from my jelly-beaned d2vzw

AndroidTrainee
10-28-2012, 08:14 PM
Excuse me, am always in both forums and i get confused :( I got a Droid X rooted with the milestone kernel method, and i got an atrix that doesn't matter here , srry

Sent from my MB860

macpro88
10-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Excuse me, am always in both forums and i get confused :( I got a Droid X rooted with the milestone kernel method, and i got an atrix that doesn't matter here , srry

Sent from my MB860

No worries :)

Now if its the Droid X on Verizon (please note that Droid X and Milestone X are actually different!) it has a locked bootloader which will prevent you from flashing images via adb/fastboot.

AndroidTrainee
10-28-2012, 08:46 PM
so, there is no way i can get out of stock :( i mean without sd card

Sent from my MB860

BHuber09
10-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Boot into cwm on the X and run a devices command. If you get a serial it might be possible

AndroidTrainee
10-28-2012, 09:12 PM
Remember, i dont have cwm :cry:

Sent from my MB860

BHuber09
10-28-2012, 09:41 PM
But you're on the DX right? So all you have to do is just use the bootstrap app to reboot recovery.

Wizard0f0s
10-28-2012, 11:09 PM
If you already have root, you can save the bootstrap apk to /preinstall and install it from there or via adb (adb might be easier actually).

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

AndroidTrainee
10-29-2012, 01:13 PM
:) i got in cwm
i thought that after the .604 kernel, cwm was deleted.
Ok, under which option do i have to make the adb devices command?

Sent from my MB860

AndroidTrainee
10-29-2012, 09:32 PM
??

Sent from my MB860

BHuber09
10-30-2012, 10:41 PM
sorry just saw this..

no just go into CWM and type
adb shell
adb devices

(I think shell is the right command right) WIZARD feel free to chime in Mr. Im a developer and know what to do here hahaha

AndroidTrainee
10-31-2012, 04:11 PM
Yup i got a serial :D

adb devices
*********** recovery

Enviado desde mi MB860

Sent from my MB860

BHuber09
10-31-2012, 04:46 PM
Sweeeeeet I thought you would.

Okay so whenever you download the ROM.zip extract it on your computer.

AndroidTrainee
10-31-2012, 07:27 PM
Sweeeeeet I thought you would.

Okay so whenever you download the ROM.zip extract it on your computer.

Got it, next? :)

BHuber09
10-31-2012, 08:10 PM
Okay blah blah blah I do not take responsibility blah blah phone burst into flames zombies attack ect. Be prepared to sbf all this is just in my theory, and I'm not an expert

Okay boot into recovery.

Then type into command prompt.

Adb shell mount /system
Adb shell rm /system
Adb push {/location/of/extracted/system} /

Inside the {} is the location of the /system you extracted.. while the / after that is where you are pushing it.

Make sure to not include the end backslash in /system/ just push /system

Make sure you understand it before you do this

AndroidTrainee
10-31-2012, 08:32 PM
Okay blah blah blah I do not take responsibility blah blah phone burst into flames zombies attack ect. Be prepared to sbf all this is just in my theory, and I'm not an expert

Okay boot into recovery.

Then type into command prompt.

Adb shell mount /system
Adb shell rm /system
Adb push {/location/of/extracted/system} /

Inside the {} is the location of the /system you extracted.. while the / after that is where you are pushing it.

Make sure to not include the end backslash in /system/ just push /system

Make sure you understand it before you do this

Lol, yea i know this is my responsibility blah blah ( a zombie :excited:)

-I understand the process, but what about the META-INF?

BHuber09
10-31-2012, 08:41 PM
That's for whenever you flash it. Cwm reads the files in it and tells where to place everything. No need to push it anywhere

AndroidTrainee
11-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Great, am going to try this :)

Sent from my MB860

BHuber09
11-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Okay let me know how it goes.

AndroidTrainee
11-01-2012, 03:16 PM
when i put the third command , it gives me the adb utilities and does nothing D:
In the push section it says : adb push <local> <remote> - copy file/dir to device

BHuber09
11-01-2012, 04:30 PM
Okay do this
Adb push /wherever/you/put//extractedsystem/ /system/

Try that one. Note the backslash after both of the locations

AndroidTrainee
11-01-2012, 06:20 PM
I did it and... failed, it pushed everything but keeps in M logo... now I am sbfing back :(

Sent from my MB860

BHuber09
11-01-2012, 06:36 PM
I was afraid of that. But this is trial and error but if that one didn't work this one should.
Adb shell mount /system
Adb shell rm /system/
Adb push /system/ /system/

AndroidTrainee
11-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Hey do you know how to use zergrushv4 root method on ubuntu?
EDIT: forget it am gonna use windows
Sent from my MB860

BHuber09
11-01-2012, 07:14 PM
You can't.
Its a batch file. What you could do though is open up the batch and do everything that it list in there.. much more complicated but it'll work.

AndroidTrainee
11-01-2012, 07:49 PM
I just noticed that there is a problem on the push the final command line says no space left on the device

Sent from my MB860

BHuber09
11-01-2012, 07:55 PM
That means you have >7gb on the internal storage.. seems a little ridiculous after a sbf

AndroidTrainee
11-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Ikr, any ideas?

Sent from my MB860

BHuber09
11-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Factory reset is the only one I can think of

AndroidTrainee
11-01-2012, 08:23 PM
I'll try after sbf and root

Sent from my MB860

BHuber09
11-01-2012, 08:36 PM
For future reference next time you could just
Adb shell rm /data/
Adb shell rm /cache/

That removes all those files in there, which is what a reset does

AndroidTrainee
11-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Kk, i will continue tomorrow :), of course thanks for every second you expend here, good night.

Sent from my MB860

Wizard0f0s
11-01-2012, 11:42 PM
For future reference next time you could just
Adb shell rm /data/
Adb shell rm /cache/

That removes all those files in there, which is what a reset does

You may have to use the recursive and force flags too. I do just out of habit, so I don't know if it works without them. That would be:

Adb shell rm - rf /data/*
Adb shell rm - rf /cache/*

Doing it as /data/, etc, without the * may remove the data and cache directories as well. It "should" rebuild them on the next boot, but that's another thing I've never tried before. Worst case you would manually recreate the directories and reboot again.

The main potential issue I see with doing this is the "rm /system". You'll delete the ADB binary in the process and that will kill your session (leaving you to sbf again). I've never tried to flash like this before, but there are a couple ways I can see to do it (potentially).

1) Setup adb and busybox in a partition you won't wipe until after the install (like tmp). Without rebooting, restart adb using the one in tmp (essentially kill adb and then run the ADB binary in tmp, but you'll need to do it in one shot). You may be able to run something like (adb shell "killall adb;/tmp/adb &"). I may have the syntax wrong for the killall command. The reason for busybox is that you will remove your ability to copy and link files when you remove it (when you delete /system). You'll have to manually go through the updater-script (in the zipped META-INF folder) after you get system copied in and create all the symlinks. You'll need busybox to do that.

2) Copy things over individually. Much slower and will take a lot more time. Possibly easier to not create an sbf situation though.

I'm quite entrigued by this. I've never tried this before. :beer:

BHuber09
11-02-2012, 01:56 PM
You may have to use the recursive and force flags too. I do just out of habit, so I don't know if it works without them. That would be:

Adb shell rm - rf /data/*
Adb shell rm - rf /cache/*

Doing it as /data/, etc, without the * may remove the data and cache directories as well. It "should" rebuild them on the next boot, but that's another thing I've never tried before. Worst case you would manually recreate the directories and reboot again.

The main potential issue I see with doing this is the "rm /system". You'll delete the ADB binary in the process and that will kill your session (leaving you to sbf again). I've never tried to flash like this before, but there are a couple ways I can see to do it (potentially).

1) Setup adb and busybox in a partition you won't wipe until after the install (like tmp). Without rebooting, restart adb using the one in tmp (essentially kill adb and then run the ADB binary in tmp, but you'll need to do it in one shot). You may be able to run something like (adb shell "killall adb;/tmp/adb &"). I may have the syntax wrong for the killall command. The reason for busybox is that you will remove your ability to copy and link files when you remove it (when you delete /system). You'll have to manually go through the updater-script (in the zipped META-INF folder) after you get system copied in and create all the symlinks. You'll need busybox to do that.

2) Copy things over individually. Much slower and will take a lot more time. Possibly easier to not create an sbf situation though.

I'm quite entrigued by this. I've never tried this before. :beer:

Haha I knew you'd drop in. But you know more about android and the file systems than I do so I was also hoping you'd jump in.
But for real I didn't expect it to work, but its worth a shot if it does haha

Wizard0f0s
11-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Haha I knew you'd drop in. But you know more about android and the file systems than I do so I was also hoping you'd jump in.
But for real I didn't expect it to work, but its worth a shot if it does haha

Yep. I'd never thought about doing this w/o a card available.

You were doing fine w/o me too. All I do is tweak til I break it more or fix it. The trick sometimes is figuring out what I did ;)