PDA

View Full Version : Migrating from Droid X, what to though?

minigts
09-03-2012, 12:45 PM
It seems it's ok to post this here, so here I go. Got the Droid X, love it, but the buttons on the front started having problems, tried to replace the little strip and all but the return now works. :) Before it was only the return button, so looks like I made it worse. haha

ANYWHO, I like the Motorola interface over some of the others, although the Samsung brand seems ok and similar to the Droid X from what I've seen. My question is though, which phone would YOU go with while on the Verizon network or should I get something unlocked and just go that route? I'm not considering price a factor as much as the OS and rootability. Right now my sights are on the Razr MAXX and the Samsung S III, but I haven't done much research on either, although I'm fairly certain the Razr MAXX is rootable or has been done already.

Thoughts? BTW, sticking with Verizon, so moving isn't an option for me unless someone can REALLY justify going to AT&T or Sprint. Had both and AT&T is not my favorite carrier, Sprint is ok.

GoCliffGo05
09-03-2012, 12:55 PM
If you are going to stay with Verizon i would suggest the Galaxy S3... It is by far the "best" phone out there right now and the development scene is soaring from what I understand.

minigts
09-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Well that's something to think about. I've been really happy with the roms for the Droid X, but development is probably EOL and I would imagine there isn't much for the Razr just because I don't ever hear about it, but that may be a bad assumption. Seems to be those two phones (Razr and SIII) are the top o' the line with Verizon. Hmm, well going tonight to get a phone, so we'll see what is available I guess.

You don't have to change plans when getting a new phone do you? I have a good plan and only need the phone.

mhans311
09-03-2012, 02:10 PM
You can keep your plan if you pay full price for the phone. Verizon is supposed to be offering a dev unlocked GS3. I'm not sure if they are already selling them or not but it's something to look into especially if you are into the rooting scene.

I wouldn't buy any other phone right now on Verizon unless it was because of price only.

Bionic'd from my tapatalk.

Goose306
09-03-2012, 02:26 PM
You can keep your plan if you pay full price for the phone. Verizon is supposed to be offering a dev unlocked GS3. I'm not sure if they are already selling them or not but it's something to look into especially if you are into the rooting scene.

I wouldn't buy any other phone right now on Verizon unless it was because of price only.

Dev unlocked S3 is completely unnecessary and will probably never see the light of day now that we have insecure aboot with the standard version. TBH I wouldn't he surprised if dev version was just a cover go leak the insecure aboot

Tapped from my jelly-beaned d2vzw

mhans311
09-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Dev unlocked S3 is completely unnecessary and will probably never see the light of day now that we have insecure aboot with the standard version. TBH I wouldn't he surprised if dev version was just a cover go leak the insecure aboot

Tapped from my jelly-beaned d2vzw

Yeah I agree. The only reason to get the dev unlocked GS3 is to support Verizon in offering it so that they will hopefully do it in the future.

stryker
09-03-2012, 04:12 PM
Well that's something to think about. I've been really happy with the roms for the Droid X, but development is probably EOL and I would imagine there isn't much for the Razr just because I don't ever hear about it, but that may be a bad assumption. Seems to be those two phones (Razr and SIII) are the top o' the line with Verizon. Hmm, well going tonight to get a phone, so we'll see what is available I guess.

You don't have to change plans when getting a new phone do you? I have a good plan and only need the phone.

The razr dev is poppin. They just figured out a way around the locked bootloader. It is called kexec. There are like 3 or 4 new kexec roms that came out last week. There are Ton of normal roms too. I love my razr maxx. Battery is crazy good. But there are always phones with better specs dropping, but have yet to see one that matches the battery of the maxx. Choose wisely.

-=[.stryker.originals.]=-

minigts
09-03-2012, 06:43 PM
The razr dev is poppin. They just figured out a way around the locked bootloader. It is called kexec. There are like 3 or 4 new kexec roms that came out last week. There are Ton of normal roms too. I love my razr maxx. Battery is crazy good. But there are always phones with better specs dropping, but have yet to see one that matches the battery of the maxx. Choose wisely.

Yeah it seemed that was the case listed in the specs for the device. Is it TOTALLY unreplaceable or just that you'd have to pull the phone apart to get to it? Guess I'm not that worried, but just in case, right?

Went by the store today and they are trying to charge me $30 to upgrade?! I get a $30 discount on the devices, but they charge me $30 to move me to a plan that is not unlimited (which changes what I have now, unlimited), doesn't really make sense to me. Asked if they would waive the fee since I've been with them for like 5+ years, always pay my bills, always on time and typically have spent around $100/month average. I know that isn't a lot, but I have one phone on my plan. They said they couldn't so I left. I'm honestly willing to pay for a full price device vs. caving to Verizon. I don't get it. People leave LEFT AND RIGHT with cell phone carriers now a days, you'd think they would try and retain some. I mean, I was going to do a 2 year and do the 2GB cap since the guy told me I don't even use 1GB a month. It's a no brainer to me for them. But maybe they're thinking the same, $30 now one time vs. buying a $400 device. But my contract is up this month and I'll be month to month. Just doesn't make sense to me, but that's how it goes.

Looking on eBay now for Samsung S III and the Razr MAXX. I see some Samsungs that are GSM, but Verizon is LTE, correct? Or do I need a class in cell band technology? :)

Thanks again to everyone who replies, this site has been very helpful in so many ways and not a bunch of jerks, like I ran into on the BB forums YEARS ago!! haha

minigts
09-03-2012, 06:49 PM
One additional question that I think I know the answer to. If you buy a phone and need to activate it to replace the one you're using, you just call and have them activate the new ESN and deactivate the old one, correct?

GoCliffGo05
09-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Verizon is LTE yea and that should be correct about the activation. Just call or drop in a store and it should be a quick process.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

minigts
09-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Verizon is LTE yea and that should be correct about the activation. Just call or drop in a store and it should be a quick process.

Thanks, I'll see which direction I take based on the phones; either the S III or the MAXX.

stryker
09-04-2012, 06:43 AM
Your can replace the battery on the maxx. U just need too take it apart. A lot of people are jumping in that s3 though. That might be a better option.

fezrock
09-04-2012, 06:54 AM
Thread moved to Off Topic Discussion

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

minigts
09-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Your can replace the battery on the maxx. U just need too take it apart. A lot of people are jumping in that s3 though. That might be a better option.

Yeah, still debating. :\

I think one final question. When I have say a phone that operates on EVDO/CMDA, whatever, and I go to a phone that operates on LTE, this doesn't automatically put me into a different data plan via the phone does it? The reason I ask is, if I buy one outright (S III or MAXX) and take it up to Verizon, will they try and pull some stupid punch and say because I'm going from a Droid X to one of those, that's a data plan change since they run on different operating bands or whatever? Or should I be able to walk in, say this is the phone I want get activated and drop my other one and be done with it, no questions asked? Sorry, I know this is going to happen regardless, but I'm trying to get an unlocked phone that will be mine, avoid the stupid "network" fees and also be month to month. Just wondering if they have the ability to get their fees regardless.

Goose306
09-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Yeah, still debating. :\

I think one final question. When I have say a phone that operates on EVDO/CMDA, whatever, and I go to a phone that operates on LTE, this doesn't automatically put me into a different data plan via the phone does it? The reason I ask is, if I buy one outright (S III or MAXX) and take it up to Verizon, will they try and pull some stupid punch and say because I'm going from a Droid X to one of those, that's a data plan change since they run on different operating bands or whatever? Or should I be able to walk in, say this is the phone I want get activated and drop my other one and be done with it, no questions asked? Sorry, I know this is going to happen regardless, but I'm trying to get an unlocked phone that will be mine, avoid the stupid "network" fees and also be month to month. Just wondering if they have the ability to get their fees regardless.

No they shouldn't be able to. If you read carefully your plan is Unlimited DATA and EMAIL. Data is data - doesn't matter if data is coming down from 3G, in 1X/EV-DO, or LTE. Its all data.

That being said, be very careful still when you do it. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to slip you to a tiered or non-unlimited plan of some sort. Just hold firm, and you will get it.

*Note: this is based on current Verizon policy. This is just policy... there is nothing legally binding to it. So Verizon can change their policy on that behalf at any point. But currently, if you buy a phone off-contract, then you should be able to change it. Doesn't matter what bands its running over.

minigts
09-04-2012, 10:48 PM
Ugh, so there are two used items on eBay. A Samsung SIII for about $460 and a MAXX for $400. I honestly don't know which to go with. Will someone just decide for me and get it over with?

BTW, thanks for your input Goose!

GoCliffGo05
09-04-2012, 10:51 PM
For $60 more? SIII

minigts
09-04-2012, 10:52 PM
For $60 more? SIII

That's sort of what I was thinking. And the seller is local, so I'd get the phone in a day. Man I like the MAXX, but I watched a video of a rooted S III and it looked really smooth.

DroidlynnXDoes
09-04-2012, 11:19 PM
My Mum and brother love the Galaxy S III. They both have them. She has Verizon and he has T-Mobile

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

minigts
09-04-2012, 11:49 PM
My Mum and brother love the Galaxy S III. They both have them. She has Verizon and he has T-Mobile

Thanks man! Contacted the S III seller, so we'll see how this goes.

stryker
09-05-2012, 05:43 AM
Get the s3. I love my Max, but development is pretty much over before it even began. That's why I now build themes for launchers every phone can use.

minigts
09-05-2012, 11:46 PM
Got the S III and it's just awesome. The guy thought it came with a 16GB card, but lo and behold, it has a 32GB!! Guy was great to deal with. Can't wait to root this mofo and see how awesome it is. The keyboard or text input sucks I think, but that's compared to a rooted DX I had, so once this is rooted I'll have the keyboard and input I like.

Soooo...a little awkward. I don't want to leave the support this forum has, but I think I'll have to move onto another forum that supports the S III. :( I promise I'll write and visit when I can.

GoCliffGo05
09-05-2012, 11:51 PM
A lot of members here have the sIII so if you have a general question post it in the off topic area and they may be able to help. Otherwise yea, keep in touch with us.

DroidlynnXDoes
09-05-2012, 11:54 PM
Thanks man! Contacted the S III seller, so we'll see how this goes.

You're welcome

DirtyDroid
09-05-2012, 11:57 PM
Soooo...a little awkward. I don't want to leave the support this forum has, but I think I'll have to move onto another forum that supports the S III. :( I promise I'll write and visit when I can.

Congrats...Like cliff said quite a few members got the S3...and you don't have to leave this place, no worries in hanging around....You will probably see some familiar "faces" at our sister site ;) Galaxy S3 Forum (http://www.s3forums.com/)

maybish
09-06-2012, 08:02 AM
Congratulations!!! It is a sweet phone!! Come on over to the s3 forums! We'll be waiting!

***May's Galaxy***

minigts
09-06-2012, 10:46 PM
Thanks again, especially for the links. I'll definitely go there for support. I've already rooted it and have a basic Rom on it, but I've heard the CM10 is out so I'll look at that one.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid X Forums

DroidlynnXDoes
09-09-2012, 11:17 PM
Got the S III and it's just awesome. The guy thought it came with a 16GB card, but lo and behold, it has a 32GB!! Guy was great to deal with. Can't wait to root this mofo and see how awesome it is. The keyboard or text input sucks I think, but that's compared to a rooted DX I had, so once this is rooted I'll have the keyboard and input I like.

Congrats! The Galaxy S III takes great photos! I can get that same quality with my rooted DROIDX's

minigts
09-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Congrats! The Galaxy S III takes great photos! I can get that same quality with my rooted DROIDX's

Man you are not lying! The camera takes incredible pictures, light or dark lighting and quick at that. Got TONS of options for it, voice recognition is amazing. My DX seemed to miss a lot of words I spoke, this has been pretty accurate or close if not exact. But I LOVE this thing, although I know I would love the MAXX too, love Motorola's stuff. But this deal fell in my lap and so far I've been able to root and unlock the boot loader pretty quickly. Sorta waiting on a ROM that is stable though. Heard CM10 is really good, but got some bugs. Main thing is, I want camera, radio and tethering capabilities without issues. I tried a base hacked ROM and the camera worked, but it wouldn't store or allow access to the gallery, so that was gone quickly. Still haven't had time to get on the SIII forums and read through the current stuff, but I will soon enough. Right now I enjoy the phone exactly as it is, so I may just go with this for a bit. Still on my unlimited plan and my contract runs out this month, so I'm right where I want to be unless they change the rules. :$

DroidlynnXDoes
09-11-2012, 11:38 PM
Man you are not lying! The camera takes incredible pictures, light or dark lighting and quick at that. Got TONS of options for it, voice recognition is amazing. My DX seemed to miss a lot of words I spoke, this has been pretty accurate or close if not exact. But I LOVE this thing, although I know I would love the MAXX too, love Motorola's stuff. But this deal fell in my lap and so far I've been able to root and unlock the boot loader pretty quickly. Sorta waiting on a ROM that is stable though. Heard CM10 is really good, but got some bugs. Main thing is, I want camera, radio and tethering capabilities without issues. I tried a base hacked ROM and the camera worked, but it wouldn't store or allow access to the gallery, so that was gone quickly. Still haven't had time to get on the SIII forums and read through the current stuff, but I will soon enough. Right now I enjoy the phone exactly as it is, so I may just go with this for a bit. Still on my unlimited plan and my contract runs out this month, so I'm right where I want to be unless they change the rules. :$

So happy for you! I'm happy with my X's. I love the X cuz its simple. Funny to say that cuz I have played with every single Droid Does phone out there. I like to keep things simple