PDA

View Full Version : Help clearing phone for replacement

accordlayingkit
09-17-2012, 10:49 AM
ive searched some old threads on the droid x forum app that said to check certain peoples sigs to finds instructions so i checked on my laptop through the browser and the members have apparently changed or deleted there sigs. So could someone point me to some quick and simple steps to jus unroot and stocked droid x? I have root explorer, z4, droid x bootstrap, rom manager, but i dont really use any of it, so im basically jus rooted stock to tether some. i dont care about saving anything as this is jus an extra phone, jus wanna clear it to send back for a replacement.

thanks!

GoCliffGo05
09-17-2012, 10:52 AM
What is your system version? Go to settings - - > about phone. Should end in 602 605 or 621. Easiest way to return to stock is just an SBF. I will find you some links and post right back. But let us know your system version first.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

accordlayingkit
09-17-2012, 10:59 AM
froyo Version. 2.3.340.MB810.verizon.en.US

accordlayingkit
09-17-2012, 11:01 AM
So im basically jus stock and rooted, jus need to erase signs of root, and wipe phone

GoCliffGo05
09-17-2012, 11:04 AM
Wow all the way back on froyo ;) Ok well you have three options. If you boot your phone into stock recovery (see how here http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-development-hacking/39559-how-get-stock-recovery.html you are on froyo so use that one. You can do a factory reset/data wipe to clean things out. But as BH pointed out you'll need to SBF to get rid of root. :)

Secondly, if you wanna be extra safe and bring your phone up to a more current version I would recommend the .605 sbf which will work just fine. However if you wish to remain on froyo then you can download that one too. It is totally your decision.

Here are the SBF files **DO NOT USE THE .621 file since once you are on it there is no going back. https://sites.google.com/site/motosbf/droid-x-sbf-files All of the other ones should work fine.

Here are instructions on how to SBF (if you are not familiar) http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/12015-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html

Y (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/12015-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html)our other option is to sbf via the 1KDS linux method. You download the version you want, burn it to a disc or put it on a Flash drive and boot your computer from the disc/flash drive. Here is a link for those. http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html

BHuber09
09-17-2012, 11:10 AM
Wow all the way back on froyo ;) Ok well you have three options. If you boot your phone into stock recovery (see how here http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-development-hacking/39559-how-get-stock-recovery.html you are on froyo so use that one. You can do a factory reset/data wipe from there and you should be ok.

Secondly, if you wanna be extra safe and bring your phone up to a more current version I would recommend the .605 sbf which will work just fine. However if you wish to remain on froyo then you can download that one too. It is totally your decision.

Here are the SBF files **DO NOT USE THE .621 file since once you are on it there is no going back. https://sites.google.com/site/motosbf/droid-x-sbf-files All of the other ones should work fine.

Here are instructions on how to SBF (if you are not familiar) http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/12015-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html

Y (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/12015-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html)our other option is to sbf via the 1KDS linux method. You download the version you want, burn it to a disc or put it on a Flash drive and boot your computer from the disc/flash drive. Here is a link for those. http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html

If you wanna get into stock recovery on froyo I believe when you get to the android with a triangle you need to push the search key to get to stock recovery. I think that's right I know it changed from something to volume buttons when GB was released.

And to get rid of root (if you want to) you will have to sbf.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

accordlayingkit
09-17-2012, 11:10 AM
Wow all the way back on froyo ;) Ok well you have three options. If you boot your phone into stock recovery (see how here http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-development-hacking/39559-how-get-stock-recovery.html you are on froyo so use that one. You can do a factory reset/data wipe from there and you should be ok.

ok thanks alot ill check it out

GoCliffGo05
09-17-2012, 11:12 AM
If you wanna get into stock recovery on froyo I believe when you get to the android with a triangle you need to push the search key to get to stock recovery. I think that's right I know it changed from something to volume buttons when GB was released.

And to get rid of root (if you want to) you will have to sbf.

Haha you're too quick. I edited it before you posted. ;p

BHuber09
09-17-2012, 11:52 AM
Ohhh you got me on that one haha

About time you beat me to a post hahaha

GoCliffGo05
09-17-2012, 12:03 PM
Lol what only two more to go?

BHuber09
09-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Lol what only two more to go?

Goodluck, not even Chuck Norris could do that one haha

GoCliffGo05
09-17-2012, 01:17 PM
I dunno. I think maybe you are underestimating Chuck Norris' abilities. You know they say that there isn't even a chin under that beard. It's just another fist. Hahaha.

BHuber09
09-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Hahah okay so he could maybe do it. Mayybe

We have hijacked this thread hardcore hahaha

accordlayingkit
09-17-2012, 03:25 PM
I wish chuck would come do it for me lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid X Forums

accordlayingkit
09-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Can I do this still if I have put another phone on the service and disconnected the X?

newmanx4
09-17-2012, 05:19 PM
Yes. It will put it to an inactivated out of the box state.

Sent from my Black Iced X

accordlayingkit
09-17-2012, 06:13 PM
So since I'm stock rooted on froyo its not as easy as delete a few rooted apps and uprooted since I have no clue when it comes to flashing of any sort? Lol

GoCliffGo05
09-17-2012, 06:28 PM
Nope. Sbf is the only way to clear it all.

accordlayingkit
09-17-2012, 06:32 PM
Ok ill have to fool with it when the kids and wife get to sleep... Gotta send it back tomarrow.. What screen does it bring me to when the X powers on with green writing? Clockwork right... I usually have to hit reboot system now

Jus get a bit overwealmed when I click on flash guide Page and it's 576 pages deep haha

GoCliffGo05
09-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Ok but if you are going to sbf why are you in clockwork? You need to go into bootloader to sbf.

Lol you only need the first couple posts in that topic to explain how to do it.

accordlayingkit
09-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Ok but if you are going to sbf why are you in clockwork? You need to go into bootloader to sbf.

Lol you only need the first couple posts in that topic to explain how to do it.

Haven't started yet but was jus saying anytime my phone ever powers off from maybe drained battery... When I cut it back on its goes to clockwork right away and I have to hit reboot system and then it starts up

So 1 little sbf takes care of it all? I won't have to delete any apps or unrot or anything huh?

GoCliffGo05
09-17-2012, 06:41 PM
Yeah that's what CWM is designed to do. Make sure you have a fully charged battery before you sbf though or you will run in to a problem.

After the sbf wipe data in stock recovery and it will be like a 'brand new' phone.

accordlayingkit
09-17-2012, 07:35 PM
Yeah that's what CWM is designed to do. Make sure you have a fully charged battery before you sbf though or you will run in to a problem.

After the sbf wipe data in stock recovery and it will be like a 'brand new' phone.

sorry im sure your saying "what an idiot" but in the sbf flashing guide thread, which # comments do i need to focus on, and do i download stuff to my laptop as im doing this?

GoCliffGo05
09-17-2012, 07:44 PM
I'm sorry I'm not at a computer to double check but here is what you should need. You need to download the sbf file from that link I posted earlier and put it in a folder on your computer. It will be in a zip file so unzip it in the same folder. You will need to download the latest Motorola drivers for your phone and you will need to download rsd lite. That should be all the things you have to download.

accordlayingkit
09-17-2012, 09:02 PM
anyone got a fresh rsd_lite 4.7 download link, the one i click says theres an error and wont go to it, and after downloading the motorola drivers do i need to open it and install it? i tried and it was showing the phone connected so i cancelled cause i wont sure if i was suppose to yet

GoCliffGo05
09-17-2012, 09:08 PM
I don't have a link handy but Google 'download rsd lite' there are newer versions up to like 5.6 or 5.7. About the drivers you can install them anytime. If your phone shows up they might already be installed just make sure they are the latest version.

You could also always just do the 1KDS link I posted. Other than your drivers you only need to download one thing, burn it to a disc and boot your computer from a disc. It's a bit simpler.

accordlayingkit
09-17-2012, 09:18 PM
I don't have a link handy but Google 'download rsd lite' there are newer versions up to like 5.6 or 5.7. About the drivers you can install them anytime. If your phone shows up they might already be installed just make sure they are the latest version.

You could also always just do the 1KDS link I posted. Other than your drivers you only need to download one thing, burn it to a disc and boot your computer from a disc. It's a bit simpler.

so hook my phone up via usb and install the motorola drivers before i do any of the flashing?

GoCliffGo05
09-17-2012, 09:23 PM
You don't need to hook your phone up for that part. The drivers are for your pc only. Just go ahead and install them before you do anything else.

accordlayingkit
09-17-2012, 09:40 PM
In bootloader and it's doing its thing I hope... 35 percent executed so far

accordlayingkit
09-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Ok the drivers installed, then I got the red M then the reboot went to 100 percent executed and in status on rsd lite it says "please manually reboot phone and the red eye keeps spinning"... Ok now it powered up on its own. Dang looks alot different than froyo haha all my apps and stuff are there now... Superuser still shows tit backup, root explorer, and z4...does that mean I'm still rooted? And do I wipe phone now? If so how? Lol sorry for all the questions?

Privacy settings and factory data reset? nevermind i see where you said to wipe data earlier, thanks Gocliff for holding my hand with this hahaha i need a mixed drink now!! Thanks to everyone else that commented as well, i really appreciate it!

GoCliffGo05
09-17-2012, 10:14 PM
You're on gingerbread correct? Check settings - about phone to make sure the worked. If it did turn your phone off, press and hold the home key and then press and hold the power key until a screen with a triangle on it appears. Then press volume up and volume down at the same time to get into stock recovery. From there navigate to data wipe/factory reset with the volume keys and then press the power button to execute.

And the questions are definitely no problem.

Edit: lol in wrote this before I saw your edit. Just make sure the sbf worked. Other than that you are good to go. And it's been no problem. :)

accordlayingkit
09-17-2012, 10:24 PM
You're on gingerbread correct? Check settings - about phone to make sure the worked. If it did turn your phone off, press and hold the home key and then press and hold the power key until a screen with a triangle on it appears. Then press volume up and volume down at the same time to get into stock recovery. From there navigate to data wipe/factory reset with the volume keys and then press the power button to execute.

And the questions are definitely no problem.

Edit: lol in wrote this before I saw your edit. Just make sure the sbf worked. Other than that you are good to go. And it's been no problem. :)

yea im on .405...didnt do the stock recover part i dont think as it rebooted itself, i did the wipe data and at the welcome to droid x screen with the blue triangle at the top...should i touch the android to begin or jus package it up? Well it actually only gives me option to activate cause i dis connected earlier...but im pretty sure it work... it was gingerbread and then i did the wipe. Is it a problem to never get into stock recovery to get the yellow triangle like you say cause i didnt do that before the factory reset! oops

GoCliffGo05
09-17-2012, 10:27 PM
605? Ok. That's the activation screen. I would just bypass the activation. Touch the top left corner of your screen, then the top right corner, then the bottom right corner then the bottom left corner. That should get you to your home screen so you can look through your apps without having to activate it. I'm guessing you are ok now after the data wipe though.

accordlayingkit
09-17-2012, 10:34 PM
geezz how do you guys know this stuff!?!? yea jus factory apps....system version 4.5.605.MB810.Verizon.en.US Android Version 2.3.3

GoCliffGo05
09-17-2012, 10:39 PM
Lol. You sound like you are all set then.

accordlayingkit
09-17-2012, 10:41 PM
Lol. You sound like you are all set then.

yup thanks a bunch....defiently couldnt have done this with a 4 year old running around and 6 month old crying and the wife saying are you almost done geezz hahaha

GoCliffGo05
09-17-2012, 10:44 PM
Hahaha, happy to help. It's what we're here for.