PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP?

Lane W
09-28-2012, 03:45 AM
I have had some serious issues w/ my Dell Dimension running XP Pro. I did a shut-down/reboot & it's now stuck on the awful Blue Screen.

I've been running Win. XP professional for 6-7 yrs & some of my software (accounting & my Act! database) is not compatible w/ Win 7. Anyone know how I could buy from Dell & customize the puter by having them load Win XP vs Win 7 that they are now using

Thanks for whatever u guys can share.

Lane

Note: See my notes 09/30 for heads up on AVG anti-virus - 2 posts down from here

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

HarleyDude
09-29-2012, 07:34 AM
I have had some serious issues w/ my Dell Dimension running XP Pro. I did a shut-down/reboot & it's now stuck on the awful Blue Screen.

I've been running Win. XP professional for 6-7 yrs & some of my software (accounting & my Act! database) is not compatible w/ Win 7. Anyone know how I could buy from Dell & customize the puter by having them load Win XP vs Win 7 that they are now using

Thanks for whatever u guys can share.

Lane

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

Hate to tell you this, but you'll probably be out of luck. Manufacturers are not writing drivers for their devices under XP, so any newer hardware will only have Win7 drivers. I spent a couple weeks trying to get XP working on a new Asus laptop. XP itself installed, but only after many issues, including reconfiguring the hard drive type in bios. Even then, virtually none of the peripheral hardware was working, as there are no available XP drivers

Lane W
09-30-2012, 12:35 AM
I suspected Win7 wouldn't have the drivers that could/would support XP - especially since it's a 10 yr old OS. I understand that Win7 can be "told" (control panel, settings) to operate on XP in a different mode, without installing XP. This is pretty cool, especially since my major business software is not compatible w/ Win7. Thanks for your feedback, I'll share a few things with you.

I brought it to Staples and spoke with a tech there I have known for a few yrs. He said they can get it working as it was prior to the crash (what they call their 'piece of mind' plan) for a cost of $200. Not too bad. All docs, pics, folders, etc will still be in the files/shortcuts on the desktop, but I will have to reload all the software. Still, not too bad to recover everything. They even warranty their work for 1 yr which really impressed me. I thought I was adamant about backing everything up, but learned the hard way "everything" wasn't & the auto-backup to the external hard drive needed some fine tuning.

I explained what happened to the guy at Staples & will share this w/ you for your own knowledge & perhaps others you know. I've been using AVG successfully for 10 yrs as an anti-virus. I got a default message that their 2013 version is available. I did this update and then a reboot that the program told me was necessary for the 2013 package to go into effect. It hung on "system shutting down" for 90 minutes so I did a hard reboot. Fatal error 00x00001 safety error, error system has been shut down. That's when the screen went blue & knew I was in trouble. The guy told me "AVG just ruined your computer." I was baffled that an anti-virus - that is there to protect the computer - could destroy it :confused: :mad: :confused: He said he sees this once a week & unfortunately, it just happens.

So be aware of AVG's potential damage to a computer after a major update (2012 version to 2013 version). Personally, after this I'm going back to Norton. Be advised

newmanx4
09-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Good to know. I still have one XP desktop and I have been getting the pop up for AVG 13. I will not be updating now.

Sent from my Black Iced X