PDA

View Full Version : JoyOS - Another new Droid X ROM

Wrapped
10-18-2012, 12:28 PM
lobsterboy over at rootzwiki has translated a Chinese ROM called JoyOS over to our Droid X. I flashed it last night to try it out for him, and it's pretty similar to MIUI, just not as customizable, but it's lean at only 87 mb. At first boot everything will be in chinese so far, but just find the language settings and change it to english. I've only used it for a few hours, but it's really smooth and fast. The only thing that bugs me is that it's even more iOS than MIUI. No theme options. Things like these could obviously be tweaked with apps, like widgetlocker and launchers. But I'm gonna try this out for a few days at least. First reactions; It's iOS, but it's FAST!

It's GB, so just flash with a full wipe on GB kernel. And you'll need to flash the lastest GB gapps.

Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pgch8kho9j5nx01/android_v2.3.7_cdma_shadow_4.5.1_57_DX5-26.zip
(https://www.dropbox.com/s/pgch8kho9j5nx01/android_v2.3.7_cdma_shadow_4.5.1_57_DX5-26.zip)MD5=edc4200038b2a3e71894f08c505d0349

Original thread
JoyOS again - Droid X - RootzWiki (http://rootzwiki.com/topic/35379-joyos-again/)

AdamTomaino
10-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Nice to see something new for my DX!

jeems
10-18-2012, 12:44 PM
If mine was a spare I might flash it for giggles, but the best part about miui is that I can make it look however I want. Curious to see how it develops and maybe some screenies, though.

Wrapped
10-18-2012, 12:55 PM
I'll get some screens up when I get it going on my daily use dx. He had another thread with some screens, I'll see if I can find it.

Coronado is dead
10-18-2012, 01:01 PM
Oooh, tag. Since this is an iOS mimic, can widgets be used at all on the homescreens?

Wrapped
10-18-2012, 01:11 PM
Oooh, tag. Since this is an iOS mimic, can widgets be used at all on the homescreens?
Yes, widgets can still be used.

Coronado is dead
10-18-2012, 01:16 PM
:D

Well, I might have to try this sometime.

jeems
10-18-2012, 03:03 PM
I'll get some screens up when I get it going on my daily use dx. He had another thread with some screens, I'll see if I can find it.

Coolio. No rush. Just curious.

maybish
10-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Ohhh nice!

****May's Galaxy****

Wrapped
10-18-2012, 05:33 PM
Ok, so after using the ROM for most of the day on my actual phone not the spare, the launcher got on my nerves a little. You have one screen you can add widgets to. On my screenshots you'll see the little indicators on the bottom and one looks like the settings gear icon, that's where I have my fancy widgets and I can't move them. You can't freely place icons where you want, they have to be arranged from top left. There is a CM settings option, but it doesn't do anything. I'll continue to try it tomorrow and friday for battery life etc. So far I ditched the Joy launcher for ADW, and I think the lockscreen has to go too. But it's still really snappy and fast.

Wrapped
10-18-2012, 05:52 PM
Two more screenshots. Just the messenger app and JoyOS with ADW launcher.

eppdroid37
11-04-2012, 07:19 AM
I've downloaded this bit haven't flashed it. Can anyone point me in the direction to the latest Gapps ? Also , how do you get to recovery on this rom? Just want to know in case I dont like it. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Wrapped
11-04-2012, 09:50 AM
I've downloaded this bit haven't flashed it. Can anyone point me in the direction to the latest Gapps ? Also , how do you get to recovery on this rom? Just want to know in case I dont like it. Thanks in advance.

Download the goo manager app and get the gapps from there or from their website, www.goo.im
It's a 2nd-init rom, so you can reboot into recovery from rom manager, rom toolbox, or something like that.

eppdroid37
11-09-2012, 07:52 AM
My other question would be, how do you get to the language settings if you can't read Chinese? Lol....

Wrapped
11-12-2012, 09:58 PM
My other question would be, how do you get to the language settings if you can't read Chinese? Lol....

It took me a couple of tries. But the settings menu button is the same as most other ROMs. Then from the settings menu it shouldn't be that hard to find. Just check out a couple until you find it. I'm running liquid right now, so I can't check it. It's still going strong on my daughter's phone though. But I believe you get a drop down menu and it'll say "English". I recommend after changing it to English you hit the menu button and press "sort icons" or something. Some apps will still have Chinese titles, but the sort icons button will translate them.

Wrapped
11-12-2012, 10:00 PM
I wish it would have been in my screenshot a few posts ago. But at least you can tell from the screen that the language option isn't in the first two bubbles...

Wrapped
11-14-2012, 01:28 PM
It's the icon that says "Aa"...

eppdroid37
11-14-2012, 07:59 PM
OK. Flashed it, checked it out and I have some issues. 1. Which gapps zip do I use? There are a ton of them in the Goo Im app. 2. How do I get 3G to stay on in between reboots? Everything else seems to be OK.

Wrapped
11-15-2012, 09:29 PM
OK. Flashed it, checked it out and I have some issues. 1. Which gapps zip do I use? There are a ton of them in the Goo Im app. 2. How do I get 3G to stay on in between reboots? Everything else seems to be OK.

1. The latest dated one for gingerbread
2. You have to manually enter the APN. Didn't really fool around too much with this. There's an app included for it.