PDA

View Full Version : Nothing on this forum seems to work on Droid X .621

kioske
10-06-2012, 09:13 AM
(Wow, really?, now Post New Thread window's cursor is not working, 2nd try and it worked, thank god)

It's been a long day I tried to upgrade my Droid X's Gingerbread to an ICS. First, I tried pretty much everything specified here to root my Droid X .621 with no avail. There's like tens of methods all over the net with very poor instructions. Because apparently .621 (the latest) has a "special" way to hack. I could only manage to root it with an ISO image from another site. None of the one-click-root applications, cycling thru USB mode changes worked.

Anyhow, now that I have rooted my DX, I want to update the ROM to CM9 (which seems to be the best and latest available). In order to do that, you need to put it into Clockwork Recovery mode. Which is where I'm stuck right now. Everything, every method on the net always came up with an unexpected result/error or just did nothing. I downloaded ROM Manager, installed CWM with it, rebooted, it didnt work. Because no one tells you how to put the thing into Recovery mode after a boot (you need to do another Google for that after trying a few restarts in vain). And apparently putting a DX into recovery mode, has different ways (some say you should hold down both volumes and power-up, some say hold down home and power up, some even say hold down volume-down only and power up, which seemed to be the correct way for CWM, but didn't work for me). I then tried a bootstrap-1.....apk file aproach. Which was very challenging to upload even for a linux guru like myself. Of course, I managed to upload it into /system/app and it didn't work.

I'm looking for help on how to upgrade my phone to ICS. Looks like I have to learn hundreds of complicated steps to do that, rooting, installing CWM, making CWM work, updating ROM etc. Is there a way to make Clockwork Recovery mode work on a rooted Droid X .621?

wavecrasher
10-06-2012, 09:31 AM
I hate that you are having problems with this, I had the same frustrations. But, if you go to Goose306's thread "importand info for .621 update" and read the first and second threads they will guide you. Follow the directions exactly and be patient. Believe me it works. A couple of weeks ago I wouldnt even attempt to do this but now I it isnt bad. As a matter of fact, yesterday I went from cm7 to vortex to BlackIce to Liberty then back to Vortex. Wouldnt have tried that without these forums. And these guys are very helpful and will answer all questions. Be patient and good luck

kioske
10-06-2012, 10:35 AM
I hate that you are having problems with this, I had the same frustrations. But, if you go to Goose306's thread "importand info for .621 update" and read the first and second threads they will guide you. Follow the directions exactly and be patient. Believe me it works. A couple of weeks ago I wouldnt even attempt to do this but now I it isnt bad. As a matter of fact, yesterday I went from cm7 to vortex to BlackIce to Liberty then back to Vortex. Wouldnt have tried that without these forums. And these guys are very helpful and will answer all questions. Be patient and good luck

Thanks wavecrasher. I've read that forum before, but it tells you how to root a .621 only. Pretty much nothing about CWM Recovery or upgrading to an ICS ROM. I've already rooted my DX with a similar method from another site. But unfortunately rooting is only step 1 and again pretty much useless if you cannot update your ROM.

After hundreds of pages I surfed and read about hacking/upgrading Droids (or Androids for that matter) I now see better why Apple is winning this war and will eventually be the sole winner. And I also see that Samsung (and probably HTC too) will start developing its own operating system.

DirtyDroid
10-06-2012, 10:43 AM
Thanks wavecrasher. I've read that forum before, but it tells you how to root a .621 only. Pretty much nothing about CWM Recovery or upgrading to an ICS ROM. I've already rooted my DX with a similar method from another site. But unfortunately rooting is only step 1 and again pretty much useless if you cannot update your ROM.

After hundreds of pages I surfed and read about hacking/upgrading Droids (or Androids for that matter) I now see better why Apple is winning this war and will eventually be the sole winner. And I also see that Samsung (and probably HTC too) will start developing its own operating system.

Lol android is not far behind apple ....yes they have a polished os... but for only a handful of devices. . There are plenty of ways and how tons on this site to flash..I'll grab links in a second. .

Edit... you need to get d2bootstrap and hijack the recovery....then you can get ROM manager and update cwm .....also I would personally go with aokp or latest miui

Edit http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45783
Important Info for .621 Update!

tap'd from the Gnex

kioske
10-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Thanks DirtyDroid, d2bootstrap really kicked off CWM. And I upgraded to "a" CM9 but now I'm stuck at booting screen (cyanogen mod 9 boot animation keeps playing). Is there a way I can recover from this? and where can I get the latest AOKP ROM?

Edit: I did Home+Power ON and did a factory reset within stock recovery and now I was able to boot to CM9 (I think) main screen. Don't know what to do next. Still curious to see AOKP ROM though

GoCliffGo05
10-06-2012, 01:06 PM
Try AOKP from here http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/aokp/45623-rom-aokp-unofficial.html

C (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/aokp/45623-rom-aokp-unofficial.html)heck the ICS ROM's section of the forum for more ROMs. Ice Cream Sandwich ROMs (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/ice-cream-sandwich-roms/)

DirtyDroid
10-06-2012, 01:15 PM
Thanks DirtyDroid, d2bootstrap really kicked off CWM. And I upgraded to "a" CM9 but now I'm stuck at booting screen (cyanogen mod 9 boot animation keeps playing). Is there a way I can recover from this? and where can I get the latest AOKP ROM?

Edit: I did Home+Power ON and did a factory reset within stock recovery and now I was able to boot to CM9 (I think) main screen. Don't know what to do next. Still curious to see AOKP ROM though

No problem...also once you get the aokp ROM...just be sure not to use d2 again on a 2nd init rom, or else you'll be sbfing ..

tap'd from the Gnex

Toad
02-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Hello Dirty Droid,

I sent this to Goose through the "Important Info for .621 Update" thread as well; but saw that you had some valuable related threads as well.

I am a long time lurker who is usually able to solve my problems by playing with my X or reading solutions to other's issues. This problem, however, has me stumped.

I am running a .621 X that was rooted using the Magic MD5 sbf disk, and am trying to load the patched version of liberty Goose offers. I have tried three times and have ended up in a boot loop that does not progress past the red M (boot logo) stage of the process. I have been able to get into stock recovery, and perform the requisite wipes, however, rebooting gets me back into the bootloop each time.

I have tried with both the Droid X and Droid X 2nd init CWMs, using the Droid 2 bootstrap each time. I have followed the instructions for flashing and have had no luck. I also tried leaving the battery out over night, with no change in result. I have successfully flashed and run CM 9, Paranoid Android ICS, Liquid ICS and Black Ice ICS, so I know how to flash a ROM. I am just having trouble giving the blur based (in this case, Kejar and JRummy's Liberty ROM, as patched by Goose) a test drive.

I appreciate your help, Dirty Droid.

Thank You,

Toad

GoCliffGo05
02-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Check the MD5 of the download. It works, you might have a bad copy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Toad
02-20-2013, 10:02 PM
Thank You GoCliffGo!

I will try it out this weekend again and post my results.

Update:

Thanks again GoCliffGo!

I downloaded the patched Liberty 3 and wifi fix to my PC (per suggestion from Jeems and Goose (see "Important Info for .621 Update" thread)), and checked the md5 sum using MD5 Checker by Fabien Thalgott (per your suggestion). The MD5s checked out so I flashed.... successfully! Woo Hoo! I'm excited to test drive this ROM.

Thanks again for your response. :)

Toad